Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

karn1635 posted:

I know you guys are balls deep in P:SMD but I was just wondering if there is anything in ORAS I should immediately start going out of my way to collect or do that I will regret not having started by the time I reach the end of the game and start breeding/battling online etc...

Make sure to explore thoroughly and collect items as you go along! It's annoying having to comb through a place you've already been to for an item you missed. Also take note of areas that are blocked off by HMs: pools of water and rivers/oceans, waterfalls, Cuttable trees, large rocks, and Rock Smash rocks. Usually those areas have prizes!

mabels big day posted:

Its team ACT from the first game!

That is awesome and I want this mission, if only to be bros with team ACT. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

This game is really making me want to go back and replay the first pokemon mystery dungeon. I remember the plot was really intense for a pokemon game and half the game was running away from angry townsfolk, but not much else.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

karn1635 posted:

I know you guys are balls deep in P:SMD but I was just wondering if there is anything in ORAS I should immediately start going out of my way to collect or do that I will regret not having started by the time I reach the end of the game and start breeding/battling online etc...

That really depends how you play the game. I for one don't like it to be "over" so the more I can do after the main game ends, the better. Like was said, nothing is unmissable. I keep giving myself new challenges: Get every Vivillon, Unown, every form of all 3 Pokemon in the Florges line, every Sawsbuck and Deerling, every hat in the Battle Maison- that was the hardest one- and most recently every Arceus plate. I got every ribbon possible to get in normal gen 6 play on two of my favourite Pokemon. It'd be different if I played any other video games, I think. But the short answer to your question is "not really".

Exception: Those random fuckin' secret islands etc. with TMs on them, that you can Soar to. Do those as they come up and keep checking them until you've explored them all. I found out I was missing Gyro Ball (not a move I'll ever use, but ~completion~) and it was a pain in the rear end checking every day and not having its island appear for like a week.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Pro tip for the new mystery dungeon: it feels like the maps are a lot larger, so it's often worth it to set one of your party pokemon to search the map on his own.

(this might have been a thing in previous games, but I didn't really play a ton of the postgame in those.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm so happy you can rescue yourself now since I got slayed by my first Monster House.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I just beat the 50 battle bosses in the Battle Maison's multi battle using an AI partner because I'm a crazy person who hates himself.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I just did a magical girl transformation and became my final-evolved form to defeat entei :allears: this is a good game.

Also, I think if a dot is orange on the bottom screen, it's a pokemon you've never talked to/registered in your communication orb. I'm not sure if there's any point to registering a pokemon early, but I've been talking to all of them.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 22, 2015

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I am so loving pissed at SMD right now, I can't get it to loving start. I tap the bottom screen and press A until my finger falls off and all it does is tell me, "We're going to the Pokemon world! :downs:" and it never does anything past that. I just want to play this stupid game. Why do they have this part at the beginning anyway? Why am I more incompetent than an eight year old, apparently, since they expect eight year olds to loving do this?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Lobster posted:

I am so loving pissed at SMD right now, I can't get it to loving start. I tap the bottom screen and press A until my finger falls off and all it does is tell me, "We're going to the Pokemon world! :downs:" and it never does anything past that. I just want to play this stupid game. Why do they have this part at the beginning anyway? Why am I more incompetent than an eight year old, apparently, since they expect eight year olds to loving do this?

If it's the part I'm thinking of, hold your finger there. The game has a few communication hiccups, like in an Alliance tutorial it says to "lightly press R" instead of saying "tap R" and I started wondering if the New 3DS had analog shoulder buttons and I was screwed or something.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

The Lobster posted:

I think you're just supposed to hold it?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Press your finger on the touch screen just a little bit harder than you think you need to. It needs to register your "aura". It's a vital step.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

make sure you envision your chakras flowing through your body into your fingertip

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
You can also just hold the A button.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Benach posted:

do not sabotage this poor poster's destiny like this

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Benach posted:

The gently caress?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
You must channel your energies into your right thumb. Or rather, do something...A-buttonish?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pyroi posted:

You must channel your energies into your right thumb. Or rather, do something...A-buttonish?

