Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Tesla factory that they bought from Toyota in Fremont is the only automotive manufacturing facility in the Bay Area. Ford and GM have offices in the area though, presumably doing software or innovation or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Subjunctive posted:

Ford and GM have offices in the area though, presumably doing software or innovation or something.

Definitely not software innovation, though. The only thing I can think of that's worse than OEM automotive software is loving printer drivers. It's just comically bad.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Presumably there is a ton of software being written into the cars themselves that the end users aren't interacting with though, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linedance posted:

I guess GE is hurting for programmers, and/or Kids These Days are too busy working on stupid mobile apps in the hopes of get-rich-quick instead of getting a Real Job with a proper company? I dunno, I mean it was an ad for employment at GE, but the message was really weird.

The latter, causing the former. But what do you expect? You're just out of college, and have two job offers. One is in a loft in San Francisco, everyone in the office is young and crazy, and the office plays ultimate frisbee and you get a monthly massage stipend and a company Segway. The other one is in an office park in Connecticut, everyone is your dad's age, you have to dress up for work, and when they talk about benefits it's all boring stuff like 401ks and how the company has been around for like, a century. You can't even imagine staying in one place for five years. Both pay about the same, or the San Francisco one maybe even pays more. It's a no-brainer

There are a lot of problems with the insane brogrammer/manchild culture out here, but old guard's problems finding talent are their own fault.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Sagebrush posted:

The latter, causing the former. But what do you expect? You're just out of college, and have two job offers. One is in a loft in San Francisco, everyone in the office is young and crazy, and the office plays ultimate frisbee and you get a monthly massage stipend and a company Segway. The other one is in an office park in Connecticut, everyone is your dad's age, you have to dress up for work, and when they talk about benefits it's all boring stuff like 401ks and how the company has been around for like, a century. You can't even imagine staying in one place for five years. Both pay about the same, or the San Francisco one maybe even pays more. It's a no-brainer

There are a lot of problems with the insane brogrammer/manchild culture out here, but old guard's problems finding talent are their own fault.

it's going to be hilarious when it pops and the "boring old people" companies stay afloat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ranter posted:

Presumably there is a ton of software being written into the cars themselves that the end users aren't interacting with though, right?

Yes, and it turns out that software is also poo poo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Linedance posted:

Kind of off topic, but I saw a few ads during football last week about some kid all proud that he landed a programming job with GE and will be doing all kinds of cool poo poo, and none of his friends get it and his one friend is all "whatevs, I got a job for the people that make that app that puts fruit on pets heads".
I guess GE is hurting for programmers, and/or Kids These Days are too busy working on stupid mobile apps in the hopes of get-rich-quick instead of getting a Real Job with a proper company? I dunno, I mean it was an ad for employment at GE, but the message was really weird.
Those have been around for a while, i know I've seen 3 in the series. The hammer one is hilarious.

I think they are just trying to remind people that GE has moved into the 21st century.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The deposition in there is a great read.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ranter posted:

How many car manufacturers do you think are actually building cars in the bay area? I said 'compared to rest of the bay area' on this same page. Tesla is a bay area company, something most people should know when considering their impact to the Detroit/American car manufacturer industry in general.

Maybe you can send me a short bio or just calm the gently caress down.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Godholio posted:

calm the gently caress down.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ranter posted:

Shame Tesla pay is lovely compared to the rest of the bay area. They want all the skills but won't pay the going rate because "we're Tesla". I personally experienced this working with a recruiter for a position there.

I've been wondering if there might be any worthwhile opportunities in their battery factory in Nevada (my background is in mechanical engineering, and I've been looking to get into robotics).

Ranter posted:

For what it's worth, the push for autonomous cars should create quite a few programming jobs in AI and computer vision.

Oh, and it looks like Tesla will be unveiling the Model 3 next March:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2015/11/20/consumers-see-tesla-model-march/76129270/

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

And if you believe the real price will come in under $90,000, I have a bridge to sell you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mulva posted:

And if you believe the real price will come in under $90,000, I have a bridge to sell you.

Both of the non-performance Model S models come in under $90k, before incentives, the 70D WELL below. I don't know what you're trying to say here.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

MrYenko posted:

Both of the non-performance Model S models come in under $90k, before incentives, the 70D WELL below. I don't know what you're trying to say here.

it wont be 30k, and since when has elon been right about price?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mulva posted:

You think it'll be more expensive than a base Model S?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Top Hats Monthly posted:

it wont be 30k, and since when has elon been right about price?

