Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Crow_Robot posted:

I'm not sure I'd describe Thor and Hulk's powers as easy to understand.

I mean easy to understand in sense that, if you see them in action you go: "whoah! that dude can fly / fart lightning / SMASH!"

VS

Normal looking rear end in a top hat, who has regular looking people following / helping him. No visual indication of powers and the mind-controlled people are indistinguishable from regular people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I've never seen Agents of Shield but I think it's in one of the movies too where they mention how something is new territory since it's not related to Asgardian technology.

And yeah I get how Kilgrave's powers might be more difficult to accept, but after everything else in the MCU (at least up through Avengers 1) it seems silly that law enforcement of all things wouldn't at least entertain/look into the idea.

The idea that SHIELD wouldn't look into a man with that sort of power is also silly as previously mentioned, but I most definitely can't fault Jessica Jones for not including that as a plot line. It's just an inherent problem with fitting so many different products into one larger universe. It would be funny if there was a throwaway line in Agents of SHIELD about how they really missed the boat on taking care of Kilgrave.

Speaking of which, should I try Agents of SHIELD?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How would they hear about him ? He makes people do horrific things and then relies on that to keep them quiet because no one is going to believe them when they say they weren't in control. He doesn't have any world conquering plans because he can have anything he wants. It also makes perfect sense that Kilgrave isn't running around making a bunch of attention for himself when he knows that there are other gifted individuals like the Avengers etc.. It also makes sense why someone wouldn't want to call the Avengers or anyone else who was gifted after him because of the chance he'd mind control them.

Avengers " We'll Stop you Kilgrave!!!"

Kilgrave " Okay every body here murder gently caress each other to death last one standing get's to be my super human body guard"

The End.

He's not classic comics evil with plans to take over the world.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 22, 2015

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Hollismason posted:

How would they hear about him ? He makes people do horrific things and then relies on that to keep them quiet because no one is going to believe them when they say they weren't in control. He doesn't have any world conquering plans because he can have anything he wants. It also makes perfect sense that Kilgrave isn't running around making a bunch of attention for himself when he knows that there are other gifted individuals like the Avengers etc.. It also makes sense why someone wouldn't want to call the Avengers or anyone else who was gifted after him because of the chance he'd mind control them.

Kilgrave " Okay every body here murder gently caress each other to death last one standing get's to be my super human body guard"

The End.

Kilgrave is not shown to be a particularly clever fellow. Even if he had hid himself up until the point Trish did her radio broadcast, that should've set off alarm bells for SHIELD. And no one is saying to send in the Avengers, just send in some low level agents. It would literally just take one of them with ear plugs.

Even if they did send in the Avengers they could just wear earplugs!

Kilgrave's power is not exactly difficult to get around.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hollismason posted:

The End.

You mean, they would do a reenactment of A Serbian Film? :stonk:

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Crow_Robot posted:

Speaking of which, should I try Agents of SHIELD?
The first half of the first season is garbage. It establishes the characters so I guess it's worth powering through, but it later came out that they were really, really restricted in what kind of stories they could tell for fear of spoiling Cap 2, so what came out was very generic and static. After that though, it got pretty decent pretty quickly. Not nearly as good as the Netflix series have been, but it's still good popcorn stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to give it a shot from the beginning, be prepared to give it like 12 episodes or whatever, and then another couple to see if you like the better stuff. You'll know the turning point episode because it'll overlap the events of Cap 2.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crow_Robot posted:

Even if they did send in the Avengers they could just wear earplugs!

Kilgrave's power is not exactly difficult to get around.

Considering that they had to find a completely 100% soundproof chamber to keep him in after capture, I don't think "earplugs" is as simple a solution as everyone thinks it is. I just wish the show had actually done this because otherwise they were pretty good about having Jessica and the crew think their plans through.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Considering that they had to find a completely 100% soundproof chamber to keep him in after capture, I don't think "earplugs" is as simple a solution as everyone thinks it is. I just wish the show had actually done this because otherwise they were pretty good about having Jessica and the crew think their plans through.

