Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

adhuin posted:

Everyone can see Avengers powers. They're fantastic powers, but also physical and easy to understand.

Kilgrave (about his powers)
doesn't have any special FX:s attached to his powers. He just tells you what to do and you will do it. There's nothing comparable outside the X-men, which are non-MCU.

I really dug the "confession" scene (sorry, can't remember the specific episode) where Kilgrave tells his mother to pick up the scissors, Jessica excitedly says,"That's it, that's proof!" and Clemons replies,"....what proof?" because just picking up a pair of scissors when asked does not immediately scream,"MIND CONTROL!" to people

Of course, things quickly escalate from there, but the point is unless he's doing something showy with his powers in public (which he rarely did) they're extremely easy to hide/go unnoticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
1x13

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Or she could have just told Kilgrave during his brief flirtation with heroism, "YES, your actions CAN wipe out old debts! Let's go tell the DA to drop all charges!" and then put fifteen bullets in his skull.

But saving Hope wasn't about saving Hope, it was about saving Jessica. Jessica only superficially cares about Hope and whether she ends up in jail or not - what she really wants is for Hope to be redeemed and forgiven in the eyes of society, so that Jessica can also be forgiven, and so that she can forgive herself. Just busting Hope out of jail somehow (including the way Hope eventually got released) doesn't actually achieve what Jessica wants at all. Neither does killing Kilgrave.

PantsBandit posted:

I'm about halfway through the season now. It's mostly been pretty great, though the episode where she thought she was going to go to supermax was way cheesy for some reason

Primarily though I wanted to say that David Tennant absolutely kills it as Kilgrave. Best casting decision in the show, easy.

edit: Oh also it's very silly how often Jessica gets shoved around by normal humans.

This was my biggest problem with the fight scenes. Not just were they :mediocre:, they did a really awful job of showing Jessica as having any kind of heightened strength or other abilities, especially early on. Later they got a bit better with it, but not much.

Well, that and the really really obviously ADR'd in dialogue was super grating and the super jumps looked stupid as hell almost every single time. God, that dubbed in stuff was maybe the most annoying part of the show for me.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 22, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

zoux posted:

This post is a good demonstration about how you should never be allowed to criticize someone else's writing.

He's 100% right.

Or is this something else where you need photographic evidence first

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
They put the line ... inside of us.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Drifter posted:

One has karate action scenes, the other has untrained bar-fight flailing action scenes.

Old post, but I caught that early on. I thought it worked well with the characters. They got superstrength/invulnerability/healing or whatever, and have leaned on that ever since. And never having been truly tested, they just go with what works.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Toxxupation posted:

In the history of the moving picture never before and never will there ever be a line of dialog as loving terrible as "You let me be (pause for emphasis)....inside you"

Jeremy Clarkson plays the best Luke Cage.........in the world.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

Crow_Robot posted:

Finale spoilers:
Then why does she wear the headphones? It doesn't need to be a hermetically sealed room. Who cares if you get infected with his virus if you can't hear him.

Finale spoiler: It was shown that she could hear him through the headphones, but I think the mind control failed, because Kilgrave kept saying 'Jessica Jones, do X', and it wasn't Jessica Jones. The headphones was probably a ploy to make Kilgrave think that it was some kind of countermeasure.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I wouldn't have bought the mind control thing if I was a cop/judge/juror or whatever here. Just because one weird thing exists doesn't mean all weird things exist and I don't think the Loki thing was very widely publicized.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Sharmat posted:

I wouldn't have bought the mind control thing if I was a cop/judge/juror or whatever here. Just because one weird thing exists doesn't mean all weird things exist and I don't think the Loki thing was very widely publicized.

