Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

frajaq posted:

Makes sense that you would get that AFTER Bunker Hill becomes your settlement

I don't have bunker hill available to be a settlement yet, I have done a few quests for them though, like finding the barmans hat and dealing with some raiders the boss of the place asked me to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

MisterBibs posted:

I'm a bit lost in the main quest. I just got the data from the Institute back to the dude who asked for it and wasn't given the next quest in the chain. I have a turn-in to the Railroad leader, but all she cares about is me chosing either them or the Minutemen and won't let me turn it in (Memory Interrupted.

I have a Institute-based mission that I don't want to do; do I have to do it to progress the main plot?

just pick one with dez, it literally doesn't have any effect on anything because this game is loving garbage when it comes to plot and player choice

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shannow posted:

I don't have bunker hill available to be a settlement yet, I have done a few quests for them though, like finding the barmans hat and dealing with some raiders the boss of the place asked me to do.

Welp, guess I know what's next on my plate.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Fereydun posted:

why, indeed

quoting this for the next page because this is the Correct Choice for why you would haul a ton of poo poo on your packmule of a dog to home plate

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
Weapon perks are important at higher levels, but for the first 20 levels you're going to be better off just using whatever works best / whatever you have ammo for. It's entirely possible you'll be be close to done with the story before specialization starts to matter. Especially when the main quest likes to dump great weapons on you.

FO4 could really use something like skill tagging in F:NV, maybe tagging perks for a free rank & lowering the level requirement for upgrading that perk. Something to encourage specializing your character right from the start, rather than 15 hours in.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Magmarashi posted:

:sigh: I've checked them already and none of them have the red tarp-covered structure with the cinderblocks. Unless they're some sort of secret special unlock for doing something, in which cause it would be much more useful to tell me how to get them.

They are. You have to do a couple quests at Bunker Hill. It's been awhile since I did that bit, but just ask around and you'll trip over some quests. I unlocked it entirely by accident, I think it was only two quests. It unlocks the trading post you're talking about, and causes more vendor caravans to start showing up at your settlement besides Trashcan Carla. There's at least three? I've seen so far.

Sankis posted:

Whats even the point of the Assault Rifle when the Combat Rifle outclasses it completely? Am I missing something about it?

I haven't done much with the combat rifles yet, I'll give one a go for comparison. But a fully modded-out auto assault rifle is pretty great. Using it with maxed Commando and Bloody Mess, stuff just melts. Two levels in Scrounger has helped for ammo too, and the water baron thing means I just buy out 5.56 ammo from any vendors that have it. I occasionally switch out to my explosive SMG for a bit if I start running low on ammo, but it's not usually a problem.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I'm still not terribly far in this game, but from what I've gathered from the Brotherhood of Steel, they are from Lyon's Pride back in Fallout 3. In that game Bethesda pretty much wrote them to be the "good guys" against the Enclave "bad guys." That meant they were sort of a defective group of the B.O.S. at that point and didn't really follow the Brotherhood's ideals. That was the whole reason the Outcasts existed. They were dudes that left Lyon's Pride because they wanted to get back to being what the B.O.S. was all about, being dicks to everyone. Now in Fallout 4, Lyon's Pride seem to be dicks again. Quite flip flopping B.O.S.

There's some background in some terminals on the Prydwen. You can read them ("The Rise of Elder Maxson") on the wiki of Prydwen terminal entries, though be aware that other terminal entries do contain spoilers for other parts of the game. The long and short is that once Sarah Lyons died and Maxon took over, he reconciled the eastern Brotherhood with the Outcasts and with the west coast BOS. They're basically back to being complete assholes due to the change in leadership from FO3.

I'm really annoyed by Preston's radiant "a settlement needs help" quests. They're time-sensitive, so if you don't do them then they'll eventually auto-fail. I tried clearing out the location but not turning them in to the settlement, but they still autofail. I tried turning them in to the settlement but not talking to Preston afterward, but I'm pretty sure that fucker completed a quest and gave me a new one just by walking by me without me even initiating dialogue with him. They're basically perma-time sensitive radiant quests. I'm thinking I might just tell Preston to go hang out all alone down in the Murkwater Construction Site settlement and never talk to him again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I'm still not terribly far in this game, but from what I've gathered from the Brotherhood of Steel, they are from Lyon's Pride back in Fallout 3. In that game Bethesda pretty much wrote them to be the "good guys" against the Enclave "bad guys." That meant they were sort of a defective group of the B.O.S. at that point and didn't really follow the Brotherhood's ideals. That was the whole reason the Outcasts existed. They were dudes that left Lyon's Pride because they wanted to get back to being what the B.O.S. was all about, being dicks to everyone. Now in Fallout 4, Lyon's Pride seem to be dicks again. Quite flip flopping B.O.S.

That's because the new Elder is an absolute dick. I'm not putting that in spoiler tags. He's a dick.

And so's everybody else except, I guess, the Minutemen on a good day.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Think I might be the only one who prefers stammering awkward DJ to his confident self. It's what made him unique.

