Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Here's a handy checklist to consult on this issue of VIT or STR gear:

Did you clear the content?
[x] Yes
[ ] No

Congratulations you have the right gear on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

PLD isn't garbage, garbage tanks are garbage no matter what class they play. I still have more problems with WAR/DRK's that attempt to speed-run pull an instance without checking that their healer/party composition can handle it.

Assuming the numbers pass is still 3.2 (and not the simple TP reduction/Shield Swipe change that we got) they're probably going to muck about with the attack power formula for tanks (anything else is a band-aid over the actual problem) and take that into account with their encounter design going forward.
Either way we'll wait until they've done it and then told us what they've done.

Maybe "garbage" was a bit strong but I've got all three tank classes up to at least 50 because I'm unwell and I notice that things take...well, noticeably, longer on my PLD compared to DRK or WAR. They can clear content, obviously, but they just aren't as good, they need help.

Or I'm a bad PLD but if I can play DRK & WAR reasonably well, I sincerely doubt I'm doing something wrong with my PLD because they have half as many buttons to press if you exclude cooldowns

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Here's a handy checklist to consult on this issue of VIT or STR gear:

Did you clear the content?
[x] Yes
[ ] No

Congratulations you have the right gear on.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Or I'm a bad PLD but if I can play DRK & WAR reasonably well, I sincerely doubt I'm doing something wrong with my PLD because they have half as many buttons to press if you exclude cooldowns

I do something as PLD occasionally and despite being really good at war and pretty good at DRK, PLD is always awkward and bad and feels like poo poo. PLD is just not very good.

~

Also the right gear for the job is the one where you don't drag on the instance twice as long as it needs to take because you're a loving pantywaste who can't handle str spec/accs and don't know how to use your loving cooldowns and figure out what pace your healer can handle (while you're in DPS stance.) Stop apologizing for vit accessories and being bad, which are one and the same thing.

Griz
May 21, 2001

if anyone enjoys watching really loving bad WoD runs, now's the time! it's worse than ever now that it's full of retards trying to get the minion.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Boten Anna posted:

Also the right gear for the job is the one where you don't drag on the instance twice as long as it needs to take because you're a loving pantywaste who can't handle str spec/accs and don't know how to use your loving cooldowns and figure out what pace your healer can handle (while you're in DPS stance.) Stop apologizing for vit accessories and being bad, which are one and the same thing.

DPS also have to handle the pace too. I've been in groups on my DRK/WAR that have taken longer than my PLD runs because things took forever to die since the DPS were the weak link in the party. PLD is more vulnerable to derp DPS than DRK/WAR certainly. If I don't have a BLM/SMN/SCH in the group I don't do big pulls since it often takes longer for stuff to die without the kings of AoE damage around.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
God forbid the day I agree with KaneTW on something, but I find this pretty accurate. One VIT piece (maybe two on new content) and the rest STR seems to work well.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but again by wearing vit gear on a tank you piss off people like kanetw which imo is worth it

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Yes but then you can't get ridiculous crits on fell cleave.

Anyways, Miunih from Elysium wrote a huge post about what he feels are weaknesses of AST and how to improve them. It's definitely an interesting read, even if you don't agree with him - I'd never thought of GCDs as a resource before, but it makes sense.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3tlwsk/suggested_ast_changes_to_se_to_bring_it_in_line/

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Tanks aren't the dps paradigm in WoW and it works out fine.

The difference is that WoW has a tanking paradigm and FF14 just has a "DPS with high defense and enmity" paradigm.

siotle posted:

Anyways, Miunih from Elysium wrote a huge post about what he feels are weaknesses of AST and how to improve them. It's definitely an interesting read, even if you don't agree with him - I'd never thought of GCDs as a resource before, but it makes sense.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3tlwsk/suggested_ast_changes_to_se_to_bring_it_in_line/

I can't give a poo poo about this guy's opinion because he can't be hosed to spell "good" correctly in spite of using it every other sentence.

Klades fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 21, 2015

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

siotle posted:

Shuffle shouldn't return the same card. AST should get mind bonus. Better yet, get rid of party bonuses.

