Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

Is CQC wonky for anyone else or was I shadowbanned for rubigo runs?

Why the hell would you think playing the game would get you shadowbanned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Mitchicon posted:

What mumble / TS server are goons using? I've not seen goons on the CTS Elite Dangerous group lately.

We tend to hang out in IRC, and head to Mumble only when we're winged up in a Combat Zone or something.
Mumble, from the top post:

quote:

Whoops! I forgot this wasn't the PGS thread. Edited out the Mumble info

*edit* Yeah, if you want to get in on the Mumble, the info is in the PGS thread.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 21, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Hey Zaardvark this is the public thread don't post that in here.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Could you edit out the mumble info from your post?

If people would like to join the mumble the info is in the PGS thread.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Whoops! I'll edit my post.

Not A Pubbie Spy
Aug 18, 2012
Thinking of getting this and/or re-trying EVE. Reading this OP now. Anything I should know besides "pay US$45, do the tutorial, then see what questions remain?"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Not A Pubbie Spy posted:

Thinking of getting this and/or re-trying EVE. Reading this OP now. Anything I should know besides "pay US$45, do the tutorial, then see what questions remain?"
Wait a few weeks and your $45 gets you the expansion as well.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Holy crap, take a look a R Coronae Astrini A if you have a moment or two. I thought there was something wrong with my ReShade at first.

That's not sped up. It's rotating really really fast.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 22, 2015

Not A Pubbie Spy
Aug 18, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Wait a few weeks and your $45 gets you the expansion as well.

Looks like it might be possible to pre-order a digital copy -- does that mean I can play the base game right way? Otherwise maybe there's a trial I can later upgrade? Jonesin' for a spaceship fix.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No, the only way you can play straight away is if you buy the base game now.

Buying Horizons will get you the base game for free, but you'll have to wait until it's released to play. Barring any major catastrophes that'll probably be sometime next month though, so not that long.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Space Skeleton posted:

Could you edit out the mumble info from your post?

If people would like to join the mumble the info is in the PGS thread.

PGS thread?

EDIT: I've not played since the summer. Are we still using Big Harry's as our HQ?

Mitchicon fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 22, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

PGS thread.

There have been some changes... brace yourself.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
By way of apologizing for thinking I was in the PGS thread, here is a picture of my spacepenis:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Help spread space madness. Repeatedly initiate scans on docking players to effect a staccato of scan alerts.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Zaardvark posted:

Holy crap, take a look a R Coronae Astrini A if you have a moment or two. I thought there was something wrong with my ReShade at first.

That's not sped up. It's rotating really really fast.

Interesting interpretation of a 14 hour rotational period

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Will the Brian Blessed voice pack come to console versions or is that always going to be a PC platform perk because goddamn I would pay all the money to fly around the galaxy with a shouty spaceship.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Parkingtigers posted:

Will the Brian Blessed voice pack come to console versions or is that always going to be a PC platform perk because goddamn I would pay all the money to fly around the galaxy with a shouty spaceship.

They're designed to work with PC software (Voice Attack), so console users are probably SOL forever and ever. :(

e: In a few days I'm gonna drive around a moon and it will be wonderful. I'm so excited for this!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking about where Frontier could be going with expanding the line of exploration ships, now that they feasably filled in every possible position inbetween newbie-Adder and Asp Explorer.

So I made a poll on the official forums. If you want to take a look, it's here.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Haven't played in ages but I've come back to find that the Diamondbacks are little bad rear end ships, they fit into that price bracket slot early on really well. The Explorer looks really nifty as I can't really afford to run or replace an Asp.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

Haven't played in ages but I've come back to find that the Diamondbacks are little bad rear end ships, they fit into that price bracket slot early on really well. The Explorer looks really nifty as I can't really afford to run or replace an Asp.

Yeah, the DBE is a good ship. I just wish I had one back when I was saving up for an Asp. I had to explore in a Cobra and then in a Type 6, since the Diamondbacks didn't exist. Especially the Type-6 was annoying, because holy gently caress did that tub overheat fast

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Those Lakon freighters are hilarious. I briefly had a Type-9 before I could afford an Anaconda. That thing started melting itself with alarms blazing for every single jump. If you overshot the station in supercruise, it was almost faster to high wake out and back in than to turn that cow around.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ManicJason posted:

Those Lakon freighters are hilarious. I briefly had a Type-9 before I could afford an Anaconda. That thing started melting itself with alarms blazing for every single jump. If you overshot the station in supercruise, it was almost faster to high wake out and back in than to turn that cow around.

