Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Arcaeris posted:

How many legendary enemies are people seeing?

The last 3 "dungeons" I've killed 3-4 of them each dungeon and my brother is playing and barely sees any. I'm running around buried in really lovely (leg armor that resists poison) to pointless (fat man with extra robot damage) legendary items.

I play on Survival and see them all the time.

Edit: Too be a little more specific - One per 'major encounter.' It's hard to judge really but any time I enter a newly discovered area I'm almost sure to see one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

How do you actually get brahmin in your settlement

How do you get them OUT?

Literally could not get into my house.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Brahmin not knowing how to interact with your stuff in the settlement is the funniest poo poo. There's at least one bugging out every time I go back to mine.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Araganzar posted:

How do you get them OUT?

Literally could not get into my house.

Spawn in a chair or bed, wait/sleep 24 hours.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I found Curie. What does she like seeing?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I'm not sure what it is but my .45 ammo just sits unused, every time I try to bother with a 45 caliber it just blows goats, either I want something smaller and faster in VATS against trash, or I want something bigger and faster/heavier against real threats. I modded my suppressed anti-robot legendary 38 that was maxxed in everything to 45 and it was just okay. What gives? I just can't find a niche for .45 ammo.

I'm playing on V Hard and almost level 30, but I've always wanted a smaller or larger caliber the entire game. Specced handguns and gun nut.

Combat Rifle is pretty good in my opinion. I'm only lvl15 but it works better than any weapon before this. Coincidentally I happen to have also 600 ammo for it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I found Curie. What does she like seeing?

Be generally nice and generous towards people.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Ihmemies posted:

Combat Rifle is pretty good in my opinion. I'm only lvl15 but it works better than any weapon before this. Coincidentally I happen to have also 600 ammo for it.

Combat rifle with a few ranks in the rifleman perk will reliably kill a Deathclaw before it can hit you on normal difficulty, and I'm at level 40.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ok what is with these monkeys!?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I would love a Fallout game where you play as one of multiple possible nonhuman races, each with different upsides and downsides. Ghouls heal from radiation but get less health from stimpacks, and if your rads max out you go feral and die (but it otherwise does not debuff you). Super Mutants aren't affected by rads at all but can only eat meat and it's almost impossible for them to use speech to dissuade people from combat. A Gen-2 Synth can use fusion cells as health packs and "eat" metal the same way organics eat meat, flipping the health system entirely. Possibly other racial perks you could unlock over time, like Glowing One for ghouls so you make your own radiation and aren't attacked by ferals, a hack assist for Synths, etc.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

they seem to be associated with explosive traps, but don't trigger them

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Quest Quesiton.

The short and creepy Covenant quest line has me wondering. Does killing Ameila Stockton reveal shes a synth? Does she reveal shes a synth? Is the Railroads message of synth persecution real, and is the institute only responsible for creating synthetic life that sometimes fucks up, like biological life?

Am... I a bigot for hating synths and killing Amelia to find out she was in fact a synth?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Do the dead bodies disappear like ever? I'm having a hard time cleaning up after every attack on a settlement.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Elendil004 posted:

They're proximity alarms that will wake up and alert enemies nearby.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Protons posted:

Quest Quesiton.

The short and creepy Covenant quest line has me wondering. Does killing Ameila Stockton reveal shes a synth? Does she reveal shes a synth? Is the Railroads message of synth persecution real, and is the institute only responsible for creating synthetic life that sometimes fucks up, like biological life?

Am... I a bigot for hating synths and killing Amelia to find out she was in fact a synth?

Welllll... Killing Amelia Stockton does, indeed, reveal she's a Synth because you find a Synth Component on her body. I'm not sure, yet, if she's an Institute agent or one of the freed ones set up by the Railroad.

It's still unclear, to me, how the Institute controls the synths who don't know they're synths. There a command phrase they can utter to shut 'em down or issue subconscious commands? If they could do it remotely by radio there'd never be any runaways.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 22, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
At what point in the story are you cut off from all but one of the factions? Is it a very obvious point with plenty of warning? I want to do as many quests for each faction as I can before I get there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

At what point in the story are you cut off from all but one of the factions? Is it a very obvious point with plenty of warning? I want to do as many quests for each faction as I can before I get there.

It is super obvious the game literally pops up a thing telling you.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
Anybody else experiencing gruesome framerate droppage?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Settlement construction talk: I've spent about four hours now farming water and selling it for shipments to beef up my hot spots for water. Got two levels (to 40) just building. Thing is, unlike most other folks I've seen, I'm honestly concerned a lot less with making it look like an actual Fallout settlement or whatever than I am making sure there are walls around my poo poo. For example, I now have Fort Taffington: Ugly, but effective.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

i was reloading posted:

Anybody else experiencing gruesome framerate droppage?