I know that there's been a lot of logistical issues preventing crossing over xmen and the rest of the marvel universe. That said, wouldn't the average person in the Marvel Universe know about Professor X at the very least?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Sharmat posted:

Yes, there's that scene early on where people come out of the woodwork to talk about Kilgrave encounters and most of them are either people looking for excuses or who are clearly mentally ill themselves, and it's only because Jessica has firsthand knowledge of him that she is able to pick out the genuine victims - to anybody else, they're ALL just a bunch of nutcases or opportunists.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

I know that there's been a lot of logistical issues preventing crossing over xmen and the rest of the marvel universe. That said, wouldn't the average person in the Marvel Universe know about Professor X at the very least?

No because Professor X literally does not exist in the MCU.

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, there's that scene early on where people come out of the woodwork to talk about Kilgrave encounters and most of them are either people looking for excuses or who are clearly mentally ill themselves, and it's only because Jessica has firsthand knowledge of him that she is able to pick out the genuine victims - to anybody else, they're ALL just a bunch of nutcases or opportunists.

Which is of course in support of the whole surviving rape thing. Rape being a crime that's very difficult to conclusively prove happened and all.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Regarding people who met Kilgrave, the actors playing people who weren't lying were surprisingly good at appearing broken and despondent, utterly shaken at how easily he brushed their will aside and used them. I also liked the scene because it demonstrated how Kilgrave really is that child to whom no one ever could say no. He likes your coat, or your smile, or your music? It's his. Period. And he'll never know why that's not the right thing to do. After all, he just wants some music and a pretty face to go with it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Even in his very last scene he never admitted to raping or hurting anyone. When he's going to abduct Trish he still qualifies it with "From your perspective, I'll be raping her".

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Wondering if anything will come of (1x13)Claire now having a syringe full of Luke's brain juice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

demota posted:

Wondering if anything will come of (1x13)Claire now having a syringe full of Luke's brain juice.

This was a really bad show for needlephobes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think there's anything special about 1x13 Luke's cerebrospinal fluid. I guess there's some DNA in it but I get the idea that's probably being kept somewhere already..

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm still not exactly clear how 1x13 Luke became injured? I mean I know he took a shotgun blast to the face or chin rather, but he survived a building exploding. It just seemed rather convenient.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

I'm still not exactly clear how 1x13 Luke became injured? I mean I know he took a shotgun blast to the face or chin rather, but he survived a building exploding. It just seemed rather convenient.

Blunt force trauma. His skin is indestructible but the rest of him isn't. On the outside he was completely unscathed but the force of the gun still transferred through his tissues and hosed up his brain. I thought that was actually cool and clever.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Blunt force trauma. His skin is indestructible but the rest of him isn't. On the outside he was completely unscathed but the force of the gun still transferred through his tissues and hosed up his brain. I thought that was actually cool and clever.

Thank you! I knew it was something simple I was missing!

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Obviously he needed to be stopped but I'm not sure he did much of anything that was illegal enough to put him away for life. All he did was tell people to do things, and like he argued himself, how do you know whether people are doing it of their own volition or that they had no agency

I mean I suppose the threats, blackmail, and being an accessory to a million murders is still there but let's say his powers stop working one day and he gets arrested for the events in Jessica Jones. What happens next?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Sharmat posted:

An MCU Law & Order would probably be good for a bit. At least until the ADA gets fired and asks if it's because she's a mutant despite it never being mentioned before. I'd assume they'd develop a special unit to investigate any crimes dealing with super powers. Of course the problem is that the police and prosecutor are always going to be on the side of calling bullshit, so you're going to get a lot of people faking mind control and making false astral projection claims, giving the audience a skewed view of superhuman victims.

Hollismason posted:

1X13
Killgrave had Luke more or less fire bomb his bar. Which made one of those super pretty Hollywood explosions that aren't as powerful as they look. Likely he was somewhat protected from the full blast by bar furniture and distance from the actual explosion point.

Conversely Jessica pulled the trigger to a shotgun with it's barrel sitting on Luke's chin. Instead of a simple concussive blast radiating from the point of explosion, he got hit with a metal projectile riding the explosion of essentially a shaped charge.