Insecure Travis is the only good writing and voice-acting in the game

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Bholder posted:

Recently playing through Fallout 1 I can tell you this: While the main questline does give you multiple options to get to your goal, be it fighting, talking or sneaking, this is not true for most of the sidequests.

I got pretty pissed when I figured out the only way I can help that one guy's raider problem in his farm is to barge in the front door (which is the only entrance) and shoot everyone.

Reverse pickpocketing explosives into any neutral NPCs that wander into and out of buildings you want stuff to die in is a good way to avoid direct conflict on missions like that. If no one is outside a building within eyesight, you can drop a bomb at the door, and place other charges out of the first one's blast radius with varying lengths of time while you find a far away enclosed place to hit sneak. You can also clear out faction non-KOS mobs out of locations you need to loot just by dropping a live charge, they'll start combat and run away then you can disarm and retrieve the bomb and loot before they return.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I regret doing his quest since he was way more amusing beforehand.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Earlier in the thread there were people taking a rumour that travis was a nexus modder hired by Bethesda 100% seriously. I dunno how the gently caress people fell for that but the fact that some people did pretty much proves Insecure Travis is the best piece of voice acting Bethesda has ever done.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So what's the canon ending of Fallout 3? It looks like Elder Owens died right after Fallout 3 ended and the Brotherhood upped stakes, are there any other references to what's going on in DC? Given Bethesda's form with Elder Scrolls I'm guessing either a caldera erupted and buried the whole place in ash or the Brotherhood guy made the wasteland fertile again with the power of CHIM

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

2house2fly posted:

So what's the canon ending of Fallout 3? It looks like Elder Owens died right after Fallout 3 ended and the Brotherhood upped stakes, are there any other references to what's going on in DC? Given Bethesda's form with Elder Scrolls I'm guessing either a caldera erupted and buried the whole place in ash or the Brotherhood guy made the wasteland fertile again with the power of CHIM

"Transcription error :^)"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

The main railroad quest as it relates to the main plot is Underground Undercover, have you completed that?

No. In trying to figure out where I am and where I might be stuck, I've found this page, and I'm not sure how things are connected. I've done Tradecraft, but Tinker Tom doesn't offer me Underground Undercover. Preston doesn't offer any dialogue either post-Institutionalized.

Is it possible that Railroad HQ Lady not letting me turn in an non-essential quest is the issue?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how to edit saved game files or know of a mod that will do it? I think I stuffed up the quests in a area*hint*vault 81 and i want to start the place over again

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Michymech posted:

Does anyone know how to edit saved game files or know of a mod that will do it? I think I stuffed up the quests in a area*hint*vault 81 and i want to start the place over again

Are you still doing the quest?

if so type

sqt

into console and get the quest id then type

resetquest (that id)

It should work because these commands havent changed since oblivion.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Michymech posted:

That's like the opposite problem I have, where my save folder is just overflowing and I think it's actually affecting game performance.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

randombattle posted:

Are you still doing the quest?

if so type

sqt

into console and get the quest id then type

resetquest (that id)

It should work because these commands havent changed since oblivion.

I did try reseting them using that command but the quests stay in my completed list

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I just found an item in ArcJet labeled detective case file. I assume its important but it doesn't look to be a key item because I can drop it. What is it for?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

How do you deploy a power armour frame that you bought from a vendor?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hexenritter posted:

How do you deploy a power armour frame that you bought from a vendor?

There should be a nearby power armor rack wherever there's a frame vendor.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Time for some Spot the Actor :v:

Ian McShane (plays Al Swearengen in Deadwood) and also the contact in one of the early Railroad missions.

Benito Martinez (plays David Acaveda in The Shield). Moonlights as Dr. Sun in DC.

Chuck Norris, playing Blake Abernathy

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Michymech posted:

I did try reseting them using that command but the quests stay in my completed list

If it's already fully completed I dunno if there is a way to restart the quest completely.

You could try

setstage (id) 1 and see if that reboots it.

Are you trying to undo mole rat disease on yourself?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where are all these mods in my inventory coming from? I usually have a ton when I dump my stuff and I only remember noticing I was picking a mod up 4 or 5 times in the game. And on that note, if you have a mod can you just skip using crafting parts to put in on a gun? How does that work? I haven't seen an option for it.

Also, I'm really confused about the "endless random quests" people keep talking about. There are the minuteman ones, but they almost all seem to be "go talk to settlement, they complain about another settlement, you go and kill the baddies in settlement 2, unlock 2 settlements. What happens when you run out of settlements to unlock? it has to end eventually right?

