Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Microcenter carries at least the 13, I'd assume they'd get the 15 as well now that that's out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The XPS 13 is pretty much the same size as your 11" Air but is much, much more powerful. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you went that way.

The criticisms I have of both the Dells are the trackpad are mediorce and the black palmrests and trackpad really show fingerprints and smudges.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

fknlo posted:

Is there a laptop bag thread anywhere? If not, what are the general recommendations?

Fashion threads will most likely have something. You can spend $250+ on a Filson which will last forever and you can walk into a board room with it. TIMBUK2 makes some nice nylon bags for under $100. I had one for 3 years and it held up great.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm looking for a mid-priced laptop that can do a bit of gaming but nothing too intensive.

I'm currently considering a HP Pavilion 15-inch with a Geforce 840m 2GB. No idea how good that card is, but my initial inclination is to not buy a modern laptop that runs at less than 1080. Is that wise? Most of the ones in my price range run at 768, so I don't know if it's a fools errand to shoot for 1080 if it won't be able to run anything natively anyway.

For reference this is the one: http://dataworld.dk/product_card.php?prod_nr=J5B61EA%23UUW

Site's in Danish and Scandinavia for some reason gets unique model numbers so I don't know what the US/UK equivalent would be. That's about $800 which I know is probably expensive for what's in it, but our prices tend to be higher in general.

The x40m cards are terrible value.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
What's the verdict on laptop SSHD's like this one? Price seems reasonable but I've never had an SSHD before.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Lapto...MX5W5PKMGD6W4XP

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would skip the hybrid drive and just get a real 500GB SSD for ~$150. It is a little more expensive ,but you will be much happier in the long run.

...unless you truly do not have a desktop, in which case you might need a 1TB drive. I've done ok with just a 500GB rotational drive in my personal laptop for a couple of years now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fknlo posted:

Is there a laptop bag thread anywhere? If not, what are the general recommendations?

STM

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

The x40m cards are terrible value.

I'm not sure what the alternative is. There's an Asus with less ram and an i5 that has an 850m in it. After that they start getting too expensive.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Black Friday is nearly upon us, and Cyber Monday.

Anyone have inklings of good deals coming up? Or will a prospective cutthroat gamer on a budget have to wait past Christmas for ultra good deals on current gaming systems? 970Ms and whatnot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not sure what the alternative is. There's an Asus with less ram and an i5 that has an 850m in it. After that they start getting too expensive.

I'd advise the Asus then. Look at notebookcheck for benchmarks

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd advise the Asus then. Look at notebookcheck for benchmarks

Okay thanks, I don't know much about laptop graphics cards. For reference, here are the two choices then

HP Pavilion 15-p046no

I7 2ghz
12 gigs RAM
Geforce 840m

Asus F550JK-DM248H

I5 2.8ghz
6 gigs RAM
Geforce 850m

It's always tough to find solid reviews of these loving nordic models since again they seem to be unique to this region, so I don't really know the difference in build or screen quality. The Asus is actually slightly cheaper here, but does the GPU really make up for the differences in CPU/RAM? I guess benchmarks don't lie but it's not like I want to be playing MGSV on ultra settings on this thing anyway. I just wanna cover my all bases here since it's been like a decade since I bought my previous laptop, so any input is appreciated.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calidus posted:

Fashion threads will most likely have something. You can spend $250+ on a Filson which will last forever and you can walk into a board room with it. TIMBUK2 makes some nice nylon bags for under $100. I had one for 3 years and it held up great.

I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag and it has so many pouches it takes me forever to find stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mile'ionaha posted:

Black Friday is nearly upon us, and Cyber Monday.

Anyone have inklings of good deals coming up? Or will a prospective cutthroat gamer on a budget have to wait past Christmas for ultra good deals on current gaming systems? 970Ms and whatnot.

Generally black friday deals are on low quality, high margin items

For a mobile device intended to last two-to-four years you don't want to buy a low quality, high margin item. You'll often seen $20-40 taken off the price of a quality laptop. High quality laptops are already built/priced to a specific target price/profit margin.

Check out the Apple/Lenovo/Dell outlet stores if you want a slammin' deal on a quality laptop.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hadlock posted:

Generally black friday deals are on low quality, high margin items
I think it was black friday or cyber monday last year when I found ebates had I think it was 15% cash back on Lenovo.com. That's pretty good on the high end stuff where the price doesn't vary much, and was applied in addition to Lenovo's own nonsense "$400 less than this other made up number that we've never actually charged" discounts.

It took a while to be applied, and requires mucking about with ebates, but at the medium-high-end it's probably worth the hassle to save a hundred bucks. Probably they won't do that again, but worth checking. (And if you already do ebates, there's 3% cash back from lenovo.com all the time.)

