Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Last night I made it all the way to my block without a near miss. But that last street... I crossed, LED flashlight in hand. An old dude in a big BMW made a quick right out of the strip mall, and roared toward me with the clear intention of not stopping for anything to make his right turn onto the main street. Stop sign? Ha! Pedestrian? Pshaw!

Like so many people he began to brake, but then I heard the engine surge and the car leaped forward before stopping again, just before hitting me. And like so many people his face was completely blank as I swore at him and hurried to get out of the way. Nothing registered. As soon as I was clear his car leapt forward again, almost smashing into the traffic on the main street that had been stopped dead since before he even pulled out of the strip mall.

But boy did he need to almost kill me in his rush to sit at the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I hate BMW drivers.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Had some nut in an Acura TL go off on me while headed home on the highway tonight. Apparently he was the official highway pace car and wouldn't let me pass, but when I let him get ahead and changed lanes behind him he'd slow waaaay down until I changed lanes to pass again at which point he floored it and took off again. I was eventually able to get around him, at which point he started aggressively tailgating me for a few miles until he settled in as an obvious tail - changing lanes whenever I did, following me onto and then back out of an exit lane, etc.

I tested both ideas pf recording someone with your phone and driving to the police station when faced with a road-raging rear end in a top hat - I pulled into the police department parking lot and he tried to box me in by blasting up the other side of the lot and pulled in front of me and got out of his car. I rolled my window down and showed him my phone and asked if he was aware we were in a police station parking lot (I don't think he did at first), and I had ~15 minutes of footage of him following me (while actively trying to lose him) for about 12 miles and his entire demeanor changed from "guy about to kick your rear end" to "oh, I wasn't following you - I was headed this way anyways and just wanted to 'set the record straight.'"

Regarding "going this way anyways/not following you home" - when we both left the parking lot he tried really hard to stay behind me and ended up going back the way he came, so yeah, he was definitely trying to follow me home.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

lookslikerain posted:

Parked my car, was still sitting in it when some moron in a Passat reversed into it. And then sped off like nobody saw. Got your plates motherfucker, reported etc etc.

Mounting looks cracked (in the dark, I'll check again tomorrow) so probably new bumper.

You can easily recreate the tabs, never in a million years is that a replacement cover.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bovril Delight posted:

You can easily recreate the tabs, never in a million years is that a replacement cover.

It is if the other guy's insurance is covering it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

It is if the other guy's insurance is covering it.

They wouldn't replace it either. It doesn't warrant a replacement.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I hate New Jersey but being able to set my cruise to 75 and hang out in the truck lanes on the Turnpike is fantastic.

Now that I've been in Connecticut for a day, I immediately saw all the dumbasses again. Came up to an intersection where a cop had someone pulled over blocking half the lane, and just past that some cyclists riding 4 wide and taking up the whole lane. I'm also laughing at all the "3 feet!" Signs on roads that are not wide enough to have an actual shoulder.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I discussed a terrible road here where the bike lane is squeezed into regular traffic every intersection so every ~500m so people ride in the main lane blocking everybody. I encountered a new one there this morning, a cyclist riding the wrong way down the bike lane. I came face to face with him at the intersection and had to slam on my brakes, and he just swerved around me and hopped onto the sidewalk anyways.

He was riding as if he had the right of way, and the laws of physics would side with him when he met 6000lbs of steel.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Drove with a buddy who just got his license last night and I just about strangled him. He drove way too cautiously. Every time he had right of way, he would just wait for the other guy to go, even when the other guy had a stop sign. It was maddening. I really hope he snaps out of the 'No, you first' new driver mentality soon.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 22, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Powershift posted:

I discussed a terrible road here where the bike lane is squeezed into regular traffic every intersection so every ~500m so people ride in the main lane blocking everybody. I encountered a new one there this morning, a cyclist riding the wrong way down the bike lane. I came face to face with him at the intersection and had to slam on my brakes, and he just swerved around me and hopped onto the sidewalk anyways.

He was riding as if he had the right of way, and the laws of physics would side with him when he met 6000lbs of steel.

There truly are idiots using every mode of transportation.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Despite the days getting shorter I still see a lot of people driving either without lights, or with at least one busted headlight or taillight.