I'm not even sure what the brotherhood ones are. I see the "support the recon team" one which I assume is releated but it doesn't give me any objectives.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does anything come of the fake Preston Garvey random event you can encounter on the road? Or is it just a one-off crazy-rear end thing that can happen? I pointed out to the guy that his outfit wasn't very convincing and he said "oh poo poo!" and ran off.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What are yall's tactics for building poo poo at Hangman's Alley? It's super cramped so I try to build up, but on the third floor of my poo poo I hit the height limit so if I so much as stand on a bed I get the warning that I'll get kicked out of the builder thing, and the only lights it'll let me build there are floor lamps which are pretty worthless. Plus there's that metal roof at the outer edge of the corner which fucks up my poo poo getting in the way. Managed to get an L-shaped thing going on with proper stairs to get around but it took some serious squeezing to jam the fucker together. Doesn't help that it's in the middle of town so even though it hasn't had an official "attack" yet, I have to drop my building stuff and shoot at whatever happens by cause I don't have enough copper to set up power lines for a turret that's worth a drat.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I came across Strong finally at level 33 and, since I wasn't sure where Strong and Rex were headed and I wanted to get Strong before I lost 'em, I told Robot Detective to go home to Sanctuary. I'm apparently not the only person to have this problem, but I can't locate him now, and I'm on a PS4 so I can't mod him back into existence (and don't want to do a load because I've been playing hours since his disappearance). So that's what he meant about missing persons...

Wouldn't be that big a deal aside from the whole "had him carrying around like 100 pounds of bone matter" thing so I could make cutting fluid.

Don't put your bone in Robot Detective.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lima posted:

Time for some Spot the Actor :v:

Ian McShane (plays Al Swearengen in Deadwood) and also the contact in one of the early Railroad missions.

Those wasteland cocksuckers.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Uh oh. Somehow the color from my game has gone, black and white like a scout scope. It seems all my saved games- even ones with color in them, go to black and white.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
If you fast travel in power armor, does it take fuel? I feel like I could be wasting entire fusion cores just trying to take my power armor to the destination I want to use it at, unless I am missing something about power armor.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

If you fast travel in power armor, does it take fuel? I feel like I could be wasting entire fusion cores just trying to take my power armor to the destination I want to use it at, unless I am missing something about power armor.

Nope, fast traveling in power armor is free.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A protip I just noticed: if you're having trouble getting a bead on something with iron sights, switch to third person. They forgot to make the third person zoomed-aim have any kind of aim sway, so you'll always be perfectly accurate to the crosshair. The recoil is also totally faked when you're in third person, the reticle doesn't actually move, only the camera. If you stand still and shoot at something, the cursor actually returns to exactly where it was when the recoil settles. No need for aiming compensation or anything.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I came across Strong finally at level 33 and, since I wasn't sure where Strong and Rex were headed and I wanted to get Strong before I lost 'em, I told Robot Detective to go home to Sanctuary. I'm apparently not the only person to have this problem, but I can't locate him now, and I'm on a PS4 so I can't mod him back into existence (and don't want to do a load because I've been playing hours since his disappearance). So that's what he meant about missing persons...

Wouldn't be that big a deal aside from the whole "had him carrying around like 100 pounds of bone matter" thing so I could make cutting fluid.

Don't put your bone in Robot Detective.

NPCs tend to wander, making large settlements a bit of a bad place to put companions. Just look around more. Make sure you didn't miss any of the dog houses. Ideally you only have one and he'll be in/near it, but if there is more than one at the same settlement who knows which dog house he'll decide to camp out at.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Goddamn, Piper :stare:
(Fort Hagen Spoilers)
Piper just did a judo throw on an invisible Kellog and then just rifle butted him until he unstealthed. Are you sure you're just a journalist?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Where are all these mods in my inventory coming from? I usually have a ton when I dump my stuff and I only remember noticing I was picking a mod up 4 or 5 times in the game. And on that note, if you have a mod can you just skip using crafting parts to put in on a gun? How does that work? I haven't seen an option for it.

Also, I'm really confused about the "endless random quests" people keep talking about. There are the minuteman ones, but they almost all seem to be "go talk to settlement, they complain about another settlement, you go and kill the baddies in settlement 2, unlock 2 settlements. What happens when you run out of settlements to unlock? it has to end eventually right?

I'm not even sure what the brotherhood ones are. I see the "support the recon team" one which I assume is releated but it doesn't give me any objectives.

Whenever you make a new mod, the old one gets placed in your inventory. If you want to change back, or put the old one on a new gun, just build it like normal but it won't cost any materials.

This lets you, for example, pick up/buy weapons with good mods, replace those mods with the cheapest version which stores the good ones (and probably for free because you probably have basica mods sitting around), then put the good mods on your (possibly legendary) gun even if you don't have the perks to build those mods yourself.

It's a very obtuse system but it actually lets you do what you should be able to do, switch mods around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kiggles posted:

NPCs tend to wander, making large settlements a bit of a bad place to put companions. Just look around more. Make sure you didn't miss any of the dog houses. Ideally you only have one and he'll be in/near it, but if there is more than one at the same settlement who knows which dog house he'll decide to camp out at.

Why would Nick be in a doghouse?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would Nick be in a doghouse?

new mod idea

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So what are the cutoff points for the three factions quests where you can no longer take quests from the others?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
GOTY 20XX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008