Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Require More Fire posted:

if you install the old busted Google Voice app you can then enable the built-in visual voicemail tab in the dialer, which works very well.

Does this require a specific dialer? I don't see a voicemail tab in my dialer on a 2014 Moto X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Question, I want to have more of my computer's functionality on my Android phone. Like something more resembling a computer keyboard and specifically an undo and redo button for text editing, and maybe a better way of copy/pasting. Any suggestions?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

TraderStav posted:

If I do not port my number to Google Voice, can I still accomplish this? I hate having to dial to retrieve my voicemail in 2015. Cursed Cricket.

Cricket has a visual voicemail app though?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Cricket has a visual voicemail app though?

I just checked it out and it looks like it was last updated in May of 2014 and also doesn't seem to either be compatible with all unlocked devices or isn't compatible with marshmallow.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

bull3964 posted:

I just checked it out and it looks like it was last updated in May of 2014 and also doesn't seem to either be compatible with all unlocked devices or isn't compatible with marshmallow.

I'm using it on my nexus 6 right now? I don't know what to tell ya lol

Edit: I guess I should ask what phone you have?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I'm using the Cricket visual VM app on my 2015 Moto G and it works fine although it does look like a real slapdash piece of poo poo.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

TraderStav posted:

If I do not port my number to Google Voice, can I still accomplish this? I hate having to dial to retrieve my voicemail in 2015. Cursed Cricket.

My number isn't ported to GV, so AFAIK it's not a requirement.

hooah posted:

Does this require a specific dialer? I don't see a voicemail tab in my dialer on a 2014 Moto X.

I think the voicemail tab is only in the stock Android dialer, or maybe Nexus-only.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

The rear end Stooge posted:

I'm using the Cricket visual VM app on my 2015 Moto G and it works fine although it does look like a real slapdash piece of poo poo.

Oh yeah I should have added that it works fine, buy definitely looks like babby's first app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Yeah I'm using it on my 2014 Moto G and it looks like some poo poo out of 2009, but works fine. I've never had visual voicemail before I moved to cricket, and it loving owns.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Porting to Google Voice and having your voicemails popup in Hangouts on all of your devices owns even harder.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Porting to Google Voice and having your voicemails popup in Hangouts on all of your devices owns even harder.

Yet another way Canada is left out :(

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

DemonMage posted:

Doze is for when you leave the phone alone for a long time, it's not meant to be someone setting the phone down briefly. It's meant for when it's completely idle, like overnight. It's so that if you forget to put the phone on the charger (or you're camping or whatever) that you lose little to nothing while you sleep.

And that's true a wakelock can't happen then, but that cripples the majority of the device and requiring RandomPerson01 to learn to opt in is way worse than letting people report lovely apps and punishing their search results (or you know, having a better battery readout).

Have you ever used STAMINA on a Sony phone though? Nothing is crippling about it, it isn't required, and it gives you a pretty simple walkthrough explaining how it works.

I'm not saying have only allowed apps run when screen is off as a default - sure people would flip out - but it seems like such a simple option for people that want to take advantage of it. Doze could be so much more in that case then just a random once every few months "I forgot/couldn't plug my phone in" safety net.

It's not make or break it's just the one thing I miss from Sony, I didn't think that they really had anything special going for them until I left. :unsmith:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Question about the Moto G 2015, does it have any issues with video playback or too many apps being open with the 2GB version? I don't mind the low performance if it can just do stuff like run youtube videos @ 60fps without stutters.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

hooah posted:

It's not a tab, they just show up in your call log. Working fine here on my 2013 Moto X.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Speaking of voicemails, does anyone know how to make the default New Voicemail notification go away permanently? I have everything set up through Google Voice and the voicemails appear fine in the dialer and give their own separate notification, but this default one just sticks around. When I tap it to dial my voicemail box it says there are no new messages but doesn't clear. It can be cleared by force stopping the "Phone Services" system app but eventually just comes back.

Any help with this could prevent me from going insane. I'm using a Nexus 6p on Sprint.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Hace posted:

Question about the Moto G 2015, does it have any issues with video playback or too many apps being open with the 2GB version? I don't mind the low performance if it can just do stuff like run youtube videos @ 60fps without stutters.

Never had any trouble with YouTube, but it did stutter a lot on some high-bitrate 720p MKVs that I tried playing in VLC.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Google Voice is cool and good.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

BJPaskoff posted:

So I just discovered that my new 6P isn't giving me notifications when I get a voicemail. I'm on Verizon. How do I fix this? The official visual voicemail app from Verizon doesn't work on unlocked phones.

Google Voice is the correct option as has been mentioned. If for some reason that doesn't work for you, try YouMail. It pre-dates GV, but it serves the same function, but with a few other nice features (see Call Ditch).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Google Voice is the correct option as has been mentioned. If for some reason that doesn't work for you, try YouMail. It pre-dates GV, but it serves the same function, but with a few other nice features (see Call Ditch).

I wonder if this one works in Canada..

e: apparently it might on carriers other than Rogers or Wind, loving great, another nonfunctional service for me

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm using it on my nexus 6 right now? I don't know what to tell ya lol

Edit: I guess I should ask what phone you have?

Moto X Pure 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Never had any trouble with YouTube, but it did stutter a lot on some high-bitrate 720p MKVs that I tried playing in VLC.

android_users.txt

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

TollTheHounds posted:

Have you ever used STAMINA on a Sony phone though? Nothing is crippling about it, it isn't required, and it gives you a pretty simple walkthrough explaining how it works.

