Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I tended to go rapier and hit up a datacenter on my second or third mission. I like Xu so I don't have to waste power on safes. I also haven't played the DLC yet though so maybe one of the new starting daemons is better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Originally, agents had only maybe one line at the beginning of the mission. The little dialogues they have now were added in a patch a few months ago. It's possible they could add more if people pushed it enough.

WarLocke posted:

^^^: Internationale is great but I kind of feel like I'm treating her wireless uplink augment as a crutch. I am so used to being able to hack terminals from 6 squares away, but there are so many other agents...

She really is quite a crutch, because not only do you not have to navigate to the terminals, you're getting a key preview of the room's contents. Internationale allows you to hugely ignore PWR management AND navigate levels faster than you normally would. The sooner you get used to playing with other agents, the better, because even with all that in mind she's still not the best.

My suggestion is to play with all of the "natural" pairings: Shalem/Banks, Nika/Xu, etc. They tend to be pretty well balanced against each other, leaving only one or two weaknesses that you'll hopefully patch with your rescued agents. Shalem/Banks might be the hardest one since it's the only pairing (in the base game) without real PWR support, so you'll need your best programs an maybe some Hacking items to keep them afloat, depending on who else you pick up.

Plus, if you don't start with Internationale, there's a VERY good chance you'll pick her up from a detention center, and she's one of the best rescue picks. :)

Bhodi posted:

This is why I dumped parasite. It's just not viable above beginner unless you go straight for an alternative program; that additional camera activation makes it too much of a liability.

Parasite is super good at all levels, it just can't really carry you through the whole game on its own like some starters can. For late-game you just need to pair it with a heavy option for the things you need to bust right this second. It pairs really well with the Wrenches, for example, because it can knock firewalls down to the exact number of the Wrench.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Zombie Samurai posted:

Plus, if you don't start with Internationale, there's a VERY good chance you'll pick her up from a detention center, and she's one of the best rescue picks. :)

So talk to me about detention center rescues. You only get what, 6 operations in a (non-Endless) runthrough? If you try to pick up two more agents, that only leaves you 4 ops to gear up all your guys - seems like it's a balancing act to decide between 2 agents who are pretty geared/statted up versus diluting it all among more guys?

e: I totally forget that I had some random steam wallet money from idling/selling cards. DLC purchased, now if only my laptop didn't grind to a halt trying to run this. :negative:

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

WarLocke posted:

So talk to me about detention center rescues. You only get what, 6 operations in a (non-Endless) runthrough? If you try to pick up two more agents, that only leaves you 4 ops to gear up all your guys - seems like it's a balancing act to decide between 2 agents who are pretty geared/statted up versus diluting it all among more guys?

e: I totally forget that I had some random steam wallet money from idling/selling cards. DLC purchased, now if only my laptop didn't grind to a halt trying to run this. :negative:

I generally get way more missions than 6 in a play through and there's even more with the dlc now. You still gain a grand to two grand from guards/safes in the level AND you get another dude which is great because that's more attacks/exploration/guardsquatters per turn. I go for rescue missions asap since even if they don't have a weapon I can always use them to pin 2+ guards while my other guys steal everything.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah, though if you seek out Nanofabs in other missions you can usually give them alright gear.

If you have the expansion though, you get a lot more time to gear them up, and also the money and mission flexibility to choose how you do so. I was able to get a 6 slot Sharp even though he was my 4th member (admittedly, only on Experienced and not on Expert). It isn't all gravy though -- you're basically required to invest in armor piercing solutions once you hit expansion content.

I just finished my Experienced run yesterday and had a lot of fun. Draco is great, though once again that was due to Archive Shalem giving him 3 skillups per charge pack. I definitely want to try Archive Prism, though the PWR cost seems a bit steep. Unlimited stealth seems to probably be a decent enough tradeoff -- I'll have to fish for servers to deploy.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The first mission on Day 1 is always a 12 hour flight, and then every mission thereafter is between 5 and 12 hours. That means you can theoretically get all the way up to 12 missions between that first executive terminal and OMNI. You should always go for two detention centers, and the sooner the better. Agents don't need gear or skill points to loot safes or achieve objectives, and if you rescue someone with a killer augment like Xu or Internationale, you're golden.