Plus the bar explosion would hit his full body instead of being concentrated down to a small point on his chin. Even then, he staggered out of the bar explosion and fell to the ground. Considering that he has way higher durability than Jessica and she was essentially OK just 20 or so feet away, the explosion was enough to really hurt Cage but not significantly harm him.

The explosion was like being in a side collision in a car with full airbags and a seat belt at 30mph while the shotgun blast was like getting a sucker punch uppercut by an angry Mike Tyson in his prime. Both will gently caress you up, but for a guy with unbreakable skin the Mike Tyson punch is going to do more damage.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Superstring posted:

You know how there's a subset of people who want their superhero/comic stuff dark and gritty? I like to imagine the producers of the show reading and hearing about that and going, "gently caress YO poo poo! We'll show you how dark and gritty poo poo can get."
"But it's about problems WOMEN face!"
*finger on neckbeard's monkey's paw curls"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ravel posted:

Obviously he needed to be stopped but I'm not sure he did much of anything that was illegal enough to put him away for life. All he did was tell people to do things, and like he argued himself, how do you know whether people are doing it of their own volition or that they had no agency

I mean I suppose the threats, blackmail, and being an accessory to a million murders is still there but let's say his powers stop working one day and he gets arrested for the events in Jessica Jones. What happens next?

1X13
The plan was to prove Killgrave's powers and then use that proof to back the charges of all the rape, theft, murder, arson, child endangerment, kidnapping, breaking and entering, assault, etc. victims they could find. Hope and Jessica alone would probably be several dozen or so rape and sexual assault, a couple kidnapping, several assault, several battery, and 3 murder charges.

It was a plan with a lot of holes in it being devised for purposes of vindication and revenge. Show the world that Killgrave is the one responsible for all of this horror and finally everyone can move on and be made whole. The one guy gets his kid back, Jessica and Hope are exonerated of murder, and everyone understands that they aren't crazy and that they didn't want to do those things. They were forced to do those things, and that acknowledgement will lessen the pain and make them able to sleep at night. Except that guy who lost his coat, don't think he's ever going to get his coat back. Poor guy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The pacing of this show is kinda weird. I liked the front half of the season more. I would've liked if they'd had more episodes where Jessica does actual, ya know, PI work? But most of the time it's just Kilgrave is captured, escapes, gets captured again, etc

The first real confrontation with Kilgrave should've come way later in the season imo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the series could have been an entire episode shorter honestly.

Ravel posted:

They actually set up a supervillain that could only logically be dealt with by killing him. and then killed him.

It's weird that this is a novelty to me but that's comic book adaptations for you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Sharmat posted:

I think the series could have been an entire episode shorter honestly.

Probably could have done it in 10 or 11.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

1x08

There was a small moment I really loved with the servants where, when Jessica and Kilgrave return to the house, they immediately breathe a sigh of relief that they don't have to skin each other's faces. And then Kilgrave opens his mouth and they're immediately horrified and despondent again that Kilgrave is back in the house. It happened within a split second but it was just a really cool bit of acting.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

Probably could have done it in 10 or 11.

Yeah probably. And again while I liked the highs better than Daredevil's highs, I can't remember anything outright stupid in Daredevil like 1x11 the support group just suddenly deciding to assault Jessica at the behest of crazy lady and accidentally free Kilgrave

Serf
May 5, 2011

Season spoilers

I liked the part where Malcolm said that Kilgrave's powers weren't magic because elves don't exist, when in Thor 2 we learn that they are unfortunately very real.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah probably. And again while I liked the highs better than Daredevil's highs, I can't remember anything outright stupid in Daredevil like 1x11 the support group just suddenly deciding to assault Jessica at the behest of crazy lady and accidentally free Kilgrave

Yeah that was honestly loving stupid. Since when does "confront" mean "bash open the door and throw against a wall"?