Worst was earlier this week though: Guy driving with two busted headlights(one fully dark), one busted taillight, and both front and rear fogs on to compensate for it somehow. Drove like an rear end in a top hat too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Still don't understand why daytime running lights aren't mandatory in the USA. Or why people in San Francisco don't understand using lights in the fog.

One of the most terrifying driving moments of my life was driving along a completely socked-in ridgeline road at dusk, and having a fog-gray Prius suddenly appear out of the fog fifty feet in front of me, heading towards me with no lights on, halfway across the line.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Sagebrush posted:

Still don't understand why daytime running lights aren't mandatory in the USA. Or why people in San Francisco don't understand using lights in the fog.

One of the most terrifying driving moments of my life was driving along a completely socked-in ridgeline road at dusk, and having a fog-gray Prius suddenly appear out of the fog fifty feet in front of me, heading towards me with no lights on, halfway across the line.

I don't like drl for the reason that so many fuckers don't realise their taillights aren't on. And don't bother to switch from drl to low beams because the drl is the low beams just with none of the lights required after dark.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Deedle posted:

I don't like drl for the reason that so many fuckers don't realise their taillights aren't on. And don't bother to switch from drl to low beams because the drl is the low beams just with none of the lights required after dark.

Same.

Then again last night I was driving toward Liberty Avenue in Pittsburgh, a Prius was waiting at a light near me, no lights on at all. I yelled "Hey your lights aren't on" to the driver, and they just shrugged.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I wish all lights were always on.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
My VW has DRLs, but the gauges won't light up unless the headlights are on. Makes sense; if its too dark to see the gauges its too dark to drive without your headlights.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sleepy.eyes posted:

My VW has DRLs, but the gauges won't light up unless the headlights are on. Makes sense; if its too dark to see the gauges its too dark to drive without your headlights.

That works with old style gauges, but many modern gauges aren't really visible without being lit. On my subaru, the dash lights actually dim when you turn on the lights. It is a stupid styling choice, but reality.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I can turn the DLRs on my car on and off!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nm posted:

I wish all lights were always on.

me irl

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
DRLs aren't bright enough to be very useful or noticeable in the day down here in San Antonio. Glare off of hoods is brighter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DRL's are loving awesome on rural roads though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
DLRs are always awesome. There is no downside at all. Even if it on occasion happens to be too bright to see the front facing ones, it will do so much to keep morons from driving with no lights on when it gets darker / bad weather.

It was pretty bad in Germany when I drove through. So much rain and water spray from the cars that often you'd only see floating windshields. I did actually put my fog light on there, because even decent rear lights didn't show up until it was too close.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

MrOnBicycle posted:

There is no downside at all.

Research suggests that the use of DRLs negates the safety improvements that came from mandating motorcycles run a headlight 24/7.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Give motorcycles exclusive use of selective yellow. Boom, done.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Brigdh posted:

Research suggests that the use of DRLs negates the safety improvements that came from mandating motorcycles run a headlight 24/7.

Fair enough, but the amount of motorcycles on the roads are probably pretty insignificant compared to the amount of cars on the road.

Also, you can't just have front DLRs.

VVVV: Can't as in it's silly to just require people to have front facing DLRs, while having no lights on at the back.
At least here that results in people having no clue that they don't have any lights on at the rear. The EU started requiring DLRs in 2008 or something, but only front facing ones, which is "overriding" our local laws which says that having low-beams / rear lights on is mandatory at all time. In fact, all cars sold here have been wired so that you can't turn the lights off while the ignition is on.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 22, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Why not? I do

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrOnBicycle posted:

Fair enough, but the amount of motorcycles on the roads are probably pretty insignificant compared to the amount of cars on the road.

VVVV: Can't as in it's silly to just require people to have front facing DLRs, while having no lights on at the back.
At least here that results in people having no clue that they don't have any lights on at the rear. The EU started requiring DLRs in 2008 or something, but only front facing ones, which is "overriding" our local laws which says that having low-beams / rear lights on is mandatory at all time. In fact, all cars sold here have been wired so that you can't turn the lights off while the ignition is on.

