Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Move somewhere with no rust. :smug:

I recently did, it's quite nice.

Also, Buick is becoming alarmingly good lately.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-buick-lacrosse-official-photos-and-info-news

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wheeee posted:

It does disengage at 40km/h, yea. Not so much saying the Toyota has a better AWD system as that it appears to have a good enough AWD system combined with not being a Subaru.

With regard to that video, I have no dog in this fight, but any test like this which doesn't standardize tires and test all traction control and stability modes, including disabled (When you just need to get a car moving in Real Winter you generally want those off), is not very useful.

I also understand that Consumer Reports' demographic is the sort of idiot gently caress who can't figure out the controls of a mildly complex microwave or survive a three-inch snowfall without Blizzaks and 4WD.

Well they do acknowledge it's not a direct comparison of the AWD systems, it's a comparison of the vehicles as they came from the factory which for most of the public, which I think is their target audience for these comparisons, this is how they'll drive their cars. As they came from the factory.

All that video really shows is that the forester is the best factory option for most of the general public. You can try to infer that it might come with better tires, has the best AWD system, best traction control programming, or whatever. But you'll need more appropriate testing to determine those things with a higher level of certainty.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wheeee posted:

With regard to that video, I have no dog in this fight, but any test like this which doesn't standardize tires and test all traction control and stability modes, including disabled (When you just need to get a car moving in Real Winter you generally want those off), is not very useful.

I also understand that Consumer Reports' demographic is the sort of idiot gently caress who can't figure out the controls of a mildly complex microwave or survive a three-inch snowfall without Blizzaks and 4WD.
I think it's basically that they don't expect people to be intelligent enough to use winter tires, or to use anything other than what came with the car, so just like actual drivers are going to be driving them as-bought, they test them as such.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Move somewhere with no rust. :smug:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Wheeee posted:

The year is 2016.

The ultimate advanced hybrid car is a Chevy.

Up is down and black is white.

When I had heard that they were investing $1 billion in AI research, I was hopeful that they'd be doing something cool. It turns out their goal is to create a car which will take control to prevent crashes, but not offer any real self-driving capability. Apparently, Toyota management is deluded enough to think that their customer base includes the people who complain about self-driving cars taking the fun out of driving.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

The honda ridgeline is probably gonna show up in detroit.

It's honda, so expect such exciting features as a multi-cylinder internal combustion engine and 4 wheel braking.

The front end seems super duper minivanish though.
That looks like a super tiny cargo box for a truck.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Wheeee posted:

I recently did, it's quite nice.

Also, Buick is becoming alarmingly good lately.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-buick-lacrosse-official-photos-and-info-news

I really like the shape of the greenhouse.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Good looking car for it's segment.

I wonder what the brand perception of Buick is amongst their target demographic. I know mine is skewed. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If nothing else, I'm really glad they finally started coloring the TriShield again. It's a minor thing, but monochrome Buick badges always seemed like they were trying to hide the fact that it's a Buick.

(Maybe they were :v:)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

So they are using the minivan platform this time?

Didn't they start with the Odyssey last time too? At any rate I don't like how Honda is sticking the CRV in a photocopier and scaling it up. The proportions that work at that scale look janky as gently caress on a Pilot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ilkhan posted:

That looks like a super tiny cargo box for a truck.

Welcome to 2016.

Tundry Crewmax with 5 1/2' bed.

Ford 5 1/2' bed.

Dodge with 5'-7" bed.

Chevy with 5 1/2' bed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yet try telling buyers they really want a sedan or a hatchback, and they yell at you.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
CAFE killed large sedans. Manufacturers are basically penalized for building big sedans, but trucks with a sub 6 foot bed are good to go.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

To be fair, that one time every 3-5 years that I need to pick up a refrigerator, washing machine, or other large appliance, it won't fit in the back of a large sedan or hatchback. Renting a truck on those occasions is for plebes.

