Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That explains why I never did it before!

E:

I guess I could form Prussia first and then convert but that's going to be even more of a pain in the rear end.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thats the only time I've ever seen Castile actually inherit Burgundy

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Why is he constantly recalling and resending his diplomats?

I think this has since been fixed, but it used to be that diplomats increased relations once when they arrived, and then another time at the start of every month. So by juggling them actively you could get more relations faster

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How exactly does the Papal States work now if you switch religion? I mean that video from DDRJake is kinda old.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Haven't played single player in a while but decided to try to go for the Trebizond achievement. It was going well but QQ attacked me and Muscovy and my vassal Crimea are just sitting there refusing to help. I have military access with Lithuania and Genoa so it's not that. Tried everything I could think of to get Crimea attached and don't know where I'd start with Muscovy. I know the AI used to lock up but I restarted it a few times and still nothing. I have a feeling that if I had taken a direct border with Muscovy through the Golden Horde they wouldn't be doing nothing? Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to wake them up?

It would be pretty frustrating to have to start over because of allied AI since this is the best run I've had out of probably ~30 restarts.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 22, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Larry Parrish posted:

that white lettering is loving horrendous hth

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

that white lettering is loving horrendous hth

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wafflecopper posted:

that entire map mod is loving horrendous hth

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Try reloading the game, sometimes that fixes the dumb broken AI

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yashichi posted:

Try reloading the game, sometimes that fixes the dumb broken AI

Trujillo posted:

I know the AI used to lock up but I restarted it a few times and still nothing.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

If Golden Horde has no dangerous allies, you could DoW them and get military access for Muscovy that way. Figured that might be it?

Xael
Apr 23, 2010
Edit: nvm, thought Muscovy was a vassal as well for some reason.

Xael fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 22, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

THE BAR posted:

If Golden Horde has no dangerous allies, you could DoW them and get military access for Muscovy that way. Figured that might be it?

Yeah I have a 8 year truce with them and my AE is on the verge of getting me coalitioned but I'll probably have to break it. Thanks for the tips.

Ignoring Muscovy though, even if my non rebellious vassal Crimea would attach to me I could have a chance at winning without Muscovy. Any ideas there? I put them on supportive and aggressive and moved armies of all sizes on top of them with set to attach checked but they don't move.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 22, 2015

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

The Spanish Empire grew so quickly out of so much good timing that it's nearly if not actually impossible to model with EU4's mechanics.

Jesus loving Christ Paradox needs to fix the AI's stupid-rear end peace agreement logic 75% war score and Austria lets Great Britain take keep Scandinavia under a PU for war reparations and less than 100 gold. War reparations aren't even worth poo poo.

:negative:

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 22, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just westernized as Bengal and naturally Spain instantly rivaled me and they're the only country in the world I can rival, is there a point to it? It'd only make them hate me instead of merely strongly dislike me and give me an amazing 5 rival points and I'm not ever even going to reach 25pp with one rival.

Deport The Irish posted:

The Spanish Empire grew so quickly out of so much good timing that it's nearly if not actually impossible to model with EU4's mechanics.
Be glad it's impossible, in the game they would be 100% stable and never lose anything unless they got into massive coalition wars plus the Ottoman and everyone took some land in the peace treaties.

By the way, do coalition wars have a strong preference to returning cores and releasing nations? It feels like there should be, also at a discount since the CB is supposed to counter blobs, right?

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Poil posted:

By the way, do coalition wars have a strong preference to returning cores and releasing nations? It feels like there should be, also at a discount since the CB is supposed to counter blobs, right?

Based on my personal experience, this depends entirely on the coalition leader. If your lovely local-power rival kicks things off, he wants those three garbars 1/1/1 border provinces and will happily send everyone home, deciding you've been properly punished. More distant parties or countries who otherwise aren't interested in your area of the world will demand releases and returns.

Poil posted:

Be glad it's impossible, in the game they would be 100% stable and never lose anything unless they got into massive coalition wars plus the Ottoman and everyone took some land in the peace treaties.

