Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
To be fair I'm pretty sure that particular bit of superstition actually predates Christianity.

Yeah they're playing with Devil stories a lot but I think "He is literally Satan" is going too far unless you seriously think he is a rebellious angel who defied God, was cast into Hell, and now functions as the source of all the universe's evil. In which case you're a bit weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I just got this from gamefly, have a total newbie question. I noticed a recipe required my starting armor, which i sold. Should i not sell witcher gear? I see there's plenty of other stuff to equip so I'm not too worried, unless i miss out on some endgame stuff.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

OxMan posted:

I just got this from gamefly, have a total newbie question. I noticed a recipe required my starting armor, which i sold. Should i not sell witcher gear? I see there's plenty of other stuff to equip so I'm not too worried, unless i miss out on some endgame stuff.

In general you should never sell Witcher Gear. The problem is that the game didn't tell you that your starting armor was a component for witcher gear (it's just a kind of crafting tutorial). This will basically never happen again and you haven't lost anything significant as a result. Save up for Temerian Armor and pick it up before you leave White Orchard and you'll be fine.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Perfect, I was going to do just that. Thanks!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

To be fair I'm pretty sure that particular bit of superstition actually predates Christianity.

Yeah they're playing with Devil stories a lot but I think "He is literally Satan" is going too far unless you seriously think he is a rebellious angel who defied God, was cast into Hell, and now functions as the source of all the universe's evil. In which case you're a bit weird.

He's not the Bible Devil, perhaps, but he is the European Folklore Devil or a being so close to being one that there's no practical difference.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If that's the case it does mark a pretty big change from the worldbuilding done in the books but it wouldn't be the first time. I mean the books never really do much at all with ghosts and it's openly questioned whether such a thing as a soul actually exists in them. Quite the contrary in the games.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

His name is literally an acronym for GOD.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
His name is literally a Stephen King reference.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Yeah I thought the name was a Walter O'Dim/Flagg reference too.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

OxMan posted:

Perfect, I was going to do just that. Thanks!

Anytime! I'm really envious of you people who get to play this game for the first time. :)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I played a lot today, finished the Get Junior quest, and suddenly it seems like there's a lot of stuttering and frame drops when walking around Novigrad, and it never happened before yesterday. Am I going mad or is any sort of problem with the game? It's the Playstation 4 version.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

His name is literally a Stephen King reference.

Well his name is a literary reference then :rimshot:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Just finished this game. I loved it overall and look forward to their next endeavor.

One thing that really bugged me in this game though was crafting. Generally it was tedious. Alchemy was better than the others.

First was the crafter requirement. It wasn't immediately clear to me what level of crafter I was working with. When you unlock the best crafters, there is no convenient way to get to them, especially the one in Velen. Honestly there should have been a signpost right next to them. Also I think it should have been easier to tell what you had and how much you need for a given recipe with our without pinning. Finally I think you should be able to craft from your stash.

These are obviously niggling issues in on otherwise great game. If the next project fixes these issues then I'll be really happy. Alternatively you could take out gear crafting.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Stumpus posted:

Just finished this game. I loved it overall and look forward to their next endeavor.

One thing that really bugged me in this game though was crafting. Generally it was tedious. Alchemy was better than the others.

First was the crafter requirement. It wasn't immediately clear to me what level of crafter I was working with. When you unlock the best crafters, there is no convenient way to get to them, especially the one in Velen. Honestly there should have been a signpost right next to them. Also I think it should have been easier to tell what you had and how much you need for a given recipe with our without pinning. Finally I think you should be able to craft from your stash.

These are obviously niggling issues in on otherwise great game. If the next project fixes these issues then I'll be really happy. Alternatively you could take out gear crafting.

Crafting was a lot worse in Witcher 2, believe me.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Bodes well then for their next game.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I've said it before but I think this is one of the few games where I would be totally happy if they dumbed everything down and dropped entirely the half-assed loot and crafting systems. The whole tiered and randomized Diablo loot system is bizarre and pointless. Sifting through barrels of random mundane poo poo is so out of character for Geralt and hilariously at odds with the tone and urgency of the story itself. That combined with the talent trees also weirdly de-emphasized the defining traits of Geralt's unique Witcher "class"--the whole tools of the trade thing where you armed yourself with a huge collection of potions, oils, traps, lures, bombs, books, signs, and pointy things made of silver. Breaking down an old fishing rod so you have a length of string to tie some pauldrons to a piece of horse leather that adds 4% to your Sign Intensity is like Fallout level dumb unheroic bullshit.

