Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a little known fact that wookies are actually one-legged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Fil5000 posted:

There was a wookie in the thrawn books that had a speech impediment that made him easier for non wookies to understand. That was pretty dumb.

I'm gonna disagree and say it was brilliant because upon hearing that Wookie talk, everyone immediately assumed Chewbacca was the one with the speech impediment. So racist.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Gaunab posted:

Why doesn't Chewbacca wear pants? Is he some kind of pervert that likes flying around space with his wookie dick hanging out? That's hosed up.

He's wearing a g-string. You just can't see it....

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm gonna disagree and say it was brilliant because upon hearing that Wookie talk, everyone immediately assumed Chewbacca was the one with the speech impediment. So racist.

Yeah, I liked the idea that normally Wookiies are physically incapable of speaking Galactic Standard. It's a lot better than any other reason why Chewie speaks in growls.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

KozmoNaut posted:

This would be funny if a Danish politician didn't just use that exact phrasing the other week, to justify bombing civilian targets in Syria :(

That's the joke.

It's basically the standard excuse of anyone wanting to defend bombing people.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So my wife is watching Bones and Bones has a personal problem with a dead woman who reminds her of herself. Lots of personal turmoil and one night she goes to the lab to work. A security guard walks up and they have a conversation like two old friends, first name and everything. He drops some wisdom on her and makes her feel better and goes off on more rounds and also brings her some food later. Now this guy has never shown up before. He will never show up after. His entire existence is to help her with this one specific problem this one specific night. Why doesn't she mention him anymore? How come he never shows up again? They seem friendly so why doesn't he ever hang out with them in episodes? It is established he knows Bones for at least long enough for them to become friendly and familiar with each other but any trace of his existence is absent from their lives save for these two scenes in this particular episode.

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.
That bothered me too. I've been watching it on Netflix, so a week or two later—which may translate to a whole different season; I haven't been keeping track—there was an episode where one of the security guards tries to start a conversation with her while she's working. I figured it was the same guy, and I'm like "hey, that character is back!"

It was not the same security guard.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Orange is the new Black and Schrödinger's toilet stall door. I swear the bathroom stalls gain/lose that one door at the storyline's convenience.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some shows will just give lines to their regular extras, which is nice because then you can actually spot them in the background later on and they don't feel like the Simpsons new neighbors.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Some shows will just give lines to their regular extras, which is nice because then you can actually spot them in the background later on and they don't feel like the Simpsons new neighbors.

Stargate did a pretty great job of that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tunicate posted:

Stargate did a pretty great job of that.

Scrubs, too.

I feel like that's where Mickhead, Beardface, Snoop intern resident attending, Colonel Doctor, etc...all came from.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Scrubs was awesome like that. I miss that show.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Scrubs, too.

I feel like that's where Mickhead, Beardface, Snoop intern resident attending, Colonel Doctor, etc...all came from.

It's Beardfacé, damnit!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
PYF irritating moment - when Scrubs turned into a piece of poo poo :(

But man, when that show was on, it was on.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
It's like there's this trap that comedy show writers tend to fall into; emphasize the parts that people seem to find funny, and it detracts from the setting/charm of the show

In scrubs, people laughed when JD acted childish, so they removed any adult traits he previously exhibited
In BBT, people laughed when Sheldon said a catchphrase, he became a catchphrase spewing machine
In that 70's show, people laughed when one of the cast landed a dig, by the end of the show the most commonly used line was 'Burn!'
The phrase 'jump the shark' is a thing because the writers of happy days were trying to keep the Fonze as the epitome of cool

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ducttape posted:

It's like there's this trap that comedy show writers tend to fall into; emphasize the parts that people seem to find funny, and it detracts from the setting/charm of the show

In scrubs, people laughed when JD acted childish, so they removed any adult traits he previously exhibited
In BBT, people laughed when Sheldon said a catchphrase, he became a catchphrase spewing machine
In that 70's show, people laughed when one of the cast landed a dig, by the end of the show the most commonly used line was 'Burn!'
The phrase 'jump the shark' is a thing because the writers of happy days were trying to keep the Fonze as the epitome of cool

I think of this as Archer syndrome but it's still funny enough to make up for it.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

ducttape posted:

This bugs me because they took Kevin from the Office and Andy from Parks and Rec and changed them from somewhat dimwitted characters into full on retards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think of this as Archer syndrome but it's still funny enough to make up for it.

