Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lotka Volterra posted:

Why is "mainstream media" not decrying the fact that Trump is literally calling for people that disagree with him to be violently assaulted?

Has the overton window shifted that much?

Did you miss the period in this country where the mainstream media was 100% calling anyone opposed to war as Anti-America and pro-Jihad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Why is "mainstream media" not decrying the fact that Trump is literally calling for people that disagree with him to be violently assaulted?

I think if the Liberal Cable Media says that beating up black people is bad they'll lose their 70-year-old on average viewership.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Trump might stop giving them access.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Lotka Volterra posted:

If they do they'll get blacklisted instantly, and Trump is the only ratings draw in this entire election. This primary is a constant referendum on media cravenness.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lotka Volterra posted:

They really, really want him to win the primary so they'll shield him as necessary until he does.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

I don't think even Hitler personally oversaw and goaded on rear end-kickings at public gatherings.

Hitler tended to frame himself as the adult in the room who was more reasonable than some of his more thuggish underlings and would restrain them when necessary, at least to the larger voting public in the early 30s. Trump feels more like Rohm or Rosenberg.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Republicans posted:

They really, really want him to win the primary so they'll shield him as necessary until he does.

A lot of the media is rooting for Rubio. It's why people keep giving him superlatives his polling doesn't support.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Trabisnikof posted:

A lot of the media is rooting for Rubio. It's why people keep giving him superlatives his polling doesn't support.

Well yeah, they need a "not Trump" to make the primary seem interesting and they've already burned through Fiorina and Carson so now it's Rubio's turn. And once he's spent they'll move on to Cruz.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Can we start legitimately referring to Trump as a fascist yet? He's got the "policy of belligerent nationalism and racism" plank down pat, and now he's fine with his supporters beating up protesters so that checks off the "suppression of the opposition through terror or censorship" plank.

If "fascism" doesn't fit him at this point, what does? This isn't a rhetorical question, if there's a term that better suits him I'd like to hear it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Can we start legitimately referring to Trump as a fascist yet? He's got the "policy of belligerent nationalism and racism" plank down pat, and now he's fine with his supporters beating up protesters so that checks off the "suppression of the opposition through terror or censorship" plank.

If "fascism" doesn't fit him at this point, what does? This isn't a rhetorical question, if there's a term that better suits him I'd like to hear it.

I'm fine with still referring to him as a Republican.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Trabisnikof posted:

Did you miss the period in this country where the mainstream media was 100% calling anyone opposed to war as Anti-America and pro-Jihad?

Yeah, but I was thinking we had started to move back into a more sane direction as opposed to just pretending we weren't brownshirts.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Trump might stop giving them access.

saintonan posted:

If they do they'll get blacklisted instantly, and Trump is the only ratings draw in this entire election. This primary is a constant referendum on media cravenness.

It's sad that this is the most likely scenario, and another reason all mainstream media must die.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yes feel free to call him a fascist.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's sad that this is the most likely scenario, and another reason all mainstream media must die.

On the other hand, Trump lives or dies, possibly literally, depending on how much media attention he can get and how much of a circus act he can make his campaign. That's more leverage on their side, if they aren't too dumb to realize it (a massive assumption on my part, admittedly).

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

On the other hand, Trump lives or dies, possibly literally, depending on how much media attention he can get and how much of a circus act he can make his campaign. That's more leverage on their side, if they aren't too dumb to realize it (a massive assumption on my part, admittedly).

What about their quarterly ratings?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
He lives, he dies, he lives again

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Get ready to change the thread title again

"I obviously am not happy about the events that happened last week in Paris, but I think it is a positive development. It has suddenly cast, forced Americans to confront more carefully the issue of national security because it is the most important thing a president will do and it the most important function of the federal government. And I hope we focus on that note more, not just for political advantage, but because the world has become a very dangerous place" - Marco Rubio

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Teflon Don posted:

He lives, he dies, he lives again

pretty sure you could boil donald trumps entire existence down to the phrase "witness me"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

this. I believe that even if he wins the nomination(which he has a decent chance at) he is screwed in the general election. i mean he is a loud radical dickhead bigot who lives in a literal palace of Versailles and with a trophy wife and probably a few bastards. the man is a bully and rear end in a top hat. and most of my moderate conservative relatives hate his guts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MbSaKgt5RE the comments of this video are amusing. anyway, i honestly dont think moderates/bluedogs/minorities/liberals/lefties will vote for him.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 22, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

The Aristocrats!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

He openly politicized a terrorist attack, said it was good for the U.S., and admitted he will use it as campaign fodder ("not just for political advantage"). This should destroy Rubio, and yet it won't. Why is that? Do we truly live in a political climate where candidates can express openly the most heinous poo poo knowing that they can't actually be criticized?

