Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Boco_T posted:

ORAT comes out of his 3 byes to be defeated on Affinity by WHITE BLUE HATE BEARS featuring heavy hitters like Meddling Mage and Judge's Familiar.
You're saying this like Meddling Mage isn't already a good legacy playable card and Judge's Familiar... okay Judge's Familiar is a bit eh but a force spiking flying man is exactly what a deck could want, don't hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Did you guys see Huey kick my rear end with Storm on stream? That's the only match I lost today though...

Did you side out the pyroclasms on game 2? They were talking on the stream like you did.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

kizudarake posted:

Well, a shitlord-filled semi-local store/minor online retailer Legitmtg.com, formerly known as The Lotus Guardian before they bought the brand from the previous owner, got burgled of all the cards in its display case a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/LegitMTG/status/666304369365749760

I wouldn't pity them much, they sell played (not lightly played) cards as near mint online, had been broken into previously and never got an alarm or camera system, and have a local reputation of sanctioning tournaments during the day in the middle of the week that somehow manage to get enough people to keep up their store status even though you can't fit 32 people in the store at once.

FYI, LegitMTG was started by Jon Medina, the guy who used to write finance articles for SCG, was the original big speculator that's responsible for the current wave of speculators, and started the first pack to power series of articles where he showed people how to make extremely dishonest and lopsided trades to screw over people who don't know better. Also he cheated on his wife and made a big show of it with a public apology to the Magic community.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

kizudarake posted:

They poo poo up their original brand, and bought it and the business off of J Medina in 2013.

Also, holy poo poo, this article on the legitmtg site. Either he has totally played at the actual physical store, or he hasn't, and thought the players there would care.

http://legitmtg.com/culture/bullying-in-magic-the-gathering-community/

He makes an effort to include the girlfriend in his profile pic.

0/10

Ultima66 posted:

FYI, LegitMTG was started by Jon Medina, the guy who used to write finance articles for SCG, was the original big speculator that's responsible for the current wave of speculators, and started the first pack to power series of articles where he showed people how to make extremely dishonest and lopsided trades to screw over people who don't know better. Also he cheated on his wife and made a big show of it with a public apology to the Magic community.

That's funny you mention the cheating on the wife and extremely dishonest trades that cause I checked his twitter to see if he had anything to say on the break in and it's actually full of #Christianity, bible quotes and general pro-Christian stuff. Seems a bit of a turn around there aye.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 22, 2015

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

logis posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/magic/v/26964646
Think he's at 4:51:33 or so with Tron, which is the best. except in a matchup like that... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mix and match chronicles and 9th edition lands. :ughh: Poor choice of basic forest imo as well.

But not much could have been done there. Storm is just a bad matchup for tron. Back when seething song was still legal I lost a game 2 from 32 life just from grapeshots.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So I just got a PC and installed MTGO immediately because I wanted to turn some virtual cardboard sideways. Turns out, MTGO misreads my screen's resolution or something, and the PLAY button on the lobby menu is always below the bottom edge of the screen. Always. I tried loving with the settings, but there are not settings. Holy poo poo.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

So I just got a PC and installed MTGO immediately because I wanted to turn some virtual cardboard sideways. Turns out, MTGO misreads my screen's resolution or something, and the PLAY button on the lobby menu is always below the bottom edge of the screen. Always. I tried loving with the settings, but there are not settings. Holy poo poo.

MODO!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

logis posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/magic/v/26964646
Think he's at 4:51:33 or so with Tron, which is the best. except in a matchup like that... Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have to get an audio grab of Mashall saying "Oh poor Mike Cohen!" When Huey started going off game 1. Lolol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GoutPatrol posted:

Did you side out the pyroclasms on game 2? They were talking on the stream like you did.

I SB'd 1 of my 3 out. Still had 2 in but never saw them. I also boarded out the Ugin's but I really think that is correct... It's usually just nonsense against him.... Obviously would've been nice that game though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

What deck is this?

Here is the Standard version of the deck. Fabiano's Modern version is U/W, run 4 Time Warps, 4 Temporal Mastery (and a bunch of Telling Time/Serum Visions to ensure the Miracle Trigger), and 4 Temporal Trespass for extra turn cards and Celestial Colonnades as the win condition. (No wrath effects which I think is a mistake, but yeah.)

He got blown out by a turn 2 5/5 boggle game 1 and a Gaddock Teeg game 2 right before he was about to go infinite.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 22, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

He makes an effort to include the girlfriend in his profile pic.

0/10

That's funny you mention the cheating on the wife and extremely dishonest trades that cause I checked his twitter to see if he had anything to say on the break in and it's actually full of #Christianity, bible quotes and general pro-Christian stuff. Seems a bit of a turn around there aye.

Medina left magic altogether in 2013, per his last article on legitmtg before he sold it to a store from hours away, so I don't know why he would even know.

Ultima66 posted:

So the originator of the brand was a shitlord, too? As long as he sent cards out on time at a reasonable price, and they were the grading level that he claimed they were, I think the store would have a good reputation.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I hate seeing Amulet Bloom on the stream. I hate it with my life.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Boco_T posted:

Just say Modern, we know what you mean

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Boco_T posted:

Amulet Bloom is cool and good :colbert:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Boco_T posted:

Agreed. I hate playing against it too, it's probably the least interactive deck in modern. Somewhat comparable to storm in legacy, but at least legacy has cards to minimize the risk of losing to storm so easily.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
good luck to mcmagic, sincerely

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Agreed. I hate playing against it too, it's probably the least interactive deck in modern. Somewhat comparable to storm in legacy, but at least legacy has cards to minimize the risk of losing to storm so easily.

