Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

yeah, while how he phrased it was lovely, he was just saying that the terror attacks making Americans focus on national security was a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

Meanwhile, things are not peachy on the campus of SUNY/Albany. The university wanted to honour baseball legend Jackie Robinson by having a picnic. But the university's equity office said this must not occur because the word "picnic" referred originally to gatherings held to lynch Blacks. In fact, as one of their own English professors (rather less committed to historical revisionism than RMC's Dr. Robinson) pointed out, the word "picnic" actually comes from a 17th-century French word that denotes a party at which everyone brings food. But Zaheer Mustafa, the equity officer, nevertheless decreed that "picnic" not be used because "the point is — the word offends." So the university decided to call it an "outing." Then, homosexual students took objection to that, and SUNY decided to publicize the event without using any noun to describe it.

:laffo:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
What is the thread title from?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Tiler Kiwi posted:

People thinking "call a spade a spade" is racist is at least not as weird as when people started thinking "picnic" was.

jimmies

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Silver Nitrate posted:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Silver Nitrate posted:

Rubio deciding he doesn't want to be president.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

I refuse to believe that happened as written. That quote belongs in an email prefixed by FW: FW: FW: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!!!.

...Apparently Snopes is quoting from a National Post article? Is that, like, Canada's equivalent to the Daily Mail or something?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

yeah, while how he phrased it was lovely, he was just saying that the terror attacks making Americans focus on national security was a good thing.

I know right. We should totally cut him some slack here. I mean they cut John kerry slack after his little phrasing misstep.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No one should cut him any slack and they should just take that clip on repeat and run ads on it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alien Arcana posted:

I refuse to believe that happened as written. That quote belongs in an email prefixed by FW: FW: FW: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!!!.

...Apparently Snopes is quoting from a National Post article? Is that, like, Canada's equivalent to the Daily Mail or something?

There's a New York Post story. I found the story they're referrign to in the Albany Times Union archive (result 8 of 13):

quote:

DESCRIBING THIS EVENT IS NO WALK IN THE PARK

Author: ANDREW BROWNSTEIN Staff writer
Date: April 18, 2000
Publication: Times Union, The (Albany, NY) Page: A1

To many, the word picnic conjures images of romance, of leisurely days in the park with cheese and a bottle of wine.

But for 40 University at Albany students, it harks back to an ugly chapter in American history -- when picnic, they alleged, meant a racist lynching.

They were wrong, but the allegations led to calls by student leaders to stop using the word.

Ironically, the target of the complaint was the student body's affirmative action director, who unwittingly...

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

When we talk about "The Media" not working properly, are we just talking about television news? There's lots of media out there in print or online. There's even some television that has varying degrees of reasonable coverage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hellblazer187 posted:

When we talk about "The Media" not working properly, are we just talking about television news? There's lots of media out there in print or online. There's even some television that has varying degrees of reasonable coverage.

It means whatever you want it to mean. There was someone complaining that "the media" was going to paint Syrian refugees bad because one guy faked being a refugee when there was a giant banner on CNN.com saying "Terrorist faked being refugee".

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

ErichZahn posted:

I am actually surprised they have 18-59 as a group, like, that's real interesting. I mean, obv they didn't make it for our political arguments, but holy poo poo that's

0-4 (4)
5-11(7)
12-17 (5)
18-59 (41)
60 + (Ah, gently caress it.)

Like, did the 35+ demo get left behind to die or some poo poo? Were nations only taking twenty-somethings, or did they have to bundle them in with the professionals? This is mildly interesting and worthy of comment! Is there any more detailed breakdown of the 18-59 group for the purposes of political arguments or is that information not available to us?

It makes sense to me from a level of care perspective - people from 18-59 don't require schooling or supervision with daily activities - give them some money and they can probably dress and feed themselves. They're also likely to be able-bodied workers. By contrast, under 18 and 60+ need more care and/or supervision, and probably can't easily join the workforce.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Arcana posted:

It's not too unbelievable that it happened like that, but it's also the opposite of a problem. If you look past the rhetoric, all that happened is that an official announcement had to change its wording twice. I work at a university. Everyx public announcement I make goes through at least four revisions, it's really not a big deal.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

botany posted:

It's not too unbelievable that it happened like that, but it's also the opposite of a problem. If you look past the rhetoric, all that happened is that an official announcement had to change its wording twice. I work at a university. Everyx public announcement I make goes through at least four revisions, it's really not a big deal.

It's still stupid that it had to be changed in the first place and doesn't really reflect well on the maturity of the university's students back in 2000

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Tough posted:

It's still stupid that it had to be changed in the first place and doesn't really reflect well on the maturity of the university's students back in 2000

No it's actually a very clear case of Who Gives A poo poo. You're doing somebody a favour in rephrasing something because they didn't like it. That's all it is. Stop being a little whiny poo poo.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Like, I don't think you people realize how many times you have to rephrase poo poo because somebody high up has weird preferences. I've had to rephrase things because the person it was directed at didn't like being questioned, so we had to make it sound like what we proposed to do was his idea from the start. That's normal, albeit annoying. Changing a word because it reminds black students about the time they were literally property isn't even close to that.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

botany posted:

No it's actually a very clear case of Who Gives A poo poo. You're doing somebody a favour in rephrasing something because they didn't like it. That's all it is. Stop being a little whiny poo poo.

lol what? I'm not the guy that thought that "picnic" was a reference to lynching, or the person that said calling something an "outing" was insulting to gay people. Thinking that those people are idiots is the opposite of being "a little whiny poo poo"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Tough posted:

lol what? I'm not the guy that thought that "picnic" was a reference to lynching, or the person that said calling something an "outing" was insulting to gay people. Thinking that those people are idiots is the opposite of being "a little whiny poo poo"

No it seems to me that's exactly what it is actually

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Boy that class of 2000 was just not a good year, man, I tell ya.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SedanChair posted:

Percent of what?

