Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm somewhere between glad that I missed the grogpocalypse and upset that I wasn't there to properly applaud GO's excellent explanation of the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Played Star Realms today and it was baffling how the designers could rip some things off Dominion so shamelessly but then gently caress up buying new cards...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

House Louse posted:

Played Star Realms today and it was baffling how the designers could rip some things off Dominion so shamelessly but then gently caress up buying new cards...

Welcome to pretty much every post-Dominion deckbuilder.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mega64 posted:

Welcome to pretty much every post-Dominion deckbuilder.

Except Valley of the Kings and Eminent Domain. Those two get it right.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Also, Puzzle Strike.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I will also be at the Eugene Games Gala in Eugene Oregon. Quite a few Portland players come down as well. It's a nice con, I've been a few times. Last weekend in January.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, Puzzle Strike.
:hf:

Mage Knight is great, but it's a bit of a genre hodgepodge.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Lorini posted:

I will also be at the Eugene Games Gala in Eugene Oregon. Quite a few Portland players come down as well. It's a nice con, I've been a few times. Last weekend in January.

I might have to come down and hang out!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ETB posted:

I might have to come down and hang out!

Be sure to bring the Nippon game and show it to Lorna (the woman putting on the con), she'll start laughing (I originally got it from her).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

House Louse posted:

So your saying that my deck thinners are nearly a quarter of the market deck, give me money most of the time, draw me cards some of the time, do healthy chunks of damage when played together, combine with most of the biggest defensive cards, and the thinning part is optional so I can always use them for value?

Fair and balanced

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
gently caress Star Realms.

I'm glad I only paid them 5$ for the Ipad version to play more single player missions... until the AI became basically unplayably broken super fast due to starting with stupid broken cards versus the player.

It seems like $10 for a game is a super killer price point, as you can release poo poo games and people will buy them solely for the price point.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
There are some copies of Dilluvia Project for sale in Canada now, have you folks played it any more and had any thoughts? Especially regarding replayability.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Archenteron posted:

So your saying that my deck thinners are nearly a quarter of the market deck, give me money most of the time, draw me cards some of the time, do healthy chunks of damage when played together, combine with most of the biggest defensive cards, and the thinning part is optional so I can always use them for value?

Fair and balanced

I was more saying it was ridiculous that there was one big market deck and five cards at a time to buy, but yeah - as soon as I heard red was the only faction that could trash I decided to go for it.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Won a game of twilight struggle beta that I probably shouldn't have won, though I was so close to an outright win a couple of times. Hitting 19 vp but couldn't put it away. Now If he's holding africa scoring I win, nope. If i draw africa scoring now, I win. Nope. Top of turn 8 if i draw wargames I'll win, otherwise I'm pretty much done as every region is dominated against me at this point. Nope. Headline we will bury you for the hell of it, about to concede even, and then as we were playing asynch he didn't realise WWBY drops defcon.. so he played duck and cover without looking at the defcon track thinking he was safe (edit: this was headlined not AR1, i was behind on space race so I revealed first). Felt a bit bad about winning like that so we started another game. This time I headlined WWBY turn 4 and the 3VP got me over the line for the instant win. Khrushchev is a real bro.

aaand just managed to live the wargames dream in another game. now that they seem to have eliminated the crashes for the most part and improved the interface a lot this beta is gettin real good

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 22, 2015

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Columbia Games seems to haven for a change ~reasonable shipping costs to Europe, and I was eyeing getting Hammer of the Scots finally. Anyone have clue about how good the later Columbia wargames have ended up being? Julius Caesar from 2010 looks like it's been decently liked.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Ayn Randi posted:

Won a game of twilight struggle beta that I probably shouldn't have won, though I was so close to an outright win a couple of times. Hitting 19 vp but couldn't put it away. Now If he's holding africa scoring I win, nope. If i draw africa scoring now, I win. Nope. Top of turn 8 if i draw wargames I'll win, otherwise I'm pretty much done as every region is dominated against me at this point. Nope. Headline we will bury you for the hell of it, about to concede even, and then as we were playing asynch he didn't realise WWBY drops defcon.. so he played duck and cover without looking at the defcon track thinking he was safe (edit: this was headlined not AR1, i was behind on space race so I revealed first). Felt a bit bad about winning like that so we started another game. This time I headlined WWBY turn 4 and the 3VP got me over the line for the instant win. Khrushchev is a real bro.

aaand just managed to live the wargames dream in another game. now that they seem to have eliminated the crashes for the most part and improved the interface a lot this beta is gettin real good

Forgive my ignorance, is there a way to sign up for the beta somewhere, or how are they running that operation? I've only played TS like once and a half IRL and I'd like to get more practice and learning in so I feel more excited to get it to the table.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.
Hey guys, I just want everyone to know that when we were playing Codenames last night my friend gave me the clue "Al Gore, 2." The answers were "Lock," and "Box."

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
My local game store had Codenames for 15 bucks so I picked one up. Whats the best number of people to have play?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Flaggy posted:

My local game store had Codenames for 15 bucks so I picked one up. Whats the best number of people to have play?

You need at least six to get the most out of it

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Flaggy posted:

6 or more is best, but it's still good with 4.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thanks!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I went to a game night event last night and ended up at a Game of Thrones board game table. There was one awful dude at our table that would take at least 15 minutes to take his turns. Right as we approached the 4 hour mark and I started considering flipping the table rather than continue to play this stupid game they announced the raffle winner! Which was me! And I won... a copy of this stupid, stupid never-ending game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ShutteredIn posted:

I went to a game night event last night and ended up at a Game of Thrones board game table. There was one awful dude at our table that would take at least 15 minutes to take his turns. Right as we approached the 4 hour mark and I started considering flipping the table rather than continue to play this stupid game they announced the raffle winner! Which was me! And I won... a copy of this stupid, stupid never-ending game.