I don't disagree with THAT, but it also isn't what he said. If they can keep the featureset near that of the Model S, but smaller, lighter, and under $50k, they're going to sell as many as they can build.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

MrYenko posted:

I don't disagree with THAT, but it also isn't what he said. If they can keep the featureset near that of the Model S, but smaller, lighter, and under $50k, they're going to sell as many as they can build.

They haven't said a whole lot about what features they're planning on putting in the Model 3, aside from at least 200 miles of range. Though most of the noteworthy features of the Model S are based around relatively inexpensive parts, and they could probably reuse a lot of code from the Model S.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I they can keep the featureset near that of the Model S, but smaller, lighter, and under $50k, they're going to sell as many as they can build.
To me, even.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
We'll see in 5-8 years.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mange Mite posted:

We'll see in 5-8 years.
Sad but true.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
It looks like Nissan is planning to add some sort of highway autopilot to the Leaf pretty soon:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/nissan-unveiled-leaf-piloted-drive-10-concept-plans-autonomous-cars-by-2020-ar171582.html

Now we just need them to improve the range to where one can meaningfully take advantage of that feature.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

It looks like Nissan is planning to add some sort of highway autopilot to the Leaf pretty soon:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/nissan-unveiled-leaf-piloted-drive-10-concept-plans-autonomous-cars-by-2020-ar171582.html

Now we just need them to improve the range to where one can meaningfully take advantage of that feature.

They've supposedly been working on a 60k pack with the same dimensions as the current one.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

This whole link is full of great reads. Well written and scrupulously researched stuff. Thanks for posting!

Mange Mite posted:

We'll see in 5-8 years.

That soon would make me very happy.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 23, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Michael Scott posted:

That soon would make me very happy.

You're right, more like 10-20 years. If they can last that long without some exotic financing meltdown

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

quote:

We are beginning to get a clearer picture of what Faraday Future, the secretive electric car company, has up its sleeve.

While the startup is still in stealth mode, it has recently started sharing select details about its future plans and has made some pretty interesting revelations.

Here's a look at everything we now know about the company and its long-term plans.

http://www.techinsider.io/faraday-future-2015-11

Some interesting factoids/rumours/whatever about the mysterious Faraday Future. There is some sort of launch/keynote/turtleneck event on Jan 4. According to the second pic, Tech Insider seems to think it will be built the same way hipsters build café racers in Brooklyn. Will be interesting to see what they have to say anyway.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ranter posted:

How many car manufacturers do you think are actually building cars in the bay area? I said 'compared to rest of the bay area' on this same page. Tesla is a bay area company, something most people should know when considering their impact to the Detroit/American car manufacturer industry in general.

Most car companies interested in technology have research labs in Silicon Valley now.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Ola posted:

http://www.techinsider.io/faraday-future-2015-11

Some interesting factoids/rumours/whatever about the mysterious Faraday Future. There is some sort of launch/keynote/turtleneck event on Jan 4. According to the second pic, Tech Insider seems to think it will be built the same way hipsters build café racers in Brooklyn. Will be interesting to see what they have to say anyway.

Aromatherapy in your car. An important development for humanity building on the scented pine trees that hang from taxi drivers rear vision mirrors. We're living in the future, kids.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

drgitlin posted:

Most car companies interested in technology have research labs in Silicon Valley now.

My point exactly.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My leaf has a digital clock and a clock in the radio/information system. They are not tied together, the one you have to manually adjust for DST, the other you have to select and option for DST on off. The car has both a GPS receiver and a cellular receiver that could grab date time. Let's be real Microsoft has a billion programming man hours available annually and can't produce a cell phone, how can Nissan compete with that level of failure.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Elephanthead posted:

Let's be real Microsoft has a billion programming man hours available annually and can't produce a cell phone, how can Nissan compete with that level of failure.

Microsoft's also (partially) responsible for MyFordTouch. It's just as stupid and somehow can't use the GPS or any of the three different ways it can get online to set the clock.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

My leaf has a digital clock and a clock in the radio/information system. They are not tied together, the one you have to manually adjust for DST, the other you have to select and option for DST on off. The car has both a GPS receiver and a cellular receiver that could grab date time. Let's be real Microsoft has a billion programming man hours available annually and can't produce a cell phone, how can Nissan compete with that level of failure.

Yeah this kind of poo poo is why, as much as I love my Leaf in general, I'm not really expecting any sort of working self-driving mechanisms from Nissan in the near future.

