Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

In other news, I got a white silicon case for my 6s+ and I'm really enjoying it.

High five white silicone case buddy :):hf::)

shootforit posted:

Which case did you get? Does the silicon have friction on your fingers?

It does! It has a little bit of tooth, but not in a sticky gummy way like all the other rubber/silicone cases. Friction really is the best word to describe it. Kind of like a smooth friction. I can hold a 6s+ in one hand and not worry about it slipping out.

e: suede! Of all things, the case feels a little bit like suede.

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Thinking of getting the Apple silicon case but I'm stuck between the orange and midnight blue one.

They both look pretty, but I don't want to buy two cases rn.

Actually I also like the leather case so I don't even know. Whatever.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 16, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The silicone case is Mega Bloks and the leather is Lego

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I really liked the look and feel of the brown leather case, but I found the button covers much harder to press, so I went with the silicone. For all I know they'd eventually work in, but I ain't got time for that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I went for the leather in Midnight Blue because I like Lego.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Croc Monster posted:

High five white silicone case buddy :):hf::)

It does! It has a little bit of tooth, but not in a sticky gummy way like all the other rubber/silicone cases. Friction really is the best word to describe it. Kind of like a smooth friction. I can hold a 6s+ in one hand and not worry about it slipping out.

e: suede! Of all things, the case feels a little bit like suede.

It's interesting skin is different for everyone. I have very dry hands and those silicone iPhone cases slide out of my hands unless I death grip it.

Croc Monster posted:

I really liked the look and feel of the brown leather case, but I found the button covers much harder to press, so I went with the silicone. For all I know they'd eventually work in, but I ain't got time for that.

They do. You gotta put in some time though...

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Croc Monster posted:

I find the power button much harder to press on my leather case than I feel like it should be. I figure it'll wear in sooner or later and be fine.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had to retire my Apple Leather case due to an unfortunate situation involving a cat who likes to pee on my things and the couch cushion I usually put my phone on (in a related note, does anyone know how to remove cat pee smell from leather?)

In its place I currently have a semi-rigid plastic case I got at a $5 store. It's absolutely ridiculous looking (the corners bulge out and have little holes in them, purportedly to act as shock absorbers if I drop the phone on its corner) but the sides around the screen are actually shorter than the ones on Apple's official cases which it makes it much easier to do side gestures, and the sides have a slight curvature to them that helps me grip the phone.

In short, I actually kinda prefer my fugly plastic $5 case over my $45 official Apple Leather case. Go figure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lelandjs posted:

I had to retire my Apple Leather case due to an unfortunate situation involving a cat who likes to pee on my things and the couch cushion I usually put my phone on (in a related note, does anyone know how to remove cat pee smell from leather?)

In its place I currently have a semi-rigid plastic case I got at a $5 store. It's absolutely ridiculous looking (the corners bulge out and have little holes in them, purportedly to act as shock absorbers if I drop the phone on its corner) but the sides around the screen are actually shorter than the ones on Apple's official cases which it makes it much easier to do side gestures, and the sides have a slight curvature to them that helps me grip the phone.

In short, I actually kinda prefer my fugly plastic $5 case over my $45 official Apple Leather case. Go figure.

This is a structural issue. Remove the cat.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just now figured out the brightness slider and auto-brightness in TYOOL 2015. My screen just seemed too dim even in a dark room, so I checked the slider, and it was all the way at the bottom. I figured this was normal since the room was dark, but it still seemed a little too washed out. I thought adjusting the brightness slider overrode the auto-brightness toggle, but... OK, maybe I don't have it figured out. I'm assuming that setting the slider to your desired brightness is like saying "OK, I want it this bright in these lighting conditions," and auto-brightness alters the brightness (not the slider) from there? I've been ignoring the slider because I thought auto-brightness took control of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's pretty much it. I still don't like it though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

I just now figured out the brightness slider and auto-brightness in TYOOL 2015. My screen just seemed too dim even in a dark room, so I checked the slider, and it was all the way at the bottom. I figured this was normal since the room was dark, but it still seemed a little too washed out. I thought adjusting the brightness slider overrode the auto-brightness toggle, but... OK, maybe I don't have it figured out. I'm assuming that setting the slider to your desired brightness is like saying "OK, I want it this bright in these lighting conditions," and auto-brightness alters the brightness (not the slider) from there? I've been ignoring the slider because I thought auto-brightness took control of it.

My understanding and experience is that it learns when auto brightness is on. Based on my adjustments, my phone doesn't dim as much when I'm driving at night and using it as a gps as when I'm reading in bed, for instance. This wasn't always the case so whatever mojo is happening seems to be working because I haven't had to touch the slider in months.

It does get confused sometimes like if there's a projector beam shining on it but the room is otherwise dark.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Are there any good resources for acquiring Live Wallpapers, or a tutorial on how to create Live Wallpapers without using the Camera?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

As far as I know, you can't. You get the dynamic wallpapers that haven't changed since iOS 7, or 6S/+ can set a live photo as wallpaper, but that's it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Been searching around on the web, seeing other people with this problem too. It seems like a unifying thing tying most of these cases together is that they have Time Warner.

I have time warner for my isp. Do you guys have time warner as well? Either way, it looks like something outside our hands.