They went from 0-100 real drat quick.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That guy loved that jacket Kilgrave stole from him in a way we may never be able to truly appreciate.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I really really really craved the death of the girl from the Amazing Incest Twins (because holy poo poo did they do everything but come out and say it) and I'm very sad she didn't get axed. You had one loving job, Kilgrave. :negative:

Anyway here's a fun idea for those of you who aren't finished yet: The Jessica Jones drinking game!

• Take a shot whenever there's an awkward sex scene
  • Take a shot whenever Jessica hisses "poo poo!"
  • Take a shot whenever Trish presses the intercom button
  • Take a shot every time Nuke does something really unbalanced
  • Take a shot whenever Jessica takes a shot
  • Take a shot whenever David Tennant

See you in the hospital! :haw:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Serf posted:

Season spoilers

I liked the part where Malcolm said that Kilgrave's powers weren't magic because elves don't exist, when in Thor 2 we learn that they are unfortunately very real.

Except those are Dark Elves. We have no proof Regular/Light elves exist.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm on E5 and having a great time. The show's emotional heaviness makes it distinctly different from other Marvel shows and movies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Regarding attempts to disable/neutralize Kilgrave, it annoys me that they clearly didn't even Google sufentanil. Not only is it just a strong loving narcotic, but there literally is an oral formulation. They at least could have gone with a dissociative agent like ketamine or something to eplain why they needed to break into a hospital, but as written they would have gotten the same effect by shooting him up with heroin. Which in a way would be funny, since once he was addicted he would probably just use Malcolm to keep getting him more heroin and wouldn't care about Jessica. Problem solved!
My anesthesiologist friend says propofol would have been easier to get anyways. I guess it's like the methylamine in Breaking Bad: they had to make it something hard to get for dramatic purposes, even if it's not the most realistic.

Woden
May 6, 2006

XboxPants posted:

1x13

But saving Hope wasn't about saving Hope, it was about saving Jessica. Jessica only superficially cares about Hope and whether she ends up in jail or not - what she really wants is for Hope to be redeemed and forgiven in the eyes of society, so that Jessica can also be forgiven, and so that she can forgive herself. Just busting Hope out of jail somehow (including the way Hope eventually got released) doesn't actually achieve what Jessica wants at all. Neither does killing Kilgrave.

1x13

Her name is freaking Hope, they weren't being subtle about it at all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

AtraMorS posted:

Wasn't there a tiny bit in Agents of Shield's first season that talked about how, aside from Loki's staff, they've never, ever recorded any instance of true telepathy or mind control in humans? I don't remember the context, but I remember Coulson being very adamant about it. Like, they've run into it before, but up until the Scarlet Witch, it's all been Asgardian or otherwise alien in nature.
Yeah, this was in one of those earlier eps when the show was...let's say...still finding its footing. :v:

It was such a bad line. Not in the "You let me..........inside you" kind of bad, but bad in the way that AoS had such stuffy lifeless worldbuilding during that first season. No one at Marvel should have okayed the idea of their secret paranormal spy agency denying the possibility of mind control.

What's hilarious is that Agent Carter -- which was supposed to be set decades before Agents of SHIELD -- would go on to showcase mind control as a major plot point a year later.

e: And then it was revealed on AoS itself that Agent May's backstory specifically involved a mind-controlling superhuman! Which Coulson was present for! So the two exact characters on the show who scoffed at the idea of mind-control were the two characters who had actual experience with it!

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 23, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kheldarn posted:

Except those are Dark Elves. We have no proof Regular/Light elves exist.

Would anyone on Earth who's not in SHIELD or the British military know what exactly those were? I always figured the London attack was deemed another alien attack by most people on Earth.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BrianWilly posted:

What's hilarious is that Agent Carter -- which was supposed to be set decades before Agents of SHIELD -- would go on to showcase mind control as a major plot point a year later.

Nah, that was hypnosis. It's a scientific thing, completely different than just saying something and they do it. You'll probably see that if you think about it. You just need to focus. Concentrate. Listen to the sound of my posts. Buy me archives. It will help you figure out the difference between hypnotism and mind control, but I need you to focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't hear you I got earplugs in.