In the finale Trish just uses headphones and that seems effective. The soundproof room is proof that as long as you don't hear what he's saying you're fine.

Normal ear plugs are effective enough that you can't understand what someone is saying through them.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I can get why the police didn't investigate kilgrave. He's pretty smart about making sure no one has any evidence he exist. They showed it's hard to prove and even said that saying you were under his control became a fad defense.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Crow_Robot posted:

In the finale The soundproof room is proof that as long as you don't hear what he's saying you're fine.

Except that's not true. Finale:
His mind control isn't mind control, it's a virus. He has to be near you and then give you a command for it to work. It wasn't only intentional commands either, go screw, Hi Hank, etc...

Also, It wasn't just a soundproof room it was specifically a hermetically sealed room meaning neither his voice nor his purple cooties could get out.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Heathen posted:

Except that's not true. Finale:
His mind control isn't mind control, it's a virus. He has to be near you and then give you a command for it to work. It wasn't only intentional commands either, go screw, Hi Hank, etc...

Also, It wasn't just a soundproof room it was specifically a hermetically sealed room meaning neither his voice nor his purple cooties could get out.

Finale spoilers:
Then why does she wear the headphones? It doesn't need to be a hermetically sealed room. Who cares if you get infected with his virus if you can't hear him.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Lol like he could ever beat the avengers. Tony would science a way out, Thor would godhood a way out, hulk would anger a way out, Cap would America a way out, Widow would spy a way out, and Hawkeye would be beaten up by Widow.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Crow_Robot posted:

Finale spoilers:
Then why does she wear the headphones? It doesn't need to be a hermetically sealed room. Who cares if you get infected with his virus if you can't hear him.

More overall stuff.
Its a two part problem. You have to be near him and also hear him. With the headphones on she was near him, but couldn't hear him. That's why she was safe.

Remember how they kept mentioning the 10 to 12 hour window? That's how long it took the virus to wear off. Remember the Sufentanil? It not only knocked him out it suppressed his purple cooties. That's why it had to be hermetically sealed room at the CDC instead of some studio built for voice over work. If it wasn't sealed he could infect whomever sat at the desk while they talked to him.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Finale didn't have a big dramatic scene versus the villain, but I guess that's the point. Kilgrave is that bratty kid you see sometimes when shopping who always gets his way and everyone just kinda puts up with it because there isn't a whole lot you can do besides blame bad parenting. Except he's older, still sees everything as a game, and getting his parents involved only made things worse. She's fighting an immature spoiled prick who just so happens to have mind control powers, not some evil mastermind who carefully plans out every move and knows the stakes, like Fisk. Only difference is the mind control, and even Fisk was more influential than him. He wasn't the real threat, the virus was, and the only known way to perhaps stop him permanently failed. Fisk, despite everything, is still a normal human being who's a manipulative and influential rear end in a top hat, something that is dealt with every day by the police. Mind control is a useful tool that can drive dumb people who think they can make it work for themselves to always want it, and it had to go away for good.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think I'm at episode 6 or 7.

Does Jessica Jones ever wear a different pair of jeans?

This show isn't all that great.

Some of the actors are OK and others are bad.

Some of the dialogue is laugh out loud terrible.

Ritter seems more like she's in some perpetual drug haze and mopey, than drunk/depressed/angry/whatever.

The fights kind of suck and I don't get how she uses her powers some times and not others.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

McSpanky posted:

1x06

Sweet Christmas you people are dense. That line was fine and delivered fine to drive home the fact that what Jessica did to Luke was pretty much rape by deception. Discovering that someone you had been sleeping with, shared a unique secret with and bonded over it, and have been developing a budding relationship with was also your spouse's killer and had been lying-by-omission about it the whole time would be devastating and sickening to just about anyone. Just one more example to add to the list of abuse and control issues that guy made a few pages back, even if done out of shame and grief.

