Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

what the gently caress posted:

Exposure 8 and 16 secs respectively

25ish secs development (which means technically underexposed, age of collodion is slowing it down and catching up to me)

and all manner of chemical fuckups as you can see. Think I've figured out most of what went wrong in both, just being my usual sloppy self is the reason for most of them ha.

Too liberal with albumen,, dirty pour bottles/contam'd collodion and scratched plates.

FIrst one I think dried out a little as I realised my camera was loose in the tripod so had to sit the wet plate on the ground while I hosed with my cam for a couple of minutes.

had a big, big clean out today of darkroom and all glassware/chems. Hopefully next time is more fruitful.

1 step forward, 2 steps back

Did you make it to the LF gathering, Sped?

I had no idea the LF gathering was on! I probably should get involved with those things more often, I did do a few of the group shows with the Melbourne Silvermine a few years ago, but it was more a social thing rather than trying to shoot better *art*.

Thats the thing I also found with wet plate, so many of the solutions precipitate and get lovely, then the glassware/bottles get poo poo all over them, all resulting in really dirty looking images. You've really got to keep on top of it, or have a big cleanup ever now and then like you just did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I got told months and months ago but assumed I would be at work so declined and forgot about it until I saw pics from it. Damnit would love to go, might lock in next year.

jerry spagnoli is putting on a daguerreotype workshop there next year, march i think? That'd be pretty interesting.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Another paper neg shot with the 8x10. The print is 16x20. I love shooting with paper so, so much.

S in Her Studio by Jason, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Another paper neg shot with the 8x10. The print is 16x20. I love shooting with paper so, so much.

S in Her Studio by Jason, on Flickr

Blown highlights. Automatic -100 art points. Learn to shoot, noob! :boom:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I thought poor printing was an art bonus! Did I miss the latest art memo...???

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

McMadCow posted:

I thought poor printing was an art bonus! Did I miss the latest art memo...???

Bonus is splattering some paint randomly on it!

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Despite numerous lab fuckups (might have to start mailing my film to Portlandia, or else suffocating on C41 fumes in my bathroom), still trucking along with my backlog.

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Shellman posted:

Despite numerous lab fuckups (might have to start mailing my film to Portlandia, or else suffocating on C41 fumes in my bathroom), still trucking along with my backlog.

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

I don't know if it's closer, but negative and print is really good and they are based in Detroit.

I've been very happy with the results from them.

http://www.negativeandprint.com/

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Fwiw, C-41 fumes aren't that bad :v:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I don't know if it's closer, but negative and print is really good and they are based in Detroit.

I've been very happy with the results from them.

http://www.negativeandprint.com/

I'm in Kansas City, so that's a bit closer. I'd been perfectly happy with my lab (Process One here in KC), but the last couple rolls have had numerous issues... got some negatives back that were creased...twice...and some others with little half-moon marks from someone's fingers. Latest roll was covered with finger prints and other dirt when I picked it up in the sleeves. Unacceptable in my eyes, but their response was "well it must have been creased in the roll, and you must have handled the negatives".

BANME.sh posted:

Fwiw, C-41 fumes aren't that bad :v:

Admittedly, I've done almost no research on developing C-41. Is it really fine to handle in an enclosed space? Maybe I'd only heard lies and half-truths. The biggest hurdle I'd face is probably hording my film to develop a bunch at once so that the chemicals stayed fresh.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I've only done the powder kits, and honestly the fumes are only the strongest when you first mix the blix powders. But you can do that in the kitchen with a window open if it really bothers you (its not that bad). And when you process the film in the blix, it produces a bit of gas too but its barely anything. I do everything in the kitchen, so if you're working in a tiny bathroom it might help turning the fan on.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
They don't do sheet film, but Dwayne's is in southeastern Kansas (Parsons) and is cheap and treated me well when I was living in the Midwest.

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Some Acros with the GW690ii

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a 4K monitor, and I have a message for all you who try to turn off downloads-at-original.

You are the same type of people who put big watermarks on your pictures. All you have to do to download your pictures is to right click, inspect element, and look at the src link.

Stop trying to prevent fetch from hapening. It's going to happen.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have a 4K monitor, and I have a message for all you who try to turn off downloads-at-original.

You are the same type of people who put big watermarks on your pictures. All you have to do to download your pictures is to right click, inspect element, and look at the src link.

:yeah:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Which photo were you tryin to cop

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sure, but doesn't hurt to make it harder. 99% of users don't know how to inspect elements.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

It is sad tho to see an awesome photo on flickr only to find out they uploaded a tiny version of it. I always wanna peep the details.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

lol no one cares

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Is there any way to tell someone's posted your photo on Flickr to tumblr? I don't know how computers work.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Is there any way to tell someone's posted your photo on Flickr to tumblr? I don't know how computers work.

Not really. What you can do is do a google images search with your photo, and see if it shows up anywhere else.
That's how I found out about one of my photos circling tumblr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Google image search will pretty much turn up all the copies on Tumblr, it's how I found all those wonderful fascists using my shots.

Tumblr is really good about taking down stolen stuff, and quick too.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paul MaudDib posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pubd-spHN-0&hd=1

The correct way to do it is to just upload only your web-sized jpegs to flickr.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

:captainpop:

https://www.facebook.com/Gibellinis-Folding-Cameras-1487803151433669/?fref=photo

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Expensive as hell. Be wary of expressing interest, he'll hassle you for weeks haha

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Expensive as hell. Be wary of expressing interest, he'll hassle you for weeks haha

Did that happen to you?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I just sent him a message asking for some info when I was looking for an 8x10, he was sending me emails and messages for about 3 weeks afterwards trying to make deals and discounts and little extra's he'd throw in if i bought now etc. A mate of mine who was looking to get into LF had the same experience with him, too. They do look amazing, though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I haven't had any dealings with those guys, they're just one of a bunch of little LF companies I follow on FB. I imagine they don't have a ton of sales so it's no real surprise they'd do anything they could to close a deal.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Pretty impressive considering he seems pretty young, too.

This article popped up on my fb a few days ago, some of you might like. There's some really really nice photos in there.

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2015/11/scenes-from-the-american-west-150-years-ago/416787/?utm_source=SFFB

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I always wonder why I don't shoot with this Voigtlander Bessa I more often, then I use it and realise why, such a pain in the arse

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Been really enjoying your melbscapes. Your flickr stream looks really really nice.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Merah by alkanphel, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Been really enjoying your melbscapes. Your flickr stream looks really really nice.

Glad you like'm, I do feel that I need some "other" photos of the area too, something more human, i.e. like actual houses or something.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Holy poo poo the Travelwide actually exists and functions. Mine showed up today.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
so this 120mm lens is pretty wide

one I did before was way cleaner but overexposed :( doesn't look it in the pic, but it's still wet... when it's dry it will be faded as hell and I don't think varnish will save it

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 28, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

A couple from the GW690ii with Acros/Rodinal from the weekend

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Those really have got that New West feel about them.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The great frontier

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Villa Borghese by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

alkanphel posted:

Those really have got that New West feel about them.

My thoughts exactly. Good stuff.

https://vimeo.com/38283497

• Locked thread