Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Serious People are always scared about 'realism,' seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tiberius Christ posted:

The gently caress? is it made by the elves from LOTR

I'm exaggerating a little but if you are one the size of a normal piece of cake you'd be shot for the day.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wonder if the huge uptick in the social acceptance of Islamophobia means that, doubtless temporarily of course, Atheists are no longer the most despised religious affiliation in the US? Has this ever been the case in the history of it being polled?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tiberius Christ posted:

The gently caress? is it made by the elves from LOTR

It's a gazillion layers of pastry dough filled with butter, nuts, and soaked in sweet syrup. It's like the unhealthiest thing you can possibly eat.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

We just should remember that, when — where we grew up is — when we were in our grade school that’s when the world was right and we tend to want to recreate that idyllic scene in our adulthood thinking that’s the best thing for America. And in my case, it is. I grew up with "Fun with Dick and Jane." Wonderful. But you know, while I was going on, he was going to a school in Indonesia, so his idea of America is entirely different than the idea that most Americans have of what we ought to be like, and he’s filling our country up with people that will continue to attack us.”

Steve King (R-Cantaloupes)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So good news for people on Medicaid in Iowa! It is being privatized. It rolls out January 1st even though EVERYONE in the state seems to range from mildly annoyed to foaming at the mouth angry about this.

Govener Branstad assures us it is going as planned.

quote:

Gov. Terry Branstad, who is pushing to shift management of the state’s Medicaid program to private companies on Jan. 1, said Thursday that the firms have signed more than 12,000 contracts with pharmacies, doctors and other health care providers.

Doesn't sound so bad! Let's take a look at those numbers.

quote:

But most Iowa hospitals and physicians have not signed contracts to participate in the new system, according to the Department of Human Services. The issue is important, because the managed-care companies are supposed to show they have broad networks of health care providers willing to care for the new plans' members.

Branstad, a Republican who is seeking federal approval of the shift, touted the managed-care companies’ progress in signing up health care providers. He said 99 percent of pharmacies that serve the current Medicaid program are signed up with at least one managed-care company, and hundreds of long-term care services are on board.

“We are proud of our progress and we will keep working to serve Medicaid patients,” he wrote in a press release Thursday.

DHS released to The Des Moines Register on Thursday numbers showing that few hospitals have signed such contracts, however. None of the four managed-care companies reported signing more than 17 of the 118 Iowa hospitals now participating in Medicaid. One of the companies, WellCare of Iowa, said it hadn’t signed up any hospitals. Another, AmeriHealth, said it had signed up just two.

The managed-care companies reported signing contracts with from 200 to 1,116 physicians out of 6,685 who now provide care to Iowa Medicaid patients.

Leaders of several large hospital systems, including UnityPoint Health, Mercy-Des Moines, and University of Iowa Hospitals, have told the Register this week that they haven’t signed contracts with the managed-care companies.

The 12,000 figure cited by Branstad is the total number of contracts signed, not the number of health care providers who have agreed to participate. Each provider can sign up to four contracts.

Branstad contends the shift to managed-care companies will save millions of dollars for the state and federal governments while offering flexibility and coordinated care to Medicaid recipients.

Critics fear the change to for-profit management will lead to service cuts. They say Iowa’s 560,000 Medicaid recipients are being put in the impossible position of choosing a managed-care plan next month without knowing whether their doctors, hospitals and other health care providers will be participating in any of the networks.

Critics have asked federal administrators to at least delay the shift to private management. The Iowa Hospital Association has taken the matter to court, and Democratic legislators went to Washington, D.C., this week to plead their case with Obama administration officials.

Sen. Joe Bolkcom, an Iowa City Democrat serving on a committee monitoring the shift, said Thursday that the 12,000 figure touted by Branstad is unimpressive. He said that in a recent meeting, the managed-care companies said they each needed to sign up about 35,000 health care providers.

“It’s unbelievable that Gov. Branstad and Lt. Governor Reynolds would claim that it’s good news for Iowans that fewer than one-third of Iowa’s Medicaid providers have signed up for their proposed Medicaid privatization program,” Bolkcom wrote in a news release. “It is actually bad news because the effect of such low participation by health care providers would be to prevent hundreds of thousands of Iowans from accessing affordable, quality health care.”

According to the latest DHS figures, each managed-care company has signed up from 7 percent to 37 percent of the health care providers currently serving Iowa Medicaid recipients.