"The media misinterpreted..."
"I'm just speaking on behalf of Americans too afraid to voice their opinions..."
"Liberals are playing 'gotcha' with my statements..."

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Speaking a little bit too candidly Rubio. I am relieved though- I was starting to think that Rubio was going to be very good at not saying stupid things which would make him a formidable candidate for the GOP.

Edit: This is how CNN is phrasing it: "Rubio: Focus on national security 'positive development'"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Naet posted:

He openly politicized a terrorist attack, said it was good for the U.S., and admitted he will use it as campaign fodder ("not just for political advantage"). This should destroy Rubio, and yet it won't. Why is that? Do we truly live in a political climate where candidates can express openly the most heinous poo poo knowing that they can't actually be criticized?

"I'm just speaking on behalf of Americans too afraid to voice their opinions..."

I was talking to someone about this earlier and I said "This will destroy Rubio's career.... oh wait" and then remembered its 2015 and we've lost our minds nothing seems to tank Republicans anymore.

I kind of feel bad for Todd Akin. I feel like you could totally get away with "legitimate rape" today.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

Speaking a little bit too candidly Rubio. I am relieved though- I was starting to think that Rubio was going to be very good at not saying stupid things which would make him a formidable candidate for the GOP.

Edit: This is how CNN is phrasing it: "Rubio: Focus on national security 'positive development'"

He was the only one left I thought stood a chance too. Bush could have had that but he saw what the office does to people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

STAC Goat posted:

I was talking to someone about this earlier and I said "This will destroy Rubio's career.... oh wait" and then remembered its 2015 and we've lost our minds nothing seems to tank Republicans anymore.

I kind of feel bad for Todd Akin. I feel like you could totally get away with "legitimate rape" today.

I'm sure Vitter wishes that were true.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gonna be real loving disappointed if Trump or maybe Jeb! doesn't hoist him from this one.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Lotka Volterra posted:

On the other hand, pushing more towards a decentralized news media means access is even more crucial for survival, giving campaigns more leverage and further reducing actual investigation and real questions

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

On twitter, CBS headlined the video of the man being assaulted at the Trump rally as "Fight breaks out between black lives matter protester and trump supporters" :rolleyes:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Welp, Rubio had one job which was, "just please don't say anything" and he done hosed it up.

Consequences haven't been a running theme in this primary so far so I'm legit interested to see where this goes

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Bullfrog posted:

On twitter, CBS headlined the video of the man being assaulted at the Trump rally as "Fight breaks out between black lives matter protester and trump supporters" :rolleyes:

Funny how these fights only break out between Trump supporters and minorities and never occur at other candidates' rallies.

But pointing that out would be taking sides, wouldn't it?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Gonna be real loving disappointed if Trump or maybe Jeb! doesn't hoist him from this one.

Hahaha why would you think a Republican would get called out by other Republicans for warmongering and scaremongering?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

Bullfrog posted:

Your liberal media at work, folks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Link to Tweet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Naet posted:

except he said it on fox. if he had said it on any other network the right might look the other way on his stupid statement. but he was on home/safe soil when he said it. so he cant get away with blaming the "liberal" media.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oooh he is going the racial realist rout. seems like he is trying to collect all the bigots.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oooh he is going the racial realist rout. seems like he is trying to collect all the bigots.

How much racial realism is based on made up statistics with no source or grounding in reality? For example, there is no such thing as a Crime Statistics Bureau in SF

Investigating the "sources" on right wing meme posts has been pretty fun I must say. They really just put whatever they want, assured in the confidence that nobody will even google it

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Even giving the whole "twisting statistics to fit a narrative" angle, this isn't even true. The majority of white people are killed by white people, not black people.

But watch the media not touch this at all.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Percent of what?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Naet posted:

As mentioned above, the media are cowards and will never criticize a candidate for anything other than superficial things because it would jeopardize ratings and relationships with the corporations that fund them (never mind the oligarchs that own them are all in favor of promoting these guys at all costs, because their policies help them). The only thing that will likely cause the media to dog pile is if a politician is caught with a dead boy or a live girl, because access and cooperation with oligarchs isn't exactly an issue if the politician's dead in the water (and thus useless to the 0.1%) already.

EDIT:

Bullfrog posted:

The truth is somewhere in the middle. The black lives matter protester is angry because blacks are being killed by the police, sure, but the Trump supporters deserve an echo box. I guess we'll just have to hem and haw and disagree and just let this pass, because maybe that protester was actually being annoying to those Trump supporters and deserved it!

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 22, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SedanChair posted:

Percent of what?

I have no loving idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Percent of what?

Narrowly defined statistics that fit the narrative.

• Locked thread