Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I liked Kill the Moon, and I also liked the Zygon two-parter. The first episode was a bit mediocre, but the 12 monologue at the end was probably one of my favourite 12 moments yet. Still think I preferred series 8 overall so far, though. While there's a lot of two-part stories this time, I think it's lacking the overall cohesiveness of series 8. Not sure I appreciated it much at the time, but looking back it's a standout feature of series 8 - the Doctor continuing to visit Clara, sticking more with her as a throughline than the Doctor. I think some people complained about it, and I may even have too, but I really like it now. This series is kind of just a bunch of stuff, and while I like longer stories, it gives some of the rubbish elements of some of them a longer time to stick around.

Also, ages ago I started a Let's Play of Doctor Who: The Adventure Games. Starting up a Let's Play just before graduation was a bad idea as life happened and I couldn't do it anymore. But now I'm back on the wagon, and I'm doing it again. I kind of love these even though I know they're bad. I like the episodic approach, as it keeps it from getting too stale. It's a nice opportunity to revisit Matt Smith in some form anyway. Never realised how much I would miss him until he was gone. Anyway, the thread is here if anyone is interested in following it. The first of the five episodes, City of the Daleks, is all up and uploaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fun fact: VLC player ignores all region coding on DVDs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

Fun fact: VLC player ignores all region coding on DVDs.

Assuming that the region checking is done software side rather than hardware side, it doesn't do poo poo if the DVD player doesn't let it have the unencrypted files

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Assuming that the region checking is done software side rather than hardware side, it doesn't do poo poo if the DVD player doesn't let it have the unencrypted files

Right, I was talking PCs rather than actual standalone players.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

Right, I was talking PCs rather than actual standalone players.

So am I? eg. Matshita's RPC-2 "solution" is to have a check in the unit itself whether the regions match, and then not send any data if they don't. Ain't no way of getting round that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dvd43 used to work, but I'm pretty sure it's been wiped from the internet.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Get stuck in: The War Games is on DailyMotion

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22zh65_doctor-who-6x35-the-war-games-part-1_shortfilms

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

CobiWann posted:

I’m a little nervous. All the Tom Baker serials I’ve seen up to this point I’ve either seen before or knew a good bit about them in advance. I have The Brain of Morbius lined up for this weekend and I know absolutely nothing about it.

Trust me, you have seen it before. It might have been the black and white version starring Boris Karloff though.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
A week late but, I just caught the Sleep Dust Monster episode on the iPlayer and it felt like Gatiss had been playing Dead Space before he wrote this, crazy monsters made out of dead skin and such? literally Necromorphs, and a signal that gets broadcast to turn people into more of them? Pretty much how the Markers work as well.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Judge Tesla posted:

A week late but, I just caught the Sleep Dust Monster episode on the iPlayer and it felt like Gatiss had been playing Dead Space before he wrote this, crazy monsters made out of dead skin and such? literally Necromorphs, and a signal that gets broadcast to turn people into more of them? Pretty much how the Markers work as well.

Then there should have been more dismemberment, distant industrial sounds, and eye gouging.

(and now I want to go play Dead Space again you bastard)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Then there should have been more dismemberment, distant industrial sounds, and eye gouging.

(and now I want to go play Dead Space again you bastard)

Don't forget body stomping

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I hope tonight's is as good as the script suggested. My favourite script of the series, I think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh poo poo, new Luther?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
turns out that brewdog not only makes good beer as a distraction, so they can give weird tattoos

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one drawback to watching on Hulu+ is the commercials are really weirdly placed (I have not yet brought myself to pay for the ad-free upgrade.)

Still it is part of why I bought in. Seeing the whole e-Space trilogy was cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Really digging this so far. Though seeing the guys in monster make-up was a little disappointing.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Just when I started thinking Clara is gonna take the Raven as a last ditch effort
she instead talks about it in the very next scene
so now she obviously is not gonna die by Raven

also
ITS A TRAP?
I hope not

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

Really digging this so far. Though seeing the guys in monster make-up was a little disappointing.

Hyper-pleased with how the street looks. That's a big set build!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

Hyper-pleased with how the street looks. That's a big set build!

The set is incredible, great work on it :)

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, this plan of Clara's isn't going to go wrong at all... :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yelling at the raven, raven CAWWing back. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was excellent.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
that was a stab to the heart
in a good way

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

She's finally dead. Good.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
Ok that was an amazing episode

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

That was excellent.

Oh god I can't believe the graffiti'd TARDIS was only in it for 2 seconds, and in a post-credit scene at that.It was such a beautiful scene as was scripted. :(

Definitely a great episode, though.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

That episode was great, I think it's my favourite this season. Much like the first part of Under The Lake (my previous favourite) I was so engrossed I didn't even realise the time was almost up as the episode ended on a to be continued.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Diagon Alley was a bit silly.

But the episode was great, and the fact that we knew Clara was gonna this season made it even stronger.

Also, it seems some season arcs are surfacing now. I doubt this is the last we've seen of Ashildr.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
they killed her?? :ohdear:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

RoboJoe posted:

I was so engrossed I didn't even realise the time was almost up as the episode ended on a to be continued.

It was the same when reading it, which gave me high hopes. I really really like how this came together.

EccoRaven posted:

they killed her?? :ohdear:

YOU killed her

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
that was pretty good, i think

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

This was a Top 5 episode for me. Sarah Dollard needs to write more for Doctor Who.

And next week looks exciting as well!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

Oh god I can't believe the graffiti'd TARDIS was only in it for 2 seconds, and in a post-credit scene at that.It was such a beautiful scene as was scripted. :(

Definitely a great episode, though.

I assume it will be in next week's episode since it was part of the preview? I hope like hell that little post-credits bit isn't the only time we see it.

The only downside to this episode for me was the brief flickers we got of the two aliens we initially see - their make-up effects looked pretty cheap and it really stood out when everything else looked so good. Happily they only really appeared a couple of times.

Also, did I see a brief flicker of a Christopher Ryan Sontaran? Even if that is all we see of him, I dig it, because he was a fantastic Sontaran and it's nice to see a non Dan Starkey one.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

echoplex posted:

YOU killed her
nooooo

IceAgeComing posted:

that was pretty good, i think

agreed I quite liked it, I also like the theme of playing with metanarratives because the sandman episode kinda had that too but this one was actually good instead of strange and off-putting.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That was pretty okay. Disappointed that Rigsy was rather underused, and was just kinda there to kickstart things, but more Rigsy's a good thing. Graffti Tardis was pretty neat :unsmith:
Still can't stand Maisie William's emotionless boringness. Oh and she has ghost powers, because I guess being biologically immortal isn't special enough, I guess :geno:

On the upside, I'm glad Capaldi gave her the death glare for what happened to Clara. Also pleased they didn't go the route I thought they were with the stasis pod thing (I thought they were going to stick Clara inside the stasis booth and that would freeze the timer or something). So yeah, kinda clears the board for a new companion.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Also echoplex even though I've not been a fan of most of the episodes due to story/scriptwriting this season I have to say I do enjoy all the design work you and the others there put into them, all the sets and details, etc, are fantastic to actually see.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Heaven Sent TV trailer.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What a dramatic increase in quality from last week.

That prison/stasis pod looks suspiciously like the prison that the Master was in on Skaro in the TVM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Why can't I be the good cop?"
"We talked about this remember? Your face?"

:xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I loved how enamored The Doctor was with the new human.

• Locked thread