Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Epic High Five posted:

How much racial realism is based on made up statistics with no source or grounding in reality? For example, there is no such thing as a Crime Statistics Bureau in SF

Investigating the "sources" on right wing meme posts has been pretty fun I must say. They really just put whatever they want, assured in the confidence that nobody will even google it

i wasn't defending him. i was saying citing bullshit statistics about how blacks are dumb violent animals who kill everything is trope/trait of racial "realist" dickheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i wasn't defending him. i was saying citing bullshit statistics about how blacks are dumb violent animals who kill everything is trope/trait of racial "realist" dickheads.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that you were, I was just commenting on your post and using it as a jumping off point. Sorry for the confusion

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Epic High Five posted:

Oh I didn't mean to imply that you were, I was just commenting on your post and using it as a jumping off point. Sorry for the confusion

yeah, after reading it a second time i got that impression. its cool.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Another interesting thing is that nobody in the media is crying about "Free Speech" for this man, or for the journalists that Trump kicked out in the past.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SedanChair posted:

Percent of what?

Crime Points

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Percent of what?

81% of all whites are at one point killed by blacks. Even if you didn't know that in your head you probably knew it in your gut.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Modus Pwnens posted:

81% of all whites are at one point killed by blacks. Even if you didn't know that in your head you probably knew it in your gut.

I was killed by blacks just the other day, for instance.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

"In America, we know giving 110% isn't enough these days. That's why we give 200% in everything. Even murder rates"

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oooh he is going the racial realist rout. seems like he is trying to collect all the bigots.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

They couldn't even go the easy route and just stick in random murder counts to make the same point. They went full dumbass and put in random percentages that don't add up or make sense, and they cite a completely nonexistent entity.

They really don't think much of the intelligence of their own base, do they?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They couldn't even go the easy route and just stick in random murder counts to make the same point. They went full dumbass and put in random percentages that don't add up or make sense, and they cite a completely nonexistent entity.

Those percentages add up once you realize what it's trying to say: its the percent of that race killed by that group. You'd expect them to add to 200% (100% for whites, 100% for blacks). Its dumb as hell, but that's not why.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

To be fair, how many people really know where 'spade a spade' comes from anymore?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Those percentages add up once you realize what it's trying to say: its the percent of that race killed by that group. You'd expect them to add to 200% (100% for whites, 100% for blacks). Its dumb as hell, but that's not why.

I still don't get it. 81% of whites killed are not killed by blacks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

fknlo posted:

Just read The Bell Curve and you'll understand, jeez.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Yo, it's blacks killed by xxxx as a percentage of all blacks murdered, same for whites. That's why it adds up to 200%, is 2 data sets on one graphic.

Who knows I'd it's true though, and its definitely but normalized by population percentage.

E: beaten by evilweasel

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

pathetic little tramp posted:

To be fair, how many people really know where 'spade a spade' comes from anymore?

Wait is that phrase secretly racist?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They're not wrong.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

fknlo posted:

If he makes his base think that they're dying to black gun violence it means they don't have to parse the fact that they're dying by their own hands disproportionately

Random Number posted:

Yo, it's blacks killed by xxxx as a percentage of all blacks murdered, same for whites. That's why it adds up to 200%, is 2 data sets on one graphic.

Who knows I'd it's true though, and its definitely but normalized by population percentage.

E: beaten by evilweasel

How dare you throw dirt on the reputation of the Crime Statistics Bureau of San Francisco

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dr Pepper posted:

"Spade" is a racial slur against blacks, but the phrase "call a spade a spade" predates the slur.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

pathetic little tramp posted:

Nicolas Udall's 1542 translation of Erasmus' translation of Plutarch's Apophthegmata Laconica.

So probably not referring to the racial slur.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GalacticAcid posted:

"Spade" is a racial slur against blacks, but the phrase "call a spade a spade" predates the slur.

Significantly. In fact, fewer people probably even know a spade is even a slur (I didn't).

Pathetic little tramp is probably just being :smug: and thinks it originated as a slur

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 22, 2015

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Dr Pepper posted:

Depends on how you look at it. The phrase "call a spade a spade" was a mistranslation from an old Greek phrase, but specifically "spade" became a coded term for a black person in the 1920s.

efb

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Naet posted:

He openly politicized a terrorist attack, said it was good for the U.S., and admitted he will use it as campaign fodder ("not just for political advantage"). This should destroy Rubio, and yet it won't. Why is that? Do we truly live in a political climate where candidates can express openly the most heinous poo poo knowing that they can't actually be criticized?

"The media misinterpreted..."
"I'm just speaking on behalf of Americans too afraid to voice their opinions..."
"Liberals are playing 'gotcha' with my statements..."

