Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

rotinaj posted:

I don't know what your problem is with the Hulk's color pattern, but I'm going to have to ask you politely, but firmly, to leave.

:colbert:

The problem was he was supposed to be gray but printing technology at the time was unable to reproduce a consistent color so Stan Lee just said "gently caress it, make him green".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

You can see it fairly commonly, but the primary thing is that it's only kind of half true.

A lot of it simply comes down to colour harmonies and the fact that if you have a Red/Blue/Yellow coloured hero and you want your villains to stand out on the page and not blur together during action then you want to use a differing colour harmony, which generally will be Orange/Green/Purple. As to why you'd start with primary colours on your heroes - they're strong and vibrant, while green or purple might bring to mind putrescence.

Old school Spider-Man has a lot of green enemies - Green Goblin is probably the best example with his purple cloak and orange pumpkin bombs but also Vulture/Sandman/Electro/Doctor Octopus. Fantastic Four were just blue because they already had orange on their team and red/yellow would not have matched - but they still fought green/purple enemies (Mole Man/Annihilus/Skrulls/Impossible Man) though not as predominantly as predominant as Spider-Man. X-Men on the other hand did not use red - they were blue/yellow and did not fight very many green/purple enemies: their villains were mostly reddish (Juggernaut/Toad/Scarlet Witch/Mastermind/Omega Red), Purplish (Sentinels/Apocalypse), or both (Mr Sinister/Magneto).

There is a cute little digression about this in Matt Fraction's FF. One child was explaining the whole, good guys are blue and red and bad guys are green and purple, to another child while using classic Marvel heroes and villains to make his point. This is all accompanied by gorgeous Allred artwork, I wish I could find it and post it here but :effort:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Wasn't Dragon Man sitting in on that conversation as well? (A big purple ex-villian.)

FF was so good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

There's also a dude litterly called Purple Man created sometime in the 60s?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Norns posted:

There's also a dude litterly called Purple Man created sometime in the 60s?

Coming to a Netflix station near you really soon!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Reset Smith posted:

There is a cute little digression about this in Matt Fraction's FF. One child was explaining the whole, good guys are blue and red and bad guys are green and purple, to another child while using classic Marvel heroes and villains to make his point. This is all accompanied by gorgeous Allred artwork, I wish I could find it and post it here but :effort:

I totally forgot about that bit, it's great.

Dragon Man isn't in that scene but it does then cut to him and She-Hulk helping out with other things, which is a fun counterpoint.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure that bit was just an excuse to get Mike Allred to draw a bunch of classic Marvel character.

And that's totally okay.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I like that Kang is just chilling on his invisible energy bean bag chair with his techno vape.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Chance II posted:

I like that Kang is just chilling on his invisible energy bean bag chair with his techno vape.

On that note, I adore Kang's classic Kirby design. Big roomy poncho, flying chaise-lounge, the puffiest sleeves on earth-- and then extraordinarily uncomfortable-looking glamour boots and that bizarre head/chest-piece that makes it look like he can't nod or turn his head. It's such an off-putting and discordant look that really jibes with the oddness of his core concept-- yeah, he's here to conquer, and he's history's mightiest warrior or whatever, but having him constantly jaunt back to the 20th century gives him this incredible sense of being some sort of leisure-loving evil time-tourist. He has such a lush, decadent look compared to other big Kirby bad-guys (although Darkseid's mod miniskirt and go-go boots get close). And his first appearance nails this-- he's so casual in his initial fight with the Avengers, and his explicit motivation is ennui. Unfortunately, three months later he's fuming and obsessing and building Spider-Man robots, so the tonal inconsistency is sort of built in from the start.

I love him. I'm always astonished that nobody has pushed that kind of camp/glam angle with him a la Gillen's Mr. Sinister.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 4, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Martian Manhunter's new look in this week's issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm I thought Deodato was drawing for Marvel right now.

Who is that though, Allison Borges?

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 19, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That looks really goofy and bad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My true form is Piccolo with inconsistent cheekbones.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
It wont last. MM is one of those chracters whose only going to appeal to long time readers (who id say prefer the beetle brow look).

Shoulda just kept him in the Post Infinite Crisis costume as the Young Justice cartoon so wisely did.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Knives Amilli posted:

It wont last. MM is one of those chracters whose only going to appeal to long time readers (who id say prefer the beetle brow look).

Shoulda just kept him in the Post Infinite Crisis costume as the Young Justice cartoon so wisely did.

