Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CJacobs posted:

It would be nice if for once I encountered a character in this video game who did not go "hello person I have never met, here's all of my motivations and what you should think of me in one conversational burst, ok talk to me later if you want to know more". But it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will.

You literally walk into him holding a grand speech to a bunch of new recruits about what the BoS is all about and why they should fight for them. There's plenty of terrible writing in the game, but that particular segment seems pretty consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

The Minutemen ending was so loving boring. God drat.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Is that supposed to magically make it not be poo poo writing?

No, but it does magically make it expected.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

It would be nice if for once I encountered a character in this video game who did not go "hello person I have never met, here's all of my motivations and what you should think of me in one conversational burst, ok talk to me later if you want to know more". But it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will.

Sorry for my previous cattiness.

To be fair I don't think Maxson is necessarily a good example of this trope as he is depicted as being blunt, self-assured, and convinced that you're hanging on his every word. There's not much to Maxson besides him being the Elder - it's what defines him. That said he never really puts the "coddled, spoiled brat" part of himself on the table, that's just a conclusion the player has to come to themselves.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I liked Maxson's dialogue. I mean with Paladin Danse he was kinda hyping up how the BoS was good for the Wasteland and poo poo and then when you talk to Maxson you realize what the real deal with that faction is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chalks posted:

No, but it does magically make it expected.

I mean, fair enough, but it is really tiring having it happen over and over again. Just because I should come to expect it doesn't mean that some kind of nuance isn't at least possible or feasible.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I mean, fair enough, but it is really tiring having it happen over and over again. Just because I should come to expect it doesn't mean that some kind of nuance isn't at least possible or feasible.

If it's any consolation, Fallout 4 has sold astoundingly well and with games like the Witcher 3 showing the industry what can be done with video game stories, maybe they'll actually invest in some decent writers for the next one.

Come As You SARS
Jul 27, 2015
So should I just drop the minutemen and go with something else? Not seeing much love for them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

CJacobs posted:

Is that supposed to magically make it not be poo poo writing?

I just meant that it partly sounds like something they did because it's a video game that's going to work like a video game. It's not exactly the first time that NPCs have given a big exposition dump about their motivations because bad or good, they mainly exist to give the player information about the plot/faction more than anything.

Your choices not really making a difference is bad, but also pretty par for the course in Bethesda games where no one gets locked out of anything until the last minute.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

What's the weapon's range? Your accuracy drops off really quick at a distance.

I'm using a 50cal now. 185 range with 112 accuracy. Misses pretty often at ranges I'd actually want to snipe from but don't seem that far.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
HATE BLOODBUGS

no seriously gently caress those oversized mosquitos

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I went and looked up this guy on the Fallout wiki and guess what

those are some drat good beard genetics for a 20-year-old

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Minorkos posted:

I went and looked up this guy on the Fallout wiki and guess what

those are some drat good beard genetics for a 20-year-old

I think the cool part is that FO4 takes place just 10 years after FO3.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

:ninja:

Now we just need grenades to actually show up in your hand and have them be an equippable item.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

This is stupid. The writing in this game is so goddamn stupid.

Feel free to google some Reagan or GWB quotes. Bethesda's bad writing is infecting real life decades ago!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Having trouble seeing how Maxson's obvious hypocrisy is indicative of bad writing.

Articulate - use your words.

you might be retarded

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If anyone's looking for an easy way to load up on 5.56 ammo, do the mission that the general store owner in goodneighbor gives you to clear out the library. There's a million turrets and protectrons there and they all drop it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Got any tips for 10mm ammo? I need it for my 37 dmg silenced hair trigger death machine.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Agoat posted:

Got any tips for 10mm ammo? I need it for my 37 dmg silenced hair trigger death machine.

At least one point in Scounger has made all the difference in the world for me.

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People

Agoat posted:

Sell your 38 and other ammo, use those caps to buy the kind

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 21, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any actual mechanical difference between the companions? (Apart from Dogmeat) Curie is a terrible shot with the laser I gave her, but I don't know if that's just her or if it's everyone.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I've got Preston, Piper, Strong, Dogmeat, Sheffield, and Cogsworth at Mother Base (ie Red Rocket) as of now, gonna work on Nick soon. Who should I fulton recruit next?

