Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

evilmiera posted:

Who somehow didn't need to eat for 200 years.

I actually thought about this but stopped when I realized that radiation is literally magic in Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Another funny thing about the Vault-tec Rep: He somehow recognises the player character even through the faceplate of a hazmat suit. Presumably it works the same way with power armour.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Drunk in Space posted:

So on my second playthrough I decided to resolve the Valentine quest peacefully without killing Skinny Malone. Not too long after that I was wandering in the direction of Salem and randomly found his body in a chair with his gun beside him (he's not too far from that guy with a stall in the middle of nowhere).

What's that all about? He didn't have a suicide note or anything like that as far as I could see.

I finished the quest this way and later encountered him alive in the world at a cooking station, complaining about how he was going to make a comeback from this some day. Either yours got killed before you encountered him or there's multiple encounters.

Titus Vespasian posted:

Other than the fun of building itself, what are benefits of building settlements.

You can use settlement things like water purifiers to make tons of caps. Settlers will scavenge materials for you and crops can be used to to make things like adhesive. My Sanctuary is basically a water/adhesive/oil factory.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Kopijeger posted:

Another funny thing about the Vault-tec Rep: He somehow recognises the player character even through the faceplate of a hazmat suit. Presumably it works the same way with power armour.

Yes. He has one hell of a nose. Somewhere.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Randalor posted:

So Fallout 4's been out for almost 2 weeks now. My video card isn't quite up to handling the game according to the minimum specs (Radeon HD 7850 instead of an HD 7870)I know the PC version is the best due to mods, but I don't want to drop several hundred dollars on upgrading my computer until after tax time, , so is the PS4 version worth picking up? Or does it suffer game-breaking glitches from the engine like Bethesda's usual Sony ports?

I am using a 7850. Your'e fine. Don't bother with the PS4 version.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bohemian Nights posted:

You have sense of adventure or joy in your heart if you side against him and his proud vessel

Seriously. What sort of monster doesn't indulge those guys in their little fantasy and play along.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Why cant you modify helmets?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ToxicAcne posted:

Why cant you modify helmets?

More importantly, why doesn't the Combat Helmet have a functional headlamp like Mining Helmets?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Madison Li is horrible, why would anyone want to save her?

Just an example, every character is horrible except Insecure Travis

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Deified Data posted:

You don't think the Railroad's grey morality was intentional?

I'm not really sure it is. The only two events that stand out to me as being at all morally ambiguous are the bombing of the Prydwen and the bombing of the Institute itself, and the only reason either of them are so is because of the potential involvement of non-combatants. But in the case of the Prydwen, it's an attack against a military ship in response to a completely unprovoked assault on their own HQ, the kids in question are child soldiers, and ultimately it was the Brotherhood's decision to put kids on a legitimate military target--it's not like they bombed a school, which you'd expect to be filled with kids, they bombed a warship, which I don't think they can be faulted for given that they were not the ones who fired the first shots. And it then passes by with nary a comment on anyone's part, which is not what I'd expect if the player was meant to be troubled by the fact that some kids might have just died at their hands. In the case of the Institute, when you begin the attack Desdemona gives clear instructions to everyone involved in the attack that anyone not actively attacking the team or the synths is to be directed to the relay for evacuation, since the goal is to destroy the facility, not kill people.

I wish they'd made more of a go of it, making the group more ambiguous, but as it is they're more moral than any real-life underground resistance movement, even the ones in our own history we consider to be the good guys, and the bit at the end where Desdemona is giving orders to evacuate non-combatants from the institute seems specifically designed like they were taking steps to make the Railroad seem less grey, not like they were deliberately giving the railroad a darker side, after all that's the sort of thing most unambiguously heroic figures in fiction don't actually give a poo poo about when they're blowing up a villain's base.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Randalor posted:

So Fallout 4's been out for almost 2 weeks now. My video card isn't quite up to handling the game according to the minimum specs (Radeon HD 7850 instead of an HD 7870)I know the PC version is the best due to mods, but I don't want to drop several hundred dollars on upgrading my computer until after tax time, , so is the PS4 version worth picking up? Or does it suffer game-breaking glitches from the engine like Bethesda's usual Sony ports?

