Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

OPSEU says the LCBO already has plenty of experience and secure infrastructure to handle legal marijuana sales in Ontario.

Bonus points: The spokesman's name is Smokey.

This is for no other reason than to secure more jobs for opseu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
its a terrible idea to sell weed and liquor in the same place

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

How the hell is chrystia freeland on bill maher

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RBC posted:

its a terrible idea to sell weed and liquor in the same place

Why? Of course they should be sold at the same place, and that place should be every corner store and grocery, because we're adults who can make our own choices about what to consume.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 2, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Ontario gets 2 billion a year from our liquor monopoly. Wynne will definitely fight to sell weed through LCBO. Helps pump up the value for when they sell it off too.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

Why? Of course they should be sold at the same place, and that place should be every corner store and grocery, because we're adults who can make our own choices about what to consume.

It's a horrible, horrible idea to mix consumption for starters.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
welp.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Unironically agreeing with PT6A at least insofar as Quebec has corner stores that sell booze and smokes, and (big) grocery stores have pharmacies with over-the-counter-medication sections and also sell sugar/garbage food and drinks that people consume irrationally.

Betting Loblaws would probably love to sell weed to people in the same store visit that they are picking up their munchies. Talk about synergy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

Oh, trust me, I learned that lesson by myself quite a long time ago. That doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't sell them at the same place, because just because you buy something doesn't mean you're immediately going to use it. It's the same reason I find the idea of service hours for liquor stores to be absurd.

EDIT: Same thing with drive-thru liquor stores. It seems funny, but it's no more dangerous than any other form of liquor distribution. Like people can't have a roadie if they park the car and actually walk inside of the liquor store first, or something...

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 22, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is it bad that the first thought that popped into my head is "What did the RCMP set up this time?" :smith:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Is it bad that the first thought that popped into my head is "What did the RCMP set up this time?" :smith:

A little. Means you are turning into rime. I just know I am gonna get emails blaming refugees for this.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kenny Logins posted:

Unironically agreeing with PT6A at least insofar as Quebec has corner stores that sell booze and smokes, and (big) grocery stores have pharmacies with over-the-counter-medication sections and also sell sugar/garbage food and drinks that people consume irrationally.

Betting Loblaws would probably love to sell weed to people in the same store visit that they are picking up their munchies. Talk about synergy.

Pcpoints: Buy 1oz of weed and get 50% off your corresponding Doritos purchase

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Rime posted:

How so? I mean sure you get completely hosed up but I don't see how the health effects are any different than doing the substances separately. If people want to get hosed up on weed and booze I don't really see how that's the governments problem

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

How so? I mean sure you get completely hosed up but I don't see how the health effects are any different than doing the substances separately. If people want to get hosed up on weed and booze I don't really see how that's the governments problem

We can also put warning labels on marijuana packages or liquor bottles that say that combining the two will get you really, unpleasantly intoxicated if you aren't careful, just as the government is wont to remind me that cigarettes are dangerous and addictive and I'm a bad person for smoking in the car or something.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Looks like Ms. Wynne and the Ontario Liberal spin doctors are at it again! Big Booze and the OLP Pot-sticklers to sell combined Marijalcohol to leave thousands of honest Ontarians with the spins! Shame on the OLP, Ontario founder Chester Ontario is sure to be left spinning - in his grave!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Looks like Ms. Wynne and the Ontario Liberal spin doctors are at it again! Big Booze and the OLP Pot-sticklers to sell combined Marijalcohol to leave thousands of honest Ontarians with the spins! Shame on the OLP, Ontario founder Chester Ontario is sure to be left spinning - in his grave!

I had to check three times to make sure it was not itkansti. Then again you could replace my posts with a Markov chain of "Trudeau Good gently caress"

......OK let me rephrase that "trudeau loving good"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't really like the idea of the government having a profit based incentive to harass pot growers or sellers. Decriminalization is good but imposing a restrictive government monopoly isn't. I really hope that legalization involves letting people grow their own stuff instead of cracking down harder than ever on growers to protect government or private corporate interests,

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah, maybe pot growing can be the new "craft brewing" industry or instead of people owning and running vineyards they do that with weed farms instead.

Frequent use of "job creators" and "small business" abound for the legislation, with a slightly less focus on the "middle class"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Grats on your carbon tax, PT6A.

quote:

Alberta’s new climate-change plan will introduce a carbon tax for all individuals, phase out coal pollution and plants by 2030, set a greenhouse-gas-emissions cap on oilsands production and pump money back into the pockets of Albertans and businesses to help with the transition.

It will also cut methane emissions by 45 per cent from 2014 levels by 2025. Methane is roughly 30 times more potent than carbon dioxide as a heat-trapping gas.

Electricity and renewables

— Alberta will phase out all pollution created by burning coal by 2030, and transition to more renewable energy and natural-gas generation. The province promises the plan will provide reasonable electricity prices for consumers and businesses.

— Within the next months, the government will set up a facilitator and negotiator to work with coal-plant operators to figure out how best to move forward, since the province’s 18 coal-fired electricity plants currently create 55 per cent of the province’s electricity.

— Two-thirds of coal-generated electricity will be replaced by renewables, mostly wind power.

— Renewable-energy sources will comprise up to 30 per cent of Alberta’s electricity production by 2030.

“Government will ensure that workers, communities and affected companies are treated fairly in this process,” reads a background document.

Carbon pricing

— A carbon tax will be introduced on all emitters, including regular citizens driving cars and heating their homes. A $20-per-tonne, economywide levy will start in January 2017, then increase to $30-per-tonne in January 2018. For the average household, that means about $320 extra in 2017 for gas, natural gas and electricity, and $470 in 2018.