Except for Pam. Pam is terrible now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
She was way better this past season, along with everything else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

She was way better this past season, along with everything else.

Well, she can't get worse than the Vice season so that was a gimme.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ned Flanders is a pretty good example too. He started as a goodnatured neighbour who even got occasionally cross with Homer but then ended up as some happy maniac who reacts to everything happily.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Not a movie but I've been watching the first season of Flash on Netflix. Arrow was enjoyable but this thing is garbage.

I watched Episode 10 (I think) last night. It's the one with Captain Cold and Fire Gun Guy, whatever his name is. The climax is they're both in a standoff with police trying to draw the Flash out. Flash shows up to stop them.

Keep in mind that these are two normal humans with Cold/Fire Guns with nothing else special about them. Flash is a superhuman that can run faster than the speed of sound. Fast enough to run up the side of a building. Fast enough that there are three people on bikes that he takes the keys out of the ignitions before they know whats going on. Fast enough to take a picture with a phone, run to get in the picture, and then run back before the phone drops from midair. These are all examples present within the same episode.

But somehow not fast enough to run up to these guys, take their loving guns, knock them on their asses and run off.

Instead he has to SLOW DOWN so that they both hit them with their guns, and they wind up 'crossing the streams' when he moves away.

It also hosed me up that they used the same two lead actors from Prison Break as the cold/fire guys.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is that before or after the episode where The Flash gets pepper sprayed?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Ned Flanders is a pretty good example too. He started as a goodnatured neighbour who even got occasionally cross with Homer but then ended up as some happy maniac who reacts to everything happily.

Yeah, there's that early season episode where Homer and Ned get into the proxy fight about minigolf and it all started when Homer went down to Ned's rec room and becomes jealous of Ned's beer on tap.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ducttape posted:

It's not just comedy, it's any show that goes on for too long and has to stick to the same characters and format. Law & Order: SVU is a great example, where the characters just became more and more exaggerated versions of themselves as it went on, but it happens to just about every show that lasts more than a four or five seasons.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Is that before or after the episode where The Flash gets pepper sprayed?

I don't remember seeing that so I either just missed it completely or haven't made it to that episode yet. I don't think I'm going to be watching any more of it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm the exact opposite. I couldn't get into Arrow at all but I love Flash. You're complaints are absolutely valid but I'm able to look past that because they've consistently done it to create a cool scene (see also the light girl fight in this season) and the show is otherwise just goofy and charming enough to be tona of fun. It balances out the grim tone of other (also excellent) superhero shows like daredevil, jessica jones, gotham, etc.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tiggum posted:

It's not just comedy, it's any show that goes on for too long and has to stick to the same characters and format. Law & Order: SVU is a great example, where the characters just became more and more exaggerated versions of themselves as it went on, but it happens to just about every show that lasts more than a four or five seasons.

On the other hand, Danny De Vito's arc on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is amazing to behold.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

I'm the exact opposite. I couldn't get into Arrow at all but I love Flash. You're complaints are absolutely valid but I'm able to look past that because they've consistently done it to create a cool scene (see also the light girl fight in this season) and the show is otherwise just goofy and charming enough to be tona of fun. It balances out the grim tone of other (also excellent) superhero shows like daredevil, jessica jones, gotham, etc.

I guess it's just the juxtaposition of all the other stuff shown in that single episode vs. what the solution for beating the bad guys is. Why not just show him get hit by the cold ray thing and have him get a cold? "Oh no I'm sick and I cant run fast guess I'll have to figure another way out of this!"

But then I guess you'd have to have every episode come up with a reason why he couldn't use the full extent of his powers.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EmmyOk posted:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not a movie but I've been watching the first season of Flash on Netflix. Arrow was enjoyable but this thing is garbage.

I watched Episode 10 (I think) last night. It's the one with Captain Cold and Fire Gun Guy, whatever his name is. The climax is they're both in a standoff with police trying to draw the Flash out. Flash shows up to stop them.

Keep in mind that these are two normal humans with Cold/Fire Guns with nothing else special about them. Flash is a superhuman that can run faster than the speed of sound. Fast enough to run up the side of a building. Fast enough that there are three people on bikes that he takes the keys out of the ignitions before they know whats going on. Fast enough to take a picture with a phone, run to get in the picture, and then run back before the phone drops from midair. These are all examples present within the same episode.

But somehow not fast enough to run up to these guys, take their loving guns, knock them on their asses and run off.

Instead he has to SLOW DOWN so that they both hit them with their guns, and they wind up 'crossing the streams' when he moves away.

It also hosed me up that they used the same two lead actors from Prison Break as the cold/fire guys.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, about the Flash's powers that makes sense. If he actually had the intellect of a normal human being and his powers all worked the way that his own writers say they do then there's nothing on Earth that could possibly challenge him in any way.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That's usually the case with this kind of fiction, isn't it?

I mean, I'm almost done with Jessica jones and one of my first irritating movie moments was why they don't just cut out kilgraves tongue and vocal cords. Hard to give verbal commands if you can't speak.

Maybe that'll be explained in the last two episodes but I doubt it.

There's nearly always a not stupid way to go about things instead of the two extremes presented, but that wouldn't make for much of a story.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's explained well before that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Taeke posted:

That's usually the case with this kind of fiction, isn't it?

I mean, I'm almost done with Jessica jones and one of my first irritating movie moments was why they don't just cut out kilgraves tongue and vocal cords. Hard to give verbal commands if you can't speak.

Maybe that'll be explained in the last two episodes but I doubt it.

There's nearly always a not stupid way to go about things instead of the two extremes presented, but that wouldn't make for much of a story.

Yeah, but Flash is especially egregious because his power set is so hilariously overpowered and the ways he's overcome are so far under that. Like if Superman punches mans hard and he meets a mans who is so hard he is stronger than Superman's punchmans power you go okay that makes sense. But Flash has literally been taken out by a dude holding a sword behind his back because he knew that Flash would run behind him and try to punch him. That doesn't make sense at all unless you assume that the man runs so fast he can't actually see where he's going in which case there are probably one hell of a lot of people and buildings with Flash-shaped holes in them in the DC universe and a sword is the least of his problems.

AnonSpore has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Nov 24, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The flash is either completely immune to all forms of harm or he is constantly exploding people and buildings without even realizing it. Either his reaction time is fast enough to avoid pedestrians while running at near-light speeds or it isn't. If it is, nothing should ever be able to harm him. If it isn't, he is the most destructive force imaginable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Finally catching up on Fringe and I like how they handle the bad dudes seeing time as dilated:
The Observers can see time slow enough to easily catch bullets. So what does the Resistance do? Make guns that shoot faster. It's so stupid and hand-wavy but I've come to accept it. An Observer's ability to slow time is a set quantity and I guess that means that a .45 ACP round goes just slow enough to catch. They can't escape explosions and presumably wouldn't be able to deflect a high-powered rifle. So the Resistance makes Berettas that shoot 308 like it's 9mm.

I'm about half way through the last season so there may be something coming up.
All dumb poo poo aside, John Noble is a treat :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched 3 episodes of Fringe before I got too annoyed by the "Oh I worked on a similar project in the 80s..." set-up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

I watched 3 episodes of Fringe before I got too annoyed by the "Oh I worked on a similar project in the 80s..." set-up.

That ends up being because the bad guys are using his actual projects from the 80s.

But yeah it's kind of annoying early on.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Right but my point is more that he worked on all these massive longterm projects all in the same 10 year span or w/e. It's the sheer quantity of them rather than that they all happen to connect to them. I think I wasn't expecting a formulaic serial I thought it was a bit more highbrow. I don't mean in a pretentious way I just mean I thought it was a different type of show, I like loads of serials!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Fitting for this thread, I loved Fringe but the last season was out of left field and clearly the result of a 'oh poo poo we're out of money and probably won't get another season we need to wrap it all up pronto!' discussion that the writers had. Like, it'd be good in another context, but the entirety of the show is crazy science poo poo based in the real world, and then suddenly super future aliens (but not really) everywhere and dystopia time and it's like...what.

Give me wacky adventures and an overarcing plot, not...that.

Also something similar happened with that one villain who was also super smart, but he pretty much got forgotten once the universes got merged without much of a resolution, only to show up quickly in a "haha you were a pawn all along' plan by another guy.

Edit: If you think about the Flash for more than a second, it all breaks down. When he fights The Arrow he actually shows some degree of competence, otherwise he somehow keeps getting hit and it makes no goddamn sense.