98% from Concentrated Racism.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 23, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ohgodwhat posted:

Boy that class of 2000 was just not a good year, man, I tell ya.

I'm sure things only went up from then on for them.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
english is a language of racist slaveowners and imperialists and MGSV taught me that words kill, please rephrase your posts in esperanto

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

duz posted:

I'm sure things only went up from then on for them.

I was able to get a pretty sweet temp job working with thermite.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Boon posted:

Pathetic little tramp is probably just being :smug:

There is never a time I am not.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mulva posted:

There's nothing wrong with partisan media as long as they tell the truth. No one will deny that Rachel Maddow is a huge liberal, but if what she says is true who cares?

because framing is a thing and it is very easy to mislead while never saying a word that is false.

"Estimates for Bernie Sander's health care proposal put the cost at a whopping $15 trillion" is completely true. But it neglects the fact that the existing system costs $30 trillion. Thus a massive savings of 15 trillion is framed as an expenditure of 15 trillion instead.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 23, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

no, he was just saying that the terror attacks making Americans focus on national security was a good thing because it gives him a political advantage.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

botany posted:

Please use the American spelling of favor as favour offends me due to the baleful legacy of British imperialism in North America.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

english is a language of racist slaveowners and imperialists and MGSV taught me that words kill, please rephrase your posts in esperanto

Esperanto is also insufficiently pure for some people because it's only based on Indo-European characteristics. You need Lojban!

quote:

The North Wind and the Sun were disputing which was the stronger, when a traveler came along wrapped in a warm cloak.
They agreed that the one who first succeeded in making the traveler take his cloak off should be considered stronger than the other.
Then the North Wind blew as hard as he could, but the more he blew the more closely did the traveler fold his cloak around him;
and at last the North Wind gave up the attempt. Then the Sun shined out warmly, and immediately the traveler took off his cloak.
And so the North Wind was obliged to confess that the Sun was the stronger of the two.

quote:

la berti brife jo'u la solri
ni'o la berti brife jo'u la solri pu troci lo ka cuxna lo poi me vo'a vau traji be lo ka vlipa i ca'o bo lo pa litru noi dasni lo glare kosta cu klama
i le re mei pu simxu lo ka tugni fi lo nu lo traji be lo ka clira fa lo nu ce'u snada lo ka gasnu lo nu le litru co'u dasni le kosta cu traji lo ka vlipa
i ba bo la berti brife co'a traji cupra lo brife i ku'i lo nu by by zenba lo ka cupra lo xo kau brife cu rinka lo nu le litru zu'e ri zenba lo ka se tagji le kosta i ba bo la berti brife co'u troci i ba bo la solri co'a glare dirce i ba zi bo le litru co'u dasni le kosta
i se ki'u bo la berti brife cu bilga lo ka tugni fi lo nu la solri cu traji lo ka vlipa

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Esperanto is also insufficiently pure for some people because it's only based on Indo-European characteristics. You need Lojban!

What is this fresh hell I've discovered?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes, but Lobjan still uses Latin script!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mulva posted:

There's nothing wrong with partisan media as long as they tell the truth. No one will deny that Rachel Maddow is a huge liberal, but if what she says is true who cares?
The lovely part is that lifelong Republican Joe Workingman thinks the same exact thing, but replace Rachel Maddow with Sean Hannity

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So... I feel that the bill in Congress prohibiting terror watch list individuals from purchasing firearms should be a slam dunk.

Nope! Apparently the NRA is all about terrorist suspects legally purchasing firearms because due process!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tiler Kiwi posted:

People thinking "call a spade a spade" is racist is at least not as weird as when people started thinking "picnic" was.

To be fair racists love deliberately making poo poo like this complicated with arbitrary code words. The current hotness is calling black people 'Canadians' iirc

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Dr. Tough posted:

Yes, but Lobjan still uses Latin script!

Y'all muthafuckers just learn korean and get this poo poo over with

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/opinion/sunday/who-turned-my-blue-state-red.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=0

A sobering article that points out that as inequality increases so does the self-loathing of the poor.

quote:

Meanwhile, many people who in fact most use and need social benefits are simply not voting at all. Voter participation is low among the poorest Americans, and in many parts of the country that have moved red, the rates have fallen off the charts. West Virginia ranked 50th for turnout in 2012; also in the bottom 10 were other states that have shifted sharply red in recent years, including Kentucky, Arkansas and Tennessee.

The thesis is that the poorer people get, the less likely they are to vote and the more likely they are to believe that their neighbour is the real poor guy and to distrust everyone on social welfare. Anyone who thinks the GOP is done as a party is getting hoodwinked into seeing their presidential disastericity as the whole story when in fact they're stronger than ever at the state and local level because they've been planning for this for years.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Necc0 posted:

To be fair racists love deliberately making poo poo like this complicated with arbitrary code words. The current hotness is calling black people 'Canadians' iirc

Really puts a wierd spin on O' Canada.

quote:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land, glorious and free!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Boon posted:

So... I feel that the bill in Congress prohibiting terror watch list individuals from purchasing firearms should be a slam dunk.

Nope! Apparently the NRA is all about terrorist suspects legally purchasing firearms because due process!

Isn't the terrorist watch list awful garbage though?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Necc0 posted:

Who says this?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr Hootington posted:

Who says this?

It's sort of an urban legend thing that purportedly started in the food service industry. Right?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I knew some people who preferred to use Mondays or Celebrities as their totally not racist euphemism for blacks.

• Locked thread