FD really screwed up with the type series, they are simply to terrible at everything except holding cargo to be any use, even as trade ships. This is compounded by them having worse cargo capacity compared to other ships in their price/size ranges.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

ManicJason posted:

I have a lovely-fitted Type-9 and I almost never get the heat alarms and I boost nonstop. Maybe they changed it since you last flew one or you had an extra small power distributor or something.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
This was two or three days ago. D class everything but FSD. It wouldn't actually take heat damage unless you were reckless around the stars, but it ended up at 85% with alarms going off for every jump.

That thing printed money pretty well when you found a good route. I found a one jump route that was making 1m every ten minutes. That still isn't as good as a normal trade route in an Anaconda, though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I find Lakon baffling really, because they must have as many ships out as all the other manufacturers combined. And their aesthetic is getting a bit boring.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
The Star Citizen thread has me dangerously close to buying E:D. Can I ask some dumb questions in here, or will you guys beat me up and take my lunch money?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

I find Lakon baffling really, because they must have as many ships out as all the other manufacturers combined. And their aesthetic is getting a bit boring.

Yeah, the problem gets even more pronounced because all the exploration-ships are also build by Lakon. 8 hulls, all by Lakon.

Here's to hoping Frontier gets some other manufacturer (or even a new one) the chance for some more exploration ships.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Danknificent posted:

The Star Citizen thread has me dangerously close to buying E:D. Can I ask some dumb questions in here, or will you guys beat me up and take my lunch money?

This thread's pretty great for questions in my experience, ask away!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

YellerBill posted:

This thread's pretty great for questions in my experience, ask away!

Thanks. I have a few questions.

1. I saw on the E:D wiki that they're planning to do walk around/fps stuff eventually. This is a big deal to me; do you guys realistically expect it to happen? I saw something that made it sound like E:D planned to do what SC was promising with modeling the inside of your ship so you could walk around that too.

2. Since I'm more interested in the game that E:D seems poised to become, rather than the game that it is now, would I be wasting my time to go in now and accumulate some in-game currency and familiarity, or should I just wait a year or two? How much grinding does it take to get a decent ship?

3. Does/will E:D offer any meaningful way to impact other players apart from combat? A support role / medic (repair?) type of thing? I've spent my whole gaming life shooting people; I'd like to do something altruistic.

4. How's the performance/optimization? Does the game run well on reasonable hardware?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Don't buy games because they might be something you want to play in the future, buy the games you want to play as they are now.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Space Skeleton posted:

Don't buy games because they might be something you want to play in the future, buy the games you want to play as they are now.

That's a good policy, but circumstances have me thirsty for being a pro space man now. E:D looks like the best fit, and if it's only going to get better, then it's a lock.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Danknificent posted:

1. I saw on the E:D wiki that they're planning to do walk around/fps stuff eventually. This is a big deal to me; do you guys realistically expect it to happen? I saw something that made it sound like E:D planned to do what SC was promising with modeling the inside of your ship so you could walk around that too.

2. Since I'm more interested in the game that E:D seems poised to become, rather than the game that it is now, would I be wasting my time to go in now and accumulate some in-game currency and familiarity, or should I just wait a year or two? How much grinding does it take to get a decent ship?

3. Does/will E:D offer any meaningful way to impact other players apart from combat? A support role / medic (repair?) type of thing? I've spent my whole gaming life shooting people; I'd like to do something altruistic.

4. How's the performance/optimization? Does the game run well on reasonable hardware?

1. You will have to pay for the expansions if you buy the base game right now, but yes ED seems to be actually keeping their promise of one big expansion like that per year. Wait until Horizons is released to buy, because then you can play the entire released game as of Horizons and not have to pay again for the new stuff that is maybe one month away.