It's the same in Canada. I really wish DRLs included the rear lights, because it seems like 90% of people don't realize that the point of turning your lights on isn't just so you, personally, can see what's ahead of you, it's so people all around you have a better chance of seeing your car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Most cars at least have the option now of having auto-on headlights. Just make it non-optional, and so that they can't be switched off. If it's dark and your car is in gear (or running, or whatever), then your normal running lights come on, and the high-beams always default to off so that they must be manually turned on every time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My car has auto-on headlights, but I always turn them on manually during poor weather because I'm not sure if it's actually dark enough to trip the sensor and I don't want to leave it to chance. I usually switch from automatic to full-on when driving at night, just to be sure (and to make sure, if I'm driving a vehicle without automatic headlights, that I always remember to turn the lights on).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Brigdh posted:

Research, or a bunch of bikers who think a car on jackstands with it's engine removed and disassembled to the component level still somehow reduces the relative safety of motorcyclists?

I mean, you guys say this literally every time the topic comes up and I've never seen anyone link to one of these alleged studies showing putting DRLs on cars is like committing genocide...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sleepy.eyes posted:

Drove with a buddy who just got his license last night and I just about strangled him. He drove way too cautiously. Every time he had right of way, he would just wait for the other guy to go, even when the other guy had a stop sign. It was maddening. O really hope he snaps out of the 'No, you first' new driver mentality soon.

I had two lanes out of three stop the other day to "let" me turn left across a major arterial road from a parking lot. Neither of them seemed to understand why I wouldn't go across.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had two lanes out of three stop the other day to "let" me turn left across a major arterial road from a parking lot. Neither of them seemed to understand why I wouldn't go across.

I can't wait to watch somebody die on the way home from work for this exact loving reason :smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They always get really indignant about it, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OhsH posted:

I can't wait to watch somebody die on the way home from work for this exact loving reason :smith:

I have watched someone get T-boned doing that exact thing at that exact intersection. Luckily the guy who hit him had his wits about him and was in the brakes hard, so neither of them was injured.

Traffic backs up a good way approaching the freeway so all these idiots think they're being so loving courteous. In reality, if they'd just go, the road would've been clear.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Geoj posted:

Research, or a bunch of bikers who think a car on jackstands with it's engine removed and disassembled to the component level still somehow reduces the relative safety of motorcyclists?

I mean, you guys say this literally every time the topic comes up and I've never seen anyone link to one of these alleged studies showing putting DRLs on cars is like committing genocide...

I'm not putting much effort into this based on your reputation, but here is a 2008 study from NHTSA that I found in 5 seconds which suggests there is an impact, but is reluctant to call it conclusive: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Crash%20Avoidance/Technical%20Publications/2011/811504.pdf

Let me know when you decide to claim the NHTSA is secretly a motorcyclist lobbying group.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm 300+ posts behind on this thread, so not sure if this has been posted before, but I thought it was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCwlV_94kPE

The vehicle seems to be this guy: http://www.warren.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=4461. It's for transporting part of our nuclear arsenal, the Minuteman missile. There's a bit of a debate about whether the transport was real or a practice run.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Brigdh posted:

...which suggests there is an impact, but is reluctant to call it conclusive: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Crash%20Avoidance/Technical%20Publications/2011/811504.pdf

This changes things - I agree, based on this inconclusive study we should immediately ban DRLs on all vehicles with >3 wheels.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It seems sort of like the same nonsensical idea behind "baby on board" signs: like I was going to drive recklessly and/or hit you, but now I won't because it would be extra-inconsiderate. If I can see you, I'm going to do my absolute best not to hit you, no matter how many wheels your vehicle has or if you're a pedestrian. Ergo, increased visibility is good for all road users. If I see a light coming toward me, I'm going to avoid it, regardless of what manner of conveyance it happens to be attached to.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Sagebrush posted:

Give motorcycles exclusive use of selective yellow. Boom, done.
Screw that, I like my front fog lights in selective yellow. It makes the road markings that much easier to see when visibility is under 50 metres.

Not to mention that a 2CV with white headlights is sacrilegious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera recording at the time, but today I passed a dog driving a car.

Or, to put it more precisely, a woman driving down the freeway while holding a rather large dog on her lap. She had to crane her neck off to one side to see past the dog's head. :psyduck: