Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Improbable Lobster posted:

tale of tales is such gutter trash, literally nothing they've ever made is any good

tale's of game's on the other hand

can't wait for the postmortem when barkley 2 collapses in on itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duTrieux. posted:

that's a pretty good question for him though

no, a good one would be "how long have you hated black people"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

tale of tales is such gutter trash, literally nothing they've ever made is any good

tale's of game's on the other hand

idk, at least tale of tales has released anything at all

i say this as a barkley 2 backer :retrogames:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

no, a good one would be "how long have you hated black people"

fyi it's "when did you stop"

because "how long" has a legit answer in "zero seconds"

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

As a Millennial I posted:

idk, at least tale of tales has released anything at all

i say this as a barkley 2 backer :retrogames:

Are they selling pictures of b-balls available for future use in the game yet

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
they haven't started asking for more money or begged more people to preorder barkley 2 like broken age yet

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

they haven't started asking for more money or begged more people to preorder barkley 2 like broken age yet

'cause they're all basement dwellers with limited expenses

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

one guy managed to make undertale in his parents' basement in like... two years? but a half dozen guys in a half dozen basements can't finish the second basketball final fantasy parody

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gunpoint, one of the coolest games i have played, was made by a single guy in game developer studio on weekends over a few months

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

one guy managed to make undertale in his parents' basement in like... two years? but a half dozen guys in a half dozen basements can't finish the second basketball final fantasy parody
instead of comparing it to undertale how about comparing it to barkley 1, instead

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

well obvs the money has clearly run out by now so they probably only are able to work on it nights and weekends too

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the original goal was for 35k. lol what does that even mean

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I can't imagine how terrifying it must be to have a successful kickstarter for a physical item when the money runs out, at least with video games you really only need labor once you have your home office set up, imagine working with Chinese design and manufacturing firms with no money on your nights and weekends

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ask those laser tag guys who got 100k for a plastic gun and then two years later are still at the stage where they're thinking about maybe approaching someone to enquire if they might possibly be able to manufacture it sometime maybe

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
poo poo really was that the Skirmos guys? I take no glee in it or anything but I loving knew they were in over their heads :(

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
we talked to a team that promised ~100 units of a really large assembly, and when we figured out their whole promise and schedule the conversation turned to "ok, China's not an option, you need to be building these things yourselves. starting today"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
"Outsource to China" is eveyone's Step 2: ????

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mister Sinewave posted:

poo poo really was that the Skirmos guys? I take no glee in it or anything but I loving knew they were in over their heads :(

i take lots of glee because they taped a phone lcd to a plastic gun and then people gave them one hundred thousand dollars, for which they have nothing to show.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
most kickstarter money seems to be spent taking the creators to every possible convention

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
donate to my kickstarter to buy me a big bottle of day-quil and send me to the renaissance fair

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mister Sinewave posted:

"Outsource to China" is eveyone's Step 2: ????

5k units? 9 months? no problem

ks volume + timeline? lol

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Al! posted:

most kickstarter money seems to be spent taking the creators to every possible convention

yeah, no poo poo. tack on diverting resources to create demo materials and loss of time working on the finished product and it seems like a huge waste for a product that's essentially prepaid. at least when a company does it they're trying to secure future sales.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

we talked to a team that promised ~100 units of a really large assembly, and when we figured out their whole promise and schedule the conversation turned to "ok, China's not an option, you need to be building these things yourselves. starting today"

theres manufacturers in the US that will do stuff like that

...though i'm assuming this is a product that costs $20 and not $20,000 in which case lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

hobbesmaster posted:

...though i'm assuming this is a product that costs $20 and not $20,000 in which case lol

its literally a plastic rifle with a phone screen glued to it

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sweevo posted:

its literally a plastic rifle with a phone screen glued to it

Why wouldn't you make the gun simply an iPhone dock?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/214746537/her

RIP YOSPOS Bithc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah I know a few cm's in the bay area that will do all your sourcing and generally top out around 5k units, like that would be a huge order

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

After $3.5M Kickstarter Fundraising, Drone Company Never Delivers

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/charlielyne/make-the-censors-watch-paint-drying this is the best kickstarter

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

MrMoo posted:

Why wouldn't you make the gun simply an iPhone dock?

would apple approve such a accessory/thing?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Finally, crowdfunding provides the resources that will allow them to beat Google: a half-dozen PhDs, scavenged gaming rigs, and $50,000. I'm sure this wouldn't have turned out like any of the other overpromised AI projects, ever since literally the origin of AI.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Oh actually it's one PhD, one "honorary master's", a business director, and a designer. glwt

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

this is funny but at the same time they are basically raising money to pay two guys $300/hour to sit around shooting the poo poo for a few hours. he needs to promise to insert a random half-second dick pic somewhere in there to keep them on their toes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
here's a decent article explaining the actual costs in shipping a hardware product: https://blog.bolt.io/will-your-hardware-startup-make-money-677a8e6c665b#.ec0ylg282

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
here's another one http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/19/trouble-kickstarter-massive-projects-hit-rocks-coolest-zano

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

still laughing at a five hundred dollar cooler

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A five hundred dollar thirty pounds when empty cooler.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

second most funded project ever on kickstarter, btw

Vicas fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 22, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I understand really I do that the same bad business decisions and events can happen with just bigger numbers after the dollar sign but oh man I still just think 13 loving million for a product that people want to buy that kind of cash and situation should buy you some lead time so that you don't end up OhShit gotta keep the lights on somehow :qq: like it's sine kind of surprise situation

Like a garage company might end up "uh we're out of money in two weeks" but for 13 mil the timeline should stretch a little is what I'm saying

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
i mean, when you ask for $50k and end up with $13m you're kind of suddenly thrust into a problem you were never looking to solve in the first place

e: that said, it is Peak Kickstarter:

quote:

Backers of the Coolest Cooler can be more comfortable. That product, a $499 beer cooler with built in bluetooth speaker, iPhone dock, ice-crushing blender, USB charger, bottle opener, LED light, plates, knife corkscrew and cutting board (yes, all in one package) exists, works, and is in the hands of backers.

• Locked thread