2. Wait. If you don't want to play the game right now or even "gonna die historic on the lunar road" then just don't.

3. Fuel Rats are a thing.

4. This game is very optimized compared to just about any other big release in the last few years. That said, Horizons will require a 64bit client.

:frogsiren: SERIOUSLY DO NOT BUY THIS GAME BEFORE HORIZONS :frogsiren:

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 22, 2015

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Danknificent posted:

1. I expect the walkaround/fps stuff but not anywhere in the near future.

2. I would say you're not wasting your time doing that, but everybody's gonna have a different opinion on that. Depending on your definition of "a decent ship," (for the sake of this conversation, I'm assuming "a decent ship" is one that's inexpensive, capable, and easy/fun to use) you can have one within an hour. Well under an hour if your standards are low.

3. The largest non-combat way to impact other players, currently, is via trading or otherwise doing missions to support NPC/player factions.

4. I'm on a lovely 6GB RAM system with 512MB integrated graphics and the game runs great for me at decent settings, so I'm gonna say the optimization's pretty good.

fake edit: seconding Groggy nard, if you're on a 64-bit system just preorder Horizons (or buy it after it's released sometime in December), because that will get you the base game for free.
also, to clarify Groggy nard's mention of "Fuel Rats": Fuel Rats are a player-run volunteer group who brings emergency fuel to stranded ships

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Thanks, guys - I promise not to buy it before Horizons. But I hope it comes out before the New Year, because I have some time off and that would be a perfect time to grind.

Sounds really good - I just didn't want to take what my lazy Googling got me at face value. I'll definitely jump in on Horizons and see how it fits.

I really appreciate the replies.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Danknificent posted:

Thanks, guys - I promise not to buy it before Horizons. But I hope it comes out before the New Year, because I have some time off and that would be a perfect time to grind.

Sounds really good - I just didn't want to take what my lazy Googling got me at face value. I'll definitely jump in on Horizons and see how it fits.

If you want a compromise between paying double for instant gratification and paying one time but waiting a couple weeks, you could spend :10bux: extra for Horizons Beta access. Beta starts next week with the 24th November.

Only do this if you're really sure you want to play this game, though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Danknificent posted:

Horizons is scheduled to start Beta in the next couple of days and the E:D betas usually run for 2-3 weeks so I'd expect a release just before Christmas at this rate.

Incidentally, the reason everyone's saying 'wait for Horizons' is that Frontier have made a somewhat strange decision that if you pre-order Horizons you get the base game as well but only once Horizons actually launches. If you want to play E:D now and Horizons when it comes out you need to buy the base game now and then Horizons afterwards.

And yeah, thirding the Fuel Rats suggestion if you want to help out other people. They're cool guys.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Danknificent posted:

The Goon clan/mob/merry gang of idiots are the Diamond Frogs. While combat certainly is our speciality, horizons has us looking for new planets with interesting features to drive our new buggies off of. So we could offer a bounty on cool place I guess

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mercurius posted:

Horizons is scheduled to start Beta in the next couple of days and the E:D betas usually run for 2-3 weeks so I'd expect a release just before Christmas at this rate.

Incidentally, the reason everyone's saying 'wait for Horizons' is that Frontier have made a somewhat strange decision that if you pre-order Horizons you get the base game as well but only once Horizons actually launches. If you want to play E:D now and Horizons when it comes out you need to buy the base game now and then Horizons afterwards.

It's obviously something their bizarro world marketing team came up with, any normal company would have just sold Horizons at a normal expansion amount and made a package with Horizons + the core game for an extra £10. It's basically exactly the same deal but the way they have presented it makes existing players feel like they're getting hosed over horribly.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Mike the TV posted:

I have a lovely-fitted Type-9 and I almost never get the heat alarms and I boost nonstop. Maybe they changed it since you last flew one or you had an extra small power distributor or something.

He's talking about jumping into a system, which will push the T9 to over 80% if you swing by the star on your way to your next destination, also power distributor (lol?) has no effect on heat, neither does size matter, the only thing that matters is powerplant grade/power draw/ship hull.

A 2A and a 3A powerplant on the same ship will produce the same amount of heat as long as they are both producing the same amount of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Wait, salvageable wreckages shows up 5k lightyears from civilization now? :stare:

• Locked thread