Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Professor Shark posted:

That's bad, but so was the playwright who cancelled his play inspired by his self discovery trip in China where he fell in love with Peking Opera and spent four years creating a play only for it to be cancelled after people became upset by the posters without ever seeing the damned thing haha.

I listened to an interview with this guy as well as the main opponent who worked towards getting it shut down, and the rationale put forth by the young woman who wanted it removed was staggeringly foolish ("The poster doesn't tell the viewer about the history or traditions of Peking Opera" level poo poo).

It was amazing because the writer was so apologetic and eager to please the angry Twitter people, I guess so that he could have a career after this all blew over?

I don't know whether to be amazed or depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoedown Throwdown
Mar 30, 2004
Ich esse Scheiße

Professor Shark posted:

That's bad, but so was the playwright who cancelled his play inspired by his self discovery trip in China where he fell in love with Peking Opera and spent four years creating a play only for it to be cancelled after people became upset by the posters without ever seeing the damned thing haha.

I listened to an interview with this guy as well as the main opponent who worked towards getting it shut down, and the rationale put forth by the young woman who wanted it removed was staggeringly foolish ("The poster doesn't tell the viewer about the history or traditions of Peking Opera" level poo poo).

It was amazing because the writer was so apologetic and eager to please the angry Twitter people, I guess so that he could have a career after this all blew over?
You didn't mention that the main issue was Yellowface, which has long been a sticking point among Asian actors attempting to gain work in the industry.

I mean, you can take issue with that criticism given that he attempted to located an Asian cast, but the text you mashed out about "not liking posters" doesn't really match the substance of the article you linked. Obviously liberals look crazy if you're dead-set on portraying them as such.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Slightly Toasted posted:

What is this idiotic talk on cbc right now about moving Canada day fireworks to the mid afternoon

That one actually is satire!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Who does this guy think he is, saying we should help out refugees?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hagborn posted:

You didn't mention that the main issue was Yellowface, which has long been a sticking point among Asian actors attempting to gain work in the industry.

I mean, you can take issue with that criticism given that he attempted to located an Asian cast, but the text you mashed out about "not liking posters" doesn't really match the substance of the article you linked. Obviously liberals look crazy if you're dead-set on portraying them as such.

I was referring to both the article and the interview I listened to, the main opponent to the play was mostly angry with the posters and was upset that one of the Asian characters didn't have a name like Tom or Ryan or something

It was all very bad, I assure you. I'm looking for a link on CBC but haven't had much luck so far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PhilippAchtel posted:

Who does this guy think he is, saying we should help out refugees?

He's just a dirty illegal alien anyways.

So I saw that the Con's actually left us billions in the hole, who didn't see that coming?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

flakeloaf posted:

A university student government in this very capital once declared that they would not be supporting cystic fibrosis charities because CF was a disease that affected mainly white men.
Do you have a source for this? That's next-level stupidity.

It affects white men and women equally

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=912b7a91-272e-47ac-b851-3b650f0b1a79

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
>Thread gets more fired up about dumb college kids being dumb, than the federal police force fabricating terrorist attacks.

:suicide:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Rime posted:

>Thread gets more fired up about dumb college kids being dumb, than the federal police force fabricating terrorist attacks.

It's common dog that the "suspects" in that case were complete morons who'd been enabled and entrapped at literally every step of the game. We'd discussed it at length when that information came out the first time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Also when it was first posted yesterday we did get upset. But that would involve you reading the thread

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 9, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Hm, I'd never looked at it that way but yeah: An ostensibly intelligent professional lawyer, whose job it is to bring sensible, winnable cases to court and present their facts with a straight face and the faintest echo of professional integrity, read this case and thought "Yup, this is a reasonable thing for the state to be doing. I will participate in this fair and completely justifiable process!"

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 22, 2015

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also when it was first posted yesterday we did get upset. But that would involve you reading the thread

It's the same fifteen people circle-jerking daily, as is the debt thread. I just come in here to drop bombs and leave, now, and much like the allies I don't care if this is the second run over ruins.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The RCMP agents getting annoyed at them having sex instead of building bombs will never not be funny. I'm angry but it's also like so stupidly absurd that I want there to be a TV movie made on it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rime posted:

It's the same fifteen people circle-jerking daily, as is the debt thread. I just come in here to drop bombs and leave, now, and much like the allies I don't care if this is the second run over ruins.

Hot take! Man where would we be without your insight

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rime posted:

This case is amazing and would make for an awesome miniseries

Series Finale Spoilers in the final minutes of the season, RCMP officers pull up to the house they've provided to the couple. Officers storm the property, and on the count of 3 officers break down the front door... to find a housewarming party for a young couple going on. Scene then shifts to Nova Scotia, where the couple stand proudly in front if a mansion, a Realtor takes down the For Sale sign

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Baronjutter posted:

Also no fireworks on Canada day it's offensive Chinese cultural appropriation.