I sure am. When I first got the game and then installed my 970 and 4790k, I got solid 60FPS with the occasional 5FPS drop that happened for maybe a second once or twice. Now, I easily drop to 20-30 in wooded areas, and sometimes don't get solid 60 in urban areas, but it mostly remains around 50-60 now. I have not a single clue what happened.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

nosl posted:

I sure am. When I first got the game and then installed my 970 and 4790k, I got solid 60FPS with the occasional 5FPS drop that happened for maybe a second once or twice. Now, I easily drop to 20-30 in wooded areas, and sometimes don't get solid 60 in urban areas, but it mostly remains around 50-60 now. I have not a single clue what happened.

Wow. Same thing happened to me and I'm playing on Xbox One.

Even with all the fog I'm still dropping frames like a motherfucker.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

i was reloading posted:

Wow. Same thing happened to me and I'm playing on Xbox One.

Even with all the fog I'm still dropping frames like a motherfucker.

If this is really a fault of how the game was written, I'd say we should wait for a patch. Similar things happened with Fallout 3 and New Vegas and Skyrim on PS3 when the player started to accumulate savefiles, or had a few large savefiles. I don't know what the culprit is here, or if it's half of our imagination, but I suppose we'll see.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've decided to push through and finish the main quest line. The rail rifle seems like it outlcasses my sniper rifle in pretty much every stat. Is there anything that wouldn't recommend it over a fully upgraded hunting rifle?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

nosl posted:

If you've modded your carryweight carrying 8000 pounds of stuff ends up putting some hurt on your frames.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I'm having some graphics issues.

It looks like an overheating GPU to me, but my GPU temp is fine, it only happens in Vaults 81 and 95, and it's persistent on exiting and restarting. I'm assuming it's because I have a lovely old GTX650 but before I get a new video card, any possible solutions?

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you've modded your carryweight carrying 8000 pounds of stuff ends up putting some hurt on your frames.

Only time I used the console was to tcl out of an interior corner I got stuck in. 100% legit playthrough. I have a bunch of poo poo stored in 3 containers I crafted and typically carry about 150lbs of poo poo.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I activated the siren in Lynn Woods at level 10.

I am having a Bad Time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, apparently level 25 isn't high enough to get the X-01 power armor to spawn at Building 35. The inferior power armor spawns instead, boo.

What I did find out, though, was that my melee character with Grognak's Axe, provided he charges in with VATs, can take down an assault bot (the scary big green robot with the mini guns) and make it somehow explode, clearing the rest of its health and standing in the explosion like a bad rear end.

...Without power armor. :clint: :hellyeah:

My character is basically :black101: incarnate now and will be even more so once I can get the x-01 power armor.

Oh, and it seems like Grognak's Axe is a straight upgrade from the Shishkebab. It even lops off limbs/arms mid-VATS so ghouls et al end up looking like the Black Knight from Monty Python's Holy Grail after a few swings.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 22, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Level 32 and still rocking the overseer's guardian combat rifle (147 dmg), a sniper plasma rifle with reflex sight (94+94 dmg) and a scoped gauss rifle (300 dmg) which I use to snipe tough enemies because ammo is scarce.

Currently wondering if I should reflex the gauss rifle too because I don't like scopes in this game and with 4 ranks in stealth and a few stealth magazine bonuses I can basically just crawl within 10 feet from enemies and shoot them in the face.

Besides the rank 4 gun nut / science mods, are there any other meaningful upgrades or I will be stuck with this stuff until end game?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

So (quest spoilers) the more I play the main quest, the more disappointed I'm becoming with FO4's quest design. It's actually pretty terrible the further you get :(