Mayber CDPR were just making an RPG and therefore doing things that RPGS do without considering whether it actually added anything to the game, or maybe someone felt like they needed more bullet points on the back of the box, but overall the lack of serious, thoughtful design is making it hard for me to want to replay Death March now that I've lost my save. If someone ever combines TW3s story and characterization with MGSVs sense of design and refinement I'll probably die of dehydration from sitting at my computer for like four days straight.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 21, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
One of the things TW1 actually got right the first time was that equipment upgrades were very rare and meaningful.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
I like the fact that generally the best gear in game is the crafted version. Never made much sense to me that the gryphon or wyvern you killed shat out a sword or a piece of armor for you to use.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Woozy posted:

I've said it before but I think this is one of the few games where I would be totally happy if they dumbed everything down and dropped entirely the half-assed loot and crafting systems. The whole tiered and randomized Diablo loot system is bizarre and pointless. Sifting through barrels of random mundane poo poo is so out of character for Geralt and hilariously at odds with the tone and urgency of the story itself. That combined with the talent trees also weirdly de-emphasized the defining traits of Geralt's unique Witcher "class"--the whole tools of the trade thing where you armed yourself with a huge collection of potions, oils, traps, lures, bombs, books, signs, and pointy things made of silver. Breaking down an old fishing rod so you have a length of string to tie some pauldrons to a piece of horse leather that adds 4% to your Sign Intensity is like Fallout level dumb unheroic bullshit.

Mayber CDPR were just making an RPG and therefore doing things that RPGS do without considering whether it actually added anything to the game, or maybe someone felt like they needed more bullet points on the back of the box, but overall the lack of serious, thoughtful design is making it hard for me to want to replay Death March now that I've lost my save. If someone ever combines TW3s story and characterization with MGSVs sense of design and refinement I'll probably die of dehydration from sitting at my computer for like four days straight.

I wholeheartedly agree with this and think that the "hardcore RPG" loot and leveling mechanics have always been the weakest element of the series. The story and atmosphere are rewarding enough that the inventory and loot mostly just bog the game down. I do really like, however, the really rare instances when you have to use magic gadgets like Kiera's lamp. I wish there were way more emphasis on stuff like that. Honestly I think it'd be great if the game were much more Zelda-like. Rarer but more significant power upgrades. A few more items that essentially give you a new gameplay verb, and 95% less vendor trash. Combat that's much more of a straight-up skill-based action game rather than wallowing in the "action-RPG" muck.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
TW3 being an ARPG is good and fine, ARPGs are good and fine. The problem with the less poorly designed systems isn't that they exist, it's that they're poorly designed.

That said I hope for Cyberpunk and The Witcher 4 they just ditch levels and level requirements entirely except for as a way to get points to put into different abilities.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
On the other hand, Witcher sets being craftable presents the little akwkward situation of Crach offering you an ancestral weapon to aid you and response being more or less "Thanks, I'll throw in the stash with other family treasures I got." CDPR did improve that in Heart of Stone when the unique weapons are truly unique and have their own stuff, regardless of how situational said stuff is.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah Iris may not be the best sword from a stats perspective but it glows a bunch after you start hitting people with it and amusingly knocks things on their asses.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, Witcher 3 sort of has the opposite of typical Bethesda flaws. Bethesda games have plots and writing that are badly designed, mostly vestigial and don't much contribute to the meat of the game (exploration and dungeon-diving). Wild Hunt's level progression, loot and inventory systems similarly are pretty poo poo and mostly detract from the best parts of the game (storytelling, dialogue, atmosphere).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Unmodded Bethesda games mostly have terrible loot, level, and progression systems though. Like, worse than TW3's. I haven't played Fallout 4 though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah please don't pretend Bethesda games have good gameplay.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Stumpus posted:

I loved it overall and look forward to their next endeavor.

You and me both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

:allears:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Woozy posted:

Anytime! I'm really envious of you people who get to play this game for the first time. :)

Turns out the game actually thought of that anyways. When i went back to the merchant the kaer armor was on sale. In Velen with Temerian armor now!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Hearts of Stone is very solid.

Vlodimir is the best. That entire sequence and set piece is great.

He called me out for looting his crypt.

Geralt: Shut up. I do what I want.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm late to the party and just recently got Wild Hunt. I'm a good 30-40 hours in and starting to think about mods to ease some of the more annoying aspects. Unfortunately the OP makes zero mentions of mods and (as usual) the nexus site is terrible. Any recommendations? I just found a couple that make the minimap less poo poo (thank god) and I would like more nifty things like that.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Alchemy question. I respec'd after starting Hearts of Stone, not using alchemy tree skills in the base game. I maxed out acquired tolerance, heightened tolerance, delayed recovery, and side effects. equipped them. I drink 3 decoctions and I'm at what I believe should be 210/247 toxicity (I have all recipes in game).

When I drink thunderbolt, its effects (according to the status bar timer) wear off after ~2.5-3 minutes. But, I think delayed recovery was supposed to keep the potion effect on until I went under 70% toxicity? What's going on, how does this work? I wanted perma thunderbolt when I had 3 decoc's rolling.

My other two alchemy skills are the first two oil things.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The skills that are related to a certain percentage of toxicity don't count decoctions. They run off of standard potion toxicity.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

The skills that are related to a certain percentage of toxicity don't count decoctions. They run off of standard potion toxicity.