Well I'm sure it will turn out in the end. I mean it isn't like Branstad did anything else this year. I mean he didn't destroy the "iowa niceness" and pride in working together that our legislative process had and caused future gridlock by vetoing a hard fought compromise on education funding between the two parties in Iowa. Or have a corrupt hiring of a university president. Or support the use of eminent domain to build the Bakken pipeline. Which would run underneath Iowa farmland.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 21, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's a gazillion layers of pastry dough filled with butter, nuts, and soaked in sweet syrup. It's like the unhealthiest thing you can possibly eat.

Nuts are good for you

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You couldn't be any more wrong about this. t don't how you got "Germans could have paid up but were politically unable to do so" from "defaulting on payments". They were required to give exports as part of reparations and their factories simply couldn't keep up. The second they did default, Allied powers marched in and started seizing national assets. A lot of countries at the time were feeling a financial crunch and were attempting to offload their burdens on Germany. There as passive resistance in the end, but only after the Allies got heavy handed. Remember, the Weimar government accepted the Dawes plan condition of foreign supervision of the Reichsbank.

Germany could easily have kept up on reparations but were politically unable to do so. The Ruhr crisis was, as I said, largely because keeping up with reparations was politically untenable, for the reasons I suggested. I'm aware of the Ruhr crisis, but it does not explain much of anything about World War II - the factors that lead to Hitler's rise to power, the continuing illegitimacy of the Wiemar government, and the complete unwillingness to accept the post-WWI settlement had little if anything to do with reparations. The "stab-in-the-back" myth was why Germany never accepted the verdict of the war, why the democratic government which arose in the mutinies that ended the war was never legitimate, and why they refused to accept their territorial losses after WWI and meekly accepted the end of the unified German state for half a century after WWII. They also meekly accepted the Russians basically looting everything that could be moved to Russia until they decided that it was better to build up East Germany since it was essentially their front line. Hell, german POWs held by Russia were essentially slave labor for half a decade with some being held more than a decade after the end of WWII.

"Oh, it was reparations" has never been true. They weren't exactly the greatest foreign policy move ever, but that they led to WWII has been completely debunked. Reparations were a symbol, not a cause: they were one of the things that Germans could focus on as a tangible "we lost" part of the Treaty, but their real beef was that they were treated as losers when the german public sincerely believed that they'd graciously agreed to an honorable peace between equals.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

So good news for people on Medicaid in Iowa! It is being privatized. It rolls out January 1st

Good. Unshackle the medicaid market

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mr Hootington posted:

So good news for people on Medicaid in Iowa! It is being privatized. It rolls out January 1st even though EVERYONE in the state seems to range from mildly annoyed to foaming at the mouth angry about this.

Well I'm sure it will turn out in the end. I mean it isn't like Branstad did anything else this year. I mean he didn't destroy the "iowa niceness" and pride in working together that our legislative process had and caused future gridlock by vetoing a hard fought compromise on education funding between the two parties in Iowa. Or have a corrupt hiring of a university president. Or support the use of eminent domain to build the Bakken pipeline. Which would run underneath Iowa farmland.

Finally they can keep government off our Medicaid

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

MonsieurLongDong posted:

No. I suspect for some of this we cribbed from the same handbook published by a pro bono organization that does CLE classes. The middle paragraphs should be the same.

If you're talking about a fellow attorney that's in the Ohio area, then I know who you're talking about. The community is small.

Some of the stories here are different and I've added some other stuff for clarification. Some of these processes are absent in the U-Visa/T-Visa process because those are functional refugees that are already located in the states for some reason. I edited to clarify some of those differences.

I've edited the initial post above to give credit to the primary source at the BAULA service who produced the CLE packet.

You guys seemed to crib from this source in an almost identical manner

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The article states that he is still seeking that federal approval for the shift. Is there a chance it will be blocked, or is it purely a procedural thing that gets auto-approved once things are in order?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm glad I'm moving back home to try to work in politics, because I can't wait to, in my smallest way, be responsible for removing Terry Branstad from office. That guy has really taken this term to just alienate everyone in the state who isn't his buddy.

My aunt who lives in Western Iowa is getting a new job, and (semi-jokingly) offered me room and board to help run the little shop she owns in her town, and literally the only reason I even considered it is because it would put me in Steve King's district so I could spend all my free time following him around and yelling at him.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

I'd feel worse for them, but these are these are the people that they voted for, so...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The private insurance operators are probably just trying to run up their kill count because they think a patch is coming soon

Did he run promising to do all these things? If so, lol at anybody who voted for them

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Joementum posted:

The RNC is now selling "I Miss W" hats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkFOyeXviaM

but but there is still jeb

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Logikv9 posted:

The article states that he is still seeking that federal approval for the shift. Is there a chance it will be blocked, or is it purely a procedural thing that gets auto-approved once things are in order?