The reason things got like this is that there is no alternative to Fox News to frame these kinds of insane things like they do. Our "leftist" media is so desperate to see both sides of the story that they have no actual opinions and promote no actual progressive agendas

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Lotka Volterra posted:

Even giving the whole "twisting statistics to fit a narrative" angle, this isn't even true. The majority of white people are killed by white people, not black people.

But watch the media not touch this at all.

Yeah, pretty sure they flipped the numbers:

code:
Race of	victim	|  			Race of offender			
	Total 	|  White	%White		Black		%Black
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White	3,128	|  2,614	83.57%		431		13.78%
Black	2,648	|  193  	7.29%		2,412		91.09%
Based on simple percentages of the totals from the numbers here: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...fender_2012.xls

Unless there's a special San Fran bureau that I can't find.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 22, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rexicon1 posted:

The reason things got like this is that there is no alternative to Fox News to frame these kinds of insane things like they do. Our "leftist" media is so desperate to see both sides of the story that they have no actual opinions and promote no actual progressive agendas

To be clear, you're advocating for partisan media...

The problem seems to be ratings/profit driven media rather than partisan media (which has always loving existed)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

the_paradigm_shift posted:

That was specifically about refugees crossing state lines and settling there.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nobody said governors wouldn't ignore reality and no, he doesn't have (legal) authority to blackmail groups that use federal funds like that. If he follows through and fucks with their ability to operate he's going to get taken to Federal court and he's going to lose.

No. The claim was specifically about federal placement of refugees to specific states.

There's a lot of revisionism and backtracking going on here. Do you need me to go back and quote post by post just to prove this (minor) point?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress man, trump is legit sounding like a fascist now.

Trump is the embodiment of the far right clamoring to unleash the Id and to just say/do what's secretly on their minds already, namely: "murder and crush the non-white upstarts" (insert your own vulgar ethnic slur) AKA "I wish those black/brown/poor people would just go away and die, it's annoying to hear/see them."

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 22, 2015

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Boon posted:

The problem seems to be ratings/profit driven media rather than partisan media (which has always loving existed)

I prefer actual unbiased, independent media but that's null now that right wing media has obliterated our understanding of media as a whole.

If this is the way it's going to be then we need people who will spend an entire show describing how much of a piece of poo poo trump is. The best we ever had as an alternative to it was the daily show.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
People thinking "call a spade a spade" is racist is at least not as weird as when people started thinking "picnic" was.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rexicon1 posted:

I prefer actual unbiased, independent media but that's null now that right wing media has obliterated our understanding of media as a whole.

If this is the way it's going to be then we need people who will spend an entire show describing how much of a piece of poo poo trump is. The best we ever had as an alternative to it was the daily show.

It has literally always been this way in one form or another...

You're being ridiculous pretending this is something new just because the 24/7 media cycle became a thing.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, I realized that as soon as I hit post. Still, the "whites killed by blacks" stat is likely flipped, there isn't a SF crime bureau that I'm aware of that does national statistics, and we're just now arguing that keeping stats on police shootings is a thing that needs to be done.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah, I realized that as soon as I hit post. Still, the "whites killed by blacks" stat is likely flipped, there isn't a SF crime bureau that I'm aware of that does national statistics, and we're just now arguing that keeping stats on police shootings is a thing that needs to be done.

A meme creator made up poo poo to fit a racist narrative for their echo chamber? Well I'll say!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Boon posted:

There's nothing wrong with partisan media as long as they tell the truth. No one will deny that Rachel Maddow is a huge liberal, but if what she says is true who cares?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mr Jaunts posted:

Depends on how you look at it. The phrase "call a spade a spade" was a mistranslation from an old Greek phrase, but specifically "spade" became a coded term for a black person in the 1920s.

efb

I remember when I first realised that the poker game Chicago gave half the pot to the highest spade in the hole and went "ohhhhh."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Is there a single republican candidate that hasn't lost their mind? I'm used to them being lovely people, but I feel like this election is going even crazier than usual when it comes to this stuff.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mulva posted:

There's nothing wrong with partisan media as long as they tell the truth. No one will deny that Rachel Maddow is a huge liberal, but if what she says is true who cares?

Yeah a good point

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a single republican candidate that hasn't lost their mind? I'm used to them being lovely people, but I feel like this election is going even crazier than usual when it comes to this stuff.

We rate this as mostly true since there is no need for the word "candidate" to be used in this statement.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Internet Kraken posted:

That depends, does Former Virginia Governor Jim Gilmore still technically being a candidate despite having literally 0 supporters count as losing ones mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWAQ255qhs

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

People thinking "call a spade a spade" is racist is at least not as weird as when people started thinking "picnic" was.

I'm almost afraid to know what the story behind this is

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Dr. Tough posted:

I'm almost afraid to know what the story behind this is

http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/picnic.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mulva posted:

There's telling the truth and then there's not reporting on things that should be reported on or using certain kinds of framing. It's tempting to boil it down to "the truth" but it doesn't translate into a functional fifth estate.

• Locked thread