Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

From now on all posts advocating the existence of "Smart" fanservice must include a short paragraph detailing what separates it from "Regular" fanservice and "Stupid" fanservice.

There's only two kinds of fanservice - "Successful" and "Unsuccessful".
Success is measured by the rigidity of my dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Bad Seafood posted:

From now on all posts advocating the existence of "Smart" fanservice must include a short paragraph detailing what separates it from "Regular" fanservice and "Stupid" fanservice.

What you've never seen pictures of steven hawking in a thong?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Pavlov posted:

What you've never seen pictures of steven hawking in a thong?

I haven't. Post them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I'm sorry they're too saucy.

e: Definitely out of this world though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

There's only two kinds of fanservice - "Successful" and "Unsuccessful".
Success is measured by the rigidity of my dick.
I'm sorry for your lack of success in life.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
i'm sorry for your high standards of fan service

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's my high standards for fanservice: if doesn't service me personally, it's bad.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

His and Her Circumstances and Lovely Complex if you're not trying to avoid any comedic elements.

His and Her Circumstances is also a good meta-show about the visible collapse of the anime production process.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

True dat.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

what's some good shows like honey and clover, nodame cantabile, kids on the slope, and your lie in april?

Paradise Kiss
Paradise Kiss
and
Paradise Kiss

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Radio Spiricom posted:

what's some good shows like honey and clover, nodame cantabile, kids on the slope, and your lie in april?

Chihayafuru, the inspiration for our CSS.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch classic college romcom/educational series about bacteria, rotting meat, rotting fish, brewing beers and other booze and so on moyashimon

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Davincie posted:

watch classic college romcom/educational series about bacteria, rotting meat, rotting fish, brewing beers and other booze and so on moyashimon

!!!

Holy crap, I didn't know this existed! This sounds great!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Davincie posted:

I just started watching this and holy poo poo WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU EAT FERMENTED SEAGULL INTESTINES :stonk:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People will eat pretty much anything when their access to essential nutrients is limited.

Moyashimon is a cool series, though I remember not being that enamoured with the second season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
brain baby

baby for a brain

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
To the guy who mentioned Houshin Engi in the first few pages of the thread, a 90s shounen even I had never heard of, thanks for doing so, since I'm eight episodes in and it's actually really good. And surprisingly for a nineties shounen by Deen of all studios, it actually has pretty good animation and art quality.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy poo poo I knew what was happening the moment Fran and the cop lady busted through the barrier on that isolated island but man it just keeps going and it's fantastic

edit: ROLLING WORLD 2 YES

I know I'm close to the end but Franken Fran sure is going out with a bang, splorch, grind, and axe to the face

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 24, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Smart: I love it
Regular: I like it
Stupid: manservice

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Smart Fanservice is like the Smart Bomb from Star Fox 64: it's big, it gets all over the place, and it's always useful in a pinch.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 24, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Namtab posted:

Don't make me force you to accept the beauty of the masculine form namtab.

I'll do it namtab.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Namtab posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Smart Fanservice: "This character has sweet tits, it's a footnote irrelevant to the show at-large".

Regular Fanservice: "Oh hey, a trip to the hotsprings/beach/pool for one episode".

Stupid Fanservice: "THESE GIRLS PRANCING ABOUT IN HALF-NAKED OUTFITS IS KEY AND ESSENTIAL TO THE GRAND DRAMATIC OPUS OF THE PLOT BECAUSE :downswords.:"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Smart Fanservice: "This character has sweet tits, it's a footnote irrelevant to the show at-large".

Regular Fanservice: "Oh hey, a trip to the hotsprings/beach/pool for one episode".

Stupid Fanservice: "THESE GIRLS PRANCING ABOUT IN HALF-NAKED OUTFITS IS KEY AND ESSENTIAL TO THE GRAND DRAMATIC OPUS OF THE PLOT BECAUSE :downswords.:"

What about fanservice in something where the target audience isn't interested in sexy girls?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

so, uh, you're saying that smart fanservice is fanservice, regular fanservice is a fanservice episode, and stupid fanservice is fanservice that is silly or is the anime strike witches

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Giant tiddies!!

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Good fanservice compliments, bad fanservice is intrusive.

Most of the time I just wish it wasn't there to begin with because most of the time it's unnecessary and stuck in for pandering. It's a fine line and most things charge straight over it.

Reds fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 25, 2015

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Reds posted:

Good fanservice compliments, bad fanservice is intrusive.

Most of the time I just wish it wasn't there to begin with because most of the time it's unnecessary and stuck in for pandering. It's a fine line and most things charge straight over it.

What if it's the primary purpose and focus, thus neither complementing nor intruding upon anything?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If I trip and everyone sees my panties what kind of fanservice was it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll need to see your birth certificate before I answer that question.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kenyan fanservice

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is Garo good? pretty much all i know about it is that it's animated by MAPPA (which i hope means that the production value is high) and that the anichart's entry for the currently airing second season includes the tags "shounen" and "action." my current level of interest in it is mostly based on the hope that these two things combined lead to really cool fight sequences.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You should watch the first Tokusatsu series. This is my gate to ask people if anything other than the original Garo TV series is worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvblvDciGyo theme song is really drat good and so is the soundtrack

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ninjewtsu posted:

is Garo good? pretty much all i know about it is that it's animated by MAPPA (which i hope means that the production value is high) and that the anichart's entry for the currently airing second season includes the tags "shounen" and "action." my current level of interest in it is mostly based on the hope that these two things combined lead to really cool fight sequences.

garo season 1 has pretty good highpoints, but it also has some pretty nasty lows. imo it was worth it. i'm not sure about season 2 so far, I only watched 1 episode and it seemed kind of mediocre compared to season 1, but I'm waiting for it to finish to binge watch and judge it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I played the game instead of watching the anime but is there any other cool time travel stuff like Steins;Gate (I think the only one I've seen is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time + I've read Qualia the Purple)

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

I played the game instead of watching the anime but is there any other cool time travel stuff like Steins;Gate (I think the only one I've seen is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time + I've read Qualia the Purple)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have to admit I was hoping for something longer than this but I guess I enjoyed it

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Help Im Alive posted:

Parts of Haruhi deal with time travel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like it's kind of a spoiler but Madoka is the best show you haven't mentioned that involves time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

I have to admit I was hoping for something longer than this but I guess I enjoyed it

haha, I couldn't really think of anything other than haruhi