Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You've all compelled me to dust this game off again and wowee do I suck. It'll be good to take cues from you guys.

E: I managed to miss the pistol in Coldridge. :downs: You automagically get it later, either at the pub or as you start the first mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The Golden Cat (High Chaos, part 2) Youtube Polsy

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Coolguye posted:

I see the way you end that video and all I can think of is "Hi Emily I brought you a new mom she's also a little dead but that's okay"

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Oh god, that update. I'm missing so much by not doing high chaos runs, just going full psycho on a building full of guards and innocents

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
IGN did a video some time ago on alternate Dishonored playstyles. One of them was "The Loudest Man in Dunwall", where you fire a warning shot into the air before swordfighting every enemy as fairly as possible, without powers or sneaking.

Man, the Golden Cat is another great level suited for multiple entrances and exits. I especially like the difference between the opulent guest areas and the drab employees' quarters; it's very Hitman. You don't really need to read the book in the Madam's office to know that these prostitutes are mistreated (apart from, you know, being subservient to men and treated like objects).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Shei-kun posted:

I see the way you end that video and all I can think of is "Hi Emily I brought you a new mom she's also a little dead but that's okay"

In a way that single act is one of the best examples of the power of a player to ruin the narrative of a game by conducting themselves in a way that is completely counter-intuitive to the way the game is trying to present itself. And I like doing that.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Man, the Golden Cat is another great level suited for multiple entrances and exits. I especially like the difference between the opulent guest areas and the drab employees' quarters; it's very Hitman. You don't really need to read the book in the Madam's office to know that these prostitutes are mistreated (apart from, you know, being subservient to men and treated like objects).

The attention to detail on things like that is why Dishonored is such an immersive game. You're most often picking your way through the muck and grime of a dying city, but the Golden Cat is a different kind of muck. It's one that's been there before the plague began, and would probably be there long afterwards had I not kind of stabbed it out of business.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The dead prostitutes weren't quite mouldy enough to keep, so corvo went for a weeper.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So tell me if I'm wrong or am just misremembering but can't you point the heart at certain npc's and the heart will tell you something about them?

Because I'm just sure that first prostitute you murdered is someone who gets their own special heart mention.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All those dead prostitutes and not a single Corvo the Ripper joke?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

MooCowlian posted:

The dead prostitutes weren't quite mouldy enough to keep, so corvo went for a weeper.

He knows that Emily prefers cured meat.

Narrative level design is severely underrated in video games. The High Overseer's sex dungeon and the drab dormitories of the Golden Cat showcase that we don't always have to be told everything through exposition. We can as players understand these things ourselves.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Narrative level design is severely underrated in video games. The High Overseer's sex dungeon and the drab dormitories of the Golden Cat showcase that we don't always have to be told everything through exposition. We can as players understand these things ourselves.
Yeah, I was really hoping this would catch on more after the wild success of Dark Souls but apparently most devs still think players too stupid.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

anilEhilated posted:

All those dead prostitutes and not a single Corvo the Ripper joke?

Would only work if Corvo killed everyone in the building and not just the panicking ones.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One fun aspect of the golden cat is if you have max agility and max blink you can get to the first pendelton from street level. The designers made it difficult by placing un-mantleable obstacles in your path but with a little bit of acrobatics it's very doable.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I was really hoping this would catch on more after the wild success of Dark Souls but apparently most devs still think players too stupid.

And oh boy are we going to have a lot to say about that in a coming mission because it turns out a lot of playtesters are too stupid and likely colouring that opinion that devs have.

Spudd posted:

So tell me if I'm wrong or am just misremembering but can't you point the heart at certain npc's and the heart will tell you something about them?

Because I'm just sure that first prostitute you murdered is someone who gets their own special heart mention.

You're correct about dialogue when you point the heart at people, but I am uncertain if that prostitute there has anything specifically for her that isn't a generic string for all prostitutes.

I'll show off the heart a bit more during the next intermission, mostly because I'm a terrible person HI EMILY GUESS WHAT I HAVE.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I think the video has been set to private or something. It didn't show up in my youtube subscription feed or on your channel page.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Coolguye posted:

"Oh yeah, and ignore the whore on my shoulder."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8mK97qN02k

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Death Zebra posted:

I think the video has been set to private or something. It didn't show up in my youtube subscription feed or on your channel page.

For whatever reason, the video's publishing date was set back to when I actually uploaded it as opposed to the day we actually you know, published it. It didn't do this with last week's video, which was uploaded the same day as this one but published last week. Long story short blame Youtube. So it's up there just a way back for some ungodly reason.