I'll get behind this for the no fireworks

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Rime posted:

bunnyofdoom posted:

too busy straight hustlin' like a badass i guess.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Eh, I went back 4 pages and didn't see anything other than the usual.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This story isn't even kind of new, we've talked about it a half dozen times already. Everyone seems to agree that it's really hosed for the RCMP to do that. I think even swagger did last time.

The Ottawa U thing is ridiculous, but totally par for the course. Student Associations are poo poo, and it sucks for the left that this is how most university students get introduced to "leftist" politics.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Rime posted:

Eh, I went back 4 pages and didn't see anything other than the usual.

So the thread went a whole day without talking about what you wanted it to talk about

The horror

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't really mind the RCMP finding suggestible morons and doing something about them, since it could just as easily be a Daesh recruiter or something that talks to them instead. It's more of an issue of "is this cost-effective?" which it probably wasn't in this case.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

How about - and this is gonna sound crazy so bear with me - how about instead of posing as supposed Isis recruiters, which supposedly exist, and are supposedly out there waiting to scoop up suggestible morons anywhere, and for several months coax and cajole and pretty much beg them to wage jihad.

How about the cops instead pose as suggestible morons and find said Isis recruiters

which supposedly exist

and are supposedly looking for morons to recruit

and catch them instead?!

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 22, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i feel like ISIS probably would've given up on these guys around the time they hatched their master plan to bomb an abandoned rail line

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kly posted:

i feel like ISIS probably would've given up on these guys around the time they hatched their master plan to bomb an abandoned rail line

If they wanted to bomb unused infrastructure so much, why didn't they become RCMP officers? :v:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Jordan7hm posted:

This story isn't even kind of new, we've talked about it a half dozen times already. Everyone seems to agree that it's really hosed for the RCMP to do that. I think even swagger did last time.

The Ottawa U thing is ridiculous, but totally par for the course. Student Associations are poo poo, and it sucks for the left that this is how most university students get introduced to "leftist" politics.

Voter awareness of student association elections is probably even lower than it is for school boards. It's no surprise that motivated fringe types get elected.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

vyelkin posted:

If they wanted to bomb unused infrastructure so much, why didn't they become RCMP officers? :v:

Probably would have done well in that field.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

OPSEU says the LCBO already has plenty of experience and secure infrastructure to handle legal marijuana sales in Ontario.

Bonus points: The spokesman's name is Smokey.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

How about - and this is gonna sound crazy so bear with me - how about instead of posing as supposed Isis recruiters, which supposedly exist, and are supposedly out there waiting to scoop up suggestible morons anywhere, and for several months coax and cajole and pretty much beg them to wage jihad.

How about the cops instead pose as suggestible morons and find said Isis recruiters

which supposedly exist

and are supposedly looking for morons to recruit

and catch them instead?!

I expect they're trying, but those types of people are lunatics, not idiots. They are much more difficult to catch and prosecute than a couple of morons who can be cajoled into some kind of violent jihad.

I don't see what's wrong with imprisoning the sort of people who can be talked into terroristic actions, even if they're stunningly incompetent at it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

I don't see what's wrong with imprisoning the sort of people who can be talked into terroristic actions, even if they're stunningly incompetent at it.

Schools would be pretty boring without any students in them. Good way to ease the burden on homeless shelters and mental hospitals though.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

PT6A posted:

How did you make it all the way through that statement? There's this fat chunk in the middle that is really at odds with the beginning and end. How did this happen?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I have zero sympathy for the junkie jihadists who were willing to, if not quite capable of, murdering people. The scandal here is the RCMP throwing away a lot of money in an ill conceived politicized scheme to justify more money and power for their department.

If the RCMP just wanted to put these fools behind bars I'm pretty sure there are cheaper, simpler and less legally dubious ways to do so. The elaborate and expensive attempts to manufacture a bomb plot only really make sense if your primary goal is to generate public anxiety or maybe advance your own career.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Joe is really mad about the surplus that no one really believed in being called fake

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Helsing posted:

I have zero sympathy for the junkie jihadists who were willing to, if not quite capable of, murdering people. The scandal here is the RCMP throwing away a lot of money in an ill conceived politicized scheme to justify more money and power for their department.

If the RCMP just wanted to put these fools behind bars I'm pretty sure there are cheaper, simpler and less legally dubious ways to do so. The elaborate and expensive attempts to manufacture a bomb plot only really make sense if your primary goal is to generate public anxiety or maybe advance your own career.

Maybe if we took the RCMP's millions they spent on this sting operation and instead spent it on helping junkies, there'd be fewer people susceptible to being bribed and cajoled over the course of months into performing criminal actions.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hug a thug programs: Because if thugs got more hugs, they probably wouldn't be so angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Lassitude posted:

Maybe if we took the RCMP's millions they spent on this sting operation and instead spent it on helping junkies, there'd be fewer people susceptible to being bribed and cajoled over the course of months into performing criminal actions.

Who are you going to throw money at to solve the alienation young immigrants feel when they just wake up and watch the morning news or go to schoolÉ