EDIT:

RoboCicero posted:

I just finished my Experienced run yesterday and had a lot of fun. Draco is great, though once again that was due to Archive Shalem giving him 3 skillups per charge pack. I definitely want to try Archive Prism, though the PWR cost seems a bit steep. Unlimited stealth seems to probably be a decent enough tradeoff -- I'll have to fish for servers to deploy.

If you're ballsy enough to run Faust or Dynamo, you can run her cloak indefinitely. I heartily endorse Dynamo because it gives you all the PWR you need to do anything you want, and gets you more comfortable with working at the upper alarm levels.

But even if you're not running her cloak 24/7, it's super handy. I mean, it's a cloak with no cooldown. How many times have you peeked into a room full of guards and cameras and wished you could just walk in, do the thing, and walk out? Also, you'll be saving PWR on hacking cameras, turrets, and other security systems off the main path since Prism can just slip in and out.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 16, 2015

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Common solutions to supply PWR for prism's disguise include accelerator chips (this is how I'm getting through my expert plus endless run, currently on day 9), buster chips (she starts with one!) or dynamo as a starting program since then you can disguise for free anytime after alarm level 2.

I have a portable server III but it actually doesn't feel all that useful, you have to find a good hiding spot for it as guards will pick it up if they see it and you'll lose it forever, and you have to make sure the spot you pick won't inconvenience you toward the end of the mission since you'll have to go back to pick it up before you leave.

My personal preference if I'm taking Prism is that I'll probably also be taking Seed as a starting program, that way I can hack things for free regardless of how much PWR I have, then my PWR reserves are all dedicated toward using her disguise.

I'm starting to like Dynamo a lot, actually, especially paired with the new Golem program, I can take it a bit slow at the beginning and hack two firewalls for 2 or less PWR, then when dynamo kicks in I can be a little more aggressive with hacks since PWR will regenerate so fast.

Fano fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 16, 2015

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Zombie Samurai posted:

The first mission on Day 1 is always a 12 hour flight, and then every mission thereafter is between 5 and 12 hours. That means you can theoretically get all the way up to 12 missions between that first executive terminal and OMNI. You should always go for two detention centers, and the sooner the better. Agents don't need gear or skill points to loot safes or achieve objectives, and if you rescue someone with a killer augment like Xu or Internationale, you're golden.

I just managed to beat the game on the second try on advanced(too cool for beginner :smuggo: ) but two extra agents seems like a bit much. On my first game , where I lost both Internationale and Decker on a detention run and got to face omnicorp with two old dudes and banks, I managed to get 8 missions.
On my second run I managed 9. I rescued prism early on and after some scrounging, managed to put her on satchel duty with shock traps and emps but another dude would have stretched my resources thinner.

I managed to win somewhat easily despite fumbling some early missions due to botching Fusion recharge timing(not a problem after getting Prism and root program) .
I had Banks on regular door opening duty and Nika for kicking rear end, but I failed to recognize that an upgrade with +1 to ko is not penetration, so with my plan to slam faces on the last mission gone, I got both her and banks tier 3 cloaks instead and ran circles around the guards. Those who got to monst3r door ate a shock trap.

Now trying expert. Only having 2 turns of melee stun and less money is brutal.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

I don't know how optimal this is but I try and do it on all my endless runs asap and on most of my story runs, especially now that it's longer. Getting someone up to max anarchy doesn't just give you an 'increased chance to steal items' but rather an insanely increased chance to steal items, like going from 0 items stolen to 3+ per level. Most of the time it's charge packs and med gels which is essentially free money once you've paid off the skill cost but usually you'll get a few cloaks or emps which can make the lategame much easier.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I never bothered to level anarchy. I thought it would just generate additional credits. Really good to know.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I typically only level anarchy past 2 if I find items that require it (notably, Shock Trap 3).

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

I never bothered to level anarchy. I thought it would just generate additional credits. Really good to know.

