Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

Well Molly is in both seasons so there's at least the one character in common. S2 is basically Molly Solverson: Origin Story.

And also Lou, who was played by Keith Carradine in S1 (and Patrick Wilson in S2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping that each season is the previous generation's Big Thing That Happened, and that we get back at least to the paleolithic era.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

-Blackadder- posted:

Hey, richardfun, I still remember when we turned you onto it in the original Spartacus thread. Good times!

Much gratitude.

Also, Jupiter's cock.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

richardfun posted:

Much gratitude.

Also, Jupiter's cock.

I feel like "Jupiter's cock" was used more in Rome than Spartacus but I could be remembering wrong.

"Remove cock from rear end!"

I kinda liked that they went for an old-fashioned talking style lacking pronouns, but then they'd suddenly use a bunch of pronouns and it'd just feel inconsistent. But I guess the writers were concerned about people understanding who they were talking about (but then just go ahead and use them all the time?) Its a nitpick though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I haven't seen Rome but I can't imagine any show uses the phrase "jupiter's cock" more than Spartacus.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

True, Rome has no equivalent of Batiatus.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel like "Jupiter's cock" was used more in Rome than Spartacus but I could be remembering wrong.

"Remove cock from rear end!"

I kinda liked that they went for an old-fashioned talking style lacking pronouns, but then they'd suddenly use a bunch of pronouns and it'd just feel inconsistent. But I guess the writers were concerned about people understanding who they were talking about (but then just go ahead and use them all the time?) Its a nitpick though.

I noticed that they didn't use "my" or "your" but they used "his" or "her" pretty often.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I noticed that they didn't use "my" or "your" but they used "his" or "her" pretty often.

They also don't ever use the word 'money' in the entire series, it's always 'coin'. No one wants to get rich, coin is just a thing you use to get more status. This may be by financing a military campaign or buying a gladiator the Legate will endorse but the pursuit of wealth for its own sake is completely absent in any of the characters. Maybe this is historically accurate or it's bullshit but it makes for interesting characters. Spartacus and Batiatus were very similar, and Batiatus and Lucretia's desire to rise above the position a lanista had in society was the main engine of everything that happened. Maybe Spartacus even had it easier, there was a legitimate way for a gladiator to become a free man but no way for a lanista to achieve more then being close to people in real power.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Smashing my way through season 2 of BRAQUO.
I like it more than season one to be honest and this may sound daft but it's so French.
E.g The nasty IA guy has a tiny earring, the ruff and ready thug is wearing an expensive leather coat.
Everyone looks tidy and dirty at the same time.

A lot of fun however and fairly daft.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I like it more than season one to be honest and this may sound daft but it's so French.
E.g The nasty IA guy has a tiny earring, the ruff and ready thug is wearing an expensive leather coat.

Season 3 ramps up the craziness but it isn't on Netflix yet. Tidy and Dirty is a fantastic way to describe the cast

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Jessica Jones is way better than I expected. I haven't read the comics and the advertisements kinda hinted she was a super but didn't say much about her powers so I assume she'd either have weak powers or hide them all the time or something. But nope, right away in episode 1 she's already using her super-strength. That has me way more interested. Then the show itself is actually pretty mature and dark, which is refreshing, and then the characters start getting pretty interesting.

Way more sex scenes than I expected, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Finished burning through Moonbeam City and it definitely got better as it went, the dialogue improved and there were a whole bunch of legitimately laugh out loud moments.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Was this show trumpeted (either in the forums or elsewhere) as a French version of the Shield?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Ratatozsk posted:

Was this show trumpeted (either in the forums or elsewhere) as a French version of the Shield?

I kind of is. In some respects these cops are even worse bastards than Vic.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vodos posted:

I kind of is. In some respects these cops are even worse bastards than Vic.

Yeah it's a similar idea - lovely cops must up their shittiness to escape consequences of their actions. The Shield does it with more gently caress yeah in your face action but there is still a LOT of gunplay in Braquo. I put it off for a long time because it is in French but now I am curious how many other super high quality crime serials I am missing out on because the native language isn't English. Great characters, fantastic production value, you just can't leave it on in the background because of the subs. You basically need to be 100% invested in it since the story is a bit complex.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 23, 2015

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Hmmm. Which service (and country) is this currently streaming on?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^ I watched it on UK Netflix.

