Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Slim Jim's advertising has always been questionable

there is one that I've never objected to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I actually really like it when companies seem to realize they're making a crap product for crap people and just decide to get weird with the ads. I think I might be the only person I know who absolutely loved those Quizno's commercials with the dust bunny things. I never actually buy the products, but I'm always down for thirty seconds of odd.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

You Are A Elf posted:

The only lyrics that matter according to politicians and corporate America. See: the "Sixteen Tons" GE coal commercial or GMC's current "Eminence Front (instrumental only, no lyrics)" ad campaign.

In fact, speaking of dumb moves in marketing, GMC and Chevy have shifted from "Like A Rock" "our trucks are pretty badass and can do most anything you throw at them and they will always be dependable because we want you as a proud owner of one" to "YOU'RE A LITTLE PANSY-rear end NANCY BOY IF YOU DON'T BUY ONE OF OUR HIDEOUSLY OVERSIZED TRUCKS YOU WILL NEVER USE FOR HAULING STUFF OR DRIVING OFF THE PAVEMENT TO DRIVE A COUPLE OF BLOCKS FROM YOUR PENTHOUSE IN ONE SKYSCRAPER TO YOUR AD EXECUTIVE JOB IN ANOTHER SKYSCRAPER." It's pretty terrible all around.

Oh yea. I loving hate truck ads, and by extension, people who buy trucks. You're a loving ad exec who lives in the suburbs and works downtown, why the gently caress do you need a truck that is wider than a single lane and can easily drive over other other cars???? Is it because your penis doesn't work anymore?

The worst one to appeal to manly maness I saw was one where the guy was a tough, cowboy type, installing fence posts in an endless plain. Yep, I'm sure that's actually a task that makes those trucks in demand, and you're not playing on the insecurities of suburban professional dads.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I remember a few years ago a credit card company used Today by the Smashing Pumpkins in a commercial. It's a song about killing yourself. Also the classic cruise line commercials that had Lust for Life, a song about heroin addiction.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Not sure if it's a dumb marketing move, but here's how China advertises their new 5 year plan. https://youtu.be/ZTiBgHIWKik

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea. I loving hate truck ads, and by extension, people who buy trucks. You're a loving ad exec who lives in the suburbs and works downtown, why the gently caress do you need a truck that is wider than a single lane and can easily drive over other other cars???? Is it because your penis doesn't work anymore?

The worst one to appeal to manly maness I saw was one where the guy was a tough, cowboy type, installing fence posts in an endless plain. Yep, I'm sure that's actually a task that makes those trucks in demand, and you're not playing on the insecurities of suburban professional dads.

The really amusing thing about brand new bro trucks is that they don't fool anybody that's actually paying attention. People who actually use trucks generally buy much smaller, older trucks that look like they've been run through a giant meat grinder and won. They were probably bought used which, of course, doesn't make Ford all that much money so they harp on the gigantic, not really all that useful models rolling off.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Crow Jane posted:

I actually really like it when companies seem to realize they're making a crap product for crap people and just decide to get weird with the ads. I think I might be the only person I know who absolutely loved those Quizno's commercials with the dust bunny things. I never actually buy the products, but I'm always down for thirty seconds of odd.
They are called Sponge Monkeys

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I love the people in the giant 4 wheel drive diesel trucks who swerve to avoid puddles on the road. Dude you're driving a giant gently caress off truck that's meant for rugged work and you won't get it wet? What the gently caress?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

I liked 'em, too. :shobon: I also liked the Robert Loggia commercial for Minute Maid. Still makes me laugh. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I still remember some car commercial playing Walking on the Sun but only having the lyrics "might as well be walkin' on the sun" and "so don't delay, act now, supplies are running out".

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Len posted:

I love the people in the giant 4 wheel drive diesel trucks who swerve to avoid puddles on the road. Dude you're driving a giant gently caress off truck that's meant for rugged work and you won't get it wet? What the gently caress?

In my experience the people with the giant 4x4s were the ones that always got stuck in the snow or couldn't get them up a hill in winter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AlmightyBob posted:

In my experience the people with the giant 4x4s were the ones that always got stuck in the snow or couldn't get them up a hill in winter.

It's expensive to get 6 snow tires.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

AlmightyBob posted:

I remember a few years ago a credit card company used Today by the Smashing Pumpkins in a commercial. It's a song about killing yourself. Also the classic cruise line commercials that had Lust for Life, a song about heroin addiction.

I'm just gonna leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XdmWa0aGu8

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

To be fair, Lou Reed's never confirmed that the song is about OD'ing...

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Choco1980 posted:

To be fair, Lou Reed's never confirmed that the song is about OD'ing...

True, but I prefer that interpretation because it fits my narrative better.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

My favorite bad marketing musical choice was when a couple companies were using Silhouettes by The Postal Service, a song describing dying in a nuclear war. I want to say at least one car commercial used it as well as M&Ms (although that may have been Such Great Heights).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Crow Jane posted:

You know the stupid Lexus with a big red bow commercials that come out every year? I saw this year's the other night, and there's something about how penguins at the North Pole work together to deliver your Lexus to you. I realize it's just a dumb commercial, but penguins only live in the southern hemisphere :mad:

In the longer version of the ad the guy's son calls him on that.

