Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i like how in mgs2 you can shoot a guy's radio so that when he sees you he can't call in an alert and you can just kick hiss rear end for being so stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rediscover posted:

i like how in mgs2 you can shoot a guy's radio so that when he sees you he can't call in an alert and you can just kick hiss rear end for being so stupid

Beating the poo poo out of the guards is a lot of fun.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

radio! where's our backup? :twisted:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

here's a fun thing to try in mgs 3: hold up a guy with an empty gun, then pull the trigger

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

now I need to try this in every other mgs w/ holdups and see if it happens. looks like I've got a fulfilling weekend ahead of me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

As a Millennial I posted:

here's a fun thing to try in mgs 3: hold up a guy with an empty gun, then pull the trigger

It works in MGS2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also if you hold people up with the Stinger they piss their pants.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
replaying mgs3 with the revolver spinning it around with the right stick while ocelot admires your gun twirling

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
fatman fight was fun

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

fatman fight was fun
I love it. It's a great boss fight, one of my favorites outside MGS3.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

elf help book posted:

fatman fight was fun
I love how he keeps saying "laugh and grow fat" in inverted commas as if it's an actual quote that we're supposed to understand, when it's insane and meaningless, and owns

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I love how he keeps saying "laugh and grow fat" in inverted commas as if it's an actual quote that we're supposed to understand, when it's insane and meaningless, and owns

quote:

Google provides numerous sources for this phrase, so many that I was unable to find one I could call the oldest. One source describes it as "an old adage," and surely it is.

A series of prints dating from 1761-1766 includes: "Laugh and grow Fat

Chas. Corbet fecit
London. Printed for Robt. Sayer, No. 53 Fleet Street
A portly gentleman with his left hand on his hip laughs out loud and holds his right hand to his belly.

31.4 x 25.3 cm.
Yale Center for British Art (B1970.3.1110)" The description is of a print reproduced on the website, at:
http://www.lclark.edu/~jhart/mezzoto1770/mezzodated1761to66.html

From an 1832 book about Punch and Judy we have: "Mr. Punch is one jolly good fellow,
His dress is all scarlet and yellow,
And if now and then he gets mellow,
It's only among his good friends.
His money most freely he spends;
To laugh and grow fat he intends,
With the girls he's s rogue and a rover;
He lives, while he can, upon clover;
When he dies-its only all over;
And there Punch's comedy ends." See (inter alia):
http://www.spyrock.com/nadafarm/html/punchTrumpet.html

An 1851 letter from Tahiti tells us, among much else: "The natives are the happiest run of mortals I have ever seen; always good-natured, with no care or trouble. They laugh and grow fat."

An Ohio broadside (single printed sheet) from the 1850s bears this title: Laugh and Grow Fat. Comic Concert. For the benefit of the Old Auctioneer! W. A. Moyston.

It is the title, and provides one track, of a well-received CD by the Ill-Mo Boys, from guess where.

It appears to exist as the title of a video game.

There are many other examples of the use of this saying from the 18th century until our times. Plainly, before the formation of our modern scientific concepts concerning health and diet, "Laugh and grow fat" was considered a good precept. A number of cited sources use it as a slogan representing the salubriousness of being cheerful, others, more recent, warning that, while laughter is just fine, growing fat is not a good recipe for that healthy glow. In older writing one often finds and association of being cheery and jolly with being fat. Think of Jolly Old Saint Nick, with his belly resembling "bowlful of jelly."
SS

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

nerd

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

"inverted commas"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway it turns out the guys in mgs v don't know the sound of an empty gun. Lame

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

oh a retina scanner, i know ill knock this guy out and drag him up to it! why is my codec ringing i figured it out shut up. why isnt it working??

"Raiden! The Biometric scanner only works if the person being scanned is alive and alert! Do not try knocking them out!"

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

A FUUUU moment to be sure.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

oh a retina scanner, i know ill knock this guy out and drag him up to it! why is my codec ringing i figured it out shut up. why isnt it working??

"Raiden! The Biometric scanner only works if the person being scanned is alive and alert! Do not try knocking them out!"

This took me forever to do properly, and then I hosed up and went there too early and had to do it twice.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i just did the harrier fight and its really started to hit me how drat good this game is

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

i just did the harrier fight and its really started to hit me how drat good this game is
Right?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lol i read back your posts as you were playing, you punched fatman?

i planted a claymore and hid nearby so when he ran into it i could run out and shoot him in the head while he was on his rear end

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh yeah, punching him is crazy effective. You just run around, punch him when he gets close, then shoot him in the head. You can even trap him in a loop and knock him down again when he gets up get multiple hits.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I tried Claymores at first because the arena was so much like Vulcan Raven's, but it was taking too long.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
alright its been long enough. I think its time to test out emulating mgs3

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
connection been running like rear end the past few days: gonna take 8 hours to download directly form emuparadise lmao

i miss underground-gaming

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

alright its been long enough. I think its time to test out emulating mgs3

Good luck

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ArfJason posted:

connection been running like rear end the past few days: gonna take 8 hours to download directly form emuparadise lmao

i miss underground-gaming

getting those dialup feels of downloading perfect dark overnight.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

some of these codec conversations are next level

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Some?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Relax man, this subforum has gotten so hostile these days.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I wouldnt highly rate calls like "press the action button to open the door". But Rose going off about Raidens bedroom for 5 minutes after a save with swelling dramatic music is something else. Or Snake explaining Vamps name

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

elf help book posted:

I wouldnt highly rate calls like "press the action button to open the door". But Rose going off about Raidens bedroom for 5 minutes after a save with swelling dramatic music is something else. Or Snake explaining Vamps name

The bedroom call is probably the thing I remember immediately and most vividly when anyone brings up MGS2

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

The bedroom call is probably the thing I remember immediately and most vividly when anyone brings up MGS2
Same, Raiden's poster-less room is an image that stays with me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

All of MGS2's best content is in codec calls.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

apparently the lights went out during the night which killed the download and my musicbee settings

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

Mine is the first time the Marine commander incredulously shouts "the La Li Lu Le Lo?"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

when raiden and the president are talking raidens side of the conversation was almost entirely "metal gear???" style responses and i really started cracking up from it

its a shame that everyone who writes about video games is really dumb, including myself, cuz theres a lot of interesting choices made about this id like to read about the decisions leading up to it being made this way. a lot of it is like more mgs1 except not really, it echoes but doesnt mirror

i dunno its cool

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Mine is the first time the Marine commander incredulously shouts "the La Li Lu Le Lo?"
Did I miss the revelation of why they're called that in MGS2, or is it in a different game?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did I miss the revelation of why they're called that in MGS2, or is it in a different game?

You learn in 4 I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And the reason is awesome lol

• Locked thread