The main quest gives the player pretty much zero agency to actually roleplay. No matter who you side with, you can't create a peaceful/sneaky ending - you HAVE to blow up a faction with kids on board no matter who you pick. Even though your main character is a new mom/dad who could, conceivably, have major problems doing that. In fact, there have been three quests so far that had 'peaceful' endings where a speech check could save a character. Out of like, twenty quests. Wasn't one of FO1/2's chief design ideas to have players able to take different approaches to the story quests? Speechy, sneaky, shooty? Well FO4 says FUKC YUO shoot all the dudes. And that's fine, the shooty system is funner in this game. But it's not Fallout. If I want to blow everyone' s head off regardless of what my character might be thinking, then I'd play COD/Uncharted/etc. Also, not being able to refuse missions that I/my character think are dumb is extremely annoying. Why force players into a certain role and then not allow players to engage in actual character development throughout the story missions? Meeting your son should be a MAJOR emotional beat, and an option for a player to change 'alignment' in response to a huge revelation for the player's character. But instead the primary emotion is 'What?' and 'You want me to do what now?' the conversation after that reveal is basically 'Yep just accept this and btw you need to do some quests for me now'. You can't ask any expository questions. Why make it an RPG if you're not going to use the system in a clever or user-responsive way? The USS Constitution quest is one of the better quests and even that leaves you NO way to spare the scavengers or convince them to give up on scavving the ship - even if you think you do, shocker, they attack again and have to die. WHY? So the player can shoot the cannons again? Why is the PC so fine with murdering like twenty people every time they do a favour for any faction? I was actually looking forward to playing post-apoc housewife scolding everyone for being caught up with post-apoc problems :(

The more story mission I do in this game the more I miss New Vegas, which you could beat without ever killing a named character. It's a shame, because every other aspect is MAJORLY improved, especially companions, and I like the settlement building even though I'll like it way better after 30 modders have fixed the dumb broken stuff. Like toilets.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Do your SPECIAL stats in this game affect anything outside of gating perks? If two characters have perked to level 5 in sneak, but one has 5 agility and the other has 10, does the dude with 10 agility have an advantage?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

Do your SPECIAL stats in this game affect anything outside of gating perks? If two characters have perked to level 5 in sneak, but one has 5 agility and the other has 10, does the dude with 10 agility have an advantage?
yes, but a pretty small one

like having half a perk of sneak

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Where do you even get the Gauss Rifle? Isn't that the same OP gun from late-game Fallout 1?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Where do you even get the Gauss Rifle? Isn't that the same OP gun from late-game Fallout 1?

1. Fallout 2
2. Nope, it's a different weapon, big huge thing that has a charge up cycle. There's one behind Proctor Teagan. It looks like something from Metro 2033 I swear.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I liked that the factions had glaring flaws. I had to really think about which one I wanted to support. Even then, I wasn't fully comfortable with my choice. My hope was that I could help the Institute, but as its leader, attempt diplomacy with the Brotherhood because I still like them. But in every conversation you have, if you express disapproval or flat out refuse to use violence, they overrule you, even though you're the new leader. When I refuse to attack the Brotherhood, Shaun tells me that it's an order. Like so many other games, it's just an illusion of choice. I know they can't program in every scenario that a player could want to follow, but it's very obvious how rigid everything is. I forcefully put down that little coup in the bio area to set an example and consolidate my power; you're supposed to fall into line, not continue to ignore my wishes!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The guy selling weapons in Diamond City had one in stock as soon as I was level 30. I think the gun store in Goodneighbor had one in stock too, if you can't find it there. It's good but ammo is terribly expensive and scarce, at least for the moment.

Cost around 250-300 caps, then I just modded the hell out of it with the enormous amount of junk I accumulated :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It does feel like there are less random encounters that aren't just straight up fights. I feel like in 3 and NV, you'd be wandering the waste, see some stuff and maybe it's bad guys, maybe traders, maybe a quest. Here it's 95% bad guys.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Raere posted:

I liked that the factions had glaring flaws. I had to really think about which one I wanted to support. Even then, I wasn't fully comfortable with my choice. My hope was that I could help the Institute, but as its leader, attempt diplomacy with the Brotherhood because I still like them. But in every conversation you have, if you express disapproval or flat out refuse to use violence, they overrule you, even though you're the new leader. When I refuse to attack the Brotherhood, Shaun tells me that it's an order. Like so many other games, it's just an illusion of choice. I know they can't program in every scenario that a player could want to follow, but it's very obvious how rigid everything is. I forcefully put down that little coup in the bio area to set an example and consolidate my power; you're supposed to fall into line, not continue to ignore my wishes!

Yeah, the ideology and existing membership of the factions is good. The options the game gives you for resolving their conflicts are bad and limited.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wasn't expecting anything, but it's really funny to sell the 2077 World Series bat to the baseball collector nut for 37 caps and no reaction. Now That's What I Call World Building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Speedball posted:

Welllll... Killing Amelia Stockton does, indeed, reveal she's a Synth because you find a Synth Component on her body. I'm not sure, yet, if she's an Institute agent or one of the freed ones set up by the Railroad.

It's still unclear, to me, how the Institute controls the synths who don't know they're synths. There a command phrase they can utter to shut 'em down or issue subconscious commands? If they could do it remotely by radio there'd never be any runaways.

The Synths are a bunch of Manchurian Candidates?

• Locked thread