It's similar to the Shield but their no where near as straight up bad as the guys in the Shield.
In fact Roxanne is pretty much a good guy who keeps getting dragged into the shady poo poo and Theo is close to Shane but he's more a loving idiot than anything else. The only one who could be called bad is Eddy but he's no where near being a oval office like Vic was.

I'm currently watching Jessica Jones, it's ok not as good as Daredevil.
It's fun seeing Dr Who being a creepy psycho at the very least.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ratatozsk posted:

Hmmm. Which service (and country) is this currently streaming on?
Hulu US has the first two seasons.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Marathoned through Jessica Jones and then Agent Carter, to cheer myself up. Both have great characters, but both have some small pacing issues. Mainly, Jessica Jones needs one or two fewer episodes to just tighten the season's arc up while Agent Carter needed more episodes to build the mystery. They're excellent shows, vastly different in tone, and I enjoyed them thoroughly.

Decided to finally start Star Trek: Deep Space 9 as well. So far I'm really enjoying Sisko. He's much more cynical than previous captains and he's got this bubbling anger as a key part of his character. But he's also got this goofy smile and sense of mirth about him, trying to enjoy himself where he can. There's something about it I just like. The character dynamics are neat so far too and I'm eager to see where they go. The political world of Star Trek sounds super interesting so I hope it takes some risks with the concept. I know the shows lose some quality after TNG, but I'm gonna stay optimistic for now.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I'm through 3 episodes of The Man in The High Castle and so far it is very good. Definitely recommend it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nerdman42 posted:

Marathoned through Jessica Jones and then Agent Carter, to cheer myself up. Both have great characters, but both have some small pacing issues. Mainly, Jessica Jones needs one or two fewer episodes to just tighten the season's arc up while Agent Carter needed more episodes to build the mystery. They're excellent shows, vastly different in tone, and I enjoyed them thoroughly.

Decided to finally start Star Trek: Deep Space 9 as well. So far I'm really enjoying Sisko. He's much more cynical than previous captains and he's got this bubbling anger as a key part of his character. But he's also got this goofy smile and sense of mirth about him, trying to enjoy himself where he can. There's something about it I just like. The character dynamics are neat so far too and I'm eager to see where they go. The political world of Star Trek sounds super interesting so I hope it takes some risks with the concept. I know the shows lose some quality after TNG, but I'm gonna stay optimistic for now.

The Sisko actor trained extensively in Shakespeare and he wants everyone to know about it in every drat episode.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Babby Sisko's pyjamas were the best :allears:

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Scrapez posted:

I'm through 3 episodes of The Man in The High Castle and so far it is very good. Definitely recommend it.

I just finished binging this and yeah, it's good. Not without it's problems, but it is extremely bingeable. Would recommend to anyone who watches stuff like Manhattan or The Americans. Aside from the alternative future/past, it's really just a basic spy show in the style of all modern drama, which makes it pretty enjoyable without being too taxing.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

prinneh posted:

I just finished binging this and yeah, it's good. Not without it's problems, but it is extremely bingeable. Would recommend to anyone who watches stuff like Manhattan or The Americans. Aside from the alternative future/past, it's really just a basic spy show in the style of all modern drama, which makes it pretty enjoyable without being too taxing.

Agreed. I finished season 1 today. Good show, not amazing but solid.

Acting and storyline are good. Some of the sets are really great. Visually, it is very good.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Mu Zeta posted:

Fargo S2 doesn't really feel like an homage to the Fargo movie whatsoever like how season 1 was.
Yes, because that was fine and interesting in the first one but would get boring as poo poo if they kept doing it.

Also between the Man Who Wasn't There aliens, last episode's LOOK IN YOUR HEART scene and all the little soundtrack touches this season's knee-deep in Coen Bros references.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I appreciated the Big Lebowski callback in the latest one.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I need more Great British Bake Show in my life. There's only one season on Netflix, though. :(

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Braquo is absolutely gripping.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

nerdman42 posted:

DS9 is demonstrably better than TNG. :colbert:

And I am speaking as someone who has rewatched TNG a dozen times over the last 20 years and marathoned DS9 for the first time about 3 months ago.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Just finished binging Narcos and I quite liked it. It felt pretty true to how the actual story goes, though it will make the next season kind of sad for me as I read the story of Pablo Escobar and I know how it ends. That being said, really engaging.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Scrapez posted:

Some of the dialogue is a bit ham-fisted and some of the characters are pretty cliche "The sheriff", the wannabe Japanese guy, etc.

but overall very enjoyable.