Thank god it's not just me. And yes I have Time Warner. I've looked everywhere for a solution.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

enojy posted:

Turn auto brightness off then go to a dark room and set the brightness how you want it in that condition. Now turn auto brightness back on. You have set the minimum brightness now. When it gets brighter in the room the brightness slider will adjust. You can even watch it while it's adjusting. Bring your control center up from the bottom and turn the lights off, then turn them back on. You can watch the slider go towards the right side.

The way I did it was I went to a pitch black room, set the slider all the way to the left and then turned auto brightness on. Haven't touched the slider since.

Edit: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-calibrate-iphone-ipad-auto-brightness-sensor-in-ios-7/

bronin fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 17, 2015

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yep. But I think in theory you don't have to switch auto-brightness off and on. If it's already on, manually moving the slider to the bottom in a dark room should still calibrate it.

I still find that my phone stays brighter than I'd like it in low light, but this could just be my weird personal preference.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

fourwood posted:

Yep. But I think in theory you don't have to switch auto-brightness off and on. If it's already on, manually moving the slider to the bottom in a dark room should still calibrate it.

I still find that my phone stays brighter than I'd like it in low light, but this could just be my weird personal preference.

Yeah it should work like that. But if auto brightness is acting up, "resetting" might fix it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

lelandjs posted:

and some payment terminals like Walgreen's make you do the hold by terminal->scan print process twice for some reason (at least in my experience).

I had the same issue for a while, but a cashier pointed out that it will do this if the terminal isn't ready to accept payment. Wait for the blue light to come on for a few seconds before holding your phone up, and it will accept payment the first time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Thank god it's not just me. And yes I have Time Warner. I've looked everywhere for a solution.

Its a little ridiculous that this isn't fixed yet. What in the hell is the issue?

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

:allears:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The best 3D Touch feature is the trackpad when pushing on the stock keyboard.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

:laffo:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Holy loving poo poo. :captainpop::chanpop:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
I think they fixed that weird rear end App Store download poo poo. Glad that's done with.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Skeezy posted:

Yea its really good, tried swiftkey but removed it when i found out that THIS COOL THING doesn't work with it

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Skeezy posted:

yeah, this!! Requoting myself: I really gotta RTFM. Someone even posted the link elsewhere in the thread: http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I just replaced my mother in laws iphone 4 (lol) with a 6s plus. Did a restore from backup, but when I went to sync up her music, the old iphone 4 must have had a library synced with some ancient computer that no one knows anything about.

Choosing the "erase" option to sync with her current computer will just nuke music (which the device doesn't have) correct? Her photos, contacts, messages, apps, etc will all be untouched?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Every time I plug my phone in at work it asks me if I want to allow this computer to access the phone. Is there a way to make it remember "don't allow"?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every time I plug my phone in at work it asks me if I want to allow this computer to access the phone. Is there a way to make it remember "don't allow"?

Accidentally click allow once and it will never ask again. :v:

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Buy a "usb condom" and leave it at your desk.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Skeezy posted:

Yes! I found that and I thought I could hear the Hallelujah Chorus in the background.

Also, two weeks in, I absolutely love the hell out of the 6S+ from a 5S. The difference is night and day. Here's my typical approach to buying Apple hardware every year to two years:
  • Hey, that's cool!
  • Man, that's a lot of money though, I need to think about this. (1 week)
  • Touch-and-go at the apple store. (1 week)
  • OK, purchase it, ask about return policy, save paper receipt.
  • Argh gotta get it set up... (1 hour)
  • Argh there are some quirks... (2 hours)
  • These quirks are no problem (Couple days later)
  • I should have bought this month ago, this device is underpriced for how much it does and how often I use it

I'm trying out this app that lets me get geotag data for when I'm out taking photos, that'll save me $95 alone and it's more flexible than Nikon's solution.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

SLOSifl posted:

I can only get this to work occasionally. I feel like there has to be a weird trick to trigger it reliably.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
always works fine for me. Just press down hard-ish and wait for the keycaps to go blank. :shrug:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Three-Phase posted:

Also, two weeks in, I absolutely love the hell out of the 6S+ from a 5S. The difference is night and day. Here's my typical approach to buying Apple hardware every year to two years:

How do you fit the 6S+ gigantaphone into your pocket? I'm considering it but I'm still suspicious of its size.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

How do you fit the 6S+ gigantaphone into your pocket? I'm considering it but I'm still suspicious of its size.

I've had a 6+ for over a year and never had any pocket issues.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

MarcusSA posted:

I've had a 6+ for over a year and never had any pocket issues.
This definitely depends on what kind of pockets / trousers you wear. There's no way in hell a 6+ would fit in any of my jeans since losing weight.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
6/s+ is an abomination to god's true and only phone, the 6/s

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Using the 6s+ for a few weeks now, and the size is impossible. I wear cargo pants and army style jackets and it's a pain in the rear end even with those. I'm having to rethink my carry and use strategy. Having the watch helps A LOT because I don't have to pull the phone out for every little thing anymore.

I really want something halfway between the six and the plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don't wanna turn this into a pants discussion but I'm not a big guy and I can fit the plus into my skinny jeans if needed.

I'll never ditch the plus.