The 2015 base model doesn't even have a timer you can set to automatically START charging when electric rates are lower, it only has a timer to stop charging at a certain time. I have an alarm on my phone set for when electricity is cheap to go manually plug it in at that time.

Also it does bluetooth calling just fine, with audio going over the speakers, but I can't play music over bluetooth for some reason. While this may be some trim upgrade dipshittery, it more seems like just a really goddamned stupid oversight as it's not explicitly listed as a bonus feature of the higher trim levels in any marketing I've seen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nissan isn't going to write their own autonomous-driving software. They're going to license the poo poo out of it, probably as part of a package deal with the sensors.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Nissan isn't going to write their own autonomous-driving software. They're going to license the poo poo out of it, probably as part of a package deal with the sensors.

And it probably still won't set your dash clock correctly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As we head into the age of the internet of lovely things, I feel strongly that cars need less computers, not more. About the Leaf charging thing, is it possible to have a timed electric plug? Like the ones that people use for switching lights on and off so it looks like they're home to burglars?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ola posted:

As we head into the age of the internet of lovely things, I feel strongly that cars need less computers, not more.

I don't think it is so much we need less computers, but we need less CONNECTED computers. You really can't get around computers with an Electric Vehicle, or at least basic Engine Management computers for managing batteries and regulators.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ola posted:

As we head into the age of the internet of lovely things, I feel strongly that cars need less computers, not more. About the Leaf charging thing, is it possible to have a timed electric plug? Like the ones that people use for switching lights on and off so it looks like they're home to burglars?

It's possible and a very simple feature, but not one that's been implemented in this case. If it starts charging as soon as it sees power you could buy a timer and find a relay that'll switch the multiple kw required by the charger, nothing particularly difficult really, but not the sort of thing you'll pick up at home depot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think it is so much we need less computers, but we need less CONNECTED computers. You really can't get around computers with an Electric Vehicle, or at least basic Engine Management computers for managing batteries and regulators.

I agree. We definitely need and want some computers, yeah, but not the lovely ones and not the unnecessarily connected ones like fridges and microwaves. I'm not that against the computers to begin with, it's just that the implementation is so often poo poo and the failure modes unpredictable. I guess there is a boom-bust cycle to this, executives, marketers and buyers have to go through the gee whiz app fever phase before it settles down to useful implementations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ola posted:

I agree. We definitely need and want some computers, yeah, but not the lovely ones and not the unnecessarily connected ones like fridges and microwaves. I'm not that against the computers to begin with, it's just that the implementation is so often poo poo and the failure modes unpredictable. I guess there is a boom-bust cycle to this, executives, marketers and buyers have to go through the gee whiz app fever phase before it settles down to useful implementations.

Its a failure in risk vs reward management, where marketing and upper management get too much say in the designs of the engineers, most of whom would rather not let their management system be tied in the IoT functions of the vehicle.

Its funny, because I love embedded development and connected devices, but even I'm getting tired of the IoT buzzword.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, connected computers are a good thing as a whole, the tricky thing is convincing the vendors to actually spend time on security rather than rushing features out the door as fast as possible. For that we basically need industry standards and enforcement that actually has teeth. If the stockholders feel it when a security issue comes up you can bet that the company will care next time around.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah this kind of poo poo is why, as much as I love my Leaf in general, I'm not really expecting any sort of working self-driving mechanisms from Nissan in the near future.

The 2015 base model doesn't even have a timer you can set to automatically START charging when electric rates are lower, it only has a timer to stop charging at a certain time. I have an alarm on my phone set for when electricity is cheap to go manually plug it in at that time.

Also it does bluetooth calling just fine, with audio going over the speakers, but I can't play music over bluetooth for some reason. While this may be some trim upgrade dipshittery, it more seems like just a really goddamned stupid oversight as it's not explicitly listed as a bonus feature of the higher trim levels in any marketing I've seen.

Must be an upgrade because I don't have the base model and mine can do both of those things. My clocks aren't connected either though, but I expected that for dumb, technical reasons.

wolrah posted:

Nah, connected computers are a good thing as a whole, the tricky thing is convincing the vendors to actually spend time on security rather than rushing features out the door as fast as possible. For that we basically need industry standards and enforcement that actually has teeth. If the stockholders feel it when a security issue comes up you can bet that the company will care next time around.

Yeah, that's one thing that's really impressed me with Tesla, their carputer is basically designed from an computer engineer view point, not an auto engineer view point.

• Locked thread