It was a wretched, wretched, wretched line of dialog that, was not only terrible and awful and not ever ever ever ever how human beings describe sex with other human beings outside of bargain-basement erotica, but was meant to be the emotive high point of the scene. It's meant to be this hugely affecting and impactful moment as luke cage realizes the severity of what has happened to him. It's supposed to be this moment that the whole season up to that point has been leading up to, as luke literally pauses dramatically in the middle of the line delivery to pull faces to show how morally crushed of a person he is, how horribly he has been affected by this news. It's not a cast off bad line of dialog; it's literally the emotional lynchpin of the scene and the episode in general. It's the button to make the audience burst into tears out of empathy. And it's the worst loving line of dialog I've heard perhaps ever. That's why it's terrible and awful

Hope this helps

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

The inconsistent use of her powers is something I was ok with in the show/thought was actually a neat addition.

Overall spoilers
She's very much not ok with being a 'hero' and is not comfortable with her abilities following what happened with Kilgrave. In this canon she wasn't a hero for very long anyway, before the Kilgrave incident. She wouldn't have gotten a lot of time to perfect them/test them/learn how to finesse them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Hope this helps

Abandon all hope, ye who post here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gaunab posted:

I can get why the police didn't investigate kilgrave. He's pretty smart about making sure no one has any evidence he exist. They showed it's hard to prove and even said that saying you were under his control became a fad defense.

He also generally isn't out committing high profile crimes. He doesn't go to the bank and demand money, run a criminal organization, or take over places. He walks up to a nice place and tells them to give him food, or goes to a nice place and tells them to give him a room. The only crimes for which any evidence is left are secondary, it doesn't even seem like he tells people to kill other people all that much. Just a lot of people irresponsibly spending their wealth, hooking up with a strange guy for a few months, and inexplicably hurting themselves.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Regarding attempts to disable/neutralize Kilgrave, it annoys me that they clearly didn't even Google sufentanil. Not only is it just a strong loving narcotic, but there literally is an oral formulation. They at least could have gone with a dissociative agent like ketamine or something to eplain why they needed to break into a hospital, but as written they would have gotten the same effect by shooting him up with heroin. Which in a way would be funny, since once he was addicted he would probably just use Malcolm to keep getting him more heroin and wouldn't care about Jessica. Problem solved!

Toxxupation posted:

It was a wretched, wretched, wretched line of dialog, etc.
Yeah, it really was a terrible line. I mean, it was awful. I'm not sure it was so awful that any normal person would so persistently perseverate on it not only here but in unrelated threads. You sound like a guy who sat through a pretty decent seven-course tasting menu and can't stop complaining that you almost slipped on the steps in the way in.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 22, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Also another aspect of abuse is that it is under reported and it's shame or the feelings of guilt that he causes that leads to people just not talking about him.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

The easiest way to neutralize Kilgrave would have been to just loving kill him in the first Goddamn place. Use a loving sniper rifle, who gives a gently caress. If you want to leave him alive in the first time through some futile quest to 'save Hope' fine but after he escapes once and more people die just loving kill his rear end Jesus Christ.

e:

Hollismason posted:

Also another aspect of abuse is that it is under reported and it's shame or the feelings of guilt that he causes that leads to people just not talking about him.

This was a super loving neat touch by the way. As much as I did not like the story/plot progression the show realistically explored abuse better than any piece of entertainment I've ever seen. It did such a good job in that respect.

VVVVVVVThis guy knows what the gently caress's up.VVVVVVVV

trash person fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 22, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Season spoilers

It was good, but it was about 10 episodes too long. She spent most of the time trying to prove the innocence of 1 girl (who ultimately died anyway) and in doing so she let a fuckton of people die in the process. She should have just killed him to begin with.