Ravage the Wasteland with Hancock - take poo poo from no one and never ask twice.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Iceshade posted:

Now we just need grenades to actually show up in your hand and have them be an equippable item.

:qq: How the hell are you doing it. I'm so bad at Stealth in this game.

If I was the one getting closer to the door that raider would be going HUH??? WHAT WAS THAT and gotten up already. I'm already Rank 3 of this stealth perk

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
That stupid Irish chick is great for unlocking everything

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Any word on weapon reskins yet? Tired of seeing left handed guns because bethesda is literally loving stupid and puts 0 effort into anything.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

frajaq posted:

:qq: How the hell are you doing it. I'm so bad at Stealth in this game.

If I was the one getting closer to the door that raider would be going HUH??? WHAT WAS THAT and gotten up already. I'm already Rank 3 of this stealth perk

I've got no ranks in sneak, but I do have decent agility and some magazines to have me sneak better. Also shadowed armour that helps me be more sneaky in dark areas (makes it tacticool black too), and I'm walking (C by default)

Otherwise :shrug:

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
What spot in particular does the X-01 power armor spawn? I held off on picking it up until level 30, almost ready to grab it and want to make sure I don't gently caress up and get it a level early.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
http://kotaku.com/where-to-find-fallout-4s-best-power-armor-1743560356

Here's a pretty decent explanation of where to get it.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Why didn't they just make power attacks be bound to holding the attack button instead of stupidly binding it to the grenade button?

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I've got a poison legendary weapon and a bleeding legendary weapon -> I take it bleeding is better, because every single hit stacks and there are absolutely 0 resistances for it, while poison doesn't work on poo poo like ghouls/robots/etc?

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 21, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anything really weird or interesting or great loot stashed out in the Glowing Sea? I've been running around it all afternoon and it feels like the same thing as the underdark place in Skyrim, where they made this great evocative space you want to explore and then put less and less interesting stuff in it than the rest of the loving game world

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Iceshade posted:

And to be usable in VATS. :(

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is there anything really weird or interesting or great loot stashed out in the Glowing Sea? I've been running around it all afternoon and it feels like the same thing as the underdark place in Skyrim, where they made this great evocative space you want to explore and then put less and less interesting stuff in it than the rest of the loving game world

I found a Behemoth fighting some Deathclaws including a Legendary and they all dropped garbage

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ToxicAcne posted:

Why didn't they just make power attacks be bound to holding the attack button instead of stupidly binding it to the grenade button?

Same reason for "why did they bind third person camera to the workshop builder?" :downs:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There's a couple of cool locations, like an old ICBM launch site and some various bunkers and crash sites with accompanying small stories told through terminals and holotapes.
There's also a radio antenna there you can activate that should lead you to some interesting stuff.

But other than a bunch of Power Armors, there isn't a whole lot of unique loot to find there, unfortunately. It's a very good place to farm legendary mobs though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

vrath posted:

http://kotaku.com/where-to-find-fallout-4s-best-power-armor-1743560356

Here's a pretty decent explanation of where to get it.

Is level 25 high enough?

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I've just turned a bleeding laser sniper rifle into a full auto shotgun with burning damage. The recoil is absolutely insane, but I'm sure this thing will be a beast :jihad:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Iceshade posted:

I've just turned a bleeding laser sniper rifle into a full auto shotgun with burning damage. The recoil is absolutely insane, but I'm sure this thing will be a beast :jihad:

Could you post a screencap with the mods and etc? On the inspection screen preferably.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 21, 2015

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Could you post a screencap with the mods and etc? On the inspection screen preferably.

Aye.

It fires 5 beams with each pull of the trigger, ammo capacity is 36. Supposedly the bleeding effect triggers on every beam hit, so according to my calculations this thing is broken as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Iceshade posted:

I've got no ranks in sneak, but I do have decent agility and some magazines to have me sneak better. Also shadowed armour that helps me be more sneaky in dark areas (makes it tacticool black too), and I'm walking (C by default)

Otherwise :shrug:

Also hit the Capslock key to make yourself walk. That helps with sneak detection I've found.

• Locked thread