Some levels can be a crapshoot where off of 4 guards you just get a med gel or a charge pack. But sometimes it can get insane, like one level I got 2 emp IIIs + cloak I + 3 charge packs + 2 med gels when there was 8 guards.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Just had a ludicrously profitable Detention Center run; beyond rescuing Nika and all of her expensive gear (which was a wonderful thing to learn captured agents keep) I also gathered close to 2k Credits, which went directly into the nanofab that spawned to buy a Shock Trap III and a KO on Cloak aug that I'll probably cram into Derek to mitigate the fact that he doesn't carry a taser. I'm a little hesitant though, because I'd like to still be able to cloak near an unaware guard without KO'ing him; is that part of the effect, or is it just 'guards looking at you'?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RandallODim posted:

Just had a ludicrously profitable Detention Center run; beyond rescuing Nika and all of her expensive gear (which was a wonderful thing to learn captured agents keep) I also gathered close to 2k Credits, which went directly into the nanofab that spawned to buy a Shock Trap III and a KO on Cloak aug that I'll probably cram into Derek to mitigate the fact that he doesn't carry a taser. I'm a little hesitant though, because I'd like to still be able to cloak near an unaware guard without KO'ing him; is that part of the effect, or is it just 'guards looking at you'?

It's automatic. It auto-KO's every guard within its range whenever you cloak, and it also makes noise, which the game doesn't tell you. I think the KO range is 3 tiles and the "makes a noise" range is either 6 or 8 tiles. The KO effect doesn't need line of sight or anything, it'll even KO guards through walls. It is a strong augment with a lot of weird nuance to it you wouldn't really expect.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I think it would be super useful to break the blob of guards that tends to form near monst3r hacking room. Put a few to sleep and lead the rest away running cloaked. It should form more manageable groups.
I did a similar thing but with two normal cloaks and a shock trap.

Edit: I CAN CARRY AUGS! Why is this not the thread title? I was conserving Nika's tools in the stash hoping to find a surgery mission. But then I acquired the power generating one and was carrying it around to give it to Central, when I noticed the little +1... Just max strength and now she's a blitzing beast that uses unconscious guards as pit stops. I hope to get her to speed 4 soon to use the stim that adds another attack over the usual ap to see her cross the whole map.

This should have been a joke run, trying Faust+brimstone+central AND expert for the first time... I didn't really expect it to go smoother than my advanced run.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 18, 2015

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

gnome7 posted:

It's automatic. It auto-KO's every guard within its range whenever you cloak, and it also makes noise, which the game doesn't tell you. I think the KO range is 3 tiles and the "makes a noise" range is either 6 or 8 tiles. The KO effect doesn't need line of sight or anything, it'll even KO guards through walls. It is a strong augment with a lot of weird nuance to it you wouldn't really expect.

They patched out the noise making part. A good thing too, because it was an inexplicable disadvantage that made the aug finicky to use.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"See you in hell operator". Central pulls no punches when you fail the mid way mission.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tafferling posted:

I think it would be super useful to break the blob of guards that tends to form near monst3r hacking room. Put a few to sleep and lead the rest away running cloaked. It should form more manageable groups.
I did a similar thing but with two normal cloaks and a shock trap.

Edit: I CAN CARRY AUGS! Why is this not the thread title? I was conserving Nika's tools in the stash hoping to find a surgery mission. But then I acquired the power generating one and was carrying it around to give it to Central, when I noticed the little +1... Just max strength and now she's a blitzing beast that uses unconscious guards as pit stops. I hope to get her to speed 4 soon to use the stim that adds another attack over the usual ap to see her cross the whole map.

This should have been a joke run, trying Faust+brimstone+central AND expert for the first time... I didn't really expect it to go smoother than my advanced run.

Wait hold on, you mean when someone is holding an AUG they still get its benefits? Even if they don't install it? Holy crap, that's a game-changer. And doesn't sound like something that's supposed to happen.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Faust.jpg

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

gnome7 posted:

Wait hold on, you mean when someone is holding an AUG they still get its benefits? Even if they don't install it? Holy crap, that's a game-changer. And doesn't sound like something that's supposed to happen.

