Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Jackie, Phoebe, Tyler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'll probably be closing votes in 7 hours in order to get started on the next update.

If for some reason you want to vote but haven't yet, now's the time.

Current results are:

quote:

Phoebe: 10
Nadia: 7
Zack: 5
Jackie: 4
Rheine: 3

Sophie: 2
Freyja: 2
Milly: 2
Tyler: 2
Colette: 1
Realga: 1

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Spielmeister posted:

Jackie, Phoebe, Tyler

Isoprene
May 9, 2013

I wouldn't change these friends for anything.

I didn't really notice until this LP, but the two bear Beast portraits really have that :( face going on. Look at those pitiful puppy dog eyes!

Also, I'll never get tired of watching dinosaurs fall in holes. Definitely my favorite FOE gimmick. :allears:

Voting for Zack, Jackie, and Rheine.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I wonder if the programmer who finally got the idea to offload save data to the SD card (starting with PQ) got a raise :v:).

Given that pretty much every 3DS game saves to the SD card (AFAIK), it wouldn't have made sense for Atlus's 3DS titles to not do the same.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

C-Start posted:

I didn't really notice until this LP, but the two bear Beast portraits really have that :( face going on. Look at those pitiful puppy dog eyes!

Also, I'll never get tired of watching dinosaurs fall in holes. Definitely my favorite FOE gimmick. :allears:

Voting for Zack, Jackie, and Rheine.

Puppy Bear Eyes. :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Aerdan posted:

Given that pretty much every 3DS game saves to the SD card (AFAIK), it wouldn't have made sense for Atlus's 3DS titles to not do the same.

Well, I guess it didn't make sense then because it took them three games to do it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'm fairly certain offloading stuff to the SD card is something Nintendo intended only for "extra content," for whatever that nebulous term is worth. EO4 and EOU both write their "Extra Data" to the SD card using this.

PQ was where they started using that "extra content" feature for core game stuff--namely, it's where all map data (even for cartridge saves) is written to. EO2U then started using it for full-on game saves, with one save slot on the cartridge itself; map data for this save is written to the cartridge, unlike PQ. I think every map is stored on the SD card in PQ due to how much information that game stores in its maps compared to other EO games; there's a LOT more icons you can use, color variations for each icon, a bunch of different states for dynamic shortcuts, etc.

Also I'm exercising my divine right as an LP'er to shorten the voting deadline by one hour! So there's only one hour left to vote.

Rea fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 21, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
And our party for the rest of the 1st Stratum up to its boss shall be:

quote:

Phoebe: 11
Nadia: 7
Zack: 6
Jackie: 6
Rheine: 4

Tyler: 3
Sophie: 2
Freyja: 2
Milly: 2
Colette: 1
Realga: 1

Landsknecht/Protector, Survialist/Gunner/Sovereign. Pretty decent party!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Looking forward to seeing party synergy here. Mostly because they're the group that we HAVEN'T seen yet. In assume we'll have another party vote before the Strata boss? In which case, I want to see our little hexer come in and poison kill it far earlier than you probably should. :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 4 conclusion: Around Town with Quona

Before we swap over to our new party, let's take care of The shopkeeper girl.

Alright, we're ready.
Thank you, kids! I'll bring her out right now!
Y-Yes.
Mommy's going now, so take good care of the store, okay? You'll be fine. You can do it. You're mommy's little pumpkin! If anything happens, ask the adventurers, okay?
O...Okay... B-Be careful.
I'll be going, then. Take good care of Quona, okay? Bye now!
Uh... ...Uhm......
Rrr!
Y-Yes... L-Let's...do our best... Uhm... Mommy taught me how to run the shop already... I-I'll just...call for you...if...uhm...anything happens...so...please...just be there...
Well, we'd be pretty bad caretakers if we just wandered off...

Fade to black.

Uhm...please...d-do you have a minute?
Yes?
Uhm...w-well, a guard showed up just now...

Ngh. You guys are adventurers, right? Sorry to bother you just after meeting you, but I need to find something... You all have a Citizenship Card, right? It's that identification document you got when you completed your first map thing. It's real important. Can't stay in High Lagaard without one of those. But, uh... See, I think I might've dropped it somehwere...and I was wondering if you could find it for me...
...you're serious, aren't you.
W-what she means is, of course we will.
Oh! That'd be great--hnnghk...! When I get excited, my head starts throbbing again...
Uhm, so, this man...he was too drunk to go home, so another guard left him here with us... But when he woke up, he couldn't find his Citizenship Card anywhere in his room...
Rrr?
No, I haven't looked anywhere yet... I wonder where I should be looking in High Lagaard...?
Why does everyone but me understand this bear perfectly...
Uh... Uhm... Mister, you were drinking last night, so maybe at the bar?
Oh! Right! You're right! I do remember drinking at the bar...! Gah...my head hurts even from talking...
Uh, uhm... I-Is it okay if I...come with you? I-I asked for the help, so...s-so I want to try my best until the very end...
Well, if you think the store will be okay while you're gone, then yes.
Okay...! We'll be right back.
If you'll only be gone for a little bit, then I guess I'll watch the shop. Sorry for having caused all this...

Eh? Wow, even the little missy from the inn is here too. She end up joinin' yer party? Haw haw!
Um...

Fade to black, followed by:

Mm, really... Yeh lot really know how to pick the strangest requests. Well, there was a guard in here makin' a ruckus. But I didn't see any Citizenship Cards dropped in this shop.
You already checked?
Yeah, 'cause I had to clean the entire drat bar up when he was gone! That idiot got so rowdy, he spilled drinks all over the floor! I had to clean up after him. No way I'd have missed it.
So, Mr. Guard had it on him the whole time until he left...?
S'pose that's what it comes down to, yep. Sorry I couldn't help yeh out more.
N-No, it's fine. Thank you...
Okay... Thanks, Mister. Byebye.
Awright, go get it done!

Uhm...

Another fade to black.

Ah, I see. You're looking for the Citizenship Card that the guard has lost.
Did a guard come here yesterday?
Yes...but there were a lot of them, so I don't know if any of them were the ones that lost their card... And we haven't found any lost Citizenship Cards lately, either.
I see...
I'm sorry, Quona. When customers come, I'll be sure to ask them about it, okay?
Th-Thank you, Abigail...
You two seem like good friends.
Oh, yes! We're about the same age, and our parents own shops, so we see each other a lot at the events and such. Right, Quona?
Th-That's right... Ehehe... Ah, I'd like to stay and chat, but we have to go find the Card...
Ah, you're right! I'm sorry to have taken your time! Good luck, Quona! You too, everyone!
Yeah... Thanks! Bye-bye!

N-N-Nice to...um, nice... Nice to m-m-m...
...Did I do something wrong?
...she's just like this.
Hmm, is that so. I guess it takes all kinds. So, what brings you all the way to my store?
Uh... Uhm...

Yet another fade to black.

...Wow. That's one clumsy guard. Sorry, but no guard that stupid came to this store. Hmm...if it's related to citizenship, then maybe you could ask Grandpa. ...It's probably not exactly his field, but he might have some clue.
Th-Thank you, um, for...telling...me.
Oh, okay. ...Hope you find it soon.

Ah... Y-Yes... Uhm...

Fade to black.

Hmm... A guard lost his Citizenship Card. That certainly is not good.
W-Would you happen to, um, k-know anything about it?
I'm sorry to say, young lady, but I do not know here the lost Card would be.
Make it a mission, then. We have exploring to take care of.
Eh? Perhaps you're mistaken. It is not I who decides the missions. They're national matters. A personal request such as this should really be reported at the bar... Hrm. Given your luck thus far, however, I doubt that would produce any rewarding result. Ah, perhaps you ought ot try looking at the Explorers Guild? Most citizens turn in lost articles to there, you see? Of course, for explorers, the rule is usually finders keepers, but anyone with a heart would turn in a lost Citizenship Card.
D-Does that mean we should go to the Explorers Guild...?
I cannot guarantee you will find it there, but it's certainly worth checking, hm?
I-I under...st-stand... Uhm... Th-Thanks... Minister...
Ho ho. I did not do anything to deserve your gratitude.

H-Hello...
This is a rare sight. Did you have something you wanted to ask me?
Uhm...

Pretend I put in a fade to black here instead of telling you about it.

So drunk, he lost his Citizenship Card... Tsk. I expected better self-control. I'll have to make a note about this. Oh, sorry--the lost Card... I haven't heard that any Cards have been found around here. Which means that the lost Card you're looking for is not here either.
I see...
We'll go look somewhere else, then.
You're doing a, um, great job so far, Quona.
Th-Thanks... Ehehe...
No, wait. There's no need to look for the Card anymore.
Huh...?
It's not that dire a matter. We just need to issue him a new card. That's all.
...you can do that. We just wasted 15 minutes of our time?
Of course. It's fairly common for someone to lose their Card by some accident or other mistake. ...Of course, it's not that often that a Guard gets to drunk to keep a hold on his...
Huh...? I don't understand...
Ah, I apologize. Let me clarify--I can provide a replacement for the Card that this guard lost.
I'm glad... Okay, Mister Guard can stay in High Lagaard, right?
: Rrr.
Yay...!
It seems you've completed your search. Now, if you would, please inform the guard that I am expecting him here. There are things I must ask him to do, before the reissuing of the Citizenship Card... I'm looking forward to it indeed.
O-Okay... Then we'll head back... okay?

No, we...haven't...found it...but you can get it...reissued...at the, um...Explorers Guild... So...it should be, um, okay...now...
Hey, you're right! I totally forgot you could do that. It's like an epiphany. Alright, I got it. I'll rush over to the Explorers Guild, then. Thank you guys so much. Now that I'm not so stressed, my hangover's getting a lot better! Bye now! Thanks a lot!
I'm...glad...Mister Guard...could be happy...
You did well just now.
I guess so... Eheheh. Then...I'll...go back to...the reception...okay?

Last fade to back, I swear.

I'm baa-aack! Sorry to have kept you waiting, Quona. Was everything okay?
Oh, mommy... Welcome home.
My goodness, it seems like you did a good job of minding the store!
Yeah... The adventurers were here...and helped me...when I was...in trouble...
My oh my, is that so? Thank you, kids!
Um...wait, how did it go again...oh, yeah. We always fulfill our quests!
Well, well! You always know just the smoothest things to say, don't you? Oh, I left the reward at the bar, so go grab it when you have time, okay? And... Quona, don't you have anything to say to the nice explorers? You should at least say thank you!
Uhm... Th-Thank you for...staying at...the store with me... I-I was really glad...that you helped...me...when I was in trouble... So...if you can...please come...talk to me again...sometime? Um... Th-That's...all...
My oh my, look at your face! You're beaming, Quona. But I'm glad to hear you're excited for something. It does me good to see you this happy, pumpkin.
Mommy...
That's it! That's all I needed from you. Thanks for looking after my darling!
See you...again...

My period key is screaming in agony right now.

In any case, Hanna's talk dialogue for 3F:

I heard you made it to the 3rd floor! Well, my goodness... I guess I underestimated you loves. Oh, I didn't mean any offense. Just, you loves don't seem the hardened explorer types, so I was a little worried. But I suppose you're doing just fine! Keep up the good work!

Oh, welcome back! Everything go okay with the little missy? ...Well, to be honest, I already heard the gist of what happened from the innkeeper lady. Yeh watched the store, and even took care of some busywork... Haw! Yeh're good kids! I'd flat-out refuse, or demand cash! Yeh got a little bonus on yer reward as a way of sayin' thanks... Yeh really have a nose for sniffing these out. Even if yeh would've done it anyway, s'pose this is what they mean when they say that what doesn't kill yeh makes yeh stronger! Eh? I'm usin' it wrong? Who cares? Just siddown and have a round of drinks...! What, on me? 'Course not! Haw haw!

Amritas are godly consumables. They restore your TP when you consume them. The only big problem with them is that they're in limited supply until the 4th Stratum.

Rea fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 8, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Atlus have been getting progressively more stingy about giving you ways to restore your TP mid-exploration.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Update 4.9, AKA "Lumen and Quona's Excellent Adventure"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Supremezero posted:

Update 4.9, AKA "Lumen and Quona's Excellent Adventure"

Can't wait for Lumen and Quona's Bogus Journey!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 5: Dinophobia

Everyone ready to go?
You bet! I've been waiting for this since you all got to Lagaard!
Why are we the ones that have to explore the Labyrinth now, again? This seems rather abrupt.
Hospital put out a call for Medics. Somethin' about a massive shipwreck and the hospital being badly understaffed. Said they were willing to pay. Guess where Realga went.
I saw Stardust volunteering to help a theater group with a show they're putting on, too. She brought Ursa to act in it, too.

I gathered up a lot of stuff while training up the rest of the guild.

A lot of stuff.

Leather Whip is unlocked by selling 1 Gum Hide, Papillon Collar is unlocked by selling 3 Venomous Wings, and Leather Hat's unlocked by selling 3 Soft Furs.

Here's the new party's starting equipment. I opted for Leaf Sandals on Nadia and Jackie due to the fact that bow and gun damage works off AGI, and Leaf Sandals provide +1 AGI. The 2 DEF difference between them and the Papillon Boots is insignificant at best.

Zack's starting build. I put 4 points into Tornado, which is a Cut attack that deals 50% splash damage to enemies around the primary target. It's also a prerequisite to Hurricane, which I will want later on. My reasoning for only putting 4 points in is while the damage goes up by around 30% from level 4 to 5, the TP cost also goes up from 7 to 12, which will strain Zack's TP pool. I opted to put that point in Sword Mastery, which unlocked Blinding Slash. Without talking about it too much, Blinding Slash is a decent skill that requires a pretty large skill point investment to make work. I won't be using it.

Phoebe's starting build. Front Guard is a very useful skill that reduces physical damage to the front line for one turn. Rear Guard does the same thing, except for the back line...which already has a damage reduction in place, making Rear Guard really bad.

Leveling Shield Mastery up to level 3 unlocked the elemental Walls, which received a huge nerf compared to EO1-3 in EOU that's carried over to here: they only activate once per character during a given turn. They're still very much worth leveling up for certain bosses, and I want Fire Wall to be at least level 5 by the time we reach the 1st Stratum boss.

Nadia's starting build. I leveled up Bow Mastery to 3, which unlocks the disabling Arrow skills, which are a Survivalist's bread-and-butter skills for pretty much the entire game. Sleep Arrow is of questionable usefulness due to the status ailment it inflicts, but Blind Arrow and Paralysis Arrow are very much worth maxing out. I prioritize Blind Arrow here due to the enemies we'll be encountering.

Jackie's starting build. I leveled up Gun Mastery to 3, which unlocks the elemntal Rounds skills (Element+Stab attacks), then leveled up Ice Rounds to 5, and put the last point into Charged Ice (a line-piercing Ice+Stab attack that lowers the user's defense until the skill is activated). I'll want Burst Shot eventually (pictured on the right), but the skill point investment needed for it is very large, so I'll just level up Charged Ice some more; it'll be useful until the 3rd Stratum.

