Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress this state

quote:

About a dozen protesters — most carrying long guns, some masked and one with his mother — lined up outside an Irving mosque on Saturday. They had come from as far away as Hunt County to the green-domed complex. To “Stop the Islamization of America,” as the mother’s hand-drawn sign urged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

From as far away as the Dallas 'burbs!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

Lloyd Doggett and Marc Veasey voted for the republican anti-refugee bill for some reason.

Geoff Peterson posted:

It was very clearly unwhipped-suggesting the Dems know it'll die in the Senate-without requiring any vote that could be used against them later. For reference, it was such a nonissue that Muslim MN rep Keith Ellison flew home instead of delaying his trip to vote.

Unlikely to face a challenge from the left over these votes ("I'm not denying entry! Just insisting on proper security to keep us safe!") But it may help them in their next general. It's still cowardly, of course, but the media has overhyped the nonsymbolic importance.
Still kinda disappointed in Doggett for this, he's supposed to be cooler than that.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 22, 2015

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol imagine a bunch of Muslims with guns "protesting" in front of a church and what the reaction would be.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Days since Texas has embarrassed itself on a national scale: 5 0

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Goddamnit. Also, as gun-nut as Texas is, DFW seems to be even more gun-nut than that. What is wrong with the goddamned metroplex?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

e_angst posted:

Goddamnit. Also, as gun-nut as Texas is, DFW seems to be even more gun-nut than that. What is wrong with the goddamned metroplex?

Not only is DFW ultra-gun-nut, it's also ultra-religious. Worst combination ever.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

e_angst posted:

Not all him but, he's bug-hosed crazy.

edit: it's Kory Watkins for anyone wondering

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

fade5 posted:

Still kinda disappointed in Doggett for this, he's supposed to be cooler than that.

Here is why he voted that way (in his words)
http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/31365/guest-post-rep-doggetts-expanded-comments-on-syrian-refugees

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

radical meme posted:

Not all him but, he's bug-hosed crazy.

edit: it's Kory Watkins for anyone wondering

What the gently caress does anyone need that kind of drum magazine for??? For fucks sake.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Jiro posted:

What the gently caress does anyone need that kind of drum magazine for??? For fucks sake.

People with OCD need something that's guaranteed to consistently jam.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Because nothing looks more American than intimidating your neighbors for their religion.

2nd Amendment is the new 1st Amendment

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that Kory Watkins and co. actually won this session so expect them back in Austin threatening lawmakers next year as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Reminder that Kory Watkins and co. actually won this session so expect them back in Austin threatening lawmakers next year as well.

Jesus loving Christ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know how the state of Texas is currently betraying our forefathers by restricting gun ownership or access to ???? but I'm sure we'll all find out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I don't know how the state of Texas is currently betraying our forefathers by restricting gun ownership or access to ???? but I'm sure we'll all find out.

By not allowing citizens to threaten public officials apparently.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm legitimately scared about open carry. I don't want to be around people carrying guns around at the grocery store. :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smoobles posted:

I'm legitimately scared about open carry. I don't want to be around people carrying guns around at the grocery store. :(

Luckily nothing really changed. They are now just allowed to carry handguns around in addition to assault rifles. I'd be surprised if there are even a thousand people that open carry every day.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

smoobles posted:

I've seen soldiers carrying assault rifles in grocery stores in Mexico. It is very disturbing, and if that happens in the states I'll fight the government to get back my America. :tinfoil:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nonsense posted:

I've seen soldiers carrying assault rifles in grocery stores in Mexico. It is very disturbing, and if that happens in the states I'll fight the government to get back my America. :tinfoil:

Eh, soldiers carrying assault rifles wouldn't bother me that much. They are soldiers.

Regular citizens, on the other hand? gently caress that poo poo.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Well, Watkins didn't really win in the last session.

Basically, he wanted a completely free open carry (which his group calls "constitutional carry"), where anyone can carry any type of gun they want openly everywhere. (Everyone can already carry a long-guns openly, because hunting.)

The legislator went and legalized open carry of handguns for anyone with a conceal-carry permit. This was a shrewd political move, because most of the statewide gun-nuts are perfectly happy with that, and it's a thumb in Kory Watkins' eye. (Many legislators were tremendously pissed off at the way his group was carrying out their lobbying.)

Basically, Kory Watkins wants to be able to pack a pistol, but he has a criminal record and that keeps him from getting a conceal-carry permit. So trying to get "constitutional carry" passed was his way to get around that and allow him to carry his pistol as long as it isn't concealed. Now that's not going to happen, and his position is a whole lot weaker to try and get "constitutional carry" passed in the next session (because 95% of the gun nuts now have everything they want).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Eh, soldiers carrying assault rifles wouldn't bother me that much. They are soldiers.

Yeah and I'm not even sure it would be peak Texas, we'd outdo ourselves within a few months.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

enraged_camel posted:

Literally no one who wants soldiers carrying in public has had to spend any time around soldiers.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

go3 posted:

Literally no one who wants soldiers carrying in public has had to spend any time around soldiers.

I'm from Turkey, where that is a common sight, so you're wrong. Thanks for trying though!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol owned

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

CommieGIR posted:

By not allowing citizens to threaten public officials apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Archive_War

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and bet the rules about carrying rifles on a base are fairly tough, whereas on civilian turf it's a free for all.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

e_angst posted:

Watkins stuff

Well now that we got guns in school those kids are going to need basic marksmanship skills so...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Texas is taking another step into cartoon villainy and threatening to sue the nonprofit organization that resettles Syrian refugees if they send any to Texas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sue them for what?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Sue them for what?

If you read the letter it's literally threatening to sue them for not going along with Abbott's unilateral action of "hey let's just stop taking refugees" which has no legal basis at the moment.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Sue them for what?

I've no idea. I don't think Texas has any laws against bringing refugees into the state.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're about to find out because the first Syrian refugees since Abbott's "order" are coming to Dallas on Friday

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

No Safe Word posted:

If you read the letter it's literally threatening to sue them for not going along with Abbott's unilateral action of "hey let's just stop taking refugees" which has no legal basis at the moment.

I guess Abbott's takeaway from being Attorney General was "hey, frivolous lawsuits and lawsuit threats do have a chilling effect!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

When I put my ear to the ground I can hear the furious stamping tantrums across the state. .

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm kind of surprised they're announcing this, because I would be terrified of this refugee I'm trying to help being confronted with an angry mob as he leaves the airport.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm kind of surprised they're announcing this, because I would be terrified of this refugee I'm trying to help being confronted with an angry mob as he leaves the airport.

I guess you don't want to create a perception that you're trying to sneak people into anywhere? I'm sure they're preparing to deal with mobs with more security. Well, I hope they are.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BTW George and Laura prefer corn tortillas to flour.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/corn-or-flour/

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What are the best corn ones out there for your average shopper? I love HEB's Butter Tortillas, but I should branch out.

They just so tasty and mmmmmm
:btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Roumba posted:

What are the best corn ones out there for your average shopper? I love HEB's Butter Tortillas, but I should branch out.

They just so tasty and mmmmmm
:btroll:

HEB corn tortillas, duh.

Also, Abbott has decided to sue: http://www.texastribune.org/2015/12/02/texas-sues-feds-over-syrian-refugees/

Apparently Texas was not sufficiently consulted about these refugees.