I could not find for the life of me what exactly happens to it, but from what I gather it goes to The Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services or something for review and must be approved by some top guy there. It seems like an all but sure thing from my understanding and Iowa state senators went and recently that if they approve it that 11 changes be made. Couldn't find what those were exactly, but one was a gradual move to privatization instead of straight up on January 1st.

Yoshifan823 posted:

My aunt who lives in Western Iowa is getting a new job, and (semi-jokingly) offered me room and board to help run the little shop she owns in her town, and literally the only reason I even considered it is because it would put me in Steve King's district so I could spend all my free time following him around and yelling at him.
Hey Steve King buddy. :unsmigghh:

Oh crud I also forgot to mention Branstad closed 2 of our 4 mental hospitals.. He is also open to reviewing the other two facilities.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 21, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm literally going back to bed for an hour so that this image doesn't mark the start of my day. Thnx facebook

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

Uh, Krugman is deeply concerned with inequality and thinks reducing inequality is more important than growth.

http://nytimes.com/2013/12/16/opinion/krugman-why-inequality-matters.html

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Divide-Unequal-Societies/dp/0393248577

That's the topic of this and I think it's a pretty good book so far. I saw a WSJ review of it and it tried to blame the housing crisis on the CRA and also relied on simplifications of the points of the book to make him sound silly aka it was a terrible review.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

Germany could easily have kept up on reparations but were politically unable to do so. The Ruhr crisis was, as I said, largely because keeping up with reparations was politically untenable, for the reasons I suggested. I'm aware of the Ruhr crisis, but it does not explain much of anything about World War II - the factors that lead to Hitler's rise to power, the continuing illegitimacy of the Wiemar government, and the complete unwillingness to accept the post-WWI settlement had little if anything to do with reparations. The "stab-in-the-back" myth was why Germany never accepted the verdict of the war, why the democratic government which arose in the mutinies that ended the war was never legitimate, and why they refused to accept their territorial losses after WWI and meekly accepted the end of the unified German state for half a century after WWII. They also meekly accepted the Russians basically looting everything that could be moved to Russia until they decided that it was better to build up East Germany since it was essentially their front line. Hell, german POWs held by Russia were essentially slave labor for half a decade with some being held more than a decade after the end of WWII.

"Oh, it was reparations" has never been true. They weren't exactly the greatest foreign policy move ever, but that they led to WWII has been completely debunked. Reparations were a symbol, not a cause: they were one of the things that Germans could focus on as a tangible "we lost" part of the Treaty, but their real beef was that they were treated as losers when the german public sincerely believed that they'd graciously agreed to an honorable peace between equals.

This is literally the only timecI have ever heard this, so you might want to cite this if it's been, "completely debunked"

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's a gazillion layers of pastry dough filled with butter, nuts, and soaked in sweet syrup. It's like the unhealthiest most delicious thing you can possibly eat.

FTFY

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Boon posted:

This is literally the only timecI have ever heard this, so you might want to cite this if it's been, "completely debunked"

He's right. Current historiography* of WWII has done away with the idea that reparations/Versailles were root causes, though they did serve as a post-hoc symbol the Nazis could point to during their rise to power as an example of why Germany needed to rearm and whatnot. Doris Bergan's War and Genocide has a pretty solid refutation of the older reparations argument, and Wolfgang Schivelbusch's The Culture of Defeat goes into even greater depth since he's more concerned with defeated nations than doing a broader history of WWII like Bergan, to name two books off the top of my head.

*Ignoring, as always, the opinions of fringe cranks, holdouts, and neo-Nazis.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

ah, so is this the reason general patton (?) said "the germans never knew they'd been defeated; we're gonna have to do it all over again"?

That, and he was a war-glorifying lunatic who didn't want the fun to end.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 21, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

evilweasel posted:

ah, so is this the reason general patton (?) said "the germans never knew they'd been defeated; we're gonna have to do it all over again"?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Epic High Five posted:

I'm literally going back to bed for an hour so that this image doesn't mark the start of my day. Thnx facebook

Ah, yes, the American Civil War: a conflict in which President Lincoln oversaw the daily expansion of mass graves and concentration camps within eyesight of the White House and when roaming religious death squads pressganged and murdered everyone in sight.