Also it sucks that he died, Tennant carried that show

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It was important to the characters to not just immediately kill Kilgrave because it actually gave them some sort of gravitas to the situation. Kilgrave would just immediately kill someone who threatened him in some way even in the slightest. Also, season spoiler Jessica probably doesn't want to murder people because she's a good person at heart but really hosed up

It's unrealistic to say " Oh well I'd have just murdered him" because it's such a sociopathic thing to say.

It's also victim blaming, it's like saying well she should have just fought him off ,or if he was abusing her she should have killed him. etc... etc...

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 22, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Crow_Robot posted:

The easiest way to neutralize Kilgrave would have been to just loving kill him in the first Goddamn place. Use a loving sniper rifle, who gives a gently caress. If you want to leave him alive in the first time through some futile quest to 'save Hope' fine but after he escapes once and more people die just loving kill his rear end Jesus Christ.
When they had him in the car, I kept thinking to myself "at least break his loving leg or something so we don't get the reset button BS". Welp.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Hollismason posted:

It was important to the characters to not just immediately kill Kilgrave because it actually gave them some sort of gravitas to the situation. Kilgrave would just immediately kill someone who threatened him in some way even in the slightest. Also, season spoiler Jessica probably doesn't want to murder people because she's a good person at heart but really hosed up

It's unrealistic to say " Oh well I'd have just murdered him" because it's such a sociopathic thing to say.

The only reason the show gives for not having the protagonists immediately killing him is we need him to get Hope out of jail. Not out of any sort of moral superiority/love for Kilgrave.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They make real clear the reasons on not doing that even Patsy says why It's because they want him to live a life of being powerless and to feel like Jessica felt with him locked away knowing he's powerless

To be clear saying that again is kind of blaming the victim.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Valeyard posted:

Season spoilers

It was good, but it was about 10 episodes too long. She spent most of the time trying to prove the innocence of 1 girl (who ultimately died anyway) and in doing so she let a fuckton of people die in the process. She should have just killed him to begin with.

Also it sucks that he died, Tennant carried that show

Or she could have just told Kilgrave during his brief flirtation with heroism, "YES, your actions CAN wipe out old debts! Let's go tell the DA to drop all charges!" and then put fifteen bullets in his skull.

Also, I don't think it's sociopathic or unrealistic for a well-adjusted person to say "Oh well, I'd have just murdered him," because the characters clearly already believed he was beyond all hope of redemption. You can't jail a man like that. You murder him, or your completely neutralize his ability to use his powers, and I'm not sure they were confident that merely preventing him from being able to speak was enough. The only reason Jessica didn't just tear him apart is because she couldn't think of any other way to save Hope.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Full Season Spoiler

They do actually come up with a way to stop his powers which is why they had the CDC. Simpson burned the CDC to not only get rid of evidence but to force them to only have pretty much one option

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 22, 2015

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Hollismason posted:

They make real clear the reasons on not doing that even Patsy says why It's because they want him to live a life of being powerless and to feel like Jessica felt with him locked away knowing he's powerless

To be clear saying that again is kind of blaming the victim.

To me it sounded like a bullshit excuse to keep spinning your wheels and keep the plot going.

Even if that isn't why it was put in there it makes the characters stupid and unlikable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Full Season

Yeah it is stupid that's the point it's a rape / revenge fantasy on their part, but it also serves the purpose of showing that the characters are not perfect. It's also a reasonable plan and motivation. These are all really hosed up people.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 22, 2015

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Full season stuff.

Hollismason posted:

They do actually come up with a way to stop his powers which is why they had the CDC. Simpson burned the CDC to not only get rid of evidence but to force them to only have pretty much one option

And it's a stupid idea, because either they take care of him on a daily basis or it's the same thing as killing him, and any time they opened those doors to feed him, or take his waste away, or whatever, they ran the risk of him escaping.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Full season stuff.