F'real. I was more commenting that actual factual satisfactual Spain managed to play its cards so well Power Fantasy Imperialism Simulator 2015 is like "no, that breaks the very fabric of reality." The same Power Fantasy Imperialism Simulator 2015 that makes it possible for Byzantium to turn the tides on Ottomans in the 1440s.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Brittany has a colony in South America. It has +35 settlers from technology, -20 from treaty of tortillas, -30 quarantine for a total of -15 growth but it's still growing quickly. Is the AI cheating with the colonist percentage? It's growing like crazy.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Poil posted:

Brittany has a colony in South America. It has +35 settlers from technology, -20 from treaty of tortillas, -30 quarantine for a total of -15 growth but it's still growing quickly. Is the AI cheating with the colonist percentage? It's growing like crazy.
If they have a colonist there, the colony will still get spurts of growth from that, even if there is a steady trickle downwards from modifiers.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The quarantine is only a temporary event too, so most of the time they'll be at +15 even without the colonist.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

'
:toot:

Ofaloaf posted:

If they have a colonist there, the colony will still get spurts of growth from that, even if there is a steady trickle downwards from modifiers.
It was only at 30%. About 100 extra a year(?) but it increased by way more than that.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Poil posted:

'
:toot:

It was only at 30%. About 100 extra a year(?) but it increased by way more than that.

It's not an extra % each year. It's a % each month for the colony to increase by 25 extra people that month. It's huge.

e: I, uh, play this game too much too.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Poil posted:

Probably got lucky with the colonist chance or got an event giving them extra population in the colony.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dibujante posted:

It's not an extra % each year. It's a % each month for the colony to increase by 25 extra people that month. It's huge.
I know it's per month, but

YF-23 posted:

Probably got lucky with the colonist chance or got an event giving them extra population in the colony.
The AI seems to always get "lucky" with the colonist chance and grow their colonies really fast.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stacking production efficiency is a great way to grow colonies quickly, because every 10% PE translates to 1% better settler chances. That includes PE from advisers, events, and the +20% you get from being ahead of time in admin tech.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Poil posted:

I know it's per month, but

The AI seems to always get "lucky" with the colonist chance and grow their colonies really fast.

Sounds like confirmation bias to me. At the very least I haven't personally noticed abnormal behaviour for AI colonies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

This isn't Civ 5, the only place where the AI is allowed to cheat, I believe, is ignoring other stacks' attrition and having free relation slots for players. Lucky nations is something else.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AIs also get vastly reduced chances of native risings in their colonies, since they don't know to garrison them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought the AI just didn't get any native uprisings at all. Hmmm, if you have land access and move 1 infantry onto their colony can the natives rise up from it and trash the place after killing your unit?

YF-23 posted:

Sounds like confirmation bias to me. At the very least I haven't personally noticed abnormal behaviour for AI colonies.
Yeah it probably is just that. But it's so hard to really trust it.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 22, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

AIs also get vastly reduced chances of native risings in their colonies, since they don't know to garrison them.

Well I'll be.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE BAR posted:

This isn't Civ 5, the only place where the AI is allowed to cheat, I believe, is ignoring other stacks' attrition and having free relation slots for players. Lucky nations is something else.

Ugh I had a feeling this was the case. I just love when the AI clowncars onto one of my forts with a multinational army that's 4-5x bigger than the province's supply limit.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Poil posted:

I just westernized as Bengal and naturally Spain instantly rivaled me and they're the only country in the world I can rival, is there a point to it? It'd only make them hate me instead of merely strongly dislike me and give me an amazing 5 rival points and I'm not ever even going to reach 25pp with one rival.

As soon as you westernize, you become an excellent rival candidate for everyone in Europe based on your relatively large development level and tech group. I play in SEA a lot so I've kind of picked up on the technique of raising most big euro countries to 100 relations by the time westernization completes. Otherwise you end up with like 5 European great powers rivaling you right off the bat.