Rheine's starting build. I leveled up Order Mastery (which actually provides a unique Mastery bonus: whenever Rheine uses an Order on someone, they are healed for a small amount + a percentage of their max HP), which unlocked: Attack Order, Guard Order, Holy Crown, Ad Nihilo, and Negotiation. I'll want at least one point in Prevent Order soon, which will require 2 more points in Order Mastery. I level up Attack Order to 4, stopping short of 5 due to the TP cost increase from 5 to 10.

Oh yes, I should explain Grimoire Chances (because I skipped showing the tutorial Marion gives you :v:). During battles, there is a random chance your character may get a Grimoire Chance, which will then roll for your character generating a Grimoire when they act that turn. If they roll successfully, depending on the Grimoire Chance you got (yes, there are multiple types), you will be given:

• The skill your character used that turn
  • A random active skill your character possesses
  • A random passive skill your character possesses
  • A random Grimoire-enabled skill an enemy possesses

The different Grimoire Chance types are:

• The normal Grimoire Chance. Anything could happen.
  • Active. You will be given an active skill your character possesses.
  • Passive. You will be given a passive skill your character possessses.
  • Enemy. You will be given a Grimoire-enabled skill the enemy possesses, if they have one.
  • Premium. You have a very, very high chance of being given a Grimoire of the skill the character uses that turn. If they perform a non-Skill action, they will be given a random Grimoire.

The only condition for Grimoire Chances happening is that the character must have at least one Grimoire equipped.

Crush these insects!

Zap!

HrrRRAAAAGGGHHHHHhhhoooooh, I feel dizzy...

A nice change to the Grimoire system in EO2U: when a character generates a Grimoire, you are told immediately instead of having to wait until the end of the battle to see.

You're also told what Grimoires were generated during the battle, what level they are, and what added effects they have, if any, at the Results screen. In EOU, you were just told a Grimoire was generated, and given a vague "quality."

Ooh, Zack, Phoebe, you both got banged up pretty bad by those Venomflies. Hold still for just a sec...
GAH! What the--did you just shoot us?

Medic Bullet is granted with level 1 Gun Mastery. It's okay in the very early game due to how low everyone's max HP is, but Gunners don't really have the TEC or VIT to make effective healers. Medic Bullet is also single-target only. Basically, don't level it up past what you're given by leveling up Gun Mastery.

SYSTEM: It's said that things happen in threes, and lo and behold, when you approach you find a hedgehog there. Just like the previous times, the s pines in its back are lodged into the roots, and it cannot move without aid. This seems to be a rather dull-witted hedgehog... You are free to help the hedgehog or leave it to its predicament.
Yep. It's that hedgehog Realga rambled about at the bar.
Why would she ramble about a hedgehog?
Said Ursa kept saving it when it got stuck like this. Realga got real angry at her for that, heh.
Well, it's our decision now. Do we save it or not?
Don't see why not. Ursa understands forest creatures better than any of us--why question her?

SYSTEM: Deciding that you can't start ignoring the hedgehog now, you lend a helping hand. Phoebe volunteers and cautiously pulls on the hedgehog's spines to pull them from the roots. The hedgehog, seemingly used to this by now, shows no signs of resisting. But that is when you recall that the last two times, the hedgehog struck the moment it found itself liberated. It may be docile now, but you have your suspicions... Given past history, it may be wisest to have a plan, just in case.
Gently now, Phoebe.
SYSTEM: You've been hurt by it twice already; what's the use in worrying about another wound or two? Phoebe rescues the hedgehog from the tree without hesitation. Despite Phoebe's decisive action, the hedgehog does not thrash about this time, and allows you to place it down. It may have slowly come to understand that you have no intention of harming it. But no sooner is Phoebe's guard lowered than the hedgehog hurls something at their face!

Oof.
Phoebe?!
SYSTEM: Though you're worried for Phoebe, who is writhing in pain, the injury seems superficial with only a bit of swelling. But by the time you have ascertained this, the hedgehog is already long departed. You share a chuckle at how things played out just as you anticipated, but then you notice a rare commodity at your feet. It must be what the hedgehog threw at you. At least the pain incurred wasn't for naught, you reason. You put the item in your pack before resuming your investigation.

How nice of it.

Clumped Sap is a rare find from Chop points on this floor.

Roller
HP: 97, STR: 8, TEC: 6, VIT: 9, AGI: 6, LUC: 6
Skills:
  • Rolling: Uses the legs. Deals 150% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Gum Hide. 40% chance. Sells for 11 en. 1 needed to make Leather Whip (+30 ATK). 3 needed to make Leather Armor (+11 DEF).
    "Animal hide with buoyant properties. Commonly used as joints in leather armor."
  • Rare: Shell Wart. 30% chance. Sells for 13 en. 1 needed to make Culverin (+24 ATK). 1 Aragonite and 5 Shell Warts needed to make Spiked Axe.
    "Thorns protruding from a beast's carapace. Not too stiff, so its uses are limited."
  • Ingredient: Round Roller. 1 needed to make Stir-Fried Roller (Chinese Food 1; decreases recovery time from disables by 15%).
    "Stiffened in a round state.
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 125% 100% 100% 100%
Ailment and bind resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 50%
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 150%

A critter with a tough hide, it curls up in a ball to ram enemies!

Rollers resist most types of physical attacks and that's the most interesting thing about them.

Giant Ladybug
HP: 100, STR: 8, TEC: 8, VIT: 7, AGI: 11, LUC: 8
Drops:
  • Normal: Spotted Carapace. 55% chance. Sells for 12 en. 1 needed to make Ladybug Hairpin (+8 DEF, +3 TP). 2 needed to make Framea (+38 ATK). 3 needed to make Gladius (+37 ATK). 5 Aragonites and 5 Spotted Carapaces needed to make Hasta (+47 ATK).
    "A ladybug's magnificent outer shell. Its pattern remains even after being worked on.
Damage resistances:
100% 150% 100% 100% 100% 150%
100% 100% 100% 100% 150% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%
50% 100% 100%

An enormous ladybug. If it is in danger, it can emit a smell to attract ferocious monsters!

Giant Ladybugs, on the other hand, are more interesting...because they summon a loving monster from 5F if they're the last monster left alive in a battle. Take them out first if at all possible.

Yes! It worked!
Huh. How do you hit tiny targets like that with just one eye? Is it some kinda mystic power?!
Nah. I've just spent more time practicing with bows and arrows than you can imagine.

Here's what Front Guard looks like when it activates.

That was not even close.

Alright. We could either go further into the floor...

...Or go down this way! Heh-hah!
Slow down, Zachary! I can only chart so fast!

Waaaaugh! What is this thing?!
Oh! The Protector at the bar said something about a beaked monster that...could hit the back line...

Wild Wing
HP: 167, STR: 13, TEC: 6, VIT: 10, AGI: 10, LUC: 8
Skills:
  • Beaked Rush: Uses the head. Deals 140% melee STR-based Stab damage to one target, with line-piercing effect. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Wyvern Skull. 70% chance. Sells for 27 en. 4 needed to make Wyvern Claw (+40 ATK). 8 needed to make Stab Talisman (+30% Stab resistance). 3 Ray Flowers and 1 Wyvern Skull needed to make Studded Glove (+6 DEF, can be equipped by Beasts). 3 Gel Cores and 2 Wyvern Skulls needed to make Hakenbuchse (+33 ATK). 5 Wyvern Skulls and 1 Glue Hide needed to make Kodachi (+46 ATK).
    "A skull with a thin and distinct shape. Due to this trait, it takes time to work on."
  • Conditional: Frozen Bone (Kill with Ice damage). 100% chance. Sells for 60 en. 1 needed to make Wyvernbone Blade (+42 ATK, normal attacks become Cut+Ice).
    "Wing bone frozen to its core. Its cold power can be embedded into weapons.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 150% 100%
150% 100% 100% 100% 50% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

A carnivore who soars through the sky. You would be wise to use cold attacks...

Wild Wings are dicks. Beaked Rush is a line-piercing attack that really hurts on the front line, and can realistically kill one of your back liners if you're somewhat unlucky or have a very fragile class like an Alchemist. Thankfully, they are very susceptible to blind.

All of you, kill that overgrown avian quickly!

Victory Vow cuts the TP cost of Order skills in half, and makes them target the entire party instead of just one row.

A'ight, Zack, get behind me.

Try hitting us now!

Hup! Try again.
Admirable effort, but insufficient.

Dammit. Just barely undershot getting the conditional drop. Oh well, Wild Wings are pretty common encounters; there'll be other opportunities.

Ooh. I think these are some of those Labyrinth Cuisine recipes the others talked about.
Alright, let's try looking at them!
...these instructions make no sense.
Asriel said they were encoded. The chef at FOEbucks can probably make sense of them.

From here on out, FOEbucks recipes can be found in either the Labyrinth or as rewards for quests, with one exception. Some of the recipes are hidden behind shortcut-accessible secret rooms, making them something of a pain to track down if you notice you're missing them (like what happened to me on my first playthrough).

Like I said, Wild Wings hurt. Blinding them really helps, but blind isn't a 100% miss chance.

Ooh, ooh, look! I froze it! ...Kinda.

Chop point. The ingredient for this one is Walnuts, which I actually really want because they're a component in a very useful food.

Got a level up from an otherwise unnotable fight.

Refer to my starting build comments for my reasoning behind all of these.

I went back to town at this point to make that food I mentioned at FOEbucks. Stopped by Sitoth Trading to unload everything I'd gotten so far:

Wyvernbone Blade requires 1 Frozen Bone, Ladybug Hairpin requires 1 Spotted Carapace, Wooden Shoes require 1 Hard Root, and the elemental Oils require 1 Clumped Sap.

Oh, that sword looks nice...wait, it costs how much?
More than we have at the moment.
Dammit.

The Wyvernbone Blade's a nice upgrade for Zack, but I can't buy it at the moment.

And now, we stop over at FOEbucks, to develop...

Walnut Rye Bread! This is pretty much my go-to food if I don't have a situation that specifically calls for any of the other foods. The max TP boost is small but nice early on, and can really significantly bolster TP pools as the game goes on, even for low TP classes like Landsknechts. I'm pretty sure the bonus it gives is 1.5x a character's normal max TP.

I also equip Rheine with the Order Mastery Grimoire I got. The boost to the amount she heals is really small, but it does more for her than the Horse Slash Grimoire I had on her before does.

One rest at the inn later, and...

So what's behind this door?

A-a giant d-dinosaur.
Ohhhhhh crap. It's blocking the way...
Alright, don't panic. Stardust told me how to get past one of these...we just have to lure it into this pit, and...

Easy.

I'll be glossing over a lot of how I lure Raptors into pits now. I'm sure you get the idea behind it now.

Oooh, that one's golden! It's sparkling, too! Let's kill it!
Let's not. The others told us that shining enemies are more agile and deadlier than normal, remember?
O-oh...yeah...

Yes, you can run into rare breed FOEs too. Yes, they give metric boatloads of EXP. No, it is not a good idea to fight them until you are past the point where you can reliably take down a normal breed.

Pfft. We didn't even have to lure it that time.

Alright, it looks injured. Let's just lure it into this pit behind us...

Not so tough now, eh?

I-it is still terrifying, even when immobile.

A'ight, that had to be the last one.

Oh well.
"O-oh well?!" There's no pits this time!
Hmm.

HEY! DINO-PRICK! OVER HERE!
What is she doing?!

You're braver than I am, Nadia.
Aw, go on.

I-it has climbed out of the pit, and that alley is the only way out of here...
We have a pit here, we're fine.

Yessssss. Return Flutes are the best "oh poo poo I need to get out of this fight NOW" item in the game. I'll demonstrate it later.

See ya, dino-brain.

Hey, who's that?
Realga told me about him...think she said his name was Flausgul?
Hrothgar. His name his Hrothgar. I recognize him--he and his sister are the latest in a long family of dragon-slayers.

I opt to map out what's up of our position before triggering Hrothgar's dialogue, and...

This is something of an annoying enemy formation. The Ladybug takes reduced damage in the back row, but you still want to kill it first--giving the Wild Wing theoretical free reign for a turn or two.

You're not touchin' us.

Perfect Defense completely cancels all damage to the party for one turn. It's a very powerful Force Break, and I'm only using it because I'm about to head back to town anyway.

This message pops up when Perfect Defense is activated.

Think I put enough powder in that one?

Charged Shot is very useful for encounters like this, thank to its line-piercing ability.

I forgot to screenshot it, but the Chop point right up ahead's ingredient is Asparagus.

SYSTEM: The sharp cry comes from Hrothgar, the protector you met earlier.
You said...you're from Lumen, right? Could you hold off on that door for now?
Huh? Why?
SYSTEM: The man looks at your party members in turn, a troubled expression on your face.
I can't explain why. Just go ask the Grand Duchy...you'll understand then.
SYSTEM: The protector remains in place, blocking the door with his head hung low. It seems that he won't let you pass just yet. You should return to town and visit the Duke's Palace for an explanation.
Well, he certainly looks down.
This sounds urgent--we'd best take his advice.

...Ah! If I recall correctly, you are...Lumen, correct? Excellent timing. Would you be able to assist me in a delicate matter? I must tell you now...it's a very dangerous mission. I'll understand if you refuse. However, if you're still willing to help... Then perhaps you might hear an old man's grievances.
What bothers you, Minister Dubois?

Oh, you'll do it? Splendid, thank you very much. Allow me to explain further. A number of the guard corps have gone missing over the past few days. We have guards and medics posted around the first Stratum to support new explorers, you see. I assumed that the danger they would face there wouldn't be anything they couldn't handle. However...yesterday, when the shift was over, ten of them did not return. I fear something very bad is happening near the Labyrinth's entrance. Normally, it's a mission I'd reserve for a guild like Beowulf or Esbat. But I think I can entrust this one to you... Let it motivate you to someday surpass those sterling guilds! Now, go... Find out the source of the disappearance and save the guards!
...Hm...
What? What do you think happened, Nadia?
Oh, it's nothing. Just picturing the worst-case scenario...

Dubois also has Talk dialogue for after you finish The shopkeeper girl:

Hm. Whatever happened to that issue that you and the girl from the inn were trying to solve? Ah, so you were able to settle the matter then. I'm sure that girl is relieved. Quite admirable of you. Not only do you explore the Labyrinth, but you even solve the problems of the citizenry. Ho ho!

So does Marion.

Ah, it's you. You remember when I told you about that guard that lost his Citizenship Card? Sometime after, the innkeeper's daughter Quona turned up. Seems she was concerned about the guard, and if he was alright. She's quite a warmhearted child. It was...quite touching. Oh, the guard? No need to worry about him--he's back to working hard, now. Perhaps moreso than anyone else.

And Abigail.

By the way, did you find that citizenship card you and Quona were looking for? ...You're getting a replacement issued at the Explorers Guild? I didn't even know you could do that! I...I thought the only thing we could do was look for the lost card. I'm glad to hear it! I'm sure Quona was really happy everything turned out okay.

We're near the end of 3F, but I stop by the inn to rest up anyways. It's cheap, might as well.

Go on, then. I'll leave the matter of the missing soldiers to you. I have other things to do...
SYSTEM: He seems to be addressing this to the beast beside him as he moves away from the door.
One more thing... A little free advice. The reason why all those soldiers went missing... It's becausae a herd of monsters is running amok in there. The area's choked with enemies. Never let your guard down and avoid combat whenever you can.
SYSTEM: With these last words, Hrothgar and his companion walk away. You can continue through the door and face the chaos within, or return to town to prepare.
Oh no...

SYSTEM: The ground is stained crimson with blood, and corpses are stacked on the field. The bloodcurdling sight reminds you of the mission you accepted at the Duke's Palace... You agreed then to find the soldiers who never returned from their posts in the forest. The gruesome open grave before you may be the final resting place of those very soldiers... A sudden roar startles you. You know now what caused this slaughter.
Oh gods...
This is...horrifying...
Oh man, those poor guards.
Nope nope nope nope NOPE lemme out. Where's our Ariadne Thread, I wanna go back.
D-does that dinosaur in front of the door look different to anyone else?

SYSTEM: The instant the monsters catch sight of you, the menace in the air becomes palpable. If you charge in heedlessly, you may succeed only in adding your bones to the pile of corpses here... You do, however, see a door beyond the monsters. There could be surviving guards beyond it. Having accepted the mission, you are obliged to check the region for any survivors. You must make your way past the monsters somehow and get through that door!
So, um, Nadia...what's the plan here?
L-let me look around first.

I don't think that door is where any survivors might be...
Why don't we just try the pits again? There's lots of 'em in here.

A-alright! Two down, one to go--

--oooooooAAAAAAAAAUUUUGGGGHHH!
RUN!
I-I didn't plan for that...

Yep. The Terrible Hunter (the FOE staring us in the face) is considerably better at hunting than its compatriots. Unless you position the Raptors just right, it'll jump over any pits in front of it to get to you. Yes, you can start a fight with it that way, and no, it's not a fight you're going to win.

TO THE DOOR! QUICKLY!
I-I didn't sign up for this!

Hah...hah...and Realga was complaining about the dinos on 2F...hah...
So. What's the plan? That navy raptor seems smarter than its friends.
Well...we aren't trapping that thing in a pit unless we position the Raptors just right, which we only have one shot at...
Oh, you guys saw that shortcut on the wall to the right of the door?
No, actually.
It looked one-way; we could go into it from here, but can't go back the other way.
W-what if we go back inside, lure the navy dinosaur to near one of those passageways, go through it, go back to the door, and then sprint to the center door...?
Seems sane enough to me. It's worth a shot!

If you try to go to the stairs before finishing the mission, the game gives you this message:

SYSTEM: The terms of the mission dictate that you must carefully search this floor before moving on.

Got into an otherwise unremarkable random battle literally the step I took after that last screenshot, but I did get this. Here's what added effects look like when you get them on Grimoires. The Sleep Arrow Grimoire here has Cut Up 1, which increases Cut damage on whoever equips it by...I believe 1 or 2%. Complete garbage on a Survivalist Grimoire, though.

E-everyone r-ready?
Let's do it.

Keep running!

A-alright, w-where's that shortcut? We're kind of cornered here...

Over here. C'mon.
Alright. When we go through the door, everyone sprint for the center door.
On my count. Three, two, o-one...

GO!

I-it's gaining on us!
We're almost there! Keep going!

W-we did it...
I think it realizes it's not going to catch us...

Once you reach the tile in front of the door, the Terrible Hunter de-aggros.

SYSTEM: You tense, but the sound is not that of a ferocious beast. Rather, it sounds like a human's cry for help. The voice is coming from the south... You must proceed in that direction in order to discover what the sound is.
I'll go chart and open the shortcut ahead. Everyone else go look for the guard.
I'm going with you. 's dangerous going alone in the Labyrinth.

Waugh...! Oh... A-Are you e-explorers?
Yes. We were told by the Minister to come look for you.
SYSTEM: Judging by his uniform, there is little doubt that this is one of the missing guards.
I'm saved... I'm saved! Thank you! Yes, I was a member of the guard corps. My comrades...they were all slaughtered by that herd of monsters!
SYSTEM: You tell the soldier the fate of that monster and how to return to town safely.

Unless the game somehow assumes you can kill the Terrible Hunter at level 7 or 8, I'll assume this is a mistranslation.

You're a lifesaver! I'll make sure to put in a good report for you when I get back.
SYSTEM: The guard stumbles to his feet and staggers to the exit. Your mission is complete! Return to town and report to the Grand Duchy.
Alright, that's...enough near-death experiences for one day. Anyone want to go to the Stickleback after we report to the Duchy?
Count me in. I could use a cold one...nah, a couple cold ones, after today...
I feared for my life today more than I have since I could think...is this what exploring really is about?

Here's one of the alternate Grimoire Chances I mentioned earlier, before we go back to town.

I heard all the details from our man. You did well in rescuing him! He has given us an extensive debriefing on what happened in the Labyrinth. Marvelous work. Please accept this token of the Grand Duchy's gratitude for saving his life.

A very nice EXP reward. That was almost two levels worth.

Which reminds me... I mentioned the report the guard filed on the events that transpired. According to him, the cause of so many monsters appearing in the first Stratum... Was, in fact, the work of another monster! The Grand Duchy is issuing an official mission to resolve the crisis. You have contributed much to the matter already, so I will not force you take part. However... No, it's nothing. You did well.
No, no, continue. What did you say about another monster?

Guild Lumen... You're accepting this mission!? I cannot thank you enough for going back into the breach to rid the forest of this threat. Allow me to explain fully. I trust you are aware of the powerful monsters which have been appearing in the first Stratum of late. The cause seems to be that the king of beasts, called Chimaera, has settled on the 5th floor. It is Chimaera's roar that draws monsters from the upper floors down to the first Stratum. By defeating this Chimaera, we eliminate the roar that lures such terrible fiends downward. It is a serious crisis, make no mistake. We must destroy this Chimaera, king of the beasts!

Uninteresting level ups for the first four members of the party.

Rheine, on the other hand, unlocked Prevent Order, which will nullify one status ailment per cast on a character. It's a very fantastic skill, especially given that a lot of bosses and FOEs utilize status ailments to the point where I'd almost call it abusing status ailments. Leveling it up decreases the TP cost, and getting it to level 5 increases the duration to 4 turns. Neither of these are really worth investing skill points for, especially if you know when to time Prevent Order, so I'll leave it at level 1.

I also made a very brief trip back into the Labyrinth to trigger Floor Jump for 3F, and open up everything that comes with 4F. When we leave the Labyrinth after getting to 4F:

It seems that there is something he wishes to discuss with you regarding FOEbucks... I haven't been informed of the details, but we would appreciate it if you would come by when time permits.

I heard of your work from Regina. I also heard you found some new recipes, and provided the name for FOEbucks.
Well, we did not technically provide the name--Asriel wanted to name it after some old tale about a human who ends up underground, but Stardust changed the name after hearing it suggested at the bar by some woman wearing sunglasses, who apparently rode out of town on a winged horse.
You're rambling, Rheine. In any case, Minister, you should come visit the cafe.
Indeed, I would like to do so when time permits. It would be nice to see how Regina is doing as well. I believe the store's preparations are now complete. Next, I'd like you to spread Apicius's dishes among the people... ...In other words, I would like you to advertise the cafe. It may be a government-run cafe, but it's still fairly unknown among the citizens. I would like it to attract more customers. I considered leaving this duty to Regina...but, ah...well, I feel you may be better suited for this task.
What're you talking about? Regina seems perfectly capable of doing that!
It's quite kind of you to say so, but I'm afraid Regina is not very good with people. Which is why I'd like you to take on this task. I have already informed Regina of the details. I'll be counting on you.

Dubois's 4F Talk dialogue:

Ah, explorers. How goes the exploration? ...Do you not find the place to be beautiful? I have accompanied the guards to the Labyrinth, and never before have I seen a more lush and beautiful forest. Certainly, there are forests outside the city, and rich green fields of crops...but the Labyrinth feels different. Ethereal, yes? In some respects, it feels as though the Labyrinth has been watching over us. There is something mystical about it, isn't there? ...Perhaps a god really does reside at the top... Ho ho, it would appear I've been rambling again. Now, I wish the best of luck to you on your adventure.
A god, huh. I've heard the tales of the so-called "Overlord," but I'm not entirely convinced.

You've already heard about the advertising plaln from Grandpa, right? I've been giving it some thought, myself... High Lagaard may be a small city, but there's still a lot of people. It might be best if we pick a specific area of the city, and market a kind of food that fits their preferences. I've received information on each ward's populace, and the type of requests they make. You mind taking a look?
Let me handle this, everyone.

Oh, that's right... This is our first time trying this, so Grandfather's providing us with the ingredients. He said to advertise without worrying about our stock.

So here's how Advertising works. You pick a region of Lagaard, and look at whatever groups happen to be there at the time. Each one will request a type of food, and you have to determine what food you have available fits that description best.

Also note that starting an ad campaign will only use up one measure of ingredients for that given food, no matter how many of the food you actually sell. You also can't sell food you don't have enough ingredients for.

Advertising takes 20 in-game hours in the Labyrinth to finish. You can't just sleep at the inn over and over again until the campaign is finished.

Regina also has post-The shopkeeper girl dialogue:

...Helping people... So you explorers do those sorts of things too. I used to think that all you did was just explore the Labyrinth. Looks like I'll have to reconsider my perceptions... I guess I should expect no less from the guild that Grandpa trusts so much.

And her normal 4F dialogue:

I had no idea cooking could be this fun! I can simmer the posts and cut the meat without worrying about a thing... I guess I'm a chef through and through.
Some people are born for specific duties on this planet. It's the basic philosophy behind sovereignity.
That...seems a bit iffy if you ask me, but what do I know?

Rea fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 27, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 5 part 2: Cervidaephobia

Moving on over to the Stickleback Bar:

Ya got no idea, Cass. Gimme an Armoroad Canpariy, stat.
Oh, some of my customers were talkin' 'bout yeh lot. They were saying how yeh're pretty good for being young. Hehe, not bad. But yeh know, to someone like me who's seen plenty of guilds come and go...yeh lot still have a long ways ahead. Huh? Well if yeh want to impress me, yeh'll find that invisible flying castle! I mean, nobody even knows if that thing actually exists or not, but that makes it more interestin'! Haw haw haw!
Well, the journey up can't be as bad as being chased by dinosaurs...

Let's chat up the bar patrons, now that they've changed for 4F.

Loud caster:

Oh hey, if it isn't Lumen! How are you doing in your explorations? Anything getting in your way? ...Oops, sorry, sorry. Guess I shouldn't be treating you folks like newbies anymore, since you've gotten better. Now that I think about it...you're strong enough to be taking those big and powerful monsters that patrol around, right? Once you beat them, the place'll be empty for a while, but sooner or later the same kind of monster will wander back over. I think...it took about one week? Once you beat those huge monsters, just make sure you keep track of the date. Okay then! Have a good adventure!
Oh. Great. The big ones come back. This Labyrinth just loves us, doesn't it...

Poor old man:

Hurgh...my back...gnh! I didn't have to deal with this when I was young...ugh... Ah, nice t'see you young'uns again! Just came back from the shrine, myself. That's right, that's right. Now listen here! My grandson wasn't comin' back from the forest! Well, I was thinkin' that it was all over...but my prayers were answered! From the sounds of it, some nice adventurers gave him a hand. Wonder what guild it was that helped him out...? Ah, thank the gods...
...I feel better about having been chased by dinosaurs now. It was worth it.

And now for the 4F quests.

The item trade II:

Yeh must know what the score is by now. Yep, another request from Sitoth Trading. I don't want to muck up the details of the quest, so yeh should ask around over there.

Supply lines:

Oh, that one, eh? See, the Duke's guards're out on a mission in the forest. Been out there a couple days. So the job'd be to bring 'em some provisions. But just to warn yeh...it's heavy. drat heavy!

Ah, gods, Cass, do we really gotta carry dose...?
Geez, I didn't think yeh'd be such a baby about it! Yeh didn't even let me finish tellin' yeh the details. And remember, if the guards don't end up gettin' their provisions, then they're screwed! Now look. There's two boxes there, right? If yeh hadn't guessed, the guards are workin' in two separate groups. Obviously, yer gonna have to make sure both of 'em get their supplies. Pretty sure the two groups are posted 'round here...and here.

Supply lines is a really easy quest. You're going to visit both spots anyway while you're going through 4F.

Right! That's all I got for yeh. Now yeh just gotta hit the 4th Floor and get the goods delivered!

Volunteer service I:

Oh, that request. I guess yeh folks are reliable enough now... That one came from the local Hospital. A foreign merchant ship crashed on High Lagaard's shores, see. And now there's a ton of wounded and injured comin' in. The Duchy's put all their healers on the job, but no matter how yeh slice it, they're gonna need more medicine. Yeh guys saw those nasty deer on the 1st floor, right? Yeh need to get a Severed Antler from them. Yeh might be able to tell, but yeh can't get one unless yeh kill it with a slash. Now, I need yeh to get one of those antlers. It ain't gonna be easy, but if anyone can pull it off, yeh folks can. G'luck!
T-the big deer on 1F?
Well, we're quite a bit stronger than the others were when they started. We might be able to take them!

Volunteer service I is a quest you can maybe do as soon as you get it, depending on your party composition; I'd say you can do it at about this point if you have any class that deals Cut damage, along with a Sovereign. Otherwise, I'd wait until the end of 4F to do it, to be safe.

Stopping by the Explorers Guild to Talk to Marion:

Hm...? Oh, it's you. Has something happened? Perhaps I wasn't clear, but you're not obligated to report every single thing from the Labyrinth to me... ...Of course, I don't plan on throwing you out. It's my job to give advice to those who are still unused to the Labyrinth. Let's see... I'll tell you something that not many realize. It may seem obvious in hindsight. When you're fighting monsters, do you pay attention to their attributes? Swords, axes, bow and arrows...or various types of spells... If you can determine the enemy's weakness, you can exploit it. Stay alert, pay attention to gain an edge in battle. Remember, victory takes brains and brawn. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid any unnecessary risks.

As soon as you enter Sitoth Trading, Abigail starts talking.

Hee hee, we've just got a new item in stock. I wanted to tell you about it! The new item we've got is called...ah, the Flash Grenade. It's an item to be used in battle. Let me just read out what it does for you. Ahem... This item is most effective when you're being attacked by monsters. But remember, it'll only stun the monsters for one turn, so you can't just keep them helpless forever! And...that's all it says! Hmm...it seems pretty complicated... Was that explanation enough for you?
Yes.
Oh, so you do understand! I'll have to keep up with my studies so I know what all this stuff is good for...
You're doing fine as is! Especially for someone your age.
Hee hee, you really think so? But I'd like to have more to offer in conversations about this kind of thing, so I'll keep studying! O-Oh, there I go again talking about myself... I'm sorry! Here's your samples, We're giving these out for free again, so you can try them out in the field.

Wha waz it yah dad sed... "Godda make money ta spend money?"
Oh, you stupid drunk... Wasn't it "You have to spend money to make money," Abigail?
Mmhm! Hee hee... Usually my dad's the one that says that, but I'm glad you remember it! Well then! Let's both make sure we get paid back for the effort we put in! Oh! Sorry, there I go again... I'll focus on my work! Please, take your time and look around!

And because took The item trade II, she starts talking to us again:

Welcome... Oh! Thanks for your help before. Huh? Another request from us...? Wonderful! I'm still trying to get used to asking strangers to do our work... I'm glad that your'e so eager to help us. Oh, right! The materials we need... That's 5 Bent Twigs and 1 Large Feather. Oh! A customer! Sorry, I have to go. I'm counting on you! Ahem--Welcome, sir...!
Ey! Shhhhhheeee was talkin' to US, ya prick...!
Ugh. I'll take Zack back to the inn. The rest of you, sell what we found and go send the Byeahs to gather stuff.

Wood Bow's unlocked by selling 1 Bent Twig, and Framea's unlocked by selling 2 Spotted Carapaces (thanks, Crosspeice).

I buy a Wyvernbone Blade for Zack now that we can afford it. We'll need him to be outputting as much damage as possible to take down a Ragelope.

G-go gather from...2F and 3F. Yes, that was it.
Byeah.
What are these things...?

Beeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyeeeeehhhhhh...

Whoops.

I should note that I was really badly panicking here. I hadn't saved since the start of the update, and I would've been really goddamn upset if I had to restart because of this.

Then I remembered I had a Return Flute.

A Return Flute instantly exits you out of a battle (with one or two exceptions) and returns you to the last stairs or Geomagnetic Pole (we'll see those next stratum). They are very, very handy "oh poo poo" buttons, and unfortunately are in limited supply for a while.

Reviving someone or curing Petrification at the Inn costs (5 * the patient's level) ental.

After that nearly diastrous and stupid gently caress-up, here's what our gathering yielded:

Spiked Axe is unlocked by selling 5 Shell Warts and 1 Aragonite, Power Ring is unlocked by selling 1 Garnet, and Analysis Scope is unlocked by selling 1 Garnet. The game also didn't list it for some reason, but we can also buy Wisdom Earrings now after selling Garnet.

I considered buying a Power Ring for Zack, but forgoing an entire armor slot, especially early on, for +3 STR is very dangerous for a front liner.

After resting at the inn:

Ah gods, my head...how many drinks did I have last night?
Doesn't matter. Let's go kill that Ragelope while it's still early.

Ragelope
HP: 1680, STR: 18, VIT: 13
Skills:
  • (G) Baffling Step
  • (G) Knockdown
Drops:
  • Normal: Deer Hide
  • Conditional: Severed Antler (Kill with Cut damage)
  • Ingredient: Venison
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Fire, Ice
  • Weak: Volt
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Resist: Petrification, Instant Death

With its magnificent horns, it can mesmerize adventurers!

Welcome to our first FOE fight of the game! The Ragelope isn't to be hosed with early on, especially at this level. Baffling Step is a single-target skill that has a very high chance of Panicking someone, which locks you out of controlling them and makes them attack either the enemy or your own party. Knockdown is a straight-up hard-hitting attack that's pretty much guaranteed to kill whoever it hits; the only person in our party that could maybe survive it is Phoebe if she uses Front Guard or Defends.

Here's my initial strategy. I have everyone but Phoebe use their Force Boosts; I need as much damage as possible out of Zack, Nadia, and Jackie, while Rheine will cast Prevent Order on everyone to prevent Baffling Step from loving up the fight.

This WILL be the last time you see us.

And right off the bat, I get very lucky.

Stay determined!

Heh. Nice try.

You can tell if Prevent Order nullified an ailment by the text at the top of the screen.

Ouch. Volt Rounds is not the skill to use here, evidently, even though the Ragelope is weak to it. The second hit did around 20 damage.

HRRRAAAGGGHHHHhhhoooh that is not something I should be doing right now...

Now that's some good damage. Keep in mind the Ragelope has 1800 HP though.

I switch to using Charged Ice here, and have Rheine buff everyone's damage.

Oh gods, this is a terrible idea! How did I let you all drag me into this?!

Are you loving serious, game?

That one's technically on me for not re-applying Prevent Order, but still!

That's more like it.

I need this thing dead ASAP with Phoebe panicking, so I have my damage dealers use their Force Breaks.

Easy as shooting gnats...!

INCOMING!

MMMMMRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH!

S-stay away from me!

Aw poo poo.

A) The thing's not dead yet.
B) Blind wore off.

I'm not making the same mistake twice.

Leave my grave...unmarked...

Okay, this is getting bad. Phoebe's still panicked, so she can very easily die here.

Nadia'll try to paralyze the Ragelope, while I try to get Zack alive again.

This is the luckiest I've ever gotten with status ailments.

Ooouughh... Do your job, Phoebe...

Really close loving call, there. If Rheine had died, I would've probably gotten a game over.

Can't die yet, I got too much to do!

On the one hand, the thing's nearly dead. On the other, all of this will have been for naught if Nadia or Jackie kill it.

To that end, I have them both defend for one turn.

Getting really down to the wire here.

Everyone behind...me.
Doesn't seem like that thing's moving.

Goddammit. What a waste.

UGGGGGHHHHH.

We can't hold out for much longer, Zachary! Kill it!

No...biggie...

Ha heh! And STAY dead!

The amount of random chances that I had to get lucky on there is insane. Whatever, I got the Severed Antler.

Oh, yeh managed to get it! Awright, I'll hurry and bring it to 'em. Watch the bar while I'm gone, eh? Cheers!

Fade to black.

Hey, sorry. That took a while. Don't worry, I got it to 'em. One of the healers from the Hospital came out to meet me, but the doc looked like hell. I wonder if they're okay. See, he zones out all the time, but yeh get him started on medical talk and he just won't shut up. Don't drink too much, come back for a check-up... He just goes on and on. So, yeh lot want a drink? ...Eh? C'mon, even I can treat people sometimes! What? Oh, nonononono. Nothin' expensive or any fancy-schmancy cocktails. That stuff's off the table. Jus' think of it as a gift. I know, I know! My generosity makes me cry sometimes! Haw haw haw! Huh? Whaddya mean ya don't want it? What, yeh just want the reward...? Tch. What kinda chump turns down a free drink? Well, whatever. Thanks for all yer work. This is yer reward. Be seein' ya!

Fire Wall now completely nulls fire attacks once per turn on a character. It costs 16 TP, however.

And here are the DLC grinding quests. Cass's dialogue for each of them is the same:

Oh, that one. Yeh see, some weird kinda creature seems to live on the 1st floor of the Forest. It ain't causin' any harm, but...leavin' it to grow feel unsafe, so we send explorers out to cut it now and again. Still, it's a reward for mowin' the Labyrinth a little! What a deal! Go on, get the job done!
We're Labyrinth gardeners now?

SYSTEM: There is a plant in front of you, and oddly enough, it moves continuously--as an animal might. Baffled, Zack peers at it, and leans closer to the plant to determine its true nature... The plant moves slowly for some tense movements...and then leaps at you!

There is no point in showing you the fight. The thing went down in 2 attacks.

SYSTEM: There's no mistake--the monster you defeated just now is the plant that was requested at the bar! The request has been completed.

Here's what the other two look like.

And here come our little lawn mowers now! Welcome back. Haw haw haw, what's with that face? Mowin's honest work! Could be a nice fallback career for yeh. Bein' an adventurer ain't always about the dangerous and death-defyin' missions. Sometimes yeh just get jobs that need doin'. Here's a thought, though. Maybe yeh could try cookin' with it? That lass at FOEbucks could make somethin' of it. After all, ain't that her specialty? Makin' tasy dishes out of stuff yeh wouldn't think is edible? Haw haw haw!

The first mission gives us a variable amount of money based on what Stratum we've reached, and the other two give 2 Nectars each. Very handy.

The EXP is pitiful, though, and for good reason.

Let's take Cass's suggestion and go to FOEbucks:

Wait, this...this came from an extremely rare plant-like monster in the Labyrinth! It's rare enough that some people thought it was just a legend... How in the world did you find this?
Trade secret, Regina.
Hm. I'm not an expert on exploring...but I'm sure when you've been doing it for that long, you pick up some tricks of the trade. All it takes is the know-how, and it's yours, huh? Quite an interesting thought. Here, take this. It's a recipe from the old texts... It shows how to prepare this ingredient.

Alright, the Yggdrasil Teas. These are each designed to cut down on the amount of time you need to grind for certain resources.

The Yggdrasil-Bud Tea massively increases the amount of drops you get from battles, and gives you around 5 of whatever rare material can be found at a gathering point.

The Yggdrasil-Sprout Tea turns basically every Grimoire Chance into a Premium Grimoire Chance.

The Yggdrasil-Clover Tea, however, is truly the most broken of the 3, and its DLC was released last. It triples the EXP your party gets, and distributes 1/3 of that to your entire guild.

You can get the Teas through normal gameplay; each of the Yggdrasil enemies will show up very rarely when you enter a floor (including Floor Jump). However, the normal versions only give 1 ingredient when defeated; you'll notice that we got 38 from just one of the DLC fights.

Also note that each Tea only lasts until you leave the Labyrinth. After you leave the Labyrinth with a Tea's effect, the effect is dispelled.

And to wrap up the update, the Flaus Inn's Talk function now shows this. We can have Quona replace Hanna at the front desk, which I prefer because Quona's voice acting is less annoying than Hanna's.

Quona? Well, I guess she's gotten better at tending to the store after working with you... I'll go call for her.

Hanna's 4F dialogue:

Oh, good timing. Could you help me move this desk over there? ...Phew... Thanks for the help! Ooh, I'm all achy now... But you're all pretty strong, aren't you? Quona used to use this desk. It's a little too small now, though...so I picked up a new one for her. But I couldn't carry the desk all on my own, and my hubby's out gathering ingredients. I was really in a fix until you loves dropped by. I'm awfully grateful for your help!

Quona's cafe dialogue:

I-I heard from a customer there's a new place in town that serves tasty food... Did you already go there? ...But our food is better, right? Nobody cooks like mom does...

And her normal 4F dialogue:

U-Um...stay safe...okay?

Rea fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 23, 2015

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Geez, I know you only covered the entirety of one floor, but it feels like you're really trying to go through the game at a fast clip. Might have been better to have just made it two separate updates instead of parts, haha.

Guess if I ever grab any of the grinding DLC it'd be the exp one, though, didn't even know it gave EXP for the reserve members too. Probably because I haven't touched Classic that much, but that's good to know!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
There's a fun thing you can do with the third tea that I'm sure you'll show off. That thing is mad busted. (It would really help these SCCs if I bought the grinding DLCs, but they just feel cheaty :v:)

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
i just like to think of the exp one as cutting out grind time

the only thing causing you to overgrind is yourself

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Hivac posted:

the only thing causing you to overgrind is yourself
:smith:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

I didn't mean you specifically! i just meant like folks can still have challenge in the game, they just gotta know when to -stop- using it

my least favorite part of trying to do pure expert was slowly trying to eke out exp on the rares i could actually reliably kill to get to a decent level for bosses. it wasn't fun, it just took a longass time

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, this is why you don't let the guy who can't get DLC complete the item list. Since all I have to go on with spears is the JP wiki, I had to kinda make names up. But I've been correcting them as the LP has gone on. So the Framea is unlocked with Spotted Carapace x2.

I also didn't notice that 1 Garnet unlocks three separate items. I don't think any other material does that.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

theshim posted:

There's a fun thing you can do with the third tea that I'm sure you'll show off. That thing is mad busted. (It would really help these SCCs if I bought the grinding DLCs, but they just feel cheaty :v:)

I'm not so sure it's busted, as it seems like they intended for it to do exactly what it did.

Which is incredible. But still intended, so possibly not busted!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BlackPersona posted:

Geez, I know you only covered the entirety of one floor, but it feels like you're really trying to go through the game at a fast clip. Might have been better to have just made it two separate updates instead of parts, haha.

I was considering that. I probably could've cut the update after getting the missing guards mission, which didn't occur to me while I was writing it.

If it seems I'm going too fast, bear in mind we're still only in the 1st Stratum. Things will probably slow down considerably once we're past the first boss.

Hivac posted:

I didn't mean you specifically! i just meant like folks can still have challenge in the game, they just gotta know when to -stop- using it

my least favorite part of trying to do pure expert was slowly trying to eke out exp on the rares i could actually reliably kill to get to a decent level for bosses. it wasn't fun, it just took a longass time

I don't think I've ever had issues with needing to grind EXP for bosses, even on Expert. What I have had issues with is Grimoire grinding, because even by the 2nd Stratum boss, not having >lv10 abilities ranges from making fights incredibly frustrating to making them near-impossible.

Rea fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 23, 2015

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

BlackPersona posted:

Guess if I ever grab any of the grinding DLC it'd be the exp one, though, didn't even know it gave EXP for the reserve members too. Probably because I haven't touched Classic that much, but that's good to know!

I would like to note that the money DLC (Which gives you the Soft Buds for the Gathering cafe drink) gets loving rediculous. And by that? 500k en by post-game. It can be from about...I don't know EXACTLY, but it seems to be several thousand at the earliest and around 20k by the second or third stratum.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Would you be willing to separate floor and bar dialogue into a post-update section (probably as its own post)? Mostly I ask because I think the bar dialogue in particular is so lengthy it kinda breaks up the flow of the update.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Aerdan posted:

Would you be willing to separate floor and bar dialogue into a post-update section (probably as its own post)? Mostly I ask because I think the bar dialogue in particular is so lengthy it kinda breaks up the flow of the update.

I dunno about mid-floor dialogue because most of the time it's required to understand what's going on (see: Hrothgar in the last update), but stuff like Talk dialogue, the bar patrons (outside of when they're needed for quests), and Cass's pre- and post-quest dialogue probably could be put into their own section. I'll experiment with it next update.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 6: Bats and Lizards

To start off the update, I sold two materials I forgot to sell off before the end of the last update. Deer Hide Boots are made from 1 Deer Hide. I don't buy them because they're basically Leaf Sandals with slightly more DEF and +5 HP.

I do upgrade Zack and Phoebe's armors from Half Armors to Breastplates, however.