Looks like right now they have 10% cash back with Dell, this year (I have not checked terms and conditions.)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If Microsoft has a 10% cashback deal that you can combine with the 10% education discount, that's going to be hard to turn down if it applies to the Surface Book.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Calidus posted:

TIMBUK2 makes some nice nylon bags for under $100. I had one for 3 years and it held up great.

I like a few of their bags but apparently I bought a MONSTER laptop and nice looking bags for 15.6 inch units don't seem to be all that common.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here's the laptop bag you want.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you own a laptop larger than a 13 or 15" rMBP you are going to have trouble finding something that fits acceptably well.

Personally I think if you bought a laptop that requires a $100 padded laptop bag, you bought the wrong laptop. I've been doing just fine using a zippered pillow case as a dust sleeve for for years now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's fashion. Not necessity.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I just carry my belongings in a burlap sack I found on the side of the road.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

REI was actually selling those for a little while this summer

http://www.rei.com/product/855408/rei-flashback-daypack

Although I reccomend the Flash 18, same general design, slightly lighter weight. This is what I carry my X230 in 99.9% of the time (with the pillowcase)

http://www.rei.com/product/877597/rei-flash-18-pack

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hakkesshu posted:

Okay thanks, I don't know much about laptop graphics cards. For reference, here are the two choices then

HP Pavilion 15-p046no

I7 2ghz
12 gigs RAM
Geforce 840m

Asus F550JK-DM248H

I5 2.8ghz
6 gigs RAM
Geforce 850m

It's always tough to find solid reviews of these loving nordic models since again they seem to be unique to this region, so I don't really know the difference in build or screen quality. The Asus is actually slightly cheaper here, but does the GPU really make up for the differences in CPU/RAM? I guess benchmarks don't lie but it's not like I want to be playing MGSV on ultra settings on this thing anyway. I just wanna cover my all bases here since it's been like a decade since I bought my previous laptop, so any input is appreciated.

The Asus has a faster but less power efficient CPU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dissss posted:

The Asus has a faster but less power efficient CPU

It's the RAM I'm more worried about

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

It's the RAM I'm more worried about

RAM's cheap these days, you can get another 8 gigs for cheap easy if you want.

Here's the cheapest option on the UK site (ddr3-1600 with CAS latancy 9, it's a single pound premium over CAS 11): http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx316ls9ib8

1x8GB sodimm for ~42 Euros isn't bad at all. Not nearly as cheap as the US, but not terrible by any means.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 22, 2015

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
Edit: wrong thread, sorry!

Zhiwau fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 22, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

RAM's cheap these days, you can get another 8 gigs for cheap easy if you want.

Here's the cheapest option on the UK site (ddr3-1600 with CAS latancy 9, it's a single pound premium over CAS 11): http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx316ls9ib8

1x8GB sodimm for ~42 Euros isn't bad at all. Not nearly as cheap as the US, but not terrible by any means.

I know but I've never taken apart a laptop in my life and I'm probably not gonna wanna attempt to, I don't have the nerves for it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I know but I've never taken apart a laptop in my life and I'm probably not gonna wanna attempt to, I don't have the nerves for it.

It's your money to spend, do as you would. But it's absolutely trivial to add more memory if you take 20 minutes with a phillips head screwdriver.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Bardeh posted:

OK, I've got this Inspiron in front of me. The screen seems great to me, but I'm coming from a crappy old 1366x768 one on my old laptop which could skew my opinion. Either way, colours are vibrant, it's nice and bright, and viewing angles seem very good.

The laptop itself is very solidly built, but it's pretty drat heavy - definitely no ultrabook. It doesn't feel or look cheap, though. There's no flex or bend on the keyboard at all, which I really like. The trackpad is....eh. It's fiddly and a bit 'slidey', and I wish the buttons were separated from the trackpad itself. I will rarely, if ever, be using it so it doesn't bother me particularly, but it could be better.

I downloaded Fallout 4 and played for a few minutes - I put the settings to the same as I used on my desktop (which has a 750ti) and it runs the same, if not a little better. Rock-solid 30fps at 1080p, high settings. The fans get pretty loud but they seem to do their job, the top stayed surprisingly cool.

Overall I'm very pleased with it, and doubt you can do much better for the price right now for these specs.

Holy poo poo, this is the inspiron you're talking about right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ?keywords=Dell%20Inspiron%20i7559-763BLK&qid=1448220025&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I'm getting my first laptop, and I wanted something that's going to last me several years and maybe be able to play some decent games like XCOM 2 or similar. If it can actually play Fallout 4, that should last me a while.

Could you define loud for the fans? It's mostly going to be sitting at a desk in the lab doing web browsing and word processing and spreadsheets, so if it's regularly loud as hell that's no good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

RAM is a user serviceable part.

It's attached with this little springy holder that literally pops open to show you where to insert it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

seaborgium posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the inspiron you're talking about right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ?keywords=Dell%20Inspiron%20i7559-763BLK&qid=1448220025&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I'm getting my first laptop, and I wanted something that's going to last me several years and maybe be able to play some decent games like XCOM 2 or similar. If it can actually play Fallout 4, that should last me a while.