One thing that kept bothering me was that they'd say like "100,000 yen!" Like it was a ton of money, but that's not much. But then again this is sat in what, the 50s? 60s? So I guess back then that'd still be a pretty good amount of money, but still not like a ton.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Just finished binging Narcos and I quite liked it. It felt pretty true to how the actual story goes, though it will make the next season kind of sad for me as I read the story of Pablo Escobar and I know how it ends. That being said, really engaging.

Great show for sure. Probably my favorite new show all year.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Some of the dialogue is a bit ham-fisted and some of the characters are pretty cliche "The sheriff", the wannabe Japanese guy, etc.

but overall very enjoyable.

One thing that kept bothering me was that they'd say like "100,000 yen!" Like it was a ton of money, but that's not much. But then again this is sat in what, the 50s? 60s? So I guess back then that'd still be a pretty good amount of money, but still not like a ton.

Great show for sure. Probably my favorite new show all year.

I'd imagine their currency is quite strong considering the vastness of their empire.

Loved the show. Especially the end. Saw it coming but still enjoyed it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've been watching some Supermansion over on Crackle.

Why, yes, I am a masochist.

I think Supermansion really captures a lot of what I dislike about these shows and makes me wonder if attempts at superhero comedy seem to fail because they seem like they should be so easy to pull off. Just play against the stereotype and make superheroes petty and amoral and hypocrites, that should be funny.

The problem is that I feel the running gimmick of "Superheroes are actually pretty amoral characters" starts to fall apart when it seems like that's all it is. There's no sense of actual stakes or sincerity that makes the idea of poking fun at superheroes have any impact.

What's sort of strange is that recall sort of liking Titan Maximum over on Adult Swim, which similarly lampooned the giant robot genre.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 28, 2015

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Burned through season 1 of Killjoys on the DVR. Decent scifi show, but it felt like they shoved 4 seasons worth of story arc into 1. I would have been happy with half a dozen motw episodes sprinkled in.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
So I finished watching Mr. Robot. The subject matter is cool. The gooniness should have been relatable. The actors are pretty good.

Sadly though it was a slog to watch. Firstly, there are few likable, interesting characters. The main problem though was that the storytelling relies on lovely and lazy tropes which ultimately led nowhere. I'm actually surprised how little I liked it. Had they played it straight, with characters that weren't so freaking irritating and not talking writing class bullshit, it could've really been something. I was halfway yelling at the screen in the later episodes, "STOP SPEAKING IN BULLSHIT RIDDLES, NO ACTUAL PERSON TALKS LIKE THAT".

pigdog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 2, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I've been rewatching Fringe for the first time, first time I saw it as it aired.

A few thoughts. The first season is much stronger than I remembered. Walter alone makes almost every episode worth watching. I know I should have remembered, given my avatar, but I didn't.

Also, the first season episodes were 50 minutes. Is the show so old that there weren't 18 minutes of commercials back then?

I'm getting to the end of season 2 now and find myself watching this instead of shows that are airing now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

richardfun posted:

I've been rewatching Fringe for the first time, first time I saw it as it aired.

A few thoughts. The first season is much stronger than I remembered. Walter alone makes almost every episode worth watching. I know I should have remembered, given my avatar, but I didn't.

Also, the first season episodes were 50 minutes. Is the show so old that there weren't 18 minutes of commercials back then?

I'm getting to the end of season 2 now and find myself watching this instead of shows that are airing now.

The first season of Fringe was pretty much just a modern X-Files and I kinda wish I'd stayed that way.

They build up a kinda cool long-running plot but then the whole thing just kinda collapses under the weight of its own narrative in later seasons.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

richardfun posted:

I have been rewatching it too, and I think that since I know that the things in the first season that did not seem to be important end up being helps. It makes it feel more like part of the show then just things that they ignored.
Fox was doing a thing were they tried to run less commercials so people would not flip. I think Dollhouse was also part of this promotion.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mu Zeta posted:

The Sisko actor trained extensively in Shakespeare and he wants everyone to know about it in every drat episode.

All actors portraying starship commanders should have extensive Shakespearean backgrounds.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

All actors portraying starship commanders should have extensive Shakespearean backgrounds.

Except Shatner. A Shakespearean Kirk just wouldn't have that stilted acting charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Except Shatner. A Shakespearean Kirk just wouldn't have that stilted acting charm.

To be. Or not. Not. Not to be. That..... IS the question!