I don't agree with anything else in this entire post. I really don't think AST will stand out from WHM more by giving them a copy of even more skills. He wants to turn malefic into stone 1, helios into traited medica, and give AST their own aero 3. Copy and paste is what got us into this poo poo in the first place.

Agraya fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 21, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Burning cards for mp sounds like a nifty idea; kinda like "wasting" aetherflow stacks on energy drains.

I don't play AST at all though so I'm not sure what the magnitude of the problem is.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

loquacius posted:

mi'qote fetishist spotted :siren:

Hey man, don't kink shame.

Agraya posted:

Shuffle shouldn't return the same card.

Holy gently caress this.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Klades posted:

I can't give a poo poo about this guy's opinion because he can't be hosed to spell "good" correctly in spite of using it every other sentence.

Yeah, the way this guy types makes me feel like I fell into a hole and ended up on the message boards I frequented when I was thirteen and everyone typed like an obnoxious moron. I hate him.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The "official" reason that was given in the live letter FWIW isn't necessarily that STR tanks are bad, it's that overmelded accessories are legitimately stronger than raid accessories/tomestone accessories and the main way you get them is through hordes of gil.

quote:

"Many of those attempting instanced raids in the early stages tend to use advanced materia melding on accessories, which lead to tanks being required to meld STR or VIT. Due to this there were times where the melded accessories were better than the accessories which dropped from clearing the instance. In order to resolve this issue, in Patch 3.2 we will be making adjustments that will change the damage calculations of tanks into a more appropriate state. "

And with the inclusion of the materia through Diadem as another way to get them, they seem to really be trying to cut down on the importance of gil for raiding purposes.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

They could also unfuck the card RNG the same way many versions of Tetris "solve" the piece RNG but it would require at least a whole half-byte worth of extra data in server RAM per AST so...

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe "garbage" was a bit strong but I've got all three tank classes up to at least 50 because I'm unwell and I notice that things take...well, noticeably, longer on my PLD compared to DRK or WAR. They can clear content, obviously, but they just aren't as good, they need help.

Really if they want Paladins to be the huge mitigation tank, they need to retool the job or certain mechanics(Blocking) for it to be as such. The benefit over Warrior in that regard is insignificant compared to Warriors offense over Paladin. I believe the paradigm should eventually fall to Paladin + Mostly DPSing healer vs Warrior + Mostly Healing, with Dark Knight being able to play between, like Astrologian being the compromise between Scholar and White Mage with their own thing going as well. But with the way things currently are, Warrior can support DPS healing practically just as well as a Paladin does given their toolbox of skills. I feel it's honestly a bit late in 3.X to actually change tanking up like that, and(As someone who had leveled Paladin in 2.X) I definitely don't want to see Warrior DPS nerfed any cause I think it's pretty cool what they do. Paladin should just be structured to let Healers cut loose between the tank busters and heavy raid-wide damage mechanics imo.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 21, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think I found the person that everyone feared when Diadem became a thing:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/7007423/

All i210 mistbreak gear except for the chest and belt (and weapon, but you know...).

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
the stats on most of those are loving dire ugh

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

seiferguy posted:

All i210 mistbreak gear except for the chest and belt (and weapon, but you know...).
Such a mighty ring, 47 Mind, 15 Spell Speed.

It may not be the actual result people feared, but a wave of players with massively sub-optimal gear only worn because it's 210 is its own sort of monster.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

seiferguy posted:

What the gently caress is this person spending their Mhachi Farthings on

this is bothering the heck out of me, they straight up just do not have an i210 chest despite having nothing else to spend the loving things on

..They've never done Void Ark, have they.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

why should they do void ark? it's i200 and they've got plenty of i210 already :downs:

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread
But on the other hand, check out those gamebreaking i210 healer pants, with a whopping +34 spell speed as a secondary and nothing else!

...wait.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

DPS also have to handle the pace too. I've been in groups on my DRK/WAR that have taken longer than my PLD runs because things took forever to die since the DPS were the weak link in the party. PLD is more vulnerable to derp DPS than DRK/WAR certainly. If I don't have a BLM/SMN/SCH in the group I don't do big pulls since it often takes longer for stuff to die without the kings of AoE damage around.

