Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you're installing clean Win7 on HP 650 or 640 G1 laptop and you're seeing the "failed to connect to event notification service" error on login, it's apparently a known issue resolved with drivers:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04382989&sp4ts.oid=5405392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Aaaand I'm off of the org chart. But they accidentally left on one of the people they axed last week. :thumbsup:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dick Trauma posted:

Aaaand I'm off of the org chart. But they accidentally left on one of the people they axed last week. :thumbsup:

Did you receive your paycheck?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

:ohdear:

mewse
May 2, 2006

We always like to avoid confrontation, whenever possible. Problem is solved from your end.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dick Trauma posted:

How does this even happen

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Remember that at the last place I was copied in on a couple of the emails between the CEO, HR and my bosses talking about the thin ice I was on.

That one where the CEO said he wasn't sure I was the right guy for the job after I'd been there four loving years still makes me fume.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Someone shoot me, I just turned down an interview for a job that would pay twice what I'm making now because it would mean either an hour+ commute in stop and go traffic or living in Denver.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Generally speaking - Rackspace, yay or nay? I remember a lot of talk about it here and there.

Looking at "Data Operations Tech." I remember hearing that they use that same title for A) People who literally rack things and that's all they do, and B) More involved junior server admin type stuff... does that sound at all correct? The way this position is described it could go both ways

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You could call them, express interest, and find that out right then or in the first 5 minutes of a phone interview. Just a somewhat snarky thought...

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

Maybe you could call them, express interest, and find that out right then or in the first 5 minutes of a phone interview. Just a somewhat snarky thought...

Having a good Friday? I stumbled across a job posting and remember people talking about this company in particular a lot. And there's not exactly a readily-accessible phone number to chat with the supervisor for the posting - they're a gigantic corporation, you know how these things go.

I apologize that my question bothered you? :shrug:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Let me put it a different way

Never not apply, the worst that happens is they say no or you find you don't want it after all.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

Let me put it a different way

Never not apply, the worst that happens is they say no or you find you don't want it after all.

Fair enough, that's perfectly good advice. I really do remember people talking about working at Rackspace in particular though, maybe even this position title, so hopefully some of them see this and chime in. Polishing my resume this weekend in either case.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Someone shoot me, I just turned down an interview for a job that would pay twice what I'm making now because it would mean either an hour+ commute in stop and go traffic or living in Denver.

Sometimes it's not worth it. Makes you feel good though doesn't it?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Generally speaking - Rackspace, yay or nay? I remember a lot of talk about it here and there.

Looking at "Data Operations Tech." I remember hearing that they use that same title for A) People who literally rack things and that's all they do, and B) More involved junior server admin type stuff... does that sound at all correct? The way this position is described it could go both ways

I know/knew a few people that work there in San Antonio. Everyone loves it, but you better be a good culture fit. The Racker culture thing is legit and you better like the kool aid.

I don't want to work there for various reasons, but haven't heard many bad things. The most consistent negative thing I've heard is they don't like to pay market rate for experienced external hires going into senior technical positions.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Denver traffic is intolerable. Somehow it would take my coworkers who lived in Westminster/Thornton/etc basically the same amount of time to get downtown as it would me coming from Fort Collins. That last 10 miles takes longer than the previous 40. Screw that noise!

That said you probably should still have taken the interview for practice. And who knows, maybe you'd have been able to talk your way into working remote 2 days a week?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Internet Explorer posted:

It's not a confrontational process. As other people have said either take the 2 hours to fill out the spreadsheet or tell them you are busy and to check back in in 3 months. It's not a full blown Microsoft audit. They won't even scan your network.

In a SAM engagement, they don't scan your network. They tell you to do it for them using the Assessment & Planning Toolkit.

They're not pointing a gun at you, but it's no breeze, either. Lots of arguments/counter-arguments fly about in a SAM engagement. I've done three so far. Hated each one of them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That would have been roughly 500 hours of commuting time a year, or almost 3 full weeks of sitting in your car. I honestly don't know how people can do that sort of thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Denver traffic is intolerable. Somehow it would take my coworkers who lived in Westminster/Thornton/etc basically the same amount of time to get downtown as it would me coming from Fort Collins. That last 10 miles takes longer than the previous 40. Screw that noise!

That said you probably should still have taken the interview for practice. And who knows, maybe you'd have been able to talk your way into working remote 2 days a week?

Yeah, you're right. I could still use the interview practice. I'm putting all of my spare energy into building a programming portfolio right now, though. I've also got a few places lined up for interviewing in Fort Collins. There is also a job in Aspen I want to apply for, but I can't find anywhere in that are that allows pets for <2000/mo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Take the job in Denver and move downtown, problem solved.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I hate Denver. The job is even downtown, but I never want to live in that big of a city.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I took a job in the Chicago Loop despite living in the north 'burbs. This means about 75 minutes door to door with the drive to the train station, ride, and walk to the office. While this was less than optimal than the 20 minute commute I had before, it is a way better job.

I don't love the commute, but a of people do longer and worse ones, so I've been dealing with it. Having quiet time to unwind is very nice though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Buy a dirtbike, commute offroad. :black101:

Bonus, you'll have a dirtbike.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hate Denver. The job is even downtown, but I never want to live in that big of a city.