Its one of a series of commercials of dads telling obvious lies to their kids about Santa/Christmas/How cars are made.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

My favorite bad marketing musical choice was when a couple companies were using Silhouettes by The Postal Service, a song describing dying in a nuclear war. I want to say at least one car commercial used it as well as M&Ms (although that may have been Such Great Heights).

Also, Hershey's and "I Melt With You" by Modern English.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, Hershey's and "I Melt With You" by Modern English.

I dunno, a song about being so in love that you see the world with idealist optimism regardless of reality seems pretty innocuous for a commercial--seriously, the only way I can see to interpret the lyrics are "our love makes me so happy that I see this world as a little less crappy". Though pairing it with a product whose chief rival in the US has the slogan "Melts in your mouth, not in your hand" might have been an oversight...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Johnny Aztec posted:

They are called Sponge Monkeys

Spongmonkeys

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Crow Jane posted:

I actually really like it when companies seem to realize they're making a crap product for crap people and just decide to get weird with the ads.

Along the lines of Taco Bell and Denny's blatantly targeting stoners and drunks, Pedialyte is now advertising to adults as a hangover cure.

twistedmentat posted:

The other day in the paper I saw an automotive review of the new F-150. The model as tested they drove cost *$62,000*. What the gently caress, you might as well go to the Porsche dealership for that kind of money.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Along the lines of Taco Bell and Denny's blatantly targeting stoners and drunks, Pedialyte is now advertising to adults as a hangover cure.
I enjoyed the Jack in the Box commercials that came out shortly after CO and WA legalized weed about the couch-locked stoner blowing his mind over some menu item. I guess it was a dumb move in marketing, though, because apparently they don't do those boxes anymore?

e: Ohhh, it's one of those late-night deals. Doesn't really match my schedule these days. We woulda loved that poo poo in college though :v:

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Nov 22, 2015

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

The other day in the paper I saw an automotive review of the new F-150. The model as tested they drove cost *$62,000*. What the gently caress, you might as well go to the Porsche dealership for that kind of money.

I know multiple people with over 100k in Truck Equity. They're the new luxury vehicle in Suburban Hell.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

In both cases they know their target markets. Taco Bell's strategy for quite some time has been "it's 1:30 a.m, you're broke, you're drunk, and nothing else is open. We still have $1 tacos. You're welcome."

As for bro trucks nothing says successful and manly like owning an overpriced, massive truck that gets hideous gas mileage. It's advertising to the world I CAN AFFORD THIS MONSTROSITY AND YOU CANNOT ERGO I AM BETTER THAN YOU AND ALSO HAVE A HUGE PENIS WHY ELSE WOULD I OWN SUCH AN ENORMOUS TRUCK?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

ElwoodCuse posted:

What the gently caress, you might as well go to the Porsche dealership for that kind of money.

The funny thing is that a Porsche could actually be more useful on a farm than those limo-trucks

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wtf does this ufo drama short film have to do with Pepsi

E:no seriously wtf.

bunnyofdoom has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Nov 23, 2015

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pneub posted:

Yeah, EGM did an interview in the late 90s' with the guy that did the SNES Phalanx cover, and they said they brought in some confused old man and took a picture of him in a rocking chair.

It's actually a pretty good shump by the way. The x68000/Wii Ware version looks a bit nicer, but the SNES/GBA version has a better soundtrack.

Don't give a poo poo how old this post is, but this is incorrect.

The guy in that EGM article said that they brought in a guy they had used for a Santa ad shoot they had done a few years prior, but he had since suffered a stroke and lost a ton of weight. He wasn't some disheveled old man they found on the street.

The main reason they went with "old guy strumming a banjo" was because they wanted something to differentiate their game cover from the numerous other side scrolling shoot'em ups that were being released at that time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That...really doesn't answer why they went with a banjo playing old man.

Might as well have a monkey flipping you off at that point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Q: What was the deal with that old dude on the cover of the SNES shooter Phalanx?

A:Phalanx was just another Super NES sidescrolling shooter that we all probably would have forgotten by now - if not for the inexplicable shot of the bearded geezer strummin' a banjo on the game's box cover. Why the old guy? The problem is that all the game art looked alike at the time - monsters or spaceships or something," explains Matt Guss, head of the advertising company behind the Phalanx campaign. "We wanted to create shock value so somone would have to pick the game up. We called it the 'Heavy Huh?!' factor." Art director Keith Campbell says they did the photo shoot themselves, hiring a model for the role of the 80-something hayseed. "I'd used him before as Santa Claus on an album-cover shoot," Guss adds. "I remember him coming into the studio, and I though the poor guy was gonna die right there on the stage. I think he'd had a stroke earlier - not earlier that day, but in the past . . . We stuck a banjo in his hands, and I think we stuck a spaceship behind his head that he was supposed to be staring at in wonder, sort of a Star Wars-come-to-the-Ozarks kind of thing." You gotta admit Guss' cover concept was mighty effective. After all, we're still talking about the game 10 years after its release. Heavy, huh? If you're too young to remember this game, don't worry Kemco's rereleasing it for the Game Boy Advance.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

This is the greatest thing :allears:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Choco1980 posted:

Handsome Ralph posted:

The main reason they went with "old guy strumming a banjo" was because they wanted something to differentiate their game cover from the numerous other side scrolling shoot'em ups that were being released at that time.