Could you define loud for the fans? It's mostly going to be sitting at a desk in the lab doing web browsing and word processing and spreadsheets, so if it's regularly loud as hell that's no good.

Yup, that's it. The 960m is pretty much on par with the desktop 750ti, so you're not going to be getting 60fps at 1080p on modern games, but 30fps at decent settings on fallout and witcher is very achievable. For the price it's an extremely capable gaming laptop.

It's very quiet just for desktop usage, the fans only kick in when you fire up a game. I'm really pleased with it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

The Iron Rose posted:

It's your money to spend, do as you would. But it's absolutely trivial to add more memory if you take 20 minutes with a phillips head screwdriver.

More like 2 minutes, unless your laptop is macbook levels of locked down.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
So, the Asus Zenbook UX305LA just came down to $699.99 on Amazon, and it strikes me as a pretty nice looking deal based on the comparisons I've seen to other Zenbooks/ultrabooks. The only thing I'm debating is whether I should wait longer and expect it to get even cheaper or not.

You guys have any thoughts on this deal vs any other ultrabooks, or on Zenbooks in general? I haven't been able to try one in person, but I like what I've read about the build quality and such.

ASUS Zenbook UX305LA
13.3 inch
Intel Core i5 5200u 2.2 GHz
8 GB DDR3
256 GB SSD
Intel HD 5500 graphics

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is with the purple monkey avatars all of a sudden

Somone else with a purple monkey avatar was asking about the difference between a rMBP and a XPS 13 and then I see your post also with a purple monkey asking about an ASUS XU305 which is similar but a big step down in quality.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
It's BonziBuddy, the new Stupid Newbie.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

blowfish posted:

More like 2 minutes, unless your laptop is macbook levels of locked down.

I'm accounting for the occasional stripped screw and excessive caution :P

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Sorry if this has already been discussed before earlier in the thread but is getting a skylake laptop worth it? I am looking for an ultrabook in the $600-$900 Canadian range for the usual light gaming/programming stuff but i'm not sure if I should just get some older refurbished thing or something new with one of them newfangled skylaky things.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

HP Pavilion 15-p046no

I7 2ghz
12 gigs RAM
Geforce 840m

Asus F550JK-DM248H

I5 2.8ghz
6 gigs RAM
Geforce 850m

If you're planning on buying the HP Pavillion, be warned that upgrading the memory requires complete disassembly of the laptop, I watched this at 2x speed and lost track at 20 screws and 5 ribbon cables, but it's probably 25 screws, some of which are unscrewed from the side of the inside of the battery cavity.

I could probably do it, but I've also taken apart 3-4 laptops before on my own and I'm highly confident on my mechanical and spacial abilities regarding taking things like that apart and putting it back together again without mishap. My buddy (#9 in our HS graduating class of 1200) tried to "fix" the misbehaving keyboard on his laptop by reseating the ribbon cable for his keyboard, and now his trackpad AND keyboard are non-functional.

This isn't the EXACT model, but it's probably 97%+ the same to the model you listed above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuovxquGRFk

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I've looked a bunch at Panasonic laptop disassembly (as you might have seen) and what's real weird is that every single one of their laptops I've looked at has exactly

Hadlock posted:

20 screws

that you have to remove to detach the bottom from the top.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Makes you appreciate business class laptops that Dell, Lenovo, HP and others build where you can get at the ram, hard drive, keyboard with just 2-4 screws and doesn't require total disassembly of the device. The screen is slightly more work, but that's just the way things work.

Ram upgrade on my X230 was under 90 seconds, most of that time was spent marveling at how thin the magnesium RAM cover was, and particularly that they went through the effort of painting the part around the silver-colored frame black where the screw hole was, just in case someone ever unscrewed that particular screw.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The old Panasonics seem to all have one RAM slot accessible and another that requires disassembly to access -- if both aren't accessible. But the latest round like the SZ5 above is now just on-board only. 16 GB on-board (for $3237 on conics.net, not joking, yeah gently caress that), or (I think) 4 GB on-board and no slot. No more access panels. But hey, the T450s is the same way.

I had to reapply thermal paste after disassembling a CF-Y7 I bought for like $125. It did run a lot quieter after that...

I guess it makes sense if you're trying to hit 2.05 lbs, with separate weights listed for every different hard drive configuration. They'll ship 2.5" SATA SSDs naked (a circuit board in the non-static plastic foam-padded packaging that rotational hard drives also come in) to save precious weight. Which is fine, structurally, but kinda funny.

Edit: Also, the Lenovos typically have, or had (sigh), hard drive access with one screw. And it was big enough that you could unscrew it with your tongue.

Of course some have zero-screw HDD swap options. It's zero on old Lenovos if you use the ultrabay. And HP/Dell have their thing.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 23, 2015