Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Griz
May 21, 2001

James Garfield posted:

If a friendly sub is near the enemy sub, don't go in unless you know the friendly sub is competent.

this also applies to friendly destroyers, cruisers, and torp bomber groups. people will fixate on the sub and poo poo out all their torps at the first possible opportunity without paying any attention to what's on the other side of the sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I think depth charges could use a larger explosion radius. It's not even worth setting up a DC run for a sub that's running deep, just wait 30 until he has to surface and torpedo/cannon

Also:

no comment

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 21, 2015

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I love sitting on top of deep submerged submarines until they run out of oxygen and just kind of die without even trying to fight me because they can't get far enough away from my destroyer to get their torps to arm.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Groggy nard posted:

I love sitting on top of deep submerged submarines until they run out of oxygen and just kind of die without even trying to fight me because they can't get far enough away from my destroyer to get their torps to arm.

I like when they get in front of my battleship and I just run them over. Not even a speedbump.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

HMS Dreadnought is the only battleship to ever sinking a submarine, which it did via ramming attack. :britain: Thats another reason I'm sad I won't get British Battleships in the next update.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Applied to join GOONS. I just started, though, so if you're prioritizing people with higher tier ships that's fine.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
We got 56 people now of max 60. Next increase is level 6 which gives us 10 more slots.

We are at 772,397 / 7,500,000 silver.

Please build your weekly buffs as they donate more than normal and give you more experience. Also donate.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Applied as Detrian. Pretty good game, kind of a bummer it runs so poo poo but for some reason I really like the commander cards and their artwork so I want to keep going.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

:spergin: notes: The Wyoming in game seems to have its post-1920s refit appearance and armaments, but its pre-refit deck armor. The Wyoming's deck armor is thinner than the Florida's according to the stats cards.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just charged down a wyoming in my independence. Battle carriers confirmed.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
applied as vrath

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

lol at anyone who thinks you can't work with random people in game

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
My god pub destroyers cannot deal with subs.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Galaga Galaxian posted:

HMS Dreadnought is the only battleship to ever sinking a submarine, which it did via ramming attack. :britain: Thats another reason I'm sad I won't get British Battleships in the next update.

The british are well trained in sinking submarines by running them over, it's just nice that they managed to do it with an enemy sub for once.

British K-Class Submarine posted:

Two boats were lost in an incident known as the Battle of May Island on 31 January 1918. The cruiser HMS Fearless collided with the head of a line of submarines, K17, which sank in about 8 minutes, whilst other submarines behind her all turned to avoid her. K4 was struck by K6 which almost cut her in half and was then struck by K7 before she finally sank with all her crew. At the same time K22 (the recommissioned K13) and K14 collided although both survived. In just 75 minutes, two submarines had been sunk, three badly damaged and 105 crew killed.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
can I get an invite into <GOONS> ? IGN = AwfulCitizen

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Can you just do this already

otherwise I gotta play grab rear end waiting for someone to pay attention for a fleet invite

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Guild is full. NO MORE ROOM.

We need donations to increase the size.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Third World Reggin posted:

We can put a flag on our ships for our guild now.

We just need an image, no larger than 1024*1024 that will shrink down to 64*64 by the game devs. It can be no larger than 32KBs.

I can't think of a funny one but we can probably change this multiple times for the cost of in game silver.

EDIT: Uploaded isis flag

Here you go...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Too close! :stonk:

Though honestly, this sums up my night far better:

Has anyone experimented with using HE ammo on any ships against any targets? I keep telling myself I should try to load HE when shooting at Destroyers with larger ships, but I never remember to do it in the heat of the moment.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 22, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Too close! :stonk:

Though honestly, this sums up my night far better:

Has anyone experimented with using HE ammo on any ships against any targets? I keep telling myself I should try to load HE when shooting at Destroyers with larger ships, but I never remember to do it in the heat of the moment.

I got some decent results with HE.
But not in the sense like WoWs. If it doesn't penetrate it doesn't destroy anything and starts 100 fires. The damage against hard targets remains low.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I wish there was a high resolution version of that, it's beautiful. :allears:

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

So to bring up depth charge chat again, don't use them past tier 3 unless you know it's a 1v1 situation and you wont ever get 250 meters from the sub's front or back. My U-boat has a 230 meter safe range on its rear end torpedo tube, so the second a destroyer fucks up it's eating a 790 damage torpedo it can't see in time to dodge.

Just torpedo them or wait for them to come up for air. It's way faster and safer than trying to get 2-3 depth charges landed for a kill.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

by request, spread sheets

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SQL1myq-BMaIm1Vlkvxu-8klDObCN9PGznUTtpWipTA/edit#gid=1290783224

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

This should go in the OP :allears:

Thanks for this, will save me a lot of time sifting through the tech trees.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Guild is full. NO MORE ROOM.

We need donations to increase the size.

You can drop me for a space, I'm gone for the week.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

FebrezeNinja posted:

You can drop me for a space, I'm gone for the week.

You have to donate the leaving fee to get out. Thems the rules.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sometimes its all comes together.

Also, I gave you the gold thingie you can buy for the clan. Give me a nicer title :colbert:

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
Is there some natural delay when you fire a torpedo from a sub? I'm hovering at 150-200 ping and it takes literal seconds for it to fire.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

Sometimes its all comes together.

Also, I gave you the gold thingie you can buy for the clan. Give me a nicer title :colbert:

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

DoubleWelp posted:

Is there some natural delay when you fire a torpedo from a sub? I'm hovering at 150-200 ping and it takes literal seconds for it to fire.

Yeah, there's a half second or so delay as the torp goes from the sub to the near surface where its bubble trail shows.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thank you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

it has been updated again

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

We all are Admirals now. :toot:

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

it has been updated again

vrath fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 22, 2015

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
What are the differences between each countries navy in this game? Is there any nation that has a clear advantage when it comes to battleships, carriers, or subs? I'm pretty sold on American BB's and CV's, but for subs I don't know if they modeled the German type 21's ability to run faster submerged than surfaced.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
German subs are tiny, really hard to hit, and have the fastest torpedoes. I like them even though they're the least durable and they don't have the same level of damage output as the other two nations.

Japanese subs and to a lesser extent US subs are like a free snack for a good torp bomber squad. Japanese subs might be the best anti-sub sub though because of RAMMING.

No one has a super-clear advantage in battleships overall I don't think, but overall I think the US CVs might be a little better.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 23, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drat this game won't play nice with Steam in home streaming. The mouse gets all funky :(

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Downloading this now because I really loved the original NavyField (terrible asian developer notwithstanding). If I loved high angling (is high angling even a thing in this game?) rapid fire brooklyns in navyfield, what tree should I go for?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
There's not really any high angling. Probably battleships though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Atlanta is a good ship. Now if only it had the fused AA shells for the main guns. :allears:

(Edit) I've been equipping my ships with one set each of fire extinguisher, repair parts and smoke bombs, but fires have been so uncommon I'm thinking of swapping out the extinguisher for more smoke as 3 can get used up awfully fast. What are other people carrying in their utility item slots?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 23, 2015

• Locked thread