His Superhero form hasn't even been in the series for most of this run. His Martian look 'till now has been a deformed elephant man with a paper bag over his head.
It's a really interesting comic.

e: Martian Manhunter is also an old man in a domino mask with a blanket for a cape in this thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 19, 2015

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Extremis Armor is personally my favorite of all time. Its the best designed armor as far as conveying ARMOR with modern streamlining. It was such a well designed armor that it was the most Iconic Iron Man armor before the movie design took off (ive always felt that the movie armor took cues from Extremis since Adi Granov helped design both)..As far as comic armors, id place it as #3 behind model 4 and the Modular Armor as definitive Iron Man Armors.

Second favorite armor? War Machine armor. Inspired by such a simple concept ("iron man with a shitton of mounted guns") it remains to me one of the more enduring designs in all of comics because of its simple practicality. While the design has changed from the original iteration, most of the changes have been mostly cosmetic at best. The central design of "typical iron man suit, gray with two shoulder mounted guns" has mostly been the common denominator.

Genis-Vell. Never had a bad costume. His OG Captain Marvel duds have always been my favorite for taking the classic costume (one of the best Super Hero costumes ever imo) and throwing a starfield on it to really emphasize the Cosmic aspect.

Speaking of Marvells kids, Phyla Vells Quasar costume was so underrated. I remember reading Alex Ross's notes for Earth X and he made a comment saying that his Earth X Cosmic Marvel characters would have a almost royal design. That always stuck with me and the "space joan of arc" thing she had going on really sold a "royal warrior" look.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Knives Amilli posted:

Genis-Vell. Never had a bad costume. His OG Captain Marvel duds have always been my favorite for taking the classic costume (one of the best Super Hero costumes ever imo) and throwing a starfield on it to really emphasize the Cosmic aspect.

What about his Legacy costume?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

What about his Legacy costume?

we dont talk about that time :colbert:

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Speaking of iron man armors, does anyone else find the film suits somehow really feminine looking (in a way that is probably not intentional)?

I don't know if it's the wide hip area (which, yes, might be necessary in real metal armor, human bodies move in all kinds of odd ways!), the weak chest, or the very narrow looking arms, but the whole thing just looks less than traditionally "strong" or masculine in terms of silhouette or proportion. There's no intimidation factor to me.

I could be totally off the mark though.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Toadstrieb posted:

Speaking of iron man armors, does anyone else find the film suits somehow really feminine looking (in a way that is probably not intentional)?

I don't know if it's the wide hip area (which, yes, might be necessary in real metal armor, human bodies move in all kinds of odd ways!), the weak chest, or the very narrow looking arms, but the whole thing just looks less than traditionally "strong" or masculine in terms of silhouette or proportion. There's no intimidation factor to me.

Not so much feminine but I do agree about the lack of intimidation. It has a lot more of a rounded feel (which as you stated Is probably to accommodate for an actual human).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Toadstrieb posted:

Naw, I'm getting that vibe off that pic, too. I'm getting it from the leg length. From both my poorly remembered art classes and anecdata, women have a much longer leg to torso ratio than guys. Eg., I have to put our car's driver seat back two notches after my bf's driven it because my legs are much longer, even though we're both 5'8". That suit seems really high-waist-ed, which gives it a womanly figure.

And yeah, those arms look skinny under the shoulder armor, giving him a poofy princess look.

Edit: and upon further consideration, the coloring isn't helping. Going from the bottom up, the red boots to gold accents to silver thighs really kinda make me think of my old clubbing wardrobe of wearing knee high boots and thigh high stockings with some itty-bitty booty shorts/skirt. So yeah, now I can't unsee 90's Goth Girl Iron Man.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 20, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Knives Amilli posted:

Extremis Armor is personally my favorite of all time. Its the best designed armor as far as conveying ARMOR with modern streamlining. It was such a well designed armor that it was the most Iconic Iron Man armor before the movie design took off (ive always felt that the movie armor took cues from Extremis since Adi Granov helped design both)..As far as comic armors, id place it as #3 behind model 4 and the Modular Armor as definitive Iron Man Armors.

Second favorite armor? War Machine armor. Inspired by such a simple concept ("iron man with a shitton of mounted guns") it remains to me one of the more enduring designs in all of comics because of its simple practicality. While the design has changed from the original iteration, most of the changes have been mostly cosmetic at best. The central design of "typical iron man suit, gray with two shoulder mounted guns" has mostly been the common denominator.

:v:

(i don't know if that's from an actual thing or what)

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Naw, I'm getting that vibe off that pic, too. I'm getting it from the leg length. From both my poorly remembered art classes and anecdata, women have a much longer leg to torso ratio than guys. Eg., I have to put our car's driver seat back two notches after my bf's driven it because my legs are much longer, even though we're both 5'8". That suit seems really high-waist-ed, which gives it a womanly figure.