— But the carbon plan, which will bring in an estimated $3 billion, aims to be revenue neutral, with the government offering rebates through various programs to approximately 60 per cent of people with Alberta’s lowest income.

— A portion will be spent on measures to reduce pollution, including clean-energy research, green infrastructure and public transit. Other money will help individuals and families “make ends meet,” and will help people working in affected coal facilities. Money will also help small businesses and First Nations transition to cleaner energy initiatives.

Emissions

— A legislated emissions cap of 100 megatonnes will be introduced on oilsands operations, which currently emit roughly 70 megatonnes of greenhouse gases per year. The legislation is expected to be introduced in the spring. Previous forecasts have suggested Alberta’s oil and gas sector will hit 100 megatonnes in emissions by 2030. The cap will not cover any new upgrading and cogeneration facilities, which will allow another 10 megatonnes.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...sands-emissions

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't wait to read Albertans CBC article comments over this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm just glad those cunts finally found something else to tax apart from my loving liquor, to be real honest with you. I don't drive much and my electricity bills are very reasonable, so I'm not particularly fussed by this, all things considered.

I wish nuclear power was a part of their plan, but I knew it wouldn't be owing to Rachel Notley being congenitally loving retarded. I also think it's loving retarded that's it's revenue-neutral. gently caress that; we need money, we're introducing a tax, why then go gently caress our own asses by giving away money elsewhere?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

I don't really like the idea of the government having a profit based incentive to harass pot growers or sellers. Decriminalization is good but imposing a restrictive government monopoly isn't. I really hope that legalization involves letting people grow their own stuff instead of cracking down harder than ever on growers to protect government or private corporate interests,

Hahah we all loving know what's going to happen

Liberals gonna liib

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Hasn't that always been more or less the political endgame with marijuana? Sell it so you can tax it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Slightly Toasted posted:

Hasn't that always been more or less the political endgame with marijuana? Sell it so you can tax it?

I certainly think so. The government shouldn't "harass" growers or sellers, just make sure that they're paying the taxes and following (hopefully minimally-restrictive) rules. It's like having a still in your house; you probably won't be bothered if it's just for personal use, but you're still breaking the law.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I hope and suspect that in BC at least the current dispensaries will be grandfathered into whatever new distribution scheme they enact.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Slightly Toasted posted:

Tax it has kill a bunch of semi-organized crime off.

We are going to have to kill a bunch of prision sentences however.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

A little. Means you are turning into rime. I just know I am gonna get emails blaming refugees for this.

That is kind of what I meant but yeah, I dont want to be rime. :cry:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Tax it has kill a bunch of semi-organized crime off.

We are going to have to kill a bunch of prision sentences however.

This post looks suspiciously as if it's written in English, but looking closely, it's actually not.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
My first thought was "Some retard teenagers / redneck bigot really hosed up this time. Alberni, what a shithole, why am I not surprised."

So don't worry, you're not turning into me. :downs:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rime posted:

My first thought was "Some retard teenagers / redneck bigot really hosed up this time. Alberni, what a shithole, why am I not surprised."

That's what I thought, though, so it's still possible you're turning into me.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ladies, ladies, you're both awful.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

If your first thought after hearing about a pipe-bomb being left in someone's driveway is Islamic terrorism, you obviously haven't lived in North America for as long as you think you have.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Slightly Toasted posted:

I can't speak for others but I mostly support changing the law to reduce the power of the police and also because its a cruel and stupid waste of resources to prosecute people for smoking pot.

Taxes don't actually finance government spending so while I'm willing to tolerate user fees and sin taxes up to a point I don't actually think they make very much economic sense, except insofar as the reigning economic orthodoxy would punish us for not pretending that government spending needs to follow the same logic as household spending.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

angerbeet posted:

Ladies, ladies, you're both awful.

Rime turning into me? Y'all should be so lucky! :v:

PS: these are not my preferred pronouns!

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I'm not a pot user either, but I support its legalization insofar as it removes bullying power from the police, which is disproportionately used on minorities as a veil for discrimination -- while politically favoured groups can commit the same "crime" over and over, getting off scot-free each time. It's one of those things where if it is truly impossible for us to do it fairly, then we shouldn't really be doing it at all.

I'm somewhat saddened that particular aspect of pot legalization hasn't really gotten much airtime. It would logically follow that users in support of legalization would be a larger voting bloc, but if the Liberals were to take the social justice aspect of it more, they could frame legalization as a principled choice; the right thing to do. In lack of that, it would follow that they're getting accused of pandering/enabling by moral alarmists. (However, given the way the right wing media have been acting lately, that probably would've happened regardless.)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
List the number of successful convictions in the last 10 years for growing pot for personal use. I guarantee you police do not give a flying gently caress.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cultural Imperial posted:

List the number of successful convictions in the last 10 years for growing pot for personal use. I guarantee you police do not give a flying gently caress.

Police responded to a report of a break in near one of my old neighbour's house and while checking out the area they hopped the low fence into his very visible field of pot and tomatoes. They gave a quick search looking for anything the prowler might have dropped and left, no fucks given to the backyard pot plantation.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Police responded to a report of a break in near one of my old neighbour's house and while checking out the area they hopped the low fence into his very visible field of pot and tomatoes. They gave a quick search looking for anything the prowler might have dropped and left, no fucks given to the backyard pot plantation.

In BC I could see this happening. Here in Ontario it would be a whole different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lo and behold spurious arguments against a non existent war on drugs in Canada

But guys this is the most fascinating public policy issue of the millennia