I've had to tech support my mom's phone when it got turned on, and every time it's gotten turned on since. The exclusion list is usually ignored, and it's supposed to queue stuff to hit every 15 minutes anyways, so nothing should be crippled only massively delayed, but she's had things get delayed for hours(/infinity) due to it.

It's not a horrible idea, it's very similar to Doze at a high level, but it's just not a good solution long term. They need to find a better way to inform users that X app is misbehaving and let them or the app developer deal with it instead of lovely work arounds. While cripple is hyperbole, it's a significant downside to have a 15 minute delay on an app during normal use and having to add them one by one to an exclusion list is less than ideal. On top of that you've got a good chance of adding the problem app to the exclusion list. Much better to expend resources on the root cause or more information.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

SnakePlissken posted:

Question, I want to have more of my computer's functionality on my Android phone. Like something more resembling a computer keyboard and specifically an undo and redo button for text editing, and maybe a better way of copy/pasting. Any suggestions?

TollTheHounds posted:

Have you ever used STAMINA on a Sony phone though?
It's not make or break it's just the one thing I miss from Sony, I didn't think that they really had anything special going for them until I left. :unsmith:

A rooted phone with xposed fixed both of these problems. Pseudo-stamina is power nap, and there are a few for undo, clipboard might not even need root.

I'm on systemless root though which seems useless actually. I'm waiting on a better non-GPE M sense rom.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Does anyone have the official Google case for the 5x? Is it worth the extra money?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
last day for me in the office so I'm just going to leave this here :ninja: (HTC One coming back from the repair center with no volume button and embarrassingly messed up chassis).

Don't buy HTC phones.

peace

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ghableska posted:

Does anyone have the official Google case for the 5x? Is it worth the extra money?
The blue one isn't blue so I sent it back. Other than that it seemed fine. I use the 6P one and I like the material back and design but it's hard to say that it's really worth £25.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

last day for me in the office so I'm just going to leave this here :ninja: (HTC One coming back from the repair center with no volume button and embarrassingly messed up chassis).

Don't buy HTC phones.

peace

What in the actual gently caress?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AlexDeGruven posted:

What in the actual gently caress?

HTC is staffed by broke meth heads hth

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendation on a folio-style case for a Nexus 6P? I like the idea of a flap on the front that will protect it from accidental scratches in my pocket, but is unobtrusive for when I want to use it. Google has an official one for $50, but there are a ton of unofficial ones in the $10 range.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

So I did the Samsung Ultimate Test Drive and used a Note 5 for a month. I came away pretty happy with The experience with a few caveats, maybe the phone being a tester/demo unit is to blame for some or all.

Switching between apps rapidly would often lead to periods of unresponsive behavior and stutter. This happened quite often because I'm constantly refreshing every app.

The camera app seemed to take a comparatively long time to take a picture, although that might just be influenced by the oddly low frame rate in the camera app in general.

The fingerprint scanner seemed inconsistent, slow and the physical button felt kinda gritty and not great to press.

Would any of these issues be resolved/better on an S6 and on a phone that hasn't been passed around more than my ex?

This is all in comparison to the IPhone 6.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 22, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A brand new s6 or note 5 would be of worse quality than an iPhone 6. They might be better than a used phone, but likely only in cleanliness.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

Would any of these issues be resolved/better on an S6 and on a phone that hasn't been passed around more than my ex?
A Nexus 6P is a better option, it has none of those issues.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The only thing that finally pushed me into considering hopping the fence was Gear VR.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone else have their Bluetooth run away with the battery on Nexus 5x? This has happened to me a few times. Not connected to anything, but Bluetooth is enabled. It just drains the battery.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

A Nexus 6P is a better option, it has none of those issues.

There is a microphone problem where no one can hear you thanks to the software Google made for noise-cancelling:

There's also the glass breaking randomly on the back problem. According to iFixit, the glass on the back of the Nexus 6P is really fragile so some of these cases might not be lies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Is there anywhere I can go to see - like - collected Black Friday phone deals or something? Need a new phone, despite the amazing capabilities of the HTC DESIRE 510

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ThermoPhysical posted:

There is a microphone problem where no one can hear you thanks to the software Google made for noise-cancelling:

There's also the glass breaking randomly on the back problem. According to iFixit, the glass on the back of the Nexus 6P is really fragile so some of these cases might not be lies.

Click bait articles aren't a good indicator of actual significant issues. If there were real problems every idiot on Reddit would be posting about it non-stop.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I make no claims about it being The Perfect Phone, merely that it does not suffer from the three specific problems mentioned in that post: the performance, camera launch speed, and fingerprint scanner are all excellent.

What I will say is that if it has manufacturing issues then those can be resolve by simpling returning it for a new one, unlike problems caused by use of mediocre components or lovely software.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 22, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

SnakePlissken posted:

I don't know why you'd want those things, but Hacker's Keyboard is a full computer keyboard on your phone, including a CTRL button for copy/pasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Grumpwagon posted:

I don't know why you'd want those things, but Hacker's Keyboard is a full computer keyboard on your phone, including a CTRL button for copy/pasting.

It's useful for playing roguelikes like nethack/crawl that are designed for full keyboards on your big phone.