Where do you live now? Coming from L.A. Denver felt like a very small pond.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fort Collins. ~125k people compared to 2.7m for the Denver Metro area. And even this town is getting overcrowded with rich people and assholes lately. We'd like to move up to the Roaring Fork area if we could. But with how slim the rental offerings are up there, it will likely have to wait until we can afford to buy a house.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Fort Collins. ~125k people compared to 2.7m for the Denver Metro area. And even this town is getting overcrowded with rich people and assholes lately. We'd like to move up to the Roaring Fork area if we could. But with how slim the rental offerings are up there, it will likely have to wait until we can afford to buy a house.

If you're worried about rich assholes it seems like Aspen is the last place you would be looking for a job.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'd rather live in Carbondale or Glenwood. But aside from a small AECOM office, there doesn't seem to be anything in Glenwood itself. Everyone in Glenwood I met is really nice, it probably comes from being able to go relax in the hot springs whenever you have a bad day.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I'd rather live in Carbondale or Glenwood. But aside from a small AECOM office, there doesn't seem to be anything in Glenwood itself. Everyone in Glenwood I met is really nice, it probably comes from being able to go relax in the hot springs whenever you have a bad day.

See if Rise Broadband or whatever the hell they are called these days is hiring. They are all over the mountains in CO. They were my first sysadmin gig in the state at that lovely industrial park at the Johnstown I25 exit :3:

They at least used to have offices in both Glenwood and Montrose.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I got up at 4am this morning I decided to come back in the evening and do Phase 1 of my recabling, all the workstations and phones on the primary rack. I didn't do any serious cable management, just worked in a methodical fashion and bundled everything with velcro. It took a while due to finding a few mysteries to solve but overall went okay. My eyes are just about crossing so I'm going home. Phase 2 will be the server and network equipment cabling which is just as old and messy as what I cleaned up tonight. Since I notified the staff that I'd be doing this this weekend I also emailed them to let them know I was done and included this photo. Maybe a few of them will appreciate the improvement.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Both of these pictures are why I am not allowed to do cable management.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus that's an old firewall

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's retired, thanks to me. The office manager's solution? He bought a second unit on eBay of the same model, just as old, and had the MSP program it and stash it in a closet for a rainy day.

Only reason I didn't unrack it last night is Bill got angry about me cleaning up the server room and took the tools home. But I have my own.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 23, 2018

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dick Trauma posted:

Remember that at the last place I was copied in on a couple of the emails between the CEO, HR and my bosses talking about the thin ice I was on.

That one where the CEO said he wasn't sure I was the right guy for the job after I'd been there four loving years still makes me fume.

In a previous industry, I had the same first name as the company president. You can imagine what kind of emails I was accidentally copied on.

The worst was for a salary increase for another employee who's job was below mine, but her new salary was higher than mine. Glad that company folded.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

See if Rise Broadband or whatever the hell they are called these days is hiring. They are all over the mountains in CO. They were my first sysadmin gig in the state at that lovely industrial park at the Johnstown I25 exit :3:

They at least used to have offices in both Glenwood and Montrose.

I'll see, thanks. I saw some field tech openings for them on LinkedIn, but I'm not going back to that dead end.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Chickenwalker posted:

What a petty bunch of manchildren in this business.

We didn't even have any tools when I started, and my boss at the time didn't want me to buy any. He got real mad about it. He's not my boss anymore!

On the other hand, I have more tools than I could ever use. Drills with auger bits and doorknob-hole-makers, a jigsaw, monkeywrench. Everything except a hammer, which I ended up buying because I actually can use a hammer.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Anyone work or have worked IT in a bank? I'm looking at a possible security analyst position. Wonder if it'd be chill.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sounds the opposite of chill.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Dreyvas posted:

Anyone work or have worked IT in a bank? I'm looking at a possible security analyst position. Wonder if it'd be chill.

If it's a small/area credit union, they'll likely trust/support you doing good things but without the budget to make it happen, and also people will be clueless about what seem like the most basic tenets of IT. If it's big/national, be prepared for a million teacup dictators and the joy of trying to "secure" 15-20 year old custom software. That's been roughly my experience with the financial firms I've consulted for.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

keseph posted:

If it's a small/area credit union, they'll likely trust/support you doing good things but without the budget to make it happen, and also people will be clueless about what seem like the most basic tenets of IT. If it's big/national, be prepared for a million teacup dictators and the joy of trying to "secure" 15-20 year old custom software. That's been roughly my experience with the financial firms I've consulted for.

Gotcha, thanks for the insight. It's kind of in the middle, actually. Branches in a handful of states.

Glassdoor/Indeed reviews for their IT department are actually quite good for whatever that's worth, but I'm going to ask plenty of questions during my interview.

I especially want to get a feel for their culture and employee morale. It's my first interview in a while, so I don't feel a particular need to jump into anything too quickly.

Dreyvas fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I did infosec at a small-ish community bank for a couple of years. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty stressful at times. Annual audits / examinations are the norm. Because it was a small institution, I did a lot of other things like web banking admin, ACH tier 3 support, fraud analytics, debit card admin, etc. I was in charge of a team of 3 over Fraud, Security, and Web operations.

I honestly wouldn't describe it as chill, though. Challenging and rewarding, sure, but not laid back in the least. Money makes the world go round and, depending on your job duties, you may be responsible for a lot of people's money.