Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

I'd probably eat these, but i'm not a Millennial and would therefore be called gramps for trying to look young :(

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rondette posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/theslice/can-graham-veysey-make-cleveland-not-suck

This is quite a good article, it doesn't deny that the gentrification has had some positive aspects, it also highlights some of the issues about the surrounding neighbourhoods and older residents.

An entire loving building for $425k. And here I am wondering how the gently caress people buy an entry level single family home for $700k in California.

naem
May 29, 2011

See if you own that $700k double wide in California you don't get to lord it over anyone

But back in Cleveland you get to play fancy person and sip wine, wait gosh these people think I'm a pretentious doof hmm maybe if I put the wine in a can..

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

An entire loving building for $425k. And here I am wondering how the gently caress people buy an entry level single family home for $700k in California.

lol

quote:

It would be easy to paint Veysey as a young guy out to make money by kicking out some gays and drug dealers, bringing in the usual yuppie fixings and rebranding a hovel as a haven. It’s especially tempting when Veysey unreservedly talks in Millennial-speak: Holding a concert on 29th Street isn’t an event, but “creative placemaking” with “radical inclusiveness.” Considering leasing to a chain store here isn’t a business decision, but one about “fitting into the narrative of the neighborhood.” And Veysey isn’t just a gentrifier, but a “conscientious gentrifier.”

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

no seriously there's no way that dude's life isn't performance art

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If a neighborhood doesn't have any gays and drug dealers close by its poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

“conscientious gentrifie"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In Buffalo, there's a district called "Larkinville" where a rich guy built a giant office complex in the middle of a dilapidated neighborhood, and bars and restaurants opened around it to support the thousands of employees who work there.

Guess what happened when the city dared try building a homeless shelter within a few blocks of the new hip area:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...orhood-20130822

quote:

The project also may have faced some opposition from within the neighborhoods nearby. Larkinville, in particular, is within walking distance, just across a bridge, and developer Howard Zemsky has been working for years to create not only a successful office environment but also a lively community to the east of downtown. His flagship Larkin at Exchange Building is fully occupied, and he’s turned his attention to redeveloping other nearby buildings for a mixture of office, retail, restaurant and even residential space.

When the project was announced several weeks ago, Zemsky said he was surprised at the proposal for the City Mission as Swan Street is “relatively disconnected from other support services.”

“We would want to make sure this potential project is done and managed in a way that complements the continued growth in the surrounding area, and is done in a way that considers the recent investments made here,” Zemsky said. “We actively manage our properties and provide an excellent tenant experience. We’re certain that will continue under any scenario.”

Never got built.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh is that why they have those parties there all the time in the summer

they have it on like a wednesday night every 3rd one of the month of something

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So is it just a rich boy thing that they have everything done for them and therefore feel immasculated, and feel the need to grow the beard and have MAN RAZORS and MAN CLOTHES and MAN WINE

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

EugeneJ posted:

In Buffalo, there's a district called "Larkinville" where a rich guy built a giant office complex in the middle of a dilapidated neighborhood, and bars and restaurants opened around it to support the thousands of employees who work there.

The tagline for the Larkin Square development is "Whimsy Amongst the Warehouses" lmao.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So is it just a rich boy thing that they have everything done for them and therefore feel immasculated, and feel the need to grow the beard and have MAN RAZORS and MAN CLOTHES and MAN WINE

Maybe frumpy girlfriend can't bare his children, so he compensates by ruining the lives of others for petty enjoyment

This seems to be a trend in America

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

Is... is that a butt flap for when you gotta make doodie and to wipe your booty? Because what's the point with those saggy poo poo sack pants. EDIT: Doy, that's the front of said pants :downs:

CONTENT:

I'd probably eat these, but i'm not a Snake Person and would therefore be called gramps for trying to look young :(

this looks like the food pouches i buy my toddler

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Syfe posted:

Mancanwhinewine.com Our Story might just be the most hilarious thing ever.

wow where can i buy one

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

gender illusionist posted:

wow where can i buy one

Your local trendy dive bar, the kind that looks dirty but also is in the good part of town and sells weird drinks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LegoPirateNinja posted:

this looks like the food pouches i buy my toddler

millennials are just toddlers packaged in a adult form.