I've been playing the PS4 version a lot since release and it's been fine. No crashes at all and only one glitch that was fixed by quitting out and reloading. PC obviously will have the advantage if something goes majorly wrong, but this time around the console version has been amazingly stable compared to the previous games I've played.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kimmalah posted:

I've been playing the PS4 version a lot since release and it's been fine. No crashes at all and only one glitch that was fixed by quitting out and reloading. PC obviously will have the advantage if something goes majorly wrong, but this time around the console version has been amazingly stable compared to the previous games I've played.

I can second this. I've not had any crashes or noticeable technical errors. There's been a few drops in FPS - weirdly enough it seems to be more to do with the lighting than any horde of enemies - but it's nothing I'm unable to deal with.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've got Preston, Piper, Strong, Dogmeat, Sheffield, and Cogsworth at Mother Base (ie Red Rocket) as of now, gonna work on Nick soon. Who should I fulton recruit next?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The quests from the Brotherhood members in the police station, do they go anyway (as in lead to unique stuff) or are they just generic quests forever for you to grind?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I've got Preston, Piper, Strong, Dogmeat, Sheffield, and Cogsworth at Mother Base (ie Red Rocket) as of now, gonna work on Nick soon. Who should I fulton recruit next?

Hancock or Curie probably. The others are mostly locked behind main story missions.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kiggles posted:

I am using a 7850. Your'e fine. Don't bother with the PS4 version.

How are the rest of your system specs compared to the minimum requirements? And what graphics settings are you running it on? I've got an i5-4590 3.30ghz CPU, and if you're able to run it without problems and with decent graphics, I'll pick it up in the near future on PC.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The quests from the Brotherhood members in the police station, do they go anyway (as in lead to unique stuff) or are they just generic quests forever for you to grind?

Yes, they're like the radiant quests in Skyrim but better disguised.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Hancock seems cool and approves of my drug abuse, but is actually pretty boring when you're traveling with him. Deacon seems fun to travel with but gets pissy every time I inject myself with a needle full of plastic and fertilizer. Are any of the other companions not annoying as poo poo and okay with drugs?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Trick Question posted:

Hancock seems cool and approves of my drug abuse, but is actually pretty boring when you're traveling with him. Deacon seems fun to travel with but gets pissy every time I inject myself with a needle full of plastic and fertilizer. Are any of the other companions not annoying as poo poo and okay with drugs?

Seems like Cait is what you're looking for, if you can tolerate her being exceedingly Irish.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Randalor posted:

How are the rest of your system specs compared to the minimum requirements? And what graphics settings are you running it on? I've got an i5-4590 3.30ghz CPU, and if you're able to run it without problems and with decent graphics, I'll pick it up in the near future on PC.

FX8320 @ stock (3.5ghz) 8gb sys ram. Your CPU will probably handle things better than mine because AMD is total poo poo for videogames. It is worth noting that I hit different bottlenecks. Outdoors I am CPU bound, with shadow distance killing the framerate (down to 30s depending on location). Indoors it's the GPU that is the bottleneck. Most other distance sliders are set to about 1/3 or 1/2 for actors. I could probably turn them up, because I had them down to try and keep things above 45 because I usually have trouble with low framerates and headaches, but I forced a 30fps cap the other day and haven't touched the settings since. Doesn't seem to bad despite being such a framerate snob most of the time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-performance-analysis

See midway down the page. If you're looking for some more specifics, you're looking at a PS4-like experience at worst. Better than at best. Just use RadeonPro to force vsync and set a 30fps cap if you're not bothered by big ups and downs between 30 and 60 (disable vsync in the inis).

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 21, 2015

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Trick Question posted:

Cait loves drugs and Curie couldn't care one way or the other.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nick seems like a cool robot man that doesn't care about drug abuse.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Broken Cog posted:

Hancock or Curie probably. The others are mostly locked behind main story missions.

Who's cooler personality-wise?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I did Macready's companion quest several in-game hours and major quests ago and I still don't have his perk. Do I still not have enough rep with him or did it glitch? I'd like to use a not stupid companion again.

Trick Question posted:

Nick is cool and doesn't give a poo poo. Same with Strong.