You must show your dedication to progress by holding the counterpart of the B-button, the force of stagnation.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Apparently Pokemon with gender differences also count as different Pokemon for the connection orb. I already have a male Wobbuffet on my team, and I'm getting a request from a female one. Guess they really want you to make use of all their Pokemon models. :v:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

haha, enemy zorua disguised as something else are easy to notice because the type effectiveness of your moves will still show up as the pokemon being dark type no matter what

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

Apparently Pokemon with gender differences also count as different Pokemon for the connection orb. I already have a male Wobbuffet on my team, and I'm getting a request from a female one. Guess they really want you to make use of all their Pokemon models. :v:

Yeah. This counts even for the most minor and tiny differences too btw so two Torchics even though the gender difference is literally a spot that was a single pixel on their backsprite.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah. This counts even for the most minor and tiny differences too btw so two Torchics even though the gender difference is literally a spot that was a single pixel on their backsprite.

What a shitload of gently caress. You can't even nickname em.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Bruceski posted:

If it's the part I'm thinking of, hold your finger there. The game has a few communication hiccups, like in an Alliance tutorial it says to "lightly press R" instead of saying "tap R" and I started wondering if the New 3DS had analog shoulder buttons and I was screwed or something.

Beekeeping and You posted:

I think you're just supposed to hold it?

mabels big day posted:

Press your finger on the touch screen just a little bit harder than you think you need to. It needs to register your "aura". It's a vital step.

Ruggington posted:

make sure you envision your chakras flowing through your body into your fingertip

Benach posted:

Pyroi posted:

Geostomp posted:

You must show your dedication to progress by holding the counterpart of the B-button, the force of stagnation.

Oh my God. I feel like such a moron. I was literally tapping the bottom screen/A-button for 20 loving minutes and then I held my finger to the screen and it works in like five seconds. Thank you posters, and I hope small children are smarter than I am because that was some bullshit nonsense with translation or something right there. I work at a GameStop and I know what I am definitely going to be explaining to parents over the next few weeks. Sheesh.

Seriously, my thumb and sanity are indebted to you, Pokegoons.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I picked a fire type and am on a map where half the guys know Rock Blast

boy do I have egg on my face

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Starsnostars posted:

I just beat the 50 battle bosses in the Battle Maison's multi battle using an AI partner because I'm a crazy person who hates himself.

Nice! Which Pokemon, and which partner?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Oh my God. I feel like such a moron. I was literally tapping the bottom screen/A-button for 20 loving minutes and then I held my finger to the screen and it works in like five seconds. Thank you posters, and I hope small children are smarter than I am because that was some bullshit nonsense with translation or something right there. I work at a GameStop and I know what I am definitely going to be explaining to parents over the next few weeks. Sheesh.

Seriously, my thumb and sanity are indebted to you, Pokegoons.

I hope you enjoy the game, my friend.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Lobster posted:

Oh my God. I feel like such a moron. I was literally tapping the bottom screen/A-button for 20 loving minutes and then I held my finger to the screen and it works in like five seconds. Thank you posters, and I hope small children are smarter than I am because that was some bullshit nonsense with translation or something right there.

Well, who did you get? Don't leave us hangin.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Since the quiz questions (and occasionally answers ) are random can you even get some mons on your first try? My results told me I was the collected intelligent type and should play Pikachu even though I choose to be late for school, listened to pop music and ran around like a spaz looking for my wallet.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 22, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So, I'm regretting picking Pikachu/Fennekin for my team 12 hrs in or so.

Fennekin is cool, but statwise seems kinda lovely. His stats are equal or lesser to Pikachu's in every area, by 10 in Sp. Attack!, at level 20 except for a 1 point bonus in defense. On the plus side Fennekin's model is amazing for all the cutscenes and Flamethrower/Psybeam/Ember make him a competent sniper and support unit.

Pikachu is a ridiculous destroyer of worlds. Like Electro Ball and Grass Knot are literally all you need, he just wrecks poo poo.

However, I finally got the in-battle evolution in the fight with Entei and uh I wish I had picked pokemon who's evolutions I liked. :(

The team name just being whatever you typed+ the has been great though.

THE RAT defeated X

THE RAT befriended X

makes me giggle every time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress, you don't even like Raichu?!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

What the gently caress, you don't even like Raichu?!

Raichu is okay but I already have one :(

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

The White Dragon posted:

Well, who did you get? Don't leave us hangin.

So I herd I liek Mudkips, apparently! And then it told me my buddy should be Tepig.