Also I think I need to fix up our videos' categories cause they're all listed as travel. See the sights! Stab new people!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dammit you guys I think my laughter woke up the household. I usually tend to find things amusing without outright laughter but this just killed me. Can't wait to see what Coolguye and Orv come up with. :allears:

E: You haven't linked the update post for Low Chaos Overseer in the OP and IIRC there was some fanart there.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 21, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Can't wait to see what Coolguye and Orv come up with. :allears:

Crazy Corvo is both a patron of the finer arts and a natural scientist in the next episode.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I hope you show off how to properly grenade fools-- by cooking it off a little in your hand first so it explodes the moment after it hits someone in their stupid face.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I wonder if you can strap a springrazor to a grenade.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ablative posted:

I wonder if you can strap a springrazor to a grenade.

You certainly can to crossbow bolts in flight! The wonders of Bend Time. (please show this off)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

You certainly can to crossbow bolts in flight! The wonders of Bend Time. (please show this off)

:stare:

Why didn't I think of that?!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Zomborgon posted:

I knew about that, that's what made me wonder about grenades. (also yes, please show this off)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

Samuel's head shaking really made it perfect. :allears: This is like, what, the second or third day he's known Corvo and already Samuel's hit the "Oh no, not this poo poo again, Corvo" phase.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AradoBalanga posted:

Samuel's head shaking really made it perfect. :allears: This is like, what, the second or third day he's known Corvo and already Samuel's hit the "Oh no, not this poo poo again, Corvo" phase.

Pretty soon Samuel is going to start treating Roboky's Corvo like the mad dog he is.
"Corvo! Whats that you've got over your shoulder? Is it another dead body? You know we don't allow dead bodies in the boat, Corvo. Drop it... Drop it... There we go! Good assassin!"

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Zomborgon posted:

Bend Time is a power I've not used for anything except stabbing people without them seeing me. Apparently I've missed a lot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is tempted to put unconscious old men on roof tops.

MooCowlian posted:

Bend Time is a power I've not used for anything except stabbing people without them seeing me. Apparently I've missed a lot.
It's great for sneaking past lots of guards and/or innocents with if you are, for some strange reason, carrying a body and can't blink all the way.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MooCowlian posted:

It's been absolutely integral to stretching my resources on my Clean Hands playthrough (aka my first full playthrough), but it sure does sound like there are some hilarious shenanigans I'll have to exploit when I'm allowed to murder people.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Springrazors on bolts is small babby potatoes and I will prove this soon enough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wait... rats don't trigger springrazors. Can you attach one to a rat and then possess it into enemies?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Rats are sadly not attachable.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'll show off the heart a bit more during the next intermission, mostly because I'm a terrible person HI EMILY GUESS WHAT I HAVE.

Orv posted:

Springrazors on bolts is small babby potatoes and I will prove this soon enough.
You guys sure know how to please :allears:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Orv posted:

Man I could swear the actual game materials suggested strapping a springrazor to a rat as a fun party trick, but perhaps not.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ArcMage posted:

Man I could swear the actual game materials suggested strapping a springrazor to a rat as a fun party trick, but perhaps not.
You can do it in the DLC with a similar type of weapon.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orv posted:

what are you talking about? You can totally attach razor mines to rats and possess them into enemies (you do take damage though)

Orv
May 4, 2011

double nine posted:

what are you talking about? You can totally attach razor mines to rats and possess them into enemies (you do take damage though)

It's totally possible that the one time I tried I missed because I haven't tried since, so that's something more to mess with.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Oh my god, I just noticed this and :allears:. You guys have great chemistry, and murderhobo and turbomurderhobo are hilarious. Also jesus christ I've played Dishonored a few times and explored what I thought was pretty thoroughly, and missed like ten areas that got shown off just in the High Overseer mission alone. I will definitely be checking out the Dark Messiah next.

E: Also, some of the 'clean hands' solutions are still pretty loving dirty, and I hope you guys go into that. One in particular is pretty :stare:. I also remember Campbell comes up again later, should track him down. (Hope that's not too much into spoiler territory, if it is I can edit out)

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 24, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Dark Messiah LP has a bunch of rape and testicle jokes. If that's your thing, then go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I will be the first to admit that I've made some off color jokes in my time and I will be the first to be embarrassed about them but I really do not remember any rape jokes at all.

• Locked thread