Also, EFB by Mu Zeta.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Choco1980 posted:

Game advertising in the 90s was insane, they had no idea what would work so they just tried a bunch of EXTREME stuff because it was the 90s.

Not only did you have things like the infamous "This game stinks" Earthbound ad, but stuff like this

Plus all those weird Sega masturbatory advertisements which I've posted in this thread long ago.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Q: What was the deal with that old dude on the cover of the SNES shooter Phalanx?

A:Phalanx was just another Super NES sidescrolling shooter that we all probably would have forgotten by now - if not for the inexplicable shot of the bearded geezer strummin' a banjo on the game's box cover. Why the old guy? The problem is that all the game art looked alike at the time - monsters or spaceships or something," explains Matt Guss, head of the advertising company behind the Phalanx campaign. "We wanted to create shock value so somone would have to pick the game up. We called it the 'Heavy Huh?!' factor." Art director Keith Campbell says they did the photo shoot themselves, hiring a model for the role of the 80-something hayseed. "I'd used him before as Santa Claus on an album-cover shoot," Guss adds. "I remember him coming into the studio, and I though the poor guy was gonna die right there on the stage. I think he'd had a stroke earlier - not earlier that day, but in the past . . . We stuck a banjo in his hands, and I think we stuck a spaceship behind his head that he was supposed to be staring at in wonder, sort of a Star Wars-come-to-the-Ozarks kind of thing." You gotta admit Guss' cover concept was mighty effective. After all, we're still talking about the game 10 years after its release. Heavy, huh? If you're too young to remember this game, don't worry Kemco's rereleasing it for the Game Boy Advance.

There was also a Phalanx commercial featuring the banjo strummer, but I sure can't find it on YouTube.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I just heard a radio ad where Snoop Dogg was talking about sitting in his pajamas and turning up the air conditioning and sitting in front of the fireplace and he said something like "yeah its environmentally irresponsible but its fun as hell" and then it turned out it was an Old Navy commercial and am I having some sort of fever dream or has someone else heard this.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I never really got the confusion over the Phalanx cover, there's a big obvious fuckoff spaceship over the guy's shoulder still. It's obviously playing into the "kooky old farmer man finds weird space stuff in his field" imagery that's used a lot (Men in Black, Creepshow, etc.)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

In the winter you do that to avoid spraying even more salt water into your car's undercarriage. Assuming you live somewhere where they oversalt the poo poo out of the roads.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I just heard a radio ad where Snoop Dogg was talking about sitting in his pajamas and turning up the air conditioning and sitting in front of the fireplace and he said something like "yeah its environmentally irresponsible but its fun as hell" and then it turned out it was an Old Navy commercial and am I having some sort of fever dream or has someone else heard this.

Either it's a real thing or we're having a shared hallucination. There was another one where he was going on about how you would think his baggy jeans and his tight jeans would argue, but they get along because they're "all part of the jeans family."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bunnielab posted:

In the winter you do that to avoid spraying even more salt water into your car's undercarriage. Assuming you live somewhere where they oversalt the poo poo out of the roads.

Plus, if you hydroplane it doesn't matter how loving big your truck is. Well, actually it does, because bigger means more inertia means you'll take longer to regain control once your wheels meet pavement again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Plus, if you hydroplane it doesn't matter how loving big your truck is. Well, actually it does, because bigger means more inertia means you'll take longer to regain control once your wheels meet pavement again.

Yeah, but more mass also means you slow less abruptly when you plough into that oncoming family sedan, which is good for your survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Phalanx is just another example of SFC carts having cooler packaging

That's exactly what you'd expect and it sells the game pretty well

Lady Naga posted:

I never really got the confusion over the Phalanx cover, there's a big obvious fuckoff spaceship over the guy's shoulder still. It's obviously playing into the "kooky old farmer man finds weird space stuff in his field" imagery that's used a lot (Men in Black, Creepshow, etc.)

Uhhhh comeon, I can see you making the argument that it makes sense but you can't even understand the confusion? Its loving weird. Even admitting why it works (it makes you question it) its still weird and it stands way out.

And while it does make sense, I think "obviously playing into the kooky old farmer man finds weird space stuff" is a stretch. How often does that really get used? MiB? I guess superman? Never seen Creepshow but those 2 examples are the only ones I can think of.

Anybody remember LucasArts The Dig ? I never actually bought it although it sounds like a pretty cool adventure game. But as a kid I always wanted to buy it because that box just kept catching my eye in stores:

They made the cover out of this iridescent reflective material that made it really shimmer like some kinda alien or space age technology. Pretty great marketing gimmick.