Looks like some of the pillars here aren't that stable.
Betcha I can climb over them!
I sincerely doubt that. We have to walk around them.

And here's 4F...I guess it's best described as a gimmick: rubble everywhere that make you take very long paths around. I say "best described as" because as far as I'm concerned, 4F is just a very maze-like layout (which is reflected in how I map it later on :v:).

Oh hey, new enemy.

Hypnosis Owl
HP: 110, STR: 6, VIT: 8
Skills:
  • (G) Sleep Powder
Drops:
  • Normal: Large Feather
  • Rare: Owl Beak
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Bash, Fire, Ice
  • Weak: Stab, Volt
  • Normal: Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Sleep, Head bind
  • Resist: Blind

A giant owl with unique feather markings. It can put its foes to sleep!

Hypnosis Owls are mildly annoying at best. Sleep Powder is a single-target skill that'll probably put whoever it targets to sleep. Just one, though. If Sleep Powder was all-party (like it was in the original EO2), it'd be an issue...but it isn't.

That's on their own, however. Paired with something like this Wild Wing, Sleep can seriously screw you, because it doubles whatever hits the target while they're asleep. If anyone in our party gets afflicted with Sleep and then hit by Beaked Rush, they'd almost certainly die.

Meh...

Oh yeah, Sleep. Sleep makes the afflicted target unable to act. When they take any damage, the damage is doubled, and the ailment is dispelled.

Thanks for stand--um...hovering still?

Charged Ice still easily takes care of encounters like this, though.

Shortly after that fight:

SYSTEM: It shows no interest in you for now, but there's no knowing when it may change its mind. Moreover, this enemy can fly, allowing it to pass over terrain you cannot. You think it best to keep one eye on its movements as you proceed.

Vampire Bats are, as the game said, FOEs that can fly over impassable terrain, and can ignore any special tile types. They have an incredibly simple pattern: they're non-aggressive, like the Ragelopes were, and will just fly back and forth between two points in a straight line. There's an exception to this, but we'll see it soon enough.

Vampire Bats are also pretty weak FOEs; we could probably take one on right now and win, but there's always the potential for something going wrong that discourages me from trying it.

EO2U loves introducing you to FOE movement patterns by designing them in such a way that, if you just blindly walk forward, you'll end up fighting the FOE. If I'd just gone forward after the game told me about the Vampire Bat, I would've ended up fighting it.

Instead, I just take a few steps back and pace a bit while I wait for the Vampire Bat to turn around. Simple enough.

Look, treasure!
...treasure that's blocked by rubble.
I feel like the Labyrinth is mocking us, sometimes.

A brief few steps later:

Is someone intentionally taunting us with all these flying jerks?!

Flying Lizard
HP: 119, STR: 11, VIT: 9
Skills:
  • (G) Dive Kick
Drops:
  • Normal: Glue Hide
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Fire, Ice, Volt
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Curse
  • Resist: Paralysis

A winged lizard that glides to build momentum and delivers a shattering kick!

I really hate these things. Dive Kick is a splash-damage attack that hits fairly hard, even in the back line. That's not that bad on its own, however. The problem is when there's multiple Flying Lizards, plus possibly other monsters. At that point, not only can multiple Dive Kicks kill one person, the splash damage could potentially kill another person, or leave them low enough that another monster could easily clean them up.

Tornado was practically built for these encounters, though. The Wild Wing will lose a little over half its HP and deal a decent amount of damage to the Lizards.

Ground these overgrown pigeons for good!

Augh! I didn't mean it!
Please move away next time you get hit, Rheine. Ow...

Dive Kick's splash damage in action.

Heh heh, birds hate...tornadoes...right?
Work on your quips, Zack!

Flying Lizards aren't as weak to Blind as Wild Wings, but it's still a good way to take out a major threat.

Hey, that bat's moving towards us!

Oh yeah, that's the exception in the Vampire Bat's movement patterns I mentioned. When you're in a battle, Vampire Bats will aggro towards your party, and try to join in on the battle. I said that Vampire Bats aren't that bad on their own, but they can get annoying when they join in on a fight.

This is when Dive Kick gets dangerous, when it gets stacked on people that have already been hit by it. Had Jackie been the target of the first Dive Kick, not only would she be dead, but Rheine would be in mortal danger too.

Nothing bad happened in the end, though.

Yeah, that's right, scram!
You must admire the creature's opportunism and hunting sense, though.
And I gotta admire the kinda woman who sees positive traits in monsters.
A leader needs to see the good in everything, even her opposition. T'was key to quelling the revolt incited by my parents' missteps.
Ooh, can you tell me the whole story about that sometime?
Possibly.

So close, yet so far...
After mapping out the tiny last portion of that room, and going through the door, we come upon this.

Looks different from the other shortcuts.
I don't think we'll be opening this one any time soon--Jackie, please stop shooting at it!
One of these...has gotta...break the tree...eventually!
Jackie, c'mo--AHH! That one ricocheted and went right by my head!
Bleh. This tree's really sturdy...
SYSTEM: No matter how much you try, the way seems impenetrable for now.

And exactly 3 steps after that:

Heyyyy!

Oh...! You must be Lumen, right?
That would be us, yes.
I heard that many guilds were sent to defeat the Chimaera. But I must tell you, Beowulf has already ascended to the 5th floor to challenge it. You see...some time ago, they lost many of their comrades to the king of beasts. The remaining two decided to press on in hopes of defeating the monster someday. But if they couldn't do it with five, I don't see how they'll manage it with two...
Tw-TWO?! What is Hrothgar thinking?!
SYSTEM: The guard shakes his head worriedly.
Beowulf's leader, the one called Hrothgar, is an amazing man. I only hope the worst is not about to befall him...
I'd like to hope, too, but...taking on Chimaera with just a Protector and a wolf?
SYSTEM: The guard looks up into the forest again anxiously. If you would challenge the Chimaera, you must hurry and pursue Beowulf to the 5th floor.
We are doing nothing but making this guard more nervous. Let's press on.

More Vampire Bats in the next room. They're as easy to dodge as the first one.

SYSTEM: It just so happens to be the hedgehog you've rescued time and time again.
The hedgehog's not in trouble this time. Huh, go figure.
SYSTEM: The hedgehog hasn't noticed your presence yet, and is dazing dreamily at the sky. Perhaps it is fate that has brought you together... You may greet the hedgehog if you wish.
Why don't we say hi to him? Maybe thank him for the sap last time?
Don't see why not.
SYSTEM: You elect to hail the hedgehog, though you think you ought to proceed carefully. After all, your history with the hedgehog leads you to fear it my attack you again in some way. You keep that in mind as you consider how to approach it...
He's harmless. Let's just walk up and say hi.
SYSTEM: Seeing no need to approach this with any special plan in mind, you wear a friendly demeanor as you walk up to the hedgehog. When you are but a few steps away from petting distance, the hedgehog breaks from its reverie and turns towards you! Its spin is a touch too vigorous, for the hedgehog slips and falls over! Worse yet, it falls on its back, causing the spines to once more become tangled in the tree's roots... It is clear to you now that this hedgehog is helplessly dull-witted.
I swear this hedgehog must be cursed or something.
What're you waiting for? Pull him up!
SYSTEM: Reasoning that you and the hedgehog have been through too much together, you decide to rescue it. Though it sees you clearly reaching for it, the hedgehog puts up no resistance and remains motionless. Even after it is freed and back on terra firma, it simply gazes up at you without any hostile movements. You stand there motionless with bated breath, when suddenly the hedgehog rams its head into the nearby tree!
Oh no--
SYSTEM: Before you can process what just happened, an enormous pile of leaves falls from the tree above! Dumbfounded as you are by this unexpected turn of events, it takes some time to notice the hedgehog has disappeared. As you stand there bewildered, you see something gleaming amidst the leaves scattered about on the ground. You sift through the leaves to get a closer look and find that it's a useful set of materials for explorers. Whether the hedgehog intended on leaving you with this gift or not is unclear, but either way, you take the items with you.

SYSTEM: When you finish collecting the items, you go to resume your investigation of the forest.
Befriending forest creatures has benefits, it seems.

Oh, come on. Twice is just mean.

Haha! Nice t--

--ry... Ow...

Come on now, Jackie. We have no time for death.
P-please try to keep me alive. That was a very cold few seconds...

Regain your lost vitali--

...Jackie.
That thing was going to kill me if I let you give the speech. Sorry!

If you select a Force Break, but don't actually get to it before the battle ends, the character's Force isn't broken, but it is set to 0.

We have the Byeahs for this.

This Grimoire's a lot more useful in Story, where you don't have the option of creating a gathering party.

It's also our introduction to the fact that treasure chests can sometimes contain Grimoires. Most of which are...actually pretty useless.

Before we head back to town to unload new materials and rest up, the first stop of Supply lines is a mere 4 steps away.

SYSTEM: As you push through the final thicket, you see a group of guards. You have found the camp! Seeing you, a guard approaches. Wiping the sweat from his brown, he speaks to you uncertainly.
I heard a group of explorers signed up to bring us our supplies. Please tell me that's you...
Pretty sure that's what these boxes are for, yep.
SYSTEM: You tell him the story, and his face breaks into a smile of relief and he takes the heavy box from your hands.
I knew it! Thanks, guys. Now that we've got these, we'll be able to stay and keep investigating. Oh, hold on. If you're delivering this here, I'm guessing you've got a box for the other division too, right? If you want, I can take that off your hands as well. We can drop it off when we run into them next.
SYSTEM: You pause to consider their offer, since it wouldn't hurt to leave the heavy load with them. However, as the task was assigned to you specifically, it might be better to finish the task yourself...
Wait, really? Yes, please take the box--
We will deliver the other supply box ourselves.
I understand. In that case, I wish you good luck in delivering the provisions to the other camp.
SYSTEM: As the guard bids you farewell, you head once more into the verdant forest to complete your task.
Aw, come on, Rheine, this thing is really annoying to carry...
I wouldn't accept servants taking the easy way out of their jobs, and I will not allow myself nor the rest of my guild to shirk our duties, either. We have reuptations to maintain.
Can you please carry the box, then? It's nerve-wracking when we get into a fight and I still have to be careful with this thing.
...very well. Give it here.

And back to town we go. Our first stop is Sitoth Trading, where I sell everything we've gotten so far.

Gladius is unlocked by selling 3 Spotted Carapaces. It's a downgrade from Zack's current Wyvernbone Blade.

Kodachi's unlocked by selling 5 Wyvern Skulls. It's the 2nd best Katana you can buy in the 1st Stratum.

Beast Bow is unlocked by selling 5 Bent Twigs and 1 Large Feather.

Bayonet is unlocked by selling 1 Owl Beak. It's the best gun you can buy in the 1st Stratum, so I buy one for Jackie.

Leather Shield is unlocked by selling 3 Glue Hides. I don't buy it to upgrade Phoebe's Targe because it only gives +3 DEF compared to the Targe. We'll be getting a better shield before Chimaera.

Venom Ring is unlocked by selling 7 Venomous Wings and 2 Glue Hides. It provides immunity to Poison to the person who equips it.

Stab Talisman is unlocked by selling 8 Wyvern Skulls, and provides 25% resistance to Stab attacks. The elemental resistance accessories were super overpowered in EO3 where you could stack them, but in EO4 and beyond you're limited to one accessory per character, making the resistance accessories kinda sucky.

And lastly, I talked to Abigail after selling all this stuff, but before leaving the store:

My dad and I are both so grateful! I've already put it on the show floor, so please take a look. I left the reward with Cass, so you can claim it from him. Thank you sooo much. If I have another request, I hope you'll be the ones to help!

And Abigail's 4F Talk dialogue, because it was blocked off by her quest dialogue before:

Welcome... Oh, hello everyone! You've already gotten up to the fourth floor, right? All the other customers say nobody's ever climbed that quickly. Hee hee... I told them you got all your equipment from this shop! Oh, sorry... I should probably ask you before I start giving away things like that. I didn't cause you trouble, did I?
We are not a secret society, telling customers where we purchase our equipment is no issue.
R-Really? Hee hee...phew, thank goodness!

And before we go back to 4F, time to turn in The item trade II:

Welcome back. How was the weapon they worked up? Well, I s'pose yeh'll find out soon enough. Here yeh go! Thanks again!

These three have uninteresting level ups. I'm leaving Blind Arrow at level 9 for now to keep the TP cost at 8.

Leveling up Charged Ice to 5 would make its TP cost jump up to 20, which I'm not that interested in right now. I had a bit of an internal debate as to whether to go for Charged Shot or another Charged elemental shot, and eventually decided on going for Charged Fire. We won't be needing fire for any big enemies until the 3rd Stratum, but might as well get started now.

Leveling up Attack Order and Guard Order to 3 each unlocks Dauntless Order. Dauntless Order is a buff of mediocre usefulness during the main story, but is an absolute lifesaver, bordering on necessity depending on your party composition, in the postgame. I won't be leveling it up for a long while, but it's one of the Sovereign's best buffs.

I also equip the Beast Bow that we got from turning in the quest. It's a pretty decent upgrade from Nadia's old Short Bow, especially given that we got it for free.

One quick stop at the inn to rest and save, and we're back at it.

Incoming bat!
Wha--pay more attention to where you're leading us!

Whoops. That was careless movement.

Vampire Bat
HP: 1152, STR: 17, VIT: 12
Skills:
  • (G) Blood Drain
  • (G) Echolocation
Drops:
  • Normal: Bat Membrane
  • Conditional: Punctured Wing (Kill with Stab damage)
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Bash, Fire, Ice
  • Weak: Stab, Volt
  • Normal: Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Curse, Fear, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Sleep
  • Resist: Blind, Petrification, Instant Death

It swoops down to feast on blood. Puncture its wings if you hope to survive.

Like I said earlier, Vampire Bats aren't that deadly on their own. They'll always open with Echolocation, which has a high chance to bind a single target's head. Unless you're using an Alchemist, that shouldn't be that huge a hindrance, although binding a Medic's head will stop them from being able to heal, and binding a Troubador or Sovereign's head will stop their buffs for a while. Blood Drain is something to watch out for; it's likely to kill one person, and heals the Vampire Bat based on how much damage it did. Fortunately, it doesn't use Blood Drain until a few turns in, so taking it out quickly is in your best interests.

My basic strategy for the Vampire Bat is basically the same as it was for the Ragelope, except Rheine'll just buff everyone's damage out of the gate. Prevent Order can't stop binds, so it's worthless against Echolocation.

Mmh.

And the bat basically gave me a free turn. Phoebe has no skills that make use of the head right now, so binding her head does nothing.

I didn't mention it when taking on the Ragelope, but the Survivalist's Force Boost, Illusion Step, adds an extra chaser attack to any bow skills they use during the Boost's duration. It's decent enough damage, but it's never going to make much of a difference.

HAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH--did I completely miss it?!