Hmm ok, so what's the best set of alchemy skills to roll if I'll dedicate 6 slots to it? 3 melee slots, 3 sign slots. I don't know what I'm doing with alch.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

pmchem posted:

Hmm ok, so what's the best set of alchemy skills to roll if I'll dedicate 6 slots to it? 3 melee slots, 3 sign slots. I don't know what I'm doing with alch.

My two cents, I played with a hybrid build through Death March NG+, thoughts on Alchemy and other stuff:

I usually ran 3 Signs abilities (both low tier Yrden abilities, Axii Delusion) with a blue mutagen, 3 Swords (Whirl or Rend and basic light/heavy attack stuff is good, I like not losing adrenaline from taking damage and the immunity during rolls is nice too), 3 Alchemy, and then the fourth group was sort of my flexible/grab-bag set. Griffin School armor techniques for the crazy stamina regen, then usually a fourth Swords and Alchemy ability.

As mentioned the potion and total toxicity are calculated weirdly. The max toxicity for recipes known (Acquired Tolerance) is really really good, that's the main thing that will allow you to use a couple decoctions at once plus potions. Poisoned Blades (poison damage vs. oiled enemy type) is pretty decent since it's % HP damage, Protective Coating is amazing on higher difficulties as it cuts a lot of incoming damage. You should really never have an excuse to not be oiled up :pedo: Synergy is a decent chunk of bonus stats. The bombs stuff is cool but they didn't seem to scale well in NG+

So basically my core build was

3 Signs - Sustained Glyphs and Magic Trap for Yrden, Delusion for Axii
4 Swords - Either Whirl or Rend and accompanying light/heavy abilities. Fleet Footed and Resolve to taste
4 Alchemy - Acquired Tolerance, Synergy, Protective Coating, usually Poisoned Blades but sometimes I switch that out for a fourth Sign
then Griffin School Techniques

the key here being tons of stamina for special attacks, signs, whatever. Usually run with Ekhidna, Archgriffin decoctions.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I mostly put stuff in the oil skills in the alchemy tree but the one that makes every potion heal you when you take it and the one that makes mutagen bonuses go up are also handy. Also the one that gives you a brief second of bullet time when you're about to be attacked if you're high is cool, if not as useful as it sounds.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The skill that makes blade oils trigger poison effects is pretty great, given how powerful poison is. It makes it a lot easier to kill big monsters 5-10 levels above you.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah poison is proportional instead of raw damage and now that igni has been nerfed it's the best way to handle that situation.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Taffer posted:

I'm late to the party and just recently got Wild Hunt. I'm a good 30-40 hours in and starting to think about mods to ease some of the more annoying aspects. Unfortunately the OP makes zero mentions of mods and (as usual) the nexus site is terrible. Any recommendations? I just found a couple that make the minimap less poo poo (thank god) and I would like more nifty things like that.

I used Fast Travel from Anywhere (use it carefully. if you've just done a quest and are in a building or a cave, you might want to run out first in case they were going to hit you with a cutscene), Perks Always Active, Display Quen Duration and Quen Visual Fix. I recommend them all.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Sharmat posted:

If that's the case it does mark a pretty big change from the worldbuilding done in the books but it wouldn't be the first time. I mean the books never really do much at all with ghosts and it's openly questioned whether such a thing as a soul actually exists in them. Quite the contrary in the games.
Season of Storms deals specifically with beings like O'Dim being brought into Geralt's world. They come from other worlds, possess the guy who brought them and when the guy dies they go back to their world...or they stay to gently caress around if they aren't bored yet.

The idea is that those beings aren't literally the devil but people just see them as such out of fear and have built folk tales around them - the same thing that happened to many monsters that Geralt fights against that are seen as way more magical and special than they really are. The difference with O'Dim is that CDPR built him around references to modern fiction as well where a being like that is revealed to be literally satan by the authors and not just seen as the devil by scared misinformed villagers.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 22, 2015

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

I use http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/642/ to turn off most experience if it looks like I'm overlevelling. That way I can sperg around the world doing all the
contracts to my heart's content without worrying about making the rest of the game a doddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

Season of Storms deals specifically with beings like O'Dim being brought into Geralt's world. They come from other worlds, possess the guy who brought them and when the guy dies they go back to their world...or they stay to gently caress around if they aren't bored yet.

The idea is that those beings aren't literally the devil but people just see them as such out of fear and have built folk tales around them - the same thing that happened to many monsters that Geralt fights against that are seen as way more magical and special than they really are. The difference with O'Dim is that CDPR built him around references to modern fiction as well where a being like that is revealed to be literally satan by the authors and not just seen as the devil by scared misinformed villagers.

Is there anything remotely as powerful as O'dimm in Season of Storms though? As far as I can tell he's by far the nastiest thing to appear in this universe/multiverse.