Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
All the grass starters are pretty cool and good, and all of them except Grovyle and Bayleef have bad middle stages. Meganium more than makes up for Bayleef not being bad by being The Worst so there's that.

All the fire starters are also cool and good. Like, Tepig's the worst, but even then he's not actually that bad. His evolutions are garbage and should have been Dark-types though.

The water starters have the greatest variance, where you have fuckin' S-tier first stages, almost universally garbage middle stages (Dewott and Frogadier being exceptions), then S-tier final stages, especially my main man Empoleon Bonaparte.

Look at this guy and how many fucks he gives about plowing through arctic ice with some dipshit kid on his back - it's below zero, just like the temperatures he endures on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

who the heck doesn't like wartortle

this dang thread is makin me swear and I don't like it

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ruggington posted:

who the heck doesn't like wartortle

this dang thread is makin me swear and I don't like it

Why is Wartortle fluffy when Blastoise is cannon-y?

What I'm saying is, Wartortle makes no sense.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

marshtomp is cute and ivysaur is a bigger version of The Greatest Pokemon of All Time Bulbasaur

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

didn't you go through a phase in your teenage years

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah, because Wartortle is better.

All the Gen 1 starters' middle stages are better than their final stages.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all stages of all starters are good except turtwig's evo and oshawott's final

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oddium posted:

all stages of all starters are good except turtwig's evo and oshawott's final

as I drag myself through a desert of bad opinions I drink deep from this oasis

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

although I don't really care for prinplup

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's so rare to see someone with the opinion that all Pokemon are cool and good. But hey, guess that's what I'm here for.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Since I couldn't start as Skitty, I took what the quiz gave me: Torchic. Then it tried to pair me up with Pikachu, which was obviously wrong, so I picked the correct choice: Chespin. Team Baby Bird and Hyper Chestnut.

Also PMD is finally hard?!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

It's so rare to see someone with the opinion that all Pokemon are cool and good. But hey, guess that's what I'm here for.

you're one of the good ones

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Breeding question time again. What's a better nature for a mandibuzz bold or impish? Mind you I'm putting foul play on her so I'm asking which will make that proper powerful. Also still holding onto the shinys from before. Rose spirit is ready to go but I'm not sure I got the friend code from the other guy.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

impish in case you want to run knock off

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

All the Gen 1 starters' middle stages are better than their final stages.

I can get behind this

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ruggington posted:

impish in case you want to run knock off

Hm, thank you kindly!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Can't believe it's been almost twenty years and they haven't made a starter as cool as Charizard.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Can't believe it's been almost twenty years and they haven't made a starter as cool as Charizard.

yeah it's pretty cool that they've made like 9 final evos better than charizard

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ruggington posted:

yeah it's pretty cool that they've made like 9 final evos better than charizard

Two of them in the same game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moltrey posted:

:whitewater:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pfft, Blastoise could beat that chump easy. All Charizard had were Fire moves, since Flying was poo poo. And he was even weak to Ice, so he stood no chance.

The anime has clouded your judgement, neither Pikachu nor Charizard can get that good of a track record.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Holy poo poo, those Tirtouga that know Rollout in the School Forest are borderline unfair.

Just lost all my Reviver Seeds to one.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Moltrey posted:

Well they didn't have to after Blastoise

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

How Ingratiating! posted:

Since I couldn't start as Skitty, I took what the quiz gave me: Torchic. Then it tried to pair me up with Pikachu, which was obviously wrong, so I picked the correct choice: Chespin. Team Baby Bird and Hyper Chestnut.

Also PMD is finally hard?!

I had a mission pop up where an Axew wanted me to take him to beat up a Salamence.

I got loving wrecked. Like, not even a little bit. I got straight up slaughtered. I did recruit an Azumarill so maybe I'll bring her along and more of those status-inflicting wands...

Can't wait to wave those wands around when I'm a Braixen and I can finally do it properly!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Holy poo poo, those Tirtouga that know Rollout in the School Forest are borderline unfair.

Just lost all my Reviver Seeds to one.

This game doesn't gently caress around.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I am very saddened to see such scorn for Charizard in this thread. There are other great starters, but Charizard is a tried and true hero.

Also this PMD chat of it being great and actually being difficult is super exciting. My only strategy for past PMD games was to get like two pages of Reviver Seeds and just brute force everything.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Chikorita/Meganium is my deal cause it heals pretty well, isn't good at competitive, and can get fun terrain moves like Grassy Terrain/Nature Power.

I just want to turn every match into a forest because that owns.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver Falcon posted:

I had a mission pop up where an Axew wanted me to take him to beat up a Salamence.

I got loving wrecked. Like, not even a little bit. I got straight up slaughtered. I did recruit an Azumarill so maybe I'll bring her along and more of those status-inflicting wands...

Can't wait to wave those wands around when I'm a Braixen and I can finally do it properly!

Salamence's attacks are all only 1-range, so spamming something like Vulpix's Roar is the only way you can avoid getting oneshotted without debuffs. Link it at the end of an Alliance, and boom, you can get attacks in for free.

Just bring ample sources of special moves, since Intimidate's a bitch.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Alliance also ignores move match ups, so it's ok to use Fire, Water, or Grass if you don't have a Fairy or Ice move.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also lost Axew before the fight, so my strategy might not work with a 4 party team, haha.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got a request that tricked me into a monster house, what the gently caress!!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Moltrey posted:

They did make one that's cooler, and its name is Torterra.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I blew three totter orbs and most of my psybeams keeping that jerk confused while my bro Riolu and Azumarill took potshots with their ranged moves, eventually he took everybody but me out and I had to run away from the bad man until the burn I put on him grinded him down.

He joins you after the mission. He's level 50.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Guys was I supposed to recruit the Salamence early :stare:

I had a bunch of blast seeds and put him back to sleep repeatedly until he died and now he's like 30 levels higher than everyone else

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd argue against Bulbasaur being the best, but I'm not sure I can put together a convincing counter-argument.

I mean, he is number one.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I'd argue against Bulbasaur being the best, but I'm not sure I can put together a convincing counter-argument.

know what else is number one?

piss

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cleretic posted:

sound point

it's added to the board

I'll update the OP with it shortly

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Help, I got Tepig as my partner and I can't think of a name for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Help, I got Tepig as my partner and I can't think of a name for them.

tonkotsu

• Locked thread