How much shipped to 21222?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

All I've ever won at game raffles has been stupid poo poo like Medieval Mastery and Aloha: The Spirit of Hawaii

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Scyther posted:

All I've ever won at game raffles has been stupid poo poo like Medieval Mastery and Aloha: The Spirit of Hawaii

I won a pre-release copy of Half Life (admittedly not a board game), that were good

ShutteredIn posted:

Every game would be dreadful if someone took 15 minutes to take their turn.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Between the last two raffles my GF and I did, we won Imperial Assault, Summoner Wars, Legendary: Predator, and Discoveries (some Lewis and Clark game).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

BeefyTaco posted:

Hey guys, I just want everyone to know that when we were playing Codenames last night my friend gave me the clue "Al Gore, 2." The answers were "Lock," and "Box."

The clue was "Hearts 2" on a full board and it took 5 seconds for me to get "Moon" and "Shot". The other team was wowed at how fast it was.

Someone also gave the clue 9/11 4 for "Jet, New York, Washington, Fire."
I gave the clue

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

dropkickpikachu posted:

Forgive my ignorance, is there a way to sign up for the beta somewhere, or how are they running that operation? I've only played TS like once and a half IRL and I'd like to get more practice and learning in so I feel more excited to get it to the table.

i think beta access was a digital edition kickstarter reward tier

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BeefyTaco posted:

I don't get it.

Playing on Tuesday my spymaster gave us "Eighties, 2". The answers were Europe and Poison.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

ShutteredIn posted:

I played Race for the Galaxy with somebody who has fairly bad AP yesterday.

I will need a few months before wanting to play that again

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

BeefyTaco posted:

I was the clue giver and my clue was BDU: 2 - the words were Solder and Pants. My teammate guessed School because he thought it was a University...

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Oldstench posted:

I was the clue giver and my clue was BDU: 2 - the words were Solder and Pants. My teammate guessed School because he thought it was a University...

That seems pretty reasonable if they don't know what BDU means? Which is pretty common I'd think.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Stories about obscure clues in Codenames are as exciting as hearing about other people's dreams.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Trip reports, whoo!

I played Evolution, Kemet and Argent. All on a table possibly too small for Evolution.

Kemet and argent are absolute tablehogs too, so I'm amazed the games went as well as they did.

Evolution was pretty nice, there's a single deck of traits, there's some food in the middle. You play traits and make new species and make your species fatter/more populous. It was.. Nice? I enjoyed the hour we spent playing it, but I wasn't vying to go back for more afterwards. The rules are definitely easy enough to teach to someone new to boardgaming, but ultimately I'm glad it's not me who payed for this, but I'd play it if someone asked. 7/10 I guess?

Kemet is pretty loving great, the table was definitely too small for this. I had to put all the power tiles on a seperate chair. I came 2nd to someone who copied my strategy!! I explained on the first turn if you went 2/1/0 you could have a power 4 tile on the first day. I raised my white pyramid to 4, the person who eventually came first did the same. I took the mummy, he took Priest of Amon [+5 money each night]. I think the final scores were 8/7/5/5/2, yellow, despite all my encouraging, just turtled in their city and din't really do much of anything, which led to them having 2 in the end. If anyone's got any experience with the expansion I'd be interested.
KEMET IS SUPER GOOD, I honestly wish we'd played another game of it immediately after. But instead we played.

Argent [with its expansion] amazingly the tablespace issue was a bigger problem with Kemet than it was with Argent, a noted tablehog. Argent is without a doubt my favourite worker placement game, it might well by my favourite game, period. It's interactive and you make combos and there's so much stuff which should be ameritrashy as gently caress but it all works so well. As always Level99 games need a technical editor, because I think th FAQ for Argent is several pages long, but ugh. I loving love argent.

We played all of these with 5. Which seemed like a pretty good number for Kemet, and possibly one too many for Argent.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Bottom Liner posted:

Stories about obscure clues in Codenames are as exciting as hearing about other people's dreams.

Empty quote

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Trip reports, whoo!

Kemet and argent are absolute tablehogs too, so I'm amazed the games went as well as they did.

You really don't have to lay out all the tiles, since new players are going to rely on the paper to know what they do anyways. If they know the game, they don't need them laid out anyways.

quote:

Kemet is pretty loving great

Yes, yes it is.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bottom Liner posted:

You really don't have to lay out all the tiles, since new players are going to rely on the paper to know what they do anyways. If they know the game, they don't need them laid out anyways.

It helps to easily be able to know which tiles are gone. I know that you could just look at other people's tiles, but that's more annoying than seeing that it's not on the menu anymore.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bottom Liner posted:

memy posted:

Empty quote

jerk-store: 2

Answers: memy, Bottom Liner.

Sorry - let's get back to "tits in game are are/aren't problematic".

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

ShutteredIn posted:

AP can be particularly painful in Game of Thrones, but the problem is AP, not the game itself. It's a brilliant game under ideal conditions: 6 people who know the rules already and who enjoy both action and negotiation. The more table talk, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gimnbo posted:

It helps to easily be able to know which tiles are gone. I know that you could just look at other people's tiles, but that's more annoying than seeing that it's not on the menu anymore.

Oh yeah, it's definitely better but if you're tight on space you can definitely stack them and make do.