Unironically reprint Force of Will for Modern, but that's me.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

Unironically reprint Force of Will for Modern, but that's me.

Without brainstorm this probably wouldn't be as bad as anticipated but it'd still take playing against twin from fine to absolutely miserable. There's so many fun cards in legacy, it's sad it isn't supported more. We only scrounged up 5 players for legacy night last week and it's even 75 card proxy.

Edit; I'll accept FoW in modern if I can have Mom in modern too

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Without brainstorm this probably wouldn't be as bad as anticipated but it'd still take playing against twin from fine to absolutely miserable. There's so many fun cards in legacy, it's sad it isn't supported more. We only scrounged up 5 players for legacy night last week and it's even 75 card proxy.

I think the thing about FoW that most people don't appreciate is that the cost to make it free turns it into a very 'fair' card IMO, and as you say with Brainstorm not legal it's difficult to counteract that loss of card advantage as quickly.

Plus, if nothing else it would give Wizards a look at how a format with Force but no Brainstorm plays out, and how that could affect Legacy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Please reprint and allow FOW in modern. I have extras of it that are sitting around unused. Also this means Jund/RUB control get better with thought seizes. :evilbuddy:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
UB Faeries is 11-0

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

UB Fairies 11-0 :wow:

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Is there a metagame breakdown yet? Interested to see how many Bloom players there are.

I hope that if a ban is incoming the whole deck isn't killed off. It is my first actual foray into Modern, after the Pod ban stopped me building Melira Pod. Taking away Summer Bloom would slow the deck enough to stop the T2 pseudo-kill away but not kill it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Frozen_flame posted:

Is there a metagame breakdown yet? Interested to see how many Bloom players there are.

I hope that if a ban is incoming the whole deck isn't killed off. It is my first actual foray into Modern, after the Pod ban stopped me building Melira Pod. Taking away Summer Bloom would slow the deck enough to stop the T2 pseudo-kill away but not kill it.

I could see a Summer Bloom ban.

Seems like everyone, coverage included, starts groaning when it shows up.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Frozen_flame posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppit15/day-2-metagame-breakdown-2015-11-22

Here's the day 2 breakdown.

EDIT: 1 copy of blood dragon!? what the gently caress is that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Samael posted:

EDIT: 1 copy of blood dragon!? what the gently caress is that

well i googled it and found this http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dredging-blood-dragon/ but that's a legacy deck, so maybe it's some kind of knock-off of it?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

reprint force spike in modern

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

If they ban anything but summer bloom or Azusa, the deck is half dead. If they ban Azusa, they deck is even more swingy.

Ban bloom, replace with explore.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Maybe Blood Dragon is Skred? That's a deck that generally will have Stormbreath Dragon and Blood Moon. I also see one copy of "White Blue Aggro" which I bet is the Hatebears deck that beat Owen on stream yesterday.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think if you're setting out to tone down its explosiveness without outright killing the deck, Simian Spirit guide is a good target; that card is never going to do anything fair ever, and now you've cut off the turn one kill, and just generally slowed things down. Otherwise you could maybe target Hive Mind so it has to win through the red zone.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think if you're setting out to tone down its explosiveness without outright killing the deck, Simian Spirit guide is a good target; that card is never going to do anything fair ever, and now you've cut off the turn one kill, and just generally slowed things down. Otherwise you could maybe target Hive Mind so it has to win through the red zone.

Banning SSG also significantly hurts the Fair And Interactive combo deck Grishoalbrand, which does reasonable things like win on T1 or T2 through the aid of SSG.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Amulet bloom runs, typically, 1 SSG, and it's easy to win T2 without it, whereas if bloom was banned, you could maybe see a T3 win off SSG in that environment.

E: ban both so grishoalbrand is hosed too, job done.

Unban bloodbraid.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

mehall posted:

Unban bloodbraid.

"No"

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

*looking into camera, mugging a lil for all the blogs I'm about to be in* reprint force of will, AND ban twin

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Banning a card under the premise of hurting bloom but not killing it is silly. It's doable, but it's silly. I think you either blow the deck out of the water(by banning literally any key card) or leave it be.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Elyv posted:

Banning a card under the premise of hurting bloom but not killing it is silly. It's doable, but it's silly. I think you either blow the deck out of the water(by banning literally any key card) or leave it be.

They try to avoid that except where it's literally the key card.

See: Birthing Pod (key card)
Vs the Seething Song ban (if you want to kill storm, ban storm cards)

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Let's just ban everything except generic bears.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Amulet Bloom is cool and good :colbert:

amulet bloom is the best deck in modern if you can cheat and pick your 7 :tem:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mehall posted:

Unban bloodbraid.

BBE is a known quantity and I don't think Wizards particularly wants it back. Not because of power level reasons (though, BBE + KCommand :stare: ), but because BBE warps the way you construct your deck in some pretty unhealthy ways.

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
If anything needs to lose key cards, it's affinity and Twin. Twin at 12.1 percent of the metagame and affinity at 10.4? That's almost a quarter of the field on day 2.

• Locked thread