But Hancock is the only companion who responds to you being a dick as a plus or minus depending on if the NPC "deserves it" which is great and also he is the coolest and once I get the perks off these other lamers he's the only one I"m going to roll with.

E: When I first met him I was like "he better be a companion" and then a quest or two into Goodneighbor Macready appears and lames the place up and I was like gently caress there's no way they're going to have two companions come from any zone but the main city and I wonder if the developers did that on purpose like "look at this badass ghoulbro in Revolutionary War gear and oh hey here's the annoying kid from Fallout 3 with a stupid cadet cap and face and things that he says lol gotcha."

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 21, 2015

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

I'm doing The Big Dig and managed to aggro mel. Now I'm at the end of the tunnel system and I can't get past the first line of Bobbi's dialogue, presumably because Mel is still hostile, even though he's still technically just standing there. Is there a console command to make him like me again? I tried SetEssential 0 to kill and then resurrect him but that command doesn't work for some reason

I got this figured out if anyone else has the same issue. Mel kept going into downed mode, then would come back to life and stand there with a red health bar while valentine shot at him. this is after I had to deal with him coming back to life and attacking me with a knife and his crazy eyes every thirty seconds through the whole dungeon. Bonnie would say her first line and Mel would never respond. I got through the scripting by timing it so that Mel woke up right as Bonnie's line finished. But then I still needed to run with Valentine far past the rally point in the hallway, to avoid Mel aggroing again and breaking the next part of the scripting where he detonates the bomb. So I cleared the quest, not really sure what happened at the end because the scripting broke and I just had to kill bonnie, Mel attacking me intermittently.

only thing is that mel followed me outside and is still attacking me with his knife constantly. traveling into different buildings didn't stop him. even fast travelling, which I thought for sure would work, results in mel cresting a hill on the horizon twenty minutes later, arms raised, coming for my blood. killing him does nothing, I guess I'm stuck with homicidal mel for the rest of the game??

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Who's cooler personality-wise?

Hancock is cool and Curie is cute. Depends if you want a badass ghoul obsessed with fighting tyranny, or an old medic-Ms Handy stuck in a vault for 200 years and blissfully ignorant about the state of the world.

Edit: Curie also has a French accent.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

evilmiera posted:

Does that only work if you use it on the book before you pick it up the first time?

Nope. You can pick it up before getting dogmeat and have it in your inventory before trying to dupe it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also is there a straight upgrade from the Shishkebab for melee weapons?

And what should I rename it to? I'm thinking A Huge Flamer because I'm mentally a child.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Cait loves drugs and Curie couldn't care one way or the other.

I should warn you, if you finish Cait's personal quest she becomes very Anti Drug use.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What is the point-of-no-return supposed to be? I've heard the standard "It will literally say 'this will make you enemies with this faction'" but that doesn't seem to be happening, and I'm wondering if my scripting hasn't gotten hosed up somehow.

I have been trying to go through each faction's quests as far as possible, and I still haven't triggered The Battle of Bunker Hill, because it seems like it's going to make me choose a side. I finished the quest where you find out Danse is a Synth, and Maxson tells me to report to Kells for a briefing. I chat with Kells and there's an option for Ready/Not Ready, but even if I say Not Ready, Kells says "You'll have plenty of time to get ready after this briefing, fucker" and continues telling me about the mission to kill 5 Railroad leaders, after which I get a note saying the Railroad is now my enemy. So I reloaded and just haven't talked to him and now I'm doing the Railroad quest where I'm trying to free all the synths, and I get the main synth rebel his materials and he says "Keep working with Father for the time being", and now there's nothing else to do. Should I just go ahead with Bunker Hill? I'm a little lost at this point.

Oh, also, how am I supposed to get Cait's perk? I finished her personal quest (? - we went to Vault 95 and got her cured) but there's still nothing in my perk list, even when I'm traveling with her.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 21, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Also is there a straight upgrade from the Shishkebab for melee weapons?

And what should I rename it to? I'm thinking The Huge Flamer because I'm mentally a child.