Also, I don't own a truck currently so I had to get my new washing machine delivered. It was terrible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Locator posted:

To be fair, that one time every 3-5 years that I need to pick up a refrigerator, washing machine, or other large appliance, it won't fit in the back of a large sedan or hatchback. Renting a truck on those occasions is for plebes.

Also, I don't own a truck currently so I had to get my new washing machine delivered. It was terrible.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=M3H#photos-videos

+

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-mesh-floor-utility-trailer-4-ft-x-7-ft-2-000-gvwr

You don't need a loving truck to carry a refrigerator.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

My entire truck cost only $200 more than that trailer, and is a lot easier to back up :v:

big V8 sport sedan for daily driving, piece of poo poo truck for when I need a truck. If I charged other people to use it I could even make a profit!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

My entire truck cost only $200 more than that trailer, and is a lot easier to back up :v:

big V8 sport sedan for daily driving, piece of poo poo truck for when I need a truck. If I charged other people to use it I could even make a profit!

I'm making the assumption he can't have / doesn't want a beater truck. Also, registration and insurance is a lot higher on a beater truck than a trailer. No point if you're only going to use it "once every 3-5 years."

A hatch with a small trailer will handle the carrying needs of 99% of the population.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Depends on how often you need to carry that fridge.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Get something big enough to tow a Uhaul trailer, or rent a truck from Home Depot for $20 plus gas / mileage. A small Uhaul trailer only costs $15 to rent, no mileage fees, and it seems like places that have them on hand are loving everywhere.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
5'8" beds are standard on crew cab trucks although you can usually get a 6' as an option. It's fine and once again AI is just bitching because for some reason the idea of a nice truck is verboten and these idiot sheeple should just buy sedans or a track rat Miata with a trailer hitch and God damnit after I get done replacing the entire cooling system on my piece of poo poo bmw I'm going to explain to them what they really need in a vehicle :qq:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Depends on how often you need to carry that fridge.

What, are you taking it back home to your parents' every weekend? :v:

Dislike button posted:

5'8" beds are standard on crew cab trucks although you can usually get a 6' as an option. It's fine and once again AI is just bitching because for some reason the idea of a nice truck is verboten and these idiot sheeple should just buy sedans or a track rat Miata with a trailer hitch and God damnit after I get done replacing the entire cooling system on my piece of poo poo bmw I'm going to explain to them what they really need in a vehicle :qq:

Or maybe just the point that most people don't actually need a truck. My dad has a truck, and he uses it all the time to carry mulch or gravel or whatever. My ex mother in law has a bigger truck and uses it to go to Walmart.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 22, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't know about you guys, but I bought a semi for that one time I might move across the country. Gonna save myself some serious cash if it ever happens :smug:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Most people don't need a race car or a 500 horsepower sedan or a Corvette either but get this: people like different things! loving weird right

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Dislike button posted:

Most people don't need a race car or a 500 horsepower sedan or a Corvette either but get this: people like different things! loving weird right

That's fine, just be honest and say "I bought a giant truck because it improves my self image" or whatever, instead of "I need it to be able to bring home the appliances I buy once every 5 years".

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I just keep a load of gravel in my bed at all times so the dudes driving around in their civics don't judge me

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dislike button posted:

You ain't too bright, maybe this will help you understand.

Before you come back with more misused forum emotes: Nobody is saying people aren't allowed to like different things, shut up and go sit in your truck until you feel better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dislike button posted:

I just keep a load of gravel in my bed at all times so the dudes driving around in their civics don't judge me

"I wonder why everyone in this neighborhood has chipped windshields?"

GokieKS posted:

That's fine, just be honest and say "I bought a giant truck because it improves my self image" or whatever, instead of "I need it to be able to bring home the appliances I buy once every 5 years".

This.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Dislike button posted:

Only counts if you drop it into the bed from six feet up everyday.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

razorscooter posted:

Only counts if you drop it into the bed from six feet up everyday.

Just like in the commercials.