Tornado sadly doesn't have the 100% accuracy modifier it did in EO2, and Landsknechts don't have the highest AGI, so them missing isn't infrequent.

Bodyshot!

Now that's what I'm talking about. Vampire Bats are weak to Stab damage, so Nadia and Jackie are hitting really hard here. Jackie's new gun helps, too.

I have Phoebe start using Front Guard in case the Vampire Bat starts using Blood Drain.

I don't think Guard Order will really be the difference between anyone living or dying, but Rheine has nothing else to do.

Mhmmmr mr mhr mhrmhr mrmhr mr mhr?
I cannot understand a single word you just said, Zachary.

Do keep doing that, though.

Yeah, Vampire Bats are really weak FOEs. This is turn 3, mind you.

Both Supreme Bolt and Summer Rain have really high speed modifiers, and will qualify me for the conditional drop. I just decided to use them both and see whatever went first.

Say goodbye to your hea--um, wings, I guess?

Easy fight.

You might be wondering why Vampire Bats are really easy, especially given that they are FOEs. We'll be seeing why next floor, so just wait till then.

Now THIS is a potentially deadly encounter. Whoever gets put to sleep is in very serious danger of being killed, even from just the splash damage of Dive Kick.

A'ight, let's get serious.

Shield Protect is a weird Force Boost. The game says it "Increases the effectiveness of Shield skills for 3 turns," but what it actually does is halve whatever damage is incoming towards a person under the effects of Shield skills, after the effects of the Shield skill.

It's only 9 AM...I could use some more sleep...

Ha! I barely felt that. These things hit like bricks normally!
Told you I was gettin' serious.

Hypnosis Owls will sometimes "panic" and do nothing for a turn. I'm not entirely sure if this is based off of killing its allies, or if it's just after whenever it uses Sleep Powder.

And we're almost done with the floor. You can see what I was referring to earlier with seeing the floor as just one big maze. I know some people mark rubble with the rock icon the game provides, but rubble might as well just be another wall as far as I'm concerned.

When we go through the door, the second destination for Supply lines is directly to our left.

SYSTEM: Weapons at the ready, you make your way forward. As you listen, however, you realize that you hear footsteps and human voices. Seeing you, a guard approaches. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he speaks to you uncertainly.
I heard a group of explorers signed up to bring us our supplies. Please tell me that's you...
Yes, that's us.
SYSTEM: You tell him the story, and his face breaks into a smile of relief as he takes the heavy box from your hands.
I knew it! Thanks, guys. Now that we've got these, we'll be able to stay and keep investigating.
Whew... That box was surprisingly heavy...
SYSTEM: You have completed the quest! When you have time, you should visit the bar and report your progress.

And with that, 4F is finished.

The game will let you know when an ad campaign has finished in the same manner that it'll let you know when a quest or mission is finished.

As soon as we enter FOEbucks, the game goes to the ad campaign results screen.

Now then, regarding the money earned from this campaign... Grandfather has given us a suggestion. He is asking if we would use the profits to help develop the town.
Oho, civic development. Another opportunity to put my royal experience to work!
If High Lagaard develops, more people will want to live here. And then we could try geting those new people to come here... Get it? The more customers we get, the more famous this restaurant becomes... And as a resident, it simply makes me happy if this town gets better. But, I'll let you handle how you use the money. Grandfather gave you this power because he trusts your decisions.
You must be joking--of course we'll use the funds for development. Where's the development map? I must get started right away!

Town Development is basically how you create more opportunities to advertise your food, along with an additional effect we won't see until later (hint: it will involve Grimoires). It's incredibly simple: you select a district of Lagaard, and then choose whether or not to develop it.

Only 100 ental for basic infrastructure? Get on with it!

W-well. That was certainly quick.

I dunno how town development can happen that quickly, but whatever. Town development can either increase the number of people that a certain group on the map counts for, or introduce new groups with different food tastes.

Very well, then. If development happens that promptly, let us proceed once more!

Oh, nice, I can get advice on my fighting style and attacks!
I hope spinning around isn't a common Landsknecht technique...

Some of the groups that are introduced by developing districts are tied to specific classes. We'll see the relevance of this later on.

When a group's population increases, if the food you advertise in that district appeals to them, you'll sell more of that food.

Since we're nearing the end of the 1st Stratum, I take the opportunity to develop whatever food I can:

Deer Steak restores HP every turn. I don't really find it that useful, even for exploration sustain.

Butterfly Tsukudani doubles any damage dealt by poison inflicted by the party. Meh.

Owl Cartilage Karaage gives the party's basic attacks a Volt element for one turn. I don't think you can get more situational than this, really.

Walnut Yokan slightly increases the chance that a Griomire Chance will occur. Not worth using food for.

We need the ingredient from a 5F monster to develop this food.

Stir-Friend Roller slightly increases the rate at which your party recovers from ailments and binds naturally. I prefer to just take precautionary measures before getting hit with disables, but that's sometimes not an option, in which case...Stir-Fried Roller still isn't that great.

Citron Owl Bowl massively increases the party's resistance to Poison. Useful for Chimaera, pretty worthless otherwise.

Seared Deer blocks one bind per character for 3 turns after a fight starts. I literally cannot think of a single use for this; there is not a single boss or FOE in the game where this will make a significant impact.

We also need ingredients from a 5F monster to cook this.

You'll see why this is actually a mistake later on.

I also drink the Yggdrasil-Clover Tea to demonstrate an interaction it has with quests and missions.

Before we leave, Regina's 5F dialogue:

Ugh! Completely ridiculous! Hm? Oh, I just had to kick out a customer who was being stupid. This is supposed to be a place to eat, but he kept trying to touch me about the waist and my bottom. I mean, really! The imbecile never even touched his food!
You must be pretty dedicated to being a chef if him not eating's what upset you...
I would've smacked that man several times! How absolutely perverted.
I would've done much, much worse...
:confused:

In any case, let's go turn in Supply lines.

Hey, nice job! Looks like yeh got everything delivered. Those poor saps have been in the forest for days. If they're not careful, those trees might just close in on 'em.
Just a few days? I guess the Duchy doesn't teach their guards basic survialism.
So it's a good thing yeh gave 'em a hand! Here, take yer reward. Let's do this again sometime!

Fire Jars are basically low-level Fire Formulas. Use them on an enemy, and you basically cast Fire Formula on them.

Oh yeah, that interaction between the Yggdrasil-Clover Tea and quests I mentioned.

The tea triples all EXP you receive. This includes quests and missions! It distributes what would've been the normal EXP reward to everyone in your guild, too!

I won't be using this after this demonstration. It's far, far too easy to completely snap the main game's difficulty in half by doing this. Mission EXP can sometimes be enough for 3 levels with this!

The 5F quests. We'll start with Braggart Chap's tall tale:

Oi... I'm not so sure yeh should take that one. It's a bit...fishy.
We do every quest we can, Cass. Give it to us.
Mm? Really...? Welp, I s'pose the quest is up there, after all. All right... There's a geezer that lives far from the main city, name of Chapman. More commonly known 'round High Lagaard as Braggart Chap. His story is that he was an explorer once, but no-one believes it.
Wait, what? Why?
Why do yeh think? That old man Chapman always lies. All kinds of ridiculous stories... How he killed a dragon, or how the top of Yggdrasil is made of crystal, that kinda stuff. But he never has proof t'back up his tales. So nobody listens to his boastin' anymore. Insists that there's a spring that collects the moon's tears. Swears up and down he saw it. Well, yeh can ask the old coot himself for details. I think Chap's drinking in this bar right now, even.
We'll talk to the braggart in a bit. What're those other quests, first?

The nameless flower:

Huh? Takin' that one, are yeh? Heh...s'pose that one's a good fit for yeh folks. So there's a good family livin' 'round here, and the grandma's not doing so well these days. Real nice old lady, but her old husband finally gave up the ghost last year. In the old days, he was a guard 'round these parts. Saw them around town a couple times, myself. Cute couple, for old-timers. ...Seems like grandma doesn't have a lotta time left. So the family wants somethin', a present to remind her of grandpa. Now, the way I hear it...back when the ol' man proposed to her, he gave her some kinda flower, yeah? I looked into it, an' sure enough... It's a Labyrinth plant.
'course. Why wouldn't it be. I was looking forward to a nice stroll outside'a town, too.
The drat thing grows smack dab in monster territory. In any case, yeh'll know it when y'see it. The tiny navy blossom blooms 'round the 5th floor, looks like. Think yeh guys can handle that? Awright, then go get it done! G'luck!

This is a quest that's basically positioned exactly along where you need to go in 5F. Not too difficult.

Lastly, A taste for venison:

Ah, so yeh're gonna take that one, eh? That's a special request from me. See, I tried sellin' some Deer Steak here, but it's not sellin' so great. People ain't used to it. Since yeh're all helping with that cafe the Duchy set up, I thought I should ask yeh to get the word out that it's good!
You're asking a competitor to help you with your business... Why?
Huh? Why ask FOEbucks for help when they're my rival business? Haw! Bein' stubborn about this ain't gonna make me a single ental. Got no reason to grumble.
Very pragmatic of you, Cass. You'd make an excellent commerce minister.
Anyways, on to business. What I want yeh to do is to advertise Deer Steaks to the folks of the South Ward. Every customer has their likes and dislikes. If they ain't into the food yeh make, then obviously yeh're not going to get any sales. All yeh gotta do is find folk that like meat, and then advertise it to them. That'll get me sales, sure enough. I'll leave it to yeh to work out the details. I'm counting on yeh.
Pretty sure we just started a campaign for Seared Deer in the South Ward.
We...did. My mistake.

Yep. I forgot about A taste for venison when I did that Seared Deer ad campaign. I could cancel the ad campaign, but that'd be a waste of ingredients, and we'd be losing out on potential money. I'll just wait it out.

Onto the barflies. Patrons with a yellow exclamation point are related to quests we've accepted.

Braggart Chap:

Huh? What d'you want? Got somethin' to say to me, y'little punk?
Well, aren't you rude! We'll go talk to Tramonte, then.
Hold it hold it hold it, Nadia. I think this is the braggart guy.
Are you the gentleman who put up the request about the "moon's tears?"
Quest? Wait, for finding the tears of the moon!? Ah, I see, I see. Finally, somebody that believes me...
I don't believe a single--
Quiet, Nadia. Go on, sir Chapman.
Right, okay! Let me explain! I saw the tears of the moon on the 5th floor of the forest. Now where was it, exactly? Hrm... If I remember right, during a moonlit night, I was walking on the 5th floor. I was about to collapse, and I saw it... Hrm... I can't remember where, but I remember I had been goin' through the forest for so long...and there it was! Please! You gotta find the spring of the moon's tears, and tell me where it is! I'll be waiting here until you come back and tell me where to find that spring, awright?
You can rely on us, sir Chapman.
Why in the gods' names are you giving that man more respect than he deserves?!
Diplomacy leads to peace and prosperity, Nadia. Being confrontational leads to conflict and war.

Exhausted Tramonte:

Gh...nnngh... Snails...so many...snails...
Hmm. What was that substance that snails despise, again?
Pretty sure it's salt. How is that relevant, though--
Cass! Some "Manly Saltwater," please!
Nnhh--Bleagh! Salty!? Wh-What are you doing to an innocent sleeping person!?
Pfffhaha... We're sorry. It seemed like it'd be both funny and appropriate!
...Ah. But I do feel much better now. I've been seeing these snails in my dreams all the time, and I'm so tired... Recently, I've been hunting King Snails because I want an Electric Shell. You can get it by defeating a King Snail with an electric attack, but... Day after day, snails, snails, snails... Snails every day. Trailing snail trails. I'm pale and frail from tailing snails. And now they're even in my dreams... ...No. I can't lose heart! I must do this for Lilly! I'll do it! I'll get it done! I'll do my best!
Aww, that's sweet. Willing to suffer non-stop snail nightmares for the sake of your lover.

Lastly, Statuesque man:

I work, and work, and work...but I keep getting fired... ...What did I do so wrong? Why did the owner's wife have to make a big scene about how she'd fallen for me...? Well, I can get by as long as I have a place to sleep, thanks to the ingredients in the forest. Recently, I've been enjoying Ragelope's Venison! It's fatty, filling, and melts in your mouth... The first time I saw one, I thought it was gonna tear me apart...but now the sight of one just makes me drool in anticipation. ...Huh. ...Maybe I should give up the daily grind...and start a new career as an explorer!
That Deer Steak Regina prepared for us was quite delicious, I will say. I would not say, however, that you'd be able to live off of it...

And before we go to Sitoth Trading, Cass's 5F dialogue:

Looks like yeh made it to the 5th floor.
Well, we took a few steps out of the stairs, but we haven't actually explored it yet.
Not bad for still bein' new at this! Careful, though. I hear there's quite the beastie up on that floor. Just recently, a guild ran into it and was almost wiped out if it weren't for another guild coming in to save 'em. And that guild ain't no pushover. It's the beastie that's not normal here. Yeh lost best be careful, yeh got that? It's no laughing matter if I end up never seeing my regulars again.
Aw, Cass, you got no idea how much that means ta me...

Morcego Staff is unlocked by selling 1 Punctured Wing. In addition to giving +1 TEC like the Amud Staff, it gives +20 TP instead of +8. I buy one for Rheine to give her a bit more TP for long explorations.

Red Choker is unlocked by selling 1 Bat Membrane. It's the second best collar you can get in the 1st Stratum; it gives +5 HP in addition to its +21 DEF.

Wing Leaf is unlocked by selling 2 Large Feathers. If Jackie and Nadia (Zack, Phoebe, and Rheine can't equip clothes) were dying enough, I might consider buying this; as is, +7 DEF isn't going to save them from anything that'd kill them.

Abigail's 5F Talk dialogue:

Welcome! Uh-oh, look out...! Phew, that was close. There we go... Oh, um, it's just this sword is really heavy... W-Wah! Oh no, I-I'm so sorry!
Lemme help you, Abigail. Gimme that sword.
Oh...! I-I'm so sorry! Um, you didn't have to go out of your way to help me... But...um, thank you.
You don't have ta be sorry. It was nothing.
I couldn't reach that shelf, so I was having trouble. I probably shouldn't have customers helping me out like this...b-but it was kind of nice. Hee hee... Well, I'm going to go clean up over on the other side. If you need anything, feel free to call for me.

Marion's 5F Talk dialogue:

Hm...? Oh, it's you. I've been hearing quite a bit about you. Sounds like you're doing pretty well for a new guild. But you're on the 5th floor now. I suggest you exercise caution. If you underestimate the monster that dwells in the depths of that floor, you'll sorely regret it. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid any unnecessary risks.

Nothing we didn't know.

Dubois's 5F Talk dialogue:

Hm, explorers. How may I help you?
We reached the 5th floor. Does the Duchy have any advice for us?
...Ah, so you have reached the 5th floor. Be sure to exercise caution. I have heard that many explorers have lost their lives on the 5th floor. I'm sure that you will be able to take care of yourselves, but remember to stay on your guard.
...thank you, I suppose.