And yeah, those arms look skinny under the shoulder armor, giving him a poofy princess look.

Edit: and upon further consideration, the coloring isn't helping. Going from the bottom up, the red boots to gold accents to silver thighs really kinda make me think of my old clubbing wardrobe of wearing knee high boots and thigh high stockings with some itty-bitty booty shorts/skirt. So yeah, now I can't unsee 90's Goth Girl Iron Man.

All of this, yes. I think Robert downy Jr. has a bit of an hourglass figure, too (may just be skinny-fat) and he does atleast from time to time have to fit into these suits for the films. Maybe that's an odd thing to notice, but as a somewhat high wasted man myself I'm like Jesus dude if you can hide that poo poo with your billion dollar walking tank uniform, do it, lol.

Edit: This got me thinking that all of the movie costumes, atleast for the avengers films, kind of suck. Thor's in particular really gets to me:

What a hot mess of lines and panels. The torso section is dark and narrow, with that odd metal(?) V that really doesn't look like it'd be much use as armor, and then we have a 3 part loin cloth hanging out down there. The floating, off the shoulders cape looks pretty absurd, too--Hemsworth is a big guy, but it shrinks him. Also, bare hands, why? If Cap's duds can be Ultimates-influenced, why not Thor's? Always thought that costume was crazy clean looking and perfect for a modern take on the character.

:smith:

Ah well.

Toadstrieb fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 20, 2015

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Toadstrieb posted:

All of this, yes. I think Robert downy Jr. has a bit of an hourglass figure, too (may just be skinny-fat) and he does atleast from time to time have to fit into these suits for the films. Maybe that's an odd thing to notice, but as a somewhat high wasted man myself I'm like Jesus dude if you can hide that poo poo with your billion dollar walking tank uniform, do it, lol.

Edit: This got me thinking that all of the movie costumes, atleast for the avengers films, kind of suck. Thor's in particular really gets to me:

What a hot mess of lines and panels. The torso section is dark and narrow, with that odd metal(?) V that really doesn't look like it'd be much use as armor, and then we have a 3 part loin cloth hanging out down there. The floating, off the shoulders cape looks pretty absurd, too--Hemsworth is a big guy, but it shrinks him. Also, bare hands, why? If Cap's duds can be Ultimates-influenced, why not Thor's? Always thought that costume was crazy clean looking and perfect for a modern take on the character.

Ah well.

It looks like a straight translation of a Kirby design into live action to me.

Now granted, it's not one of the relatively more grounded designs he did for the early Silver Age Marvel heroes, but the really ornate poo poo he was churning out for Eternals and parts of the Fourth World. That costume looks like a pretty good attempt at putting the latter aesthetic on screen. I guess that since the MCU portrayal of the Aesir builds heavily on the whole Clarkean Space Gods concept, they'd give them an aesthetic on the more extreme end of the Kirby spectrum than what they have in the comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, and the arm plating is straight out of Coipel's art on the JMS run.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was always really impressed with Thor's duds in the MCU :shrug:

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a lot I actually like about this, but this is so very much one of those designs that is going to look awful under certain artists. The face shape is ultimately what's going to do it, it's too Cumberbatch. Granted it's supposed to look alien, but under other artists he's going to look like a chipmunk. Hell he looks halfway to a chipmunk already.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Toadstrieb posted:

Ah well.

Pretty sure you're alone on this one. That costume owns.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Teenage Fansub posted:

His head is shaped like a goomba.
http://i.imgur.com/Ihgude9.png

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's.. uh.... yeah ok Goomba let's go with that. "Mushroom" was also acceptable.... yeah...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
His head is shaped like a dick

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nooooo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Calaveron posted:

His head is shaped like a dick

The way the neck is drawn doesn't help.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Kirby owns but his designs don't translate to live action very well. The first Thor movie had everyone dressed in loving plastic.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I agree that the costume makes Hemsworth look a lot smaller than he actually is.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The best looking movie Thor costumes were the ones without the arm armor

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dacap posted:

The best looking movie Thor costumes were the ones without the arm armor

I like his old man costume with the destroyer arm.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Happy Hippo posted:

Kirby owns but his designs don't translate to live action very well. The first Thor movie had everyone dressed in loving plastic.

This is my problem with the Thor movie suits, the designs are great but the execution feels very cheap. It doesn't really feel like otherworldly, cosmic god/alien armor as everything is very obviously molded rubber. They can obviously manage to make Iron Man look like actual metal so I dont know why they go with this look.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

Well....

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

These own. Kirby owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:swoon:

• Locked thread