The Shishkebab is honestly pretty bad in this game. The Chinese Officer swords and the unique knives all very much outperforms it.
It does really bad damage, which I think you can attribute to it splitting it between physical and energy, and therefore being mediocre at both.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Broken Cog posted:

The Shishkebab is honestly pretty bad in this game. The Chinese Officer swords and the unique knives all very much outperforms it.
It does really bad damage, which I think you can attribute to it splitting it between physical and energy, and therefore being mediocre at both.

But on the other hand I look like a bad rear end wasteland samurai with it and set things on fire when I kill stuff. I like leaving a trail of burning corpses in my wake. :(

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Phenotype posted:

What is the point-of-no-return supposed to be? I've heard the standard "It will literally say 'this will make you enemies with this faction'" but that doesn't seem to be happening, and I'm wondering if my scripting hasn't gotten hosed up somehow.

I have been trying to go through each faction's quests as far as possible, and I still haven't triggered The Battle of Bunker Hill, because it seems like it's going to make me choose a side. I finished the quest where you find out Danse is a Synth, and Maxson tells me to report to Kells for a briefing. I chat with Kells and there's an option for Ready/Not Ready, but even if I say Not Ready, Kells says "You'll have plenty of time to get ready after this briefing, fucker" and continues telling me about the mission to kill 5 Railroad leaders, after which I get a note saying the Railroad is now my enemy. So I reloaded and just haven't talked to him and now I'm doing the Railroad quest where I'm trying to free all the synths, and I get the main synth rebel his materials and he says "Keep working with Father for the time being", and now there's nothing else to do. Should I just go ahead with Bunker Hill? I'm a little lost at this point.

When you get a note saying "You are now enemies with the faction", that is the point of no return, the Brotherhood mission to Kill the Railroad is the start of the Brotherhood endgame.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

But on the other hand I look like a bad rear end wasteland samurai with it and set things on fire when I kill stuff. I like leaving a trail of burning corpses in my wake. :(

I know the feeling. I found a legendary Shishkebab with +50% damage against Super Mutants, but after having tested it, a generic, upgraded Chinese Officer Sword still did more damage to them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Question about Cait: Is she the type who basically disapproves of every decent thing you do and only grants her approval to going out of your way to be a dick to people?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ nah. You just have to be "Sarcastic". You'll be kind-of-a-dick, but not punch someone in the face dick.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I did Macready's companion quest several in-game hours and major quests ago and I still don't have his perk. Do I still not have enough rep with him or did it glitch? I'd like to use a not stupid companion again.

MacCready is all about money. You'll mostly only get ups if you're asking for more cash from quests. In other instances it's simply a matter of being insistent about your reward. For example, your dialog options could be "reward / sarcastic / glad to help / ???" and while they might have no impact on anything, selecting the option that has you focused on the reward will probably illicit some interest from MaCready. Refusing rewards or possibly picking the "glad to help" options he will tend to dislike. Curie is the opposite, and if you ask for rewards she'll tend to dislike it, while if you actually try to refuse (or simply express gratitude in helping) she will usually like it. EDIT: apparently he thinks fondly of thieves, so ignore all of that. Go steal some poo poo and be best friends in less than an hour.

If you're not getting many speech checks to push for more rewards he'll probably be a slow grind since those are probably going to be bigger bonuses than just being pushy about the reward owed.

Also note, if you're comparing MaCready to female companions and you have the lady killer perk, he being male is going to gain affinity a lot slower compared to female companions. Seemed Piper Curie and Cait basically threw themselves at me (15 charisma with gear, +3 lady killer), but the males have all been slow grinds. Seems like a more natural progression compared than how quickly the ladies were spreading their legs, but it is tedious if you don't like the character.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 21, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are the things that make happiness go down at a settlement? I built so many nice things for Sanctuary Hills, set up a full-on power grid, there's plenty of food, water, and beds (more than we need), and happiness plummeted by 10 in the past couple of hours. What gives, settlers?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Deified Data posted:

Question about Cait: Is she the type who basically disapproves of every decent thing you do and only grants her approval to going out of your way to be a dick to people?

Yes

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Cait gains approval by being a sarcastic dick to people, drinking alcohol, doing drugs (before you finish her personal quest, it's a loss after) and picking locks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
MacReady likes it when you steal, which is a really easy thing to do at every possible opportunity with basically no consequences in this game (since you don't have to find a fence and there's no karma)

• Locked thread