I went back to FOEbucks to swap the Yggdrasil-Clover Tea out for the Walnut Rye Bread (because the EXP tea snaps the EXP curve in half so hard it's not even funny). In the process, I also triggered Regina's dialogue for A taste for venison:

...Hm, I see. So you want to sell steaks made from deer meat. I'm sure it'll do well if you advertise it to people who like meat. If no region comes to mind, you could develop the South Ward?
We've done that quite a few times. The region is quite open to meat.
Just my opinion, but I think that might do some good. You might even get some meat-and-potatoes people to advertise to. That's pretty much all I can think of. I'll handle the cooking just fine, though, if you bring me the ingredients.

I'm slightly regretting that Seared Deer ad campaign now. Oh well.

Quona's 5F dialogue is the same as her 4F dialogue, so here's Hanna's dialogue to close out the update:

Did you hear about the monster on the 5th floor? The barkeep was talking about it earlier, I suppose... One of my guests told me about it, too, and I know they'd never lie. All those different kinds of monsters mixed together...gah! The thought gives me chills! Are you sure you'll be okay, loves? Try not to overdo it, okay? Listen. However much you like exploring, there's no sense throwing your life away over it!
Wait. "All those different kinds of monsters mixed together...?"
A chimaera is a mythical--well, I believed it was mythical--monster that is several monsters fused together.
Ohh, that can't be a nice sight...

Rea fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 28, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have screenshots for the other recipe pictures, if you want them in PM.

Though, upon looking again, your capture card seems to have taken better quality pictures than the ones I have.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 27, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Quona's talk dialogue only changes once per Stratum or whenever you trigger event dialogue from Regina.

The Poison damage food is actually completely absurd if you're using a Hexer with Venom Curse, because a level 20 version of that hits pretty hard, especially with the double Poison damage food, and that's pretty much the first skill you want to max out for them. TP cost isn't even a concern with Hexers, so there's no need to hold off on leveling up the skill. Venom Curse stops being a one hit kill for random encounters midway through the game, but it's still fairly useful until late/post-game. (Ah, some things never change. :allears:)

As with accessories and food that have arrows up next to them (If they're providing resistances. I don't think what I'm about to say applies with any other effects food give, like extra Grimoire chances) the amount of resistance they provide are as follows:

1 arrow means it increases resistance by 10%.
2 arrows means it increases resistance by 25%.
3 arrows means it increases resistance by 50%.
4 arrows means it gives complete immunity.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 7: Your Best Friends (plus some snails)

Everyone ready? We're entering Chimaera's territory today.
We're...not actually fighting it today, right?
Do not forget sir Hrothgar. We need to find him and his pet before they do something rash...

And we begin this update with me allocating skill points I forgot to last update. I maxed out Sword Mastery, which unlocked Falcon Slash on Zack. Falcon Slash is a random-target Cut attack that can only hit any given enemy once, and has a maximum number of times it can hit. It's pretty much built for taking out random encounters, although the TP cost's too steep to really use that much early on. We do need it at level 5 to unlock Hurricane.

Meanwhile, these four have very uninteresting level ups. Nothing groundbreaking here.

Let's begin. 5F is slightly longer than 4F in terms of "time you'll spend on the floor," but it still isn't that long.

Holy gods, that's more teeth than I'm comfortable with a flower having.
Eh. How's it going t' see us without eyes? We'll be fine.

Rafflesia
HP: 362, STR: 12, VIT: 11
Skills:
  • (G) Poison Pollen
  • (G) Freezing Snare
Drops:
  • Normal: Huge Petal
  • Ingredient: Giant Bud
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Bash, Volt
  • Weak: Cut, Fire
  • Resist: Stab, Ice
  • Normal: Blind, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Curse
  • Resist: Poison

A man-eating plant that emanates a venomous pollen.

Remember how I said Giant Ladybugs back on 3F could summon a 5F monster if you left them alone? This is that monster. Rafflesias aren't as intimidating as they would be if you fought them on 3F, but they can still kill some party members, potentially cause a game over, if you're not careful. Poison Pollen tries to poison an entire row, which ticks for around 40 damage. Freezing Snare is an all-party Ice attack that also deals around 40 damage. Our party can survive that fairly easily at this point, but if anyone is poisoned, Freezing Snare + the poison would kill them.

Fire Rounds is a composite Fire+Stab attack, which is why it dealt that much damage even though Rafflesias resist Stab. When you have a composite damage type like that, the game just picks whatever element would deal the most damage and uses that.

See? Told ya those teeth don't mean anything.

Rafflesias' basic attacks don't hurt that much, especially with Front Guard factored in.

Cut cut cut!

Every Stratum has a floor with one of all three types of gathering points on it. They only give one food type each, sadly.

This Chop point gives Asparagus.

Another solo Rafflesia. Okay.

Hold it. I think that shortcut's already open.

Secret room here.

Oh come on. Why do I always seem to trigger encounters at doors and in front of chests?!

Third solo Rafflesia in a row. Sure. Whatever. These things aren't that hard to deal with.

Now that's a good reward. We'll need as many as possible for the Chimaera fight.

5F's Mine point. I kinda wish it gave Rock Salt instead of Sugar Beets, but oh well.

How many big flowers can be on one floor? Jeez.

That is four encounters in a row now against a solo Rafflesia.

Ooogh, that's worse than a hangover...

:barf:
On one hand, I feel sorry for Zack. On the other, kinda glad he's not in our row...

And way further down the...alley, I guess I'd call it, we find:

Any of you know how to curse people? 'Cause I don't.
I know how to lace arrows with venom, but that's about it.

Abdomen Curse is a Hexer skill that tries to bind one enemy's arms. Nadia could maybe make decent use of it, but she needs to be contributing as much damage as possible early on.

That is the FIFTH solo Rafflesia encounter in a row. Now I'm starting to get a little annoyed.

:barf:

SIX solo Rafflesias in a row.

Oh g-gods that's cold, e-even through my jacket...
I-I should've dressed warmer...

I have Rheine use her Force Break here to both heal everyone and give Nadia and Jackie some TP.

Stay determined, all of you!

Got a level up after the sixth Rafflesia there.

I finally raise Tornado to level 5 because Zack's going to need as much damage as possible in the upcoming Chimaera fight.

These three have the same level ups as last time, basically.

I opt to level up Attack Order to level 5, which increases the duration to 4 turns at the cost of raising its TP cost to 10. I want it as high a level as possible before Chimaera.

SYSTEM: It is High Lagaardian currency... Could some explorer have dropped it? You may pick it up if you wish, though the option is always there to ignore the money.
We are not risking an ambush. Everyone turn back.
SYSTEM: Knowing that nothing good ever came from greed, you decide not to touch the money.

The last hedgehog event is here, but it involves an encounter I wasn't that interested in getting into. We'll see it after Chimaera.

Seven Rafflesias in a row. That's a lucky number.

Finally, something different from those teeth flowers...

King Snail
HP: 343, STR: 13, VIT: 11
Skills:
  • Snail March
Drops:
  • Normal: Metal Hull
  • Conditional: Electric Shell (Kill with Volt damage)
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Fire, Ice, Volt
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Sleep, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Panic
  • Resist: Curse

The king of all snails, whose magnificent shell changes attributes when electrified.

King Snails aren't that intimidating on their own, or even when paired up with a Hypnosis Owl like here. It's when they have Forest Snails that they become dangerous, thanks to Snail March there. You'll see it later.

Smash its shell and smear it on the Labyrinth's floor!

Even tiny eyes can't escape my aim!

Tramonte said something about electrifying snails, didn't she?

Wake up, everyone. Battle's over.
Mm...gimme a few minutes, sis... Lemme sleep it off...
I'm not your sister, Zack! We gotta get going.

Hm. This is odd. Why are there pillars in this small room disconnected from the rest of the floor?

Aaahhhh, what am I stepping in?!
SYSTEM: ...It's moss! Even through your thick-soled boots, it is evident how soft the ground is. But why would moss be growing in a place like this? Moss thrives on liquid, but try as you might, you don't see any water sources nearby. Yet you can't discount the possibility of an unseen source of water somewhere... If you wish to solve the mystery, you might try coming back here at night.
You guys think we should go wait till night falls back in town?
We will come back later. Let us map out the floor before we take care of sir Chapman's request.

Coming back here from 7 PM to 6 AM will result in a different event.

And behind this door...

How'd all these monsters get in here?!
This looks like a serious pain to navigate...
Gimme a second to think and we'll be fine. Hmm...
SYSTEM: Whether you slip by without encountering them or fight your way through, the passage will be harder than ever before. If you are prepared, then step forth!

A room full of Ragelopes and Vampire Bats. The Ragelopes circle around those two trees you see, while the Vampire Bats maintain their normal back-and-forth pattern. My first time playing, I was intimidated by this room pretty badly, but it's actually not that big a pain to navigate. Just try to trail behind the Ragelopes and stay out of the Vampire Bats' way.

Wait for that Ragelope and that bat to pass, then we run.

Ready... GO!

Same thing for these last two.

And we're done. Like I said, the room looks more intimidating than it actually is.

Let's go to the left first. We gotta map everything.

And the last gathering point of the floor, the Take point.

This is a fairly threatening encounter. A hit from the King Snail could finish off anyone in the back line low hit by Poison Pollen or Freezing Snare.

I killed the Rafflesia first, and this was the result:

Fight fair! You gotta gang up on us with your snail buddies to stand a chance?!
They're just snails, Zack.

If a King Snail is the last monster left alive, it has a chance of summoning 4 Forest Snails and putting itself in the back row.

Steel yourselves! The king is coordinating with the minion snails!

That message pops up when a group of monsters are preparing a group attack. I kill the Forest Snails before the King Snail can act, though, which leads to:

YEAH! Not so tough without your snail buddies, huh?!
I know battle gets you worked up, Zack, but seriously, give it a rest.

Snail March is a random-target Bash attack that hits (1 + (# of Forest Snails)) times. It hurts quite a bit, and is capable of killing one or two party members if you get unlucky with the hits. Thankfully, the actual attack is tied to the King Snail, not any of the Forest Snails, meaning that blinding the King Snail will pretty much completely shut the attack down.

And now that I've unlocked this shortcut, I take the chance to go back to town, sell off what we've gotten so far, and rest.

Warabide is unlocked by selling 3 Owl Beaks and 1 Metal Hull. If you're using a Ronin, this is the best katana you can buy in the 1st Stratum.

Rafflesia Whip's unlocked by selilng 1 Huge Petal. It's the best whip for Dark Hunters you can get in the 1st Stratum.

Flower Collar is unlocked by selling 4 Huge Petals. It's worthless for reasons we'll see later.

Lightning Shield is unlocked by selling 1 Electric Shell. It provides 10% resistance to Volt attacks. I didn't buy one for Phoebe here, but I might before Chimaera; it's a decent boost over her current Targe.

After that, I rest up, and run into an enemy on 3F I forgot to demonstrate while I was going through it.

Cube Gel
HP: 84, STR: 9, VIT: 8
Skills:
  • Stomach Acid
Drops:
  • Normal: Gel Core
Damage resistances:
  • Weak: Fire, Ice, Volt
  • Resist: Cut, Stab, Bash
  • Normal: Blind, Paralysis, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind
  • Weak: Poison
  • Resist: Panic, Arm bind, Leg bind

An unusual life-form whose viscous, liquid body is very difficult to damage.

Cube Gels don't hit hard. They're just annoying to take down if you don't have a Gunner or Alchemist. They have one noteworthy thing about them, though. When you kill them, this happens:

Oh gods, ew! Get it off me!

Stomach Acid reduces the entire party's physical damage for 3 turns. If you're in a fight against multiple enemies without elemental damage, this can seriously make the fight a real hassle.

Anyway, back to 5F.

SYSTEM: It appears to be a tiny flower, small enough to hold in a single hand...its petals a regal navy blue. You suddenly remember the quest you accepted at the bar... The quest involved a flower that would spark fond memories for an elderly lady who misses her beloved. This flower may be the very same that the quest asked for. You can choose to leave the flower where it is, or you can choose to pick it and take it back.
Well? Go on, pick it.
Don't rush me, flowers are pretty delic-AHH!

SYSTEM: The monster, shocked by your presence, lunges at you on instinct!

Nah.

Come back when you've learned some honor!

SYSTEM: You have completed the quest! When you have time, you should visit the bar to report your progress.

Thought we saw the last of those dinos a few floors ago.

As easy to trick as ever, though.

Another FOE puzzle that looks worse than it actually is. You have two trees, one tile apart, with one Ragelope circling the one we're currently close to, and the other two circling the other one. Same solution as the others: just wait for the second Ragelope circling the right tree to pass, then run behind it.

There's a chest before we go further, though. Ice Jars are the same thing as Fire Jars, except they basically cast Ice Formula instead of Fire Formula.

The Raptor probably won't catch up to the party going through the Ragelope puzzle, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

So I trap it one more time to immobilize it.

You don't have to wait for the second Ragelope to pass, neccessarily; just the first one. I'd advise waiting for the second one to pass if you're close to a random encounter, though.

These FOEs are pretty coordinated to create puzzles like that.
Well, they've all got a common interest.
Hm?
Eating us.

This is gonna hurt...

OH GODS STOP, I'M SORRY!

That is NOT a fun encounter to get blindsided by. Zack came dangerously close to death there.

HAHA! Try that again, tough guy!
They're snails, Zack. You don't need t' get so worked up.

Like I said, blind shuts down Snail March hard.

Shooting snails seems kinda unfair...
Don't feel sorry for them. You saw how fast they moved when they unloaded on me!

We're almost done with 5F. This is the last room coming up.

Um.
That dinosaur is blocking our way. Do we feel like we could fight it...?
I'm not taking any chances. Everyone retreat!

I have to go back into the previous room and let the Raptor de-aggro. The only way forward here otherwise is getting into a fight with the Raptor.

There's some pits over there! Move!

T-too close...

Back up! NOW!

Phew.
I used to think dinosaurs were cool...

Um.

There we go. It might've looked like I was sandwiched there, but keep in mind the Raptor was injured and only takes 1 step for every 2 we do. It's easy to bait it into the other pit, as a result.

A modest sum of money, and our last chest of the Stratum.

Hm. You guys hear something behind that door?
Now that you mention it... It sounds like a...wolf...
WULFGAR!

SYSTEM: The black beast Wulfgar, always at his master's side, is here with blood-matted fur.
I-I didn't want to think this'd happen...
Hrothgar, you fool. You absolute fool, please be okay...

SYSTEM: When he spots you, he nudges towards you some objects at his feet, as if trying to appeal to you.