I browsed their forums for a bit and apparently is intended.
I'm really hurting for space now but Nika doesn't need anything besides his taser.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I am in love with this game – bought it this weekend and I've had some time to play it now. I'm running with Derek and Internationale along with Parasite which seems borderline broken. I freed Draco from a Detention Center but I'm not really sure how to kill people. So far I've been able to hack drones and have them shoot people, which usually brings undesirable collateral. Why can't Draco just choke people out?

Also, are there are any bugs I should watch out for or other things to keep in mind?

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

The only bugs I've run into are graphical glitches, like using a teleporter with one of the new characters and he just disappears until you move him after teleporting.

Parasite is awesome but in Expert/Expert+ it becomes less powerful as firewalls increase at a fast rate and start out higher. I believe you need to find some lethal weaponry, but ya other than that you can only use drones and some hacked guns.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Boatswain posted:

I am in love with this game – bought it this weekend and I've had some time to play it now. I'm running with Derek and Internationale along with Parasite which seems borderline broken. I freed Draco from a Detention Center but I'm not really sure how to kill people. So far I've been able to hack drones and have them shoot people, which usually brings undesirable collateral. Why can't Draco just choke people out?

Also, are there are any bugs I should watch out for or other things to keep in mind?

I did wonder why I couldn't KO someone and then when they're down, have the option to kill. It's probably better the way it is, because oh man playing pin-a-guard while trying to hack and exfiltrate and whatever is fun as hell but sometimes you really need this one guard to just stay down forever and they're three quarters of the way across the map from the teleporter and you haven't been giving Decker enough speed and

:negative:

(cloaking: literally saved his life)

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Psion posted:

I did wonder why I couldn't KO someone and then when they're down, have the option to kill. It's probably better the way it is, because oh man playing pin-a-guard while trying to hack and exfiltrate and whatever is fun as hell but sometimes you really need this one guard to just stay down forever and they're three quarters of the way across the map from the teleporter and you haven't been giving Decker enough speed and

:negative:

(cloaking: literally saved his life)

Yup you're completely right, the game would be way too easy if you just could make corpse-piles á la Dishonored or Mark of the Ninja.

Do agents and programs unlock as you complete/fail more campaigns or did I do something special to unlock Shalem and Banks?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
It's just the normal unlocking progression. I haven't tried Shalem yet but banks is really handy to have around.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
IIRC you get points or whatever based on how well you do in a given campaign, and those points build up towards the next unlock.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tafferling posted:

It's just the normal unlocking progression. I haven't tried Shalem yet but banks is really handy to have around.

Banks' ability to unlock doors without a keycard is really drat useful. Worst case scenario is it frees up an inventory slot for something else.

Shaylem's +1 Armor Piercing augment doesn't seem that useful at first (at least it didn't to me), but when even on Easy late-game guards start having 3+ armor (and I'm assuming even more in higher difficulties), Shaylem might make for a good "Yeah, this guy needs to die" pointman.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally finished Expert + EX. Still shaking like a leaf from the tension and I am so not doing that again.

Nika came through big time with her Shock Trap 3 Cloak 2 + 3 and a disruptor 3 + Piercing Scanner. Tied down 80% of the guards with spot sprinting, cloaking up to trap doors, tazing dudes to leave in the open in that lower right room. Every time the trap went off the alarm tracker would throw a poo poo fit from all the heart monitors going off. I didn't even have to use the rewind for the final mission. The OMNI Protectors got stupid strong with firewalls as high as 14. Shock traps are mandatory. You have to play unfairly to a insane degree to match how unfair Expert plus is.

I got super lucky when I gave M0nst3r the key card so he could unlock doors exactly when needed to control guard pathing and for his run back to the mainframe.

Had Fusion and Emergency power which meant I almost never ran out of power unless I really tried. Had the old standby Lockpick v1 and Parasite v2. Would have liked to have Lockpick v2, but it was no to be.