Rivaling Spain won't do much but it might help you make friends with Spain's rivals. And Spain is never going to like you or unrival you.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It kind of sucked for my Ayutthaya that once you westernize, Ming is no longer a valid rival. They're still my main military concern - beating the Europeans is comparatively easy!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Ugh I had a feeling this was the case. I just love when the AI clowncars onto one of my forts with a multinational army that's 4-5x bigger than the province's supply limit.

It was actually a bug that's been fixed.

The AI doesn't get a free relationship slot for the player either IIRC, they just hold one empty usually. They do take no naval attrition though, in addition to what Pitt said.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ai-cheats-facts-and-misunderstandings.713856/

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Poil posted:

You might as well. You can probably privateer Sevilla for a lot of PP and cash, and it will provide you with minor benefits if you war with them. Which, in my experience, is an inevitability as a non-European. They will have something you want eventually.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Well my Knights game marches on and the entire Catholic world hates my guts aside from freaking Burgundy. I've pissed off the Pope because when I started colonizing Central America and the Caribbean as my new home continent the freaking Treaty of Varsielles sectioned off all of my possible colonial points for the other European colonizers even though I was there first. So now I'm taking a hit to all of my colonial efforts because of situations like France having one colony in Colombia and claiming the rest even though they haven't picked up another colonial province in forever. I became the curia controller but the Papal State is actualy allied with every target that I want to Excommunicate. I originally planned on heading back and taking the Ottomans apart in the mid 1600's (they are very strong now, not a single European power has attempted an offensive war against the Ottomans since the beginning of the game and no one else is in any position to stop them) , but now I also want to cut the Pope down to size for bungling up my plans.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The bug where colonists suddenly take 601 days to reach any province is really annoying and it's coming up very frequently in my Bengal game. :sigh:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I might need some help since some of the older tricks I know don't seem to work. I want to do a quick Gothic run and spread that glorious Theodoro colour all over Germany.

My current plan was to day zero non-CB DoW East Frisia and move evacuate the rather dangerous Crimean peninsula. This doesn't work because of coring ranges, AE, and lovely Genoa being a oval office.
Anyone have a good idea how I could move my capital into the HRE and culture swap into the Germanic group as Theodoro?

vvvvv All the land needed for the achievement is gonna be Germanic culture group, so might as well switch and profit early. I did try the Ragusa way to join the HRE (in fact my current best game is there, I control Crimea, Constantinople, Ragus and partially Venice trade nodes now). It just seems slow and starting in East Frisia seems quicker.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 23, 2015

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

So I might need some help since some of the older tricks I know don't seem to work. I want to do a quick Gothic run and spread that glorious Theodoro colour all over Germany.

My current plan was to day zero non-CB DoW East Frisia and move evacuate the rather dangerous Crimean peninsula. This doesn't work because of coring ranges, AE, and lovely Genoa being a oval office.
Anyone have a good idea how I could move my capital into the HRE and culture swap into the Germanic group as Theodoro?

Ragusa is closer and can get you into the HRE. Converting to German culture from there won't be easy but I'm not sure you really need to. Gothic is cooler anyway

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I have ~650 hours on this game and this is the first time I'm actually completing a campaign.

My goal is to own all of Italy, Iberia and the French region by the end. Leon is my vassal and I'm integrating them, so all that really remains is to kick England off continental Europe. I also dismantled the HRE just for the achievement.

In some ways Austira being in a PU under Russia has been helpful, because the 200 AE I've racked up with them don't matter at all and nobody else is strong enough to dare form a coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

vvvvv All the land needed for the achievement is gonna be Germanic culture group, so might as well switch and profit early. I did try the Ragusa way to join the HRE (in fact my current best game is there, I control Crimea, Constantinople, Ragus and partially Venice trade nodes now). It just seems slow and starting in East Frisia seems quicker.

Gothic is a Germanic culture, no swapping is necessary.

• Locked thread