And it's a stupid idea, because either they take care of him on a daily basis or it's the same thing as killing him, and any time they opened those doors to feed him, or take his waste away, or whatever, they ran the risk of him escaping.

Full Season

Yeah, but it is Jessica's way of taking back control of her life or she thinks. It's a rape / revenge scenario. She thinks by controlling Kilgrave she'll save Hope and be able to find control in her life. I mean it's a ridiculous premise, but it's clear why they are doing it. Because Jessica doesn't wnat Kilgrave to force her to kill again, which he does. In the end in a way Kilgrave won

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Drythe posted:

Lol like he could ever beat the avengers. Tony would science a way out, Thor would godhood a way out, hulk would anger a way out, Cap would America a way out, Widow would spy a way out, and Hawkeye would be beaten up by Widow.

1x3 If Jessica had a gun when she found him in that apartment she could have shot him right there and it would have been over. Like what he does is super horrible but I'm not really buying him as a credible threat.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Doctor Butts posted:

I think I'm at episode 6 or 7.

Does Jessica Jones ever wear a different pair of jeans?

This show isn't all that great.

Some of the actors are OK and others are bad.

Some of the dialogue is laugh out loud terrible.

Ritter seems more like she's in some perpetual drug haze and mopey, than drunk/depressed/angry/whatever.

The fights kind of suck and I don't get how she uses her powers some times and not others.

The show picks up a lot in episode 7 and stays pretty good through 11 or so. The acting, dialogue, and fight scenes never improve.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Full Season

Yeah, but it is Jessica's way of taking back control of her life or she thinks. It's a rape / revenge scenario. She thinks by controlling Kilgrave she'll save Hope and be able to find control in her life. I mean it's a ridiculous premise, but it's clear why they are doing it. Because Jessica doesn't wnat Kilgrave to force her to kill again, which he does. In the end in a way Kilgrave won

People generally obsess over revenge fantasies. It would take about three seconds of obsessing over holding him prisoner to decide, I don't know, to at least invest in a ball gag. The desire to control Kilgrave to exert control over one's life is fine, but it doesn't excuse being an idiot about it knowing that he's already escaped your custody before just by hiring a few guys on a security detail, who incidentally already freaking know where you took him the last time you failed to contain him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
All of that makes sense, you don't necessarily want your heroes reaching for murder as the first option because then you get the Punisher and we already have that guy. The reset button thing is still annoying though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Full Season

That's really why they fail though. Because their really using Kilgraves methods.

1. Make him not being able to control his body

2. Force him to show his powers

Control him totally. It fails completely though. Even the method used to kill him. Jessica points out that Kilgrave never does things himself. That's why it's so important for Jessica to do it herself. I mean she even manipulates Malcolm to get the drugs.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm about halfway through the season now. It's mostly been pretty great, though the episode where she thought she was going to go to supermax was way cheesy for some reason

Primarily though I wanted to say that David Tennant absolutely kills it as Kilgrave. Best casting decision in the show, easy.

edit: Oh also it's very silly how often Jessica gets shoved around by normal humans.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

It was a wretched, wretched, wretched line of dialog that, was not only terrible and awful and not ever ever ever ever how human beings describe sex with other human beings outside of bargain-basement erotica, but was meant to be the emotive high point of the scene. It's meant to be this hugely affecting and impactful moment as luke cage realizes the severity of what has happened to him. It's supposed to be this moment that the whole season up to that point has been leading up to, as luke literally pauses dramatically in the middle of the line delivery to pull faces to show how morally crushed of a person he is, how horribly he has been affected by this news. It's not a cast off bad line of dialog; it's literally the emotional lynchpin of the scene and the episode in general. It's the button to make the audience burst into tears out of empathy. And it's the worst loving line of dialog I've heard perhaps ever. That's why it's terrible and awful

Hope this helps

This post is a good demonstration about how you should never be allowed to criticize someone else's writing.