I started the game with Nika and Draco, the same combination that got me the Expert run. Half way through Draco got caught so Nika has to do a couple missions solo before breaking him out of prison. Two person teams seem to work out well as it means there are less dudes you have to hide and the quality of what you have is higher. Draco never got the opportunity to level up much as lethal weapons weren't avaliable until I got the Flurry gun just before the final mission. Had to abort 2 Loot Locker missions as there was just no way to do it while getting the UPS and getting out.

I now avoid high level FTM missions since they can go wrong very quickly without your input. Plastech isn't so bad anymore if you're willing to play aggressively.

They have changed the Flurry Gun to fire once per mission, period. So no more getting 2 attacks out of Nika nor unlimited attacks with Stim 4 nor passing it around like the village bicycle. It massively reduces the usefulness of the Flurry gun so be aware.

Anyone know what the new program "Cycle" does? It seems like a really bad program based on it's poorly written description.

Now for day 20...

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

oohhboy posted:

Anyone know what the new program "Cycle" does? It seems like a really bad program based on it's poorly written description.

Cycle gives you 3 Power every turn, but it does it by setting your Power to 3. I can see it working out okay with Golem + Parasites, but having only 3 power at the start of every turn no matter what is very weird. I haven't gotten it yet so I don't know how it works with Dynamo or Power Drip, but guaranteeing 3 power to start every turn with seems pretty good if you make sure you use up your Power every single turn. Removing your ability to stockpile power or ever use more expensive programs without hacking a terminal the same turn (Hunter and Oracle are the big ones there) is a hefty downside.

But if it combos with Power Drip or Dynamo so you start every turn with 4 or 5 power, no questions asked, Cycle is incredible. I really want to try out that combo and see if it works like it should, or if the Cycle triggers after automatic Power gains, which would make it really bad.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is a terrible program. Not being able to stockpile power is awful as it kills your options well before mid game comes up as any firewall over 1 is going to give you all the trouble of Parasite v1 without any of it's long term advantages. It should stack with Power Drip and Dynamo as they seem to get invoked last after things like Parasite. You also have to consider the waste from every point of power you don't use.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

oohhboy posted:

Finally finished Expert + EX. Still shaking like a leaf from the tension

Funny. This is the only game that has literally made me sweat and it is a turn based game.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Step 1: Install Cloak on Stim Aug
Step 2: Install +6 AP on Cloak Aug
Step 3: Steal Stim IV from a security locker
Step 4: :byewhore:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I honestly prefer stim 3 to stim 4, especially with the cloak on stim aug.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Tafferling posted:

I browsed their forums for a bit and apparently is intended.
I'm really hurting for space now but Nika doesn't need anything besides his taser.

Am I reading this right? :siren: just holding without implanting any AUG gives it's effects :siren: that can't be right?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I'm doing it right now. It's amusing thinking about Nika tazing people nonstop while juggling four extra arms. I'm on the last twelve hours and the rng didn't give me any surgery or prisoner mission. The downside is that she can't carry anything, I have to choose just one between stim, invisibility or dart gun or really anything else.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Well, that makes cyberlab missions go down a bit on priority list certainly...since now I can just shop at the nanofab for AUGs without having to worry about having a slot.

Feels a bit overpowered, though.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Well it does take up a precious space in your inventory that could be used for more active items but I wish I knew about it earlier.

Armor piercing seems horrible in endless now, just go shock traps or anything that ignores armor and then it becomes much easier to deal with.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I want single step rewinds. I ruined my game by misclicking the ko box and instead of shooting I tased a downed guard again.
RIP roiding Nika

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
New stuff:

I just finished the Foundry. Monster took everything in his inventory! He was carrying a lot! Is there any way to get it back?

I'm really liking this so far but that was really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Cheston posted:

New stuff:

I just finished the Foundry. Monster took everything in his inventory! He was carrying a lot! Is there any way to get it back?

I'm really liking this so far but that was really frustrating.

Nope! Had the same thing happen when the bastard stole my EMP I (he was only carrying it in the first place because I looted an EMP III earlier, but still). I'd love it if they just put his stuff in the storage after the mission, though you only have the four spots, so it might not work perfectly.

• Locked thread