naem
May 29, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Plenty of middle class young people and recent college grads buy into this kind of marketing too before the weight of life crushes them

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

You Are A Elf posted:

Is... is that a butt flap for when you gotta make doodie and to wipe your booty? Because what's the point with those saggy poo poo sack pants. EDIT: Doy, that's the front of said pants :downs:

CONTENT:

I'd probably eat these, but i'm not a Millennial and would therefore be called gramps for trying to look young :(

how did they ever forget about the millennial w/ beard who thinks they are cool, esp when they grow it extra out for 'Movember'...oh how sly, pls die

edit: i guess those came out in 2k12 though which almost kinda makes their shameless marketing somewhat respectable i guess for being ahead of the curve.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 22, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

Plenty of middle class young people and recent college grads buy into this kind of marketing too before the weight of life crushes them

millennials really believe in cargo cult masculinity. if you do rituals such as using a safety razors and other rituals you will achieve true masculinity.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

At least that stuff is real food, Soylent is still a thing that people buy and consume

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

mandles - candles for men

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
oh sorry the tagline is actually candles on testosterone

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone should tell the wine-in-a-can guy that nothing is manlier than not giving a poo poo about what some rear end in a top hat thinks about you ordering wine.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Testicandles

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

withak posted:

Someone should tell the wine-in-a-can guy that nothing is manlier than not giving a poo poo about what some rear end in a top hat thinks about you ordering wine.

Also bag wine lasts longer in storage after you open it unlike bottled wine.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

the only products that should be explicitly marketed toward men is like, stuff that involves facial hair and clothes I guess

I have this bar of irish spring "signature for men" soap that's MAN SIZED SOAP FOR A MAN'S HANDS but it's like, just call it a big rear end bar of soap that will last longer that's why I wanted it not because I was worried small bars made me look gay

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i like the dove soap with the scratchy bits in

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought being masculine was about being masculine, not buying products that state they are for MEN ONLY, but clearly I'm wrong

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
to be fair, as far dwellers in burned-down cities go, millenials are probably the most manly of all. they take care of their kids/dogs, they can hold down a job, and they don't beat their wives/girlfriends. sure, the bar is pretty low in these neighborhoods, but still...

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

I find the same with cars actually. Guys who drive around in beat up old cars and don't really care have always been way more attractive to me than some twat in a brand new car that they got on a lease or whatever to impress people. They don't have anything to prove and are generally much nicer people. Speaking from personal experience, anyway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

to be fair, as far dwellers in burned-down cities go, millenials are probably the most manly of all. they take care of their kids/dogs, they can hold down a job, and they don't beat their wives/girlfriends. sure, the bar is pretty low in these neighborhoods, but still...

Well yeah, being a man is being loyal to your friends, responsible and loving to your family, and honestly caring about your community. But the media says that you have to shave with the sheer edge of a spent bullet casing to be a man, and some people don't realize that it is all bullshit hence the MAN PRODUCTS

Mandles are actually a thing but the story is pretty cool, some kid wanted to make more masculine scented candles out of tin cans and gave all of the profits to charity. Wish I could find a link to the story.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mozi posted:

i like the dove soap with the scratchy bits in

I use a very masculine shower puff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

same.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

the only products that should be explicitly marketed toward men is like, stuff that involves facial hair and clothes I guess

I have this bar of irish spring "signature for men" soap that's MAN SIZED SOAP FOR A MAN'S HANDS but it's like, just call it a big rear end bar of soap that will last longer that's why I wanted it not because I was worried small bars made me look gay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPXkuRt3U6g

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

hello welcome to the world hwere performance art needs some kind of raw material to refer to, otherwise it's in the void

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

etalian posted:

millennials really believe in cargo cult masculinity. if you do rituals such as using a safety razors and other rituals you will achieve true masculinity.

humans really believe in masculinity.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Well yeah, being a man is being loyal to your friends, responsible and loving to your family, and honestly caring about your community.

ah, so then, what is being a woman?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

nomadologique posted:

ah, so then, what is being a woman?

Same I guess, but like in a girly way

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If your favorite soup isn't French Onion with the bread and melted cheese up top then gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Gorilla Salad posted:

:Football player talking in falsetto while holding shower puff:

"What's with this thingy?

(BLAM!)

"BE A MAN! USE THIS SHOWER GEL!"