I remember the very first PMD I played I got Cubone! :3:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hey, any moves you've powered up will carry over to all Pokemon who knows those moves. That's handy.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
So, thinking about the holidays coming up and decided I wanted to distribute a bunch of pokes on wonder trade again this year. I did 1000 extremespeed dratini last year. I know starters are always in high demand but I was thinking something a little more unusual. Friend of mine suggested aerodactl. Any other suggestions?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Some of these dungeons don't mess around. :stare: I took in a team of level 50s in a "Super Difficult" dungeon and they still got taken out a few times.

Also, use your items. They make things so much more bearable.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

lokipunk posted:

So, thinking about the holidays coming up and decided I wanted to distribute a bunch of pokes on wonder trade again this year. I did 1000 extremespeed dratini last year. I know starters are always in high demand but I was thinking something a little more unusual. Friend of mine suggested aerodactl. Any other suggestions?

Aerodactyl is a cool one. I would be excited to get a Ditto because then I could breed more easily. Eevees are easy and always a hit, but also pretty typical. Of course my favorite Pokemon is Mew. :3: Maybe Larvitar? Those were a few that immediately sprang to mind.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Beekeeping and You posted:

Also, I think if a dot is orange on the bottom screen, it's a pokemon you've never talked to/registered in your communication orb. I'm not sure if there's any point to registering a pokemon early, but I've been talking to all of them.

Yeah, orange dots are Pokemon you haven't talked to, blue dots are ones already registered in your orb, and red ones are ones that will join you if you talk to them. Doesn't explain the blue dot Sylveon I ran into before I got the Communication Orb but oh well.

Also even though everybody probably already knows this, when you run into a Pokemon in a dungeon it'll say "The Communication Orb is reacting" or something and it'll register that species in the orb.

I already have Victini, which is pretty quick to get a legendary to join, the only other one I can remember where this happened was GtI where Virizion joined pretty close to the beginning.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pastrymancy posted:

I picked a fire type and am on a map where half the guys know Rock Blast

boy do I have egg on my face

Fortunately you don't have to bring your player character or partner to any dungeon (outside story ones)! So just put together a team of guys who don't get so owned by Rock Blast!

If it's a story dungeon, uh... see if you can switch leader? Hope you pick up the Emera orb that protects against multi-hit attacks? I forget what it's called.

Anyway, I recruited Team ACT from the first game! I immediately sent them out together to a dungeon where I had 3 objectives to do, and I swear there were optional objectives on like every other floor! First an outlaw Yanma (who got away from me, the fucker!), then a hungry Omanyte (who said something about "Your Omanyte is back" - reference to Twitch Plays Pokémon???), and then a wandering Pokemon who restored my HP, PP, and Belly right before the boss!

All in all, Team ACT cleared out that dungeon like the badasses they are! :D

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Some of these dungeons don't mess around. :stare: I took in a team of level 50s in a "Super Difficult" dungeon and they still got taken out a few times.

Also, use your items. They make things so much more bearable.

I find Items are the deciding factor for the tougher dungeons, the more anti bullshit devices you can truck around the better. Bronze explorer level just got me a 40 slot bag and having room for another couple of totter/slow orbs really makes a difference in the monster houses.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

lokipunk posted:

Pokemon with moves that you normally have to prevent evolution for many consecutive levels in order to learn conventionally, then load 'em up with useful/difficult egg moves or late-game TMs for the remaining slots. Spore / Seed Bomb / Drain Punch / Focus Punch Shroomish, for instance, or Selfdestruct / Fissure / Curse Munchlax, or Vacuum Wave / Nasty Plot Riolu.

Extremespeed Dratini would still be good, as Dratini is unobtainable in ORAS. Strong or otherwise cool pokemon that are either rare or unobtainable in ORAS are good choices too, like Starly (some good egg moves would be Double-Edge, Roost, and Steel Wing), or Swinub (Avalanche, Ice Shard, Earthquake). Here are some lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Fortunately you don't have to bring your player character or partner to any dungeon (outside story ones)! So just put together a team of guys who don't get so owned by Rock Blast!

If it's a story dungeon, uh... see if you can switch leader? Hope you pick up the Emera orb that protects against multi-hit attacks? I forget what it's called.

I don't think you're allowed to switch leaders in story dungeons, but they usually give you a Pokemon who's well suited to that one to help tip the odds in your favor.

• Locked thread