Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes. The US like it or not is the world police and it mostly works out well with conflicts like the Balkins, Lybia, and fighting ISIS.

Do you really think that US intervention in Libya did anyone except militant groups any good? If so, you and I just have different views on what is and isn't acceptable intervention consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Do you really think that US intervention in Libya did anyone except militant groups any good?

After all, Libya had the highest HDI in Africa! :downs:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Do you really think that US intervention in Libya did anyone except militant groups any good? If so, you and I just have different views on what is and isn't acceptable intervention consequences.

Well the entire population of Benghazi, who were on Qaddafi's poo poo list and slated to get wrecked up good and proper, probably made off better than if we didn't.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

He was about send his army door-to-door to kill a metric fuckload of people.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well the entire population of Benghazi, who were on Qaddafi's poo poo list and slated to get wrecked up good and proper, probably made off better than if we didn't.

Silver Nitrate posted:

He was about send his army door-to-door to kill a metric fuckload of people.

Yeah this.

Libya is more of a cluster gently caress because the US/EU totally failed to help them rebuild after Qaddafi died, but there would have absolutely been a metric gently caress-ton of mass graves in eastern Libya if we didn't intervene.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
And there aren't now?!

I don't know, I consider myself a leftist but I don't see any reason why that should necessarily include interventionist policies that have brought nothing but chaos to the middle east for the past 5 decades.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

And there aren't now?!

I don't know, I consider myself a leftist but I don't see any reason why that should necessarily include interventionist policies that have brought nothing but chaos to the middle east for the past 5 decades.

So you just ignored the first half of his sentence then, eh?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

And there aren't now?!

Most of the middle East isn't a cluster gently caress hth.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Boon posted:

So you just ignored the first half of his sentence then, eh?

So you'd argue that the problem was not enough Western intervention?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I think Foreign Relations is complicated, despite the GOP's implications otherwise.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yes? We knocked Gaddafi down just fine, but we didn't make a similar commitment to helping Libya get back on its feet afterwards.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
might be worth remembering what happened in another relatively recent middle eastern uprising when we didn't intervene to stop the local dictator.

oh, or syria, of course.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

And there aren't now?!

No, there aren't mass graves in Eastern Libya right now. At least none that Gaddafi didn't do himself.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Is that a real question?

Generally I would say that desposing a government and then just leaving it at that isn't exactly enough to call it a day and think everything will turn out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just a little over an hour until Vitterdamerung!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Can't wait for Vitter to get elected, thus proving conclusively that policy/ethics/character mean nothing compared to party affiliation

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Well my wife and I both voted against him.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Epic High Five posted:

I'm literally going back to bed for an hour so that this image doesn't mark the start of my day. Thnx facebook
Im trying to think how stupid you have to be to have never heard of The Underground Railroad, the long system of waypoints and helpers to assist people fleeing the South and into Canada

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

From waaay upthread, but this is too adorable.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Epic High Five posted:

Can't wait for Vitter to get elected, thus proving conclusively that policy/ethics/character mean nothing compared to party affiliation

It's been a rainy day today. I'm sure some people just said screw it and stayed home.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Polls should be closing soon for Louisiana Governors race. Here's hoping Edwards wins.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Polls should be closing soon for Louisiana Governors race. Here's hoping Edwards wins.

Is there somewhere to see the results coming in or do we have to wait like assholes

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Epic High Five posted:

Is there somewhere to see the results coming in or do we have to wait like assholes

You can look at the Secretary of State's webpage, but I'm sure results will be posted in this thread asap.

Also, Channel 9 in Baton Rouge: http://www.wafb.com/story/30577499/watch-live-at-8-pm-runoff-election-night-coverage-on-nov-21-2015

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 22, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Here is some live updates from The Advocate

http://theadvocate.com/news/14052243-148/live-updates-analysis-louisiana-voters

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

http://theadvocate.com/news/elections/14056475-123/interactive-map-check-out-parish-by-parish

Best link I found from there, this is what I will be following on account of I am at work and have nothing better to do with my time/life

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Looks like absentee voting is 17,000+ votes to 7,000+ in favor of Edwards.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hope he loses in a landslide.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/JSODonoghue/status/668236001001631744

Cash bar at Vitter's party.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

But are they charging for diapers?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Internet Webguy posted:

But are they charging for diapers?

Depends.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Louisiana Secretary of State results: http://staticresults.sos.la.gov/11212015/11212015_Statewide.html

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Look at them crosstabs

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Funny how the Governor and Lt. Governor races are almost mirror images.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Joementum posted:

Just a little over an hour until Vitterdamerung!

I always felt Navras had the superior mixing than that track.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
They're calling Lt. Governor for Nungesser already.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Who's to blame for the Paris attacks? Young people!

quote:

Bob Geldof has issued a stark warning to millennials as the conflict in the Middle East rages and terror attacks blight Europe.

Geldof accused the generation that followed him of having blood on its hands when he took to the stage at the One Young World conference in Bangkok, Thailand on Wednesday.

The Boomtown Rats singer has been an outspoken campaigner for refugees and has forcefully criticised governments in the West for failing to do more to ease the crisis. He reacted to the growing unrest in the Middle East and the massacre that took place in Paris over the weekend with a sombre message for young people about the responsibility they now face.

“This generation, your generation, is already stained with blood. Your age group are the killers of Syria. The people your age are murdering people in Beirut, Sharm el Sheikh. And most immediately in our minds right now, those people who went to a pop concert in Paris, who tried to watch a football match, who went out with their girlfriends or their parents for a drink or a coffee, those people were killed by people of your generation.

Maybe if we just subtweeted ISIS more or snapchatted ISIS more this wouldn't have happened.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
http://elections.thelensnola.org/2015/gubernatorial-general/index.html#&detail_level=parishes&race=Governor

is updating regularly

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Seeing a couple of people calling it for Bel Edwards, but there's still a lot of votes out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who's to blame for the Paris attacks? Young people!

Maybe if we just subtweeted ISIS more or snapchatted ISIS more this wouldn't have happened.

Lol, a conference centering around an interest in youth in Bangkok, the jokes write themselves

More to the point, did he also spin it so that snake people had the blood of Vietnam on their hands, or would that interrupt his narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Silly Burrito posted:

They're calling Lt. Governor for Nungesser already.

Isn't that a bit rash with 11 out of 3000+ precincts reporting?

• Locked thread