SYSTEM: The objects are assorted pieces of equipment... You surmise that they belonged to the Beowulf guild. One of them is a bloody sword that you receognize as that which Hrothgar carried. After presenting the equipment to you, the beast gazes ahead into the forest and gives a mournful howl. It is a cry filled with the sorrow of losing something precious...
Guess Hrothgar really wanted revenge. Can't blame him, honestly.
He saw three of his guild die to Chimaera. What made him think he could kill it with two...?
SYSTEM: In this way, you grasp the fate that has befallen the Beowulf Guild. And you know without a shadow of a doubt that beyond that door awaits Chimaera, the king of beasts... The black beast's gaze is locked upon you through the pain of its wounds, as if begging. You can challenge the king of beasts now, or return to town to ensure you're prepared.

AAAAAUUUUUGGGHH!

Where's Chimaera?! I'll rip it apart monster by monster!
Lemme at it, too!

You IDIOTS! STOP!

SYSTEM: Its roar is so powerful that not only does it shake the nearby grass and trees, but your party as well. This must be Chimaera, king of beasts...the monster which you must slay!
A...ah...
T-this is Chimaera? This is what the Duchy wants us to slay...?
SYSTEM: The monster is unquestionably strong. Before you face it head on, you think it may be wise to see if anything in your surroundings may prove useful. Whether you charge at once or take a more measured approach is up to you. Once your mind is resolved, then make your move!

Fighting Chimaera right now would be absolute suicide, although you could probably guess that yourself.

Get out of here!

What in the seven hells were you two thinking?! You just saw what Chimaera does to explorers going on their own!
I didn't think Chimaera'd be so fearsome...or big...
What could've brought something that horrible into the world? What could've combined a bunch of monsters into one...?
Bein' dead won't do us much good in answering those questions, Jackie.
We'll ponder these questions and pay our respects to Hrothgar later. Engaging the beast right now would just result in us joining Hrothgar. Let us go tell the others what we found and prepare.

Ooh, the Landsknechts must've loved the Seared Deer.

After the results screen is closed:

He said that he wanted to trade Grimoires. If you're interested, I set up a section to trade in the Guild House, so check it out. He said something about it being good to have different classes and trading with stronger guilds. ...I didn't understand a thing.
Heyyyy...if the Landsknechts Guild was what wanted meat, that means...

Aww, come on. Only some axe guys came by for the meat?

Say hello to FOEbucks's newest feature: Grimoire Trading. Every so often, the list of explorers up for trading gets shuffled, in addition to Guest being added in time with ad campaigns. If an ad campaign you ran appealed to a group directly tied to a class, like the Landsknechts Guild, you'll get Guests, who have much higher leveled Grimoires compared to the normal riffraff.

I don't actually do any trading, but I do get the Deer Steak campaign we need for A taste for venison going before I leave.

Next, stopping by the Stickleback:

Hey, welcome back... This is the flower he proposed with? The drat thing's tiny...
It took quite a bit of gentleness to pick, yes.
...Looks like it's the real deal. Y'must have sharp eyes t'find a tiny li'l guy like this in the Labyrinth! Well, this oughta put a smile on the old lady's face. Good goin'. Here, take yer reward. Lookin' forward to yer help next time, too!

Like I said earlier, we need to back to that lone 3x3 room in the Labyrinth at night to see a different event.

SYSTEM: Looking carefully at your surroundings, you notice something odd on the ground. ...It's moss! Even through your thick-soled boots, it is evident how soft the ground is. But why would moss be growing in a place like this...? As you ponder this question, you see water seep to the surface, creating a small pond. The moonlight's glow hits the water, making it seem like a thing alive...
My word. It's more glorious than any piece of art...
SYSTEM: The sight is so beautiful that it doesn't seem an exaggeration to describe it as tears spilling down from the moon. You can feel your cares and stresses melt away as you gaze upon it...

The event restores 35 TP to your whole party. Pretty useful if you're exploring 5F at night.

SYSTEM: The tears of the moon which Braggart Chap inquired after... He wished to know where they might be found. You feel certain that the "moon's tear" he spoke of is this very pool. Simply tell your client about htis place when you are next at the bar and the request will be complete.

We could've just told Braggart Chap where the event is, but it still needs to be night for it to actually count for quest completion.

Pretty sure we found where your "moon's tears" are.
Y-You actually found it!? Where... I mean, where was it!? C'mon, tell me!

Right abouuuuuut...here.
Oh...so that's where it was! Awright, I'll take my son with me and go check it out!

Fade to black, followed by:

Y-You guys did it! You really found it! Thank you, thank you so much! It exists! It really exists! I was even seeing it in my dreams, but I couldn't find it...!
Guess you're not dreamin' any more, eh? Eh?
Ahahaha! Guess you're right! No pinchin' myself outta this one! But...thank you. For everything. I'm...really grateful... Gah...and old man oughta have more dignity than this... Look, I left somethin' with Cass, as my thanks to you. Go on, go get it. Thank you...so much.

Back already? Yeh aren't half bad. Never thought someone would waltz in and prove old Braggart Chap's been right all along... Guess it's time for a little field trip. I'll grab ol' Chap, the fellas, and some supplies, and we'll all go take a look.
You want to see the beauty for yourself, Cass? I do not blame you.
Eh? What're yeh talkin' about? I'm not allowed to go on a drinking trip with my buddies 'cause I feel like it? Look, go ahead and take yer reward. Awright?

Worthless.

Not worthless!

I only need Tornado level 5 for Hurricane, and I'd like Hurricane as soon as possible, so I start leveling up Falcon Slash.

Pretty much the same level ups as before for these two. Paralysis Arrow now has a higher chance of paralyzing its target, at the cost of the TP cost going up to 8.

Jackie unlocked Charged Fire. We actually won't really need this until the 3rd Stratum, but eh.

One last point in Attack Order before Chimaera for Rheine.

Only unlocked the Sauschwert, which requires 2 Metal Hulls. It's a downgrade from Hrothgar's Sword.

And to close out the update, let's develop those last two foods.

Forest Deer Sukiyaki doubles your party's action speed for the first turn of a fight. Not really worth it.

Black Tea greatly increases your party's resistance to blind. This is actually very useful for a few fights later on in the game.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Chimaera pre-fight overview

Chimaera
HP: 8220 (can be reduced to 5500), STR: 21, TEC: 16, VIT: 17, AGI: 14, LUC: 17
Skills:
  • Snake Pile: Uses the legs. Deals 100% melee STR-based Stab damage to one target, with line-piercing affect. Attempts to inflict poison on hit targets, with a 60% base chance and 40 base poison damage (around 46 adjusted for level). Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Great Blaze: Uses the head. Deals 160% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to one target, with 50% splash damage to adjacent targets. Has a 60% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Double Strike: Uses the arms. Deals two instances of 90% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target twice. Has a 90% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Menacing Roar: Uses the head. Reduces the party's physical defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 120% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Brute Tail. 100% chance. Sells for 208 en. 1 needed to make Kagenui (+43 ATK, +10 TP, +2 VIT).
    "Chimaera tail that resembles a serpent. Still full of life and wrath, writhing still."
  • Conditional: Poison Wing (Kill with poison damage). 100% chance. Sells for 780 en. 1 needed to make Zamiel Bow (+194 ATK, +40 TP, +5 LUC).
    "Wing of a Chimaera that died while poisoned."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 125% 100%
50% 25% 50% 50% 100% 50% 50%
0% 0% 10%
50% 50% 75%

A horror born from the fusion of various creatures. It leads the charge in combat.

Chimaera is a very tough first boss. Its skillset mostly consists of hard-hitting attacks that can either kill or put your party members close to death, and his normal attacks hurt quite a lot, too. You may be :shittypop:ing at that "8220 HP" stat, but let me explain.

Chimaera is also an introduction to something EO2U does for a few of its bosses: having to solve a field puzzle similar to what we've had to do for the Raptors so far. Chimaera's boss room has 4 piles of rubble with pits at a corner; the idea there is to bait Chimaera into each of the pits, which will lower Chimaera's HP by ~10% each. Starting a fight with Chimaera while it's in a pit will also not only give you a free turn, but will automatically bind its legs. If you don't do this field puzzle, you're going to be in for some serious pain.

Snake Pile not only hits incredibly hard, if it inflicts poison, it's pretty much a death sentence for whoever it hits. Only Ursa with Desperation on can realistically survive being hit by Snake Pile + the poison, and even then that's not certain.

Great Blaze deals moderate Fire damage with a splash effect. It hurts, but it's (probably) not going to kill someone from full HP.

Double Strike hits a bit harder than Snake Pile, and can either hit one or two people. If it hits one person twice, they're pretty much dead. No questions asked.

Menacing Roar is something that you need to instantly dispel, pretty much. It turns Chimaera's already high-damage physical skills into overkill. It, thankfully, does not affect Great Blaze's damage. I should note that if someone has a defense buff on them when Menacing Roar is cast, all Menacing Roar will do is cancel out the buff.

Chimaera's AI will begin the fight by using either Great Blaze or its normal attack. Once Chimaera drops below 66% HP (or if you start the fight after dropping it in the pits four times), it will start throwing in Snake Pile into the mix. Chimaera also starts using Menacing Roar once it drops below 50% HP, as well as infrequently using Double Strike. Finally, once Chimaera's HP bar turns red (once you get it below 20%), it will start going berserk and using Double Strike a lot more, while using its normal attack quite a lot less.

I will note that, while conditional drops don't disqualify you from normal drops like in EO3, they don't sell for that much money, and we won't be able to use the equipment for a long while. With that in mind, onto the guild members:

Damage dealers
Zack: Zack can deal appreciable damage under the effects of Full Charge, and is durable enough to probably survive being hit by most of Chimaera's stuff outside of Snake Pile. Outside of Full Charge, though, his damage is moderate at best, and he'll run out of TP very quickly.

Freyja: Freyja doesn't deal amazing damage yet, but binding Chimaera can give the party a few breather turns to lower Chimaera's HP. She's fragile enough to die to even just one hit from Double Strike, as well as Snake Pile. Chimaera's normal attacks, and possibly the main hit from Great Blaze won't kill her, but they will leave her very badly hurt. Rose Prison and Viper can poison Chimaera, but neither of those poisons actually tick for that much damage.

Stardust: Chimaera has an Ice weakness, and Stardust has Compression access now. Even without Analysis active, Stardust can easily chew through Chimaera's HP with compressed Cocytus Formulas. She 100% will die to Snake Pile and will be left severely hurt by Double Strike, though.

Asriel: Asriel's damage output is pretty good vs. Chimaera. He also won't have to worry about TP too much given how little Horse Slash costs, especially with Immovable. He has the same fragility problem as Freyja, however.

Jackie: Jackie can deal decent Ice damage with Charged Ice, much like Stardust. Her damage isn't quite as ludicrous as Stardust with Compression's is, but Supreme Bolt can buy a free turn for the party to do whatever (unless I get unlucky and have Chimaera's stun resistance work against me), in addition to dealing quite heavy damage.

Colette: Ailing Slash deals very heavy damage even this early on, but Colette needs Nadia or Sophie to actually use it effectively. Otherwise, her damage is mediocre. Her survivability is slightly above that of Freyja and Asriel.

Tyler: Spear Assist can take advantage of Chimaera's weakness to Ice if we have Jackie or Stardust in the party. Tyler also has the HP and VIT to survive quite a bit of punishment compared to some of our other front liners. Delayed Charge and Cross Charge aren't at high enough levels to make that much of an impact yet, sadly.

Defense
Phoebe: Fire Wall completely nullifies Great Blaze, and Phoebe's TP pool is high enough that she can most likely cast it enough in the fight without running out of TP. Front Guard will greatly help with Chimaera's normal attacks and Double Strike, but it doesn't do much against Snake Pile (due to the poison component).

Ursa: Having Ursa in the party means that fragile characters like Freyja and Asriel are much safer picks than if we have Phoebe. Her HP is high enough that she can probably live through tanking Great Blaze (the main hit and the splash damage), and maybe Double Strike. Snake Pile WILL kill Ursa if she tanks it, though; if she doesn't die to the actual damage (incredibly unlikely), the Poison will do her in unless she has Desperation on.

Supports
Nadia: Chimaera doesn't resist blind or paralysis, and landing either of them will make the fight quite a bit easier. Sleep Arrow's also an option, given that Chimaera is weak to sleep. Nadia doesn't deal much damage or have the ability to dodge-tank yet, though, limiting her usefulness once she's landed an ailment.

Realga: If Ursa is in the party, Realga can help patch her up immediately with Chase Heal, which may actually let Ursa live through Snake Pile, and will take quite a bit of the sting out of Double Strike. She can't respond to Snake Pile's poison that effectively, though, given that it will almost certainly kill whoever gets hit with it. Medical Miracle can potentially turn the fight around if the party ends up in a bad situation.

Milly: Milly still lacks the skill points needed to really be an effective Troubador. Crusade can make some of the more bursty skills, like any Compressed Formulas from Stardust, Supreme Bolt from Jackie, or Tyler's Delayed Charge + Cross Charge combo, deal some serious hurt, but that's a one-time thing.

Sophie: Sophie's Venom Curse is our most reliable option for getting Chimaera's conditional drop. She's going to have a hard time landing Venom Curse, though, even while under the effects of Creeping Curse, and if the poison doesn't kill Chimaera, all will have been for naught. Outside of that, while most of Sophie's skill points will be invested in Venom Curse, she can still try to blind Chimaera or put it to sleep before we need to poison it. Note that stacking Nadia and Sophie in the same party isn't that great of an idea, due to the fact that enemies can only have one status ailment at a time; if you inflict a status ailment while an enemy's under the effects of one, the old one gets overwritten.

Rheine: Rheine provides speedy buffs, row-based (or party-based if she's using Victory Vow) healing, and can dispel Menacing Roar (or block it if the party has Guard Order on them). She contributes no damage yet, though.

Rea fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 31, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Update 7: Your Best Friends

You IDIOTS!

Oh you.

Stardust, Jackie, Sophie.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tyler, Jackie, and Realga

For stabbing damage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Jackie, Nadia, Realga.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm pretty sure that Supreme Bolt's Stun can't actually fail unless the target is outright immune to Stun. And unlike EO2, there are actually enemies and bosses that are immune to it in EO2U.

Jackie, Sophie, and Milly. I got the all conditionals on my first fights in EO2, you can too. :unsmigghh: (Or Chimaera's at least for this one.)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm pretty sure that Supreme Bolt's Stun can't actually fail unless the target is outright immune to Stun.

I've had it fail against some FOEs before in other playthroughs (and I think I've had Chimaera not be stunned by it once). It's worked far more often than not, though, which is more than I can say about Rose Prison.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Zack, Tyler, Stardust

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Tyler to take the first step on becoming a hero, Ursa to take up Wulfgar's claw, and Stardust for the Highlander synergy.

...Also because I started my Classic playthrough and the Alchemist is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Let's get some sweet sweet revenge.

Realga, Sophie and Jackie

• Locked thread