This is what I mean by learn to tell what the group can take, though honestly in the case of WAR my AOE dps is so absurd I rarely care about more than whether the healer can keep me alive, and I have a lot of tricks up my sleeve to stay survivable even with bad healers (they're called cooldowns.)

Also most classes that you dont think of as AOE dps can actually do AOE dps, like monk, just people are goddamned babies who can't do math and think running out of TP is bad for some reason. Yeah it sucks to not hit something every gcd but you're still getting more potency per tp on monk if you are aoeing on 3+ targets.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

The worst thing are monks that never use Perfect Balance in a dungeon, like what are they saving it for?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Boten Anna posted:

This is what I mean by learn to tell what the group can take, though honestly in the case of WAR my AOE dps is so absurd I rarely care about more than whether the healer can keep me alive, and I have a lot of tricks up my sleeve to stay survivable even with bad healers (they're called cooldowns.)

Also most classes that you dont think of as AOE dps can actually do AOE dps, like monk, just people are goddamned babies who can't do math and think running out of TP is bad for some reason. Yeah it sucks to not hit something every gcd but you're still getting more potency per tp on monk if you are aoeing on 3+ targets.

Monks actually have some of the best AoE nowadays, too, with Elixir Field and Forbidden Chakra as Heavensward additions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

This is the worst when you're playing a class that can give out TP regen, and the warrior and dragoon you're with only do single target for the entire dungeon.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I like dragoons that spam ring of thorns instead of doom spike, the more TP efficient move that does more damage. gently caress math

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

This is the worst when you're playing a class that can give out TP regen, and the warrior and dragoon you're with only do single target for the entire dungeon.

As someone who mains AST and uses NIN as my main DPS I apologize for not keeping up on tp regen cause no one ever actually gets to that point so I ignore the TP bar.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ArtIsResistance posted:

I like dragoons that spam ring of thorns instead of doom spike, the more TP efficient move that does more damage. gently caress math

Yeah, there are still way too many bards just using Wide Volley until TP hits zero as well. That skill is dead, guys. Stutter step your way to Quick Nock range and deal with it. Same damage, less TP, wider target range. I actually wouldn't mind if that skill was re-tuned as an ability similar to Barrage that just made your next single target weaponskill AoE.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 21, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Poledancing cat/lizardgirls.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Skaw posted:

Yeah, there are still way too many bards just using Wide Volley until TP hits zero as well. That skill is dead, guys. Stutter step your way to Quick Nock range and deal with it. Same damage, less TP, wider target range. I actually wouldn't mind if that skill was re-tuned as an ability similar to Barrage that just made your next single target weaponskill AoE.

Yeah Wide Volley died when they revamped the proc mechanic to be used for MCHs main rotation. Yet SE still hasn't done anything about it, I guess it shows how many people actually still play BRD over there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

seiferguy posted:

I fear players like this but for entirely different reasons than what you're suggesting. Those substats... :stonk:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
PARSER RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

quote:

I asked a friend to parse me in the Diadem, and after I did my full rotation which may I add I practiced for two weeks straight non stop, I find out my dps is 800. Wtf? What am I doing wrong??

quote:

You should report your friend for using a parser. It is against TOS and he must be banned.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

click, whirrrr

must destroy all parser users

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
turn off that parser or i'm going to equip an ilvl 22 gearset

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I saw a 210 slaying earring in Diadem once where the sole substat was 11 skill speed. It makes me wonder just how low the stat floor on Diadem items is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Saigyouji posted:

I saw a 210 slaying earring in Diadem once where the sole substat was 11 skill speed. It makes me wonder just how low the stat floor on Diadem items is.

It's possible for them to have mainstat only.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I did my first Diadem tonight and I'm not sure when I'm ever going to do that again... even though I do totally want that Pegasus mount.

Edit: although to be fair part of it would be the whole 'sit there and farm for an hour and a half'

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Diadem is really awesome when you get 4-5 groups in a spot farming rank IV and V. That's usually a sweet spot where everyone can get credit and things die fast. Tonight we had 6 or 7 groups farming rank III/IV mobs so it gets difficult to get credit if your party isn't going balls to the wall the entire time. If we had found another spot for farming rank III with just the 24 of us I think it would have been better than going for the rank Vs.

• Locked thread