Wheeee posted:

You ain't too bright, maybe this will help you understand.

Before you come back with more misused forum emotes: Nobody is saying people aren't allowed to like different things, shut up and go sit in your truck until you feel better.

I think you might have some brain problems. Here's an emote for you :fuckoff:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GokieKS posted:

Or some people just like trucks, and that's where it ends.

I laugh when I see people driving them that obviously have no use, but who loving cares?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

iwentdoodie posted:

Or some people just like trucks, and that's where it ends.

I laugh when I see people driving them that obviously have no use, but who loving cares?

Yeah pretty much, no need to make it more complicated than it is.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys remember when the EPA said the 3.0l V6 diesels were cheating too, and VW denied it? They've stopped denying it and admitted guilt.

http://jalopnik.com/epa-volkswagen-admits-3-0-liter-v6-diesels-violated-em-1743809215

Because the way to get a lighter sentence is to make the cop do more work.

We had two tanks of gas, seventy-five droplets of additives, five feet of high power jumper cables, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored crimpers, connectors, fasteners, zip ties... and also a quart of Valvoline, a quart of Techron, a case of brake cleaner, a pint of raw urea, and two dozen port holes.

Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious Bug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iwentdoodie posted:

...but who loving cares?

People like me who would love to drive a large, full size, RWD sedan (that isn't a "luxury" brand that is eating the CAFE fines) but can't, because they've been regulated out of existence. :(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MrYenko posted:

People like me who would love to drive a large, full size, RWD sedan (that isn't a "luxury" brand that is eating the CAFE fines) but can't, because they've been regulated out of existence. :(

You basically described most new trucks, that weigh similar and get better mileage in most cases. They're just taller.

I'd love to have the same, but no one bought them when they DID exist outside of geriatrics, cops and taxi companies. So they died. Sucks, but it happened.

Best you can do is go buy a panther.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

We had two tanks of gas, seventy-five droplets of additives, five feet of high power jumper cables, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored crimpers, connectors, fasteners, zip ties... and also a quart of Valvoline, a quart of Techron, a case of brake cleaner, a pint of raw urea, and two dozen port holes.

Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious Bug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The only thing that really worried me was the urea. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a car in the depths of a urea binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. Probably at the next emissions station.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrYenko posted:

Hyundai is probably the only one now

Also apparently there's a smaller midsized rwd sedan coming for their new Genesis lineup

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

I guess it depends on what your definition of "luxury brand" is, but generally those are still around and just called SUVs. There is the perpetually in development RWD Cadillac full-size that should be out soon although the CTS seems to be plenty big although not quite S-class big. I think the Genesis is more of a 5-series/E-class mid-size competitor. I'd love a used Marauder personally

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

GokieKS posted:

Are people who buy trucks based on the basis of "I'll need it to bring home appliances every once in a while" really any different from the enthusiast crowd who claims "They need that 600 HP sedan and will totally track it every month!*" ?

Also, while you can cram things into the back of a hatch or Tetris your way into a sedan, it is really nice to be able to just huck everything in the back or on the roof and be done with it.
But perhaps this why we need a return of the small truck. Or just wait for proper full trunked station wagons to come back in vogue.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Are people who buy trucks based on the basis of "I'll need it to bring home appliances every once in a while" really any different from the enthusiast crowd who claims "They need that 600 HP sedan and will totally track it every month!*" ?

No. Now the people who demand 600 HP in their Caterham....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, while you can cram things into the back of a hatch or Tetris your way into a sedan, it is really nice to be able to just huck everything in the back or on the roof and be done with it.
But perhaps this why we need a return of the small truck. Or just wait for proper full trunked station wagons to come back in vogue.

No, they aren't different at all they just value different things. Vehicles are emotional purchases otherwise we would all be driving stripper model Nissan Micras or whatever.

Somewhat related but I saw a brown E63S wagon a few weeks ago that checks so many boxes but unfortunately costs about $115,000.