A truly manly war.

[e]: The joker behind this image must be so ignorant of history, they only saw the words 'civil war' then the synapses in their brain stopped firing.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 21, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Ah, yes, the American Civil War: a conflict in which President Lincoln oversaw the daily expansion of mass graves and concentration camps within eyesight of the White House and when roaming religious death squads pressganged and murdered everyone in sight.

A truly manly war.

There are definitely people who would think those are things that happened. My relatives were talking about how the North in the Civil War were worse than the British in the Revolutionary war.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

A truly manly war.

[e]: The joker behind this image must be so ignorant of history, they only saw the words 'civil war' then the synapses in their brain stopped firing.

It's really generous to assume this pre-Cambrian nematode has synapses.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
There were plenty of refugees during the American Civil War. They didn't flee to another continent though for hopefully obvious reasons.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

baw posted:

They didn't flee to another continent though for hopefully obvious reasons.

Grasping The Obvious™ is scarce in the world of the modern american conservative.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
The Obvious™ has been replaced by Common Sense™, which i think means making a snap judgement of a complex situation based on your preconceived biases and then never questioning it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Epic High Five posted:

Instead it marks the start of my day.

I hate the person who made this :mad:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Instead it marks the start of my day.

I hate the person who made this :mad:

Me too, what an rear end in a top hat.

"...in contrast to those Manly Americans, fighting for the right to enslave an entire race of human beings in the name of unfathomable capitalist zeal."

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
It's nice because that image requires you to be an idiot who doesn't know anything about history, about what's happening in Syria, and to be a massive rear end in a top hat all at the same time. While like all wars our civil war did have atrocities it was one of the more genteel ones in our history as long as you weren't, you know, a slave. I'm guessing that last part isn't on Confederate Flag Guy's priority list, though.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Bullfrog posted:

White supremacists from /pol/ apparently showed up at the Black Lives Matter protests in Minneapolis last night, armed, and are planning to do so again tonight: https://www.facebook.com/BlackLivesMatterMinneapolis/videos/1010885932288533/

http://pastebin.com/FkA1B2rq

I laughed out loud for the first thirty seconds and then turned it off, because it must be parody. Right?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Epic High Five posted:

lmao Because there totally wasn't a whole issue with people buying their way out of the draft or hiring substitutes.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

That's pretty much scholarly consensus. If you want a good overview on the time between the world wars, I can recommend Sally Marks' The Illusion of Peace, she talks about the economic consequences of the Versailles Treaty at length. As it turns out, most of the reparations conditions that were demanded of Germany were never fulfilled, which was tacitly ignored by the allied powers, mostly due to the diplomatic genius of Stresemann.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

botany posted:

As it turns out, most of the reparations conditions that were demanded of Germany were never fulfilled, which was tacitly ignored by the allied powers, mostly due to the diplomatic genius of Stresemann.

Not to quibble, Germany made its last WWI reparations payment in 2010! A minor point but I still find it entertaining that re-unified Germany finally got around to balancing the books on that one.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao Because there totally wasn't a whole issue with people buying their way out of the draft or hiring substitutes.

Or, you know, slave owners being automatically exempt from conscription in the South.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Are you trying to make a joke? Or is this one of those things where you read the headline and forgot to read the rest of the article afterward?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Seeing this on FB is an invitation to post that chart showing that most the refugees are women and children. The men ARE fighting.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

botany posted:

That's pretty much scholarly consensus. If you want a good overview on the time between the world wars, I can recommend Sally Marks' The Illusion of Peace, she talks about the economic consequences of the Versailles Treaty at length. As it turns out, most of the reparations conditions that were demanded of Germany were never fulfilled, which was tacitly ignored by the allied powers, mostly due to the diplomatic genius of Stresemann.

Huh, really? I thought the steep payments on reparations and loans were what forced Weimar Germany into hyperinflation due to printing so much currency for those and other things like wages and interwar veteran pensions.

If not that, then what caused hyperinflation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Huh, really? I thought the steep payments on reparations and loans were what forced Weimar Germany into hyperinflation due to printing so much currency for those and other things like wages and interwar veteran pensions.

If not that, then what caused hyperinflation?

It did, but the hyperinflation crisis was over by 1924 and wasn't a huge contributory factor to WWII (other than by convincing a certain fellow that the time was right to overthrow Weimar democracy which, uhh, didn't go over all that well in practice). The real economic factor leading to the rise of Nazism and WWII was the Great Depression, not hyperinflation.

• Locked thread