Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Update: Weird one.

I rotated the tires because there's a wub-wub-wub sound from the front. Previous owner was told it was tires and he offered to put new ones on for me. Front tires were worn on the inside and cupped a bit. Cross rotated tires and no change in sound. Sound does not change under braking. No vibrations under braking. Previous owner said that noise started after they had the brake pads done.

I got underneath and the front differential was a bit wet... and took almost a half-quart to fill... so that was way low, but no change at all in the noise.

With that, what can I be looking at? The noise doesn't change much when turning, it does if you really load it, but not much in general, so I'm not really inclined to think hubs... could it be brakes if there's no change when the brakes are applied? Rotors are stock and well-worn, but... I don't know.

I'm going to jack it up and see if I can replicate it spinning the wheels in the garage.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Right front sounds like a coffee mill when you spin the wheel. Time to pull things apart and see what's fucky.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

meatpimp posted:

Any idea on how firm they are? The stock shocks are Bilstein, too... And they are like marshmallows. I used the Monroe Sensatracks on my '03 Seville and they took the car from stock mushy to reasonable. I'd like to do the same with this.

No I don't really know how they ride. But actually it turns out 4600 is what they call the HD series for trucks and the valving is fairly similar to the 5100, so I would assume a little more firm than oem, especially after however many years.

Parts numbers are
24-103336
24-103350

I can order them but it looks like they are pretty much my cost on amazon.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

meatpimp posted:

Update: Weird one.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Right front sounds like a coffee mill when you spin the wheel. Time to pull things apart and see what's fucky.

Wheel bearing?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

metallicaeg posted:

Wheel bearing?

Probably. And it should be a simple 3-4 bolt affair to swap the hub and bearing on most GM stuff anymore. I love that it's a bolt on part and not something that needs pressed into the spindle.

Edit: Just checked rockauto. About $40 and includes the wheel speed sensor. I just paid $30 for the sensor itself for my truck (01 Silverado) and I think it's the same drat part. poo poo is cheap.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 19, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Oh yeah, I forgot, these trucks love wheel bearings. Did both of them in my moms trailblazer.

Don't cheap out, timken or nothing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot, these trucks love wheel bearings. Did both of them in my moms trailblazer.

Don't cheap out, timken or nothing.

I cheaped out. $45 hub from amazon to troubleshoot. As easy and cheap as they are, I'll do it again with good parts later if the car proves to be solid and the hub is the fix.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Could be worse. But they are easy to do, if I recall correctly, the passenger side you don't even need to undo suspension parts

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is that a 4WD only problem? I'm pretty drat sure my mom's EXT is still on the factory wheel bearings.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is that a 4WD only problem? I'm pretty drat sure my mom's EXT is still on the factory wheel bearings.

I don't know, the driver's side is fine.

Filling the front diff did change the way the 4wd works, though. It was flashing 2wd on startup, now it's a nice, solid 2wd light all the time, and engagement in 4hi and 4lo are faster. 4lo goes in with almost no noise, which seems to be uncommon, usually people report a "thunk," but this goes right in. Definitely engages 4wd, too, since top speed seems to be about 40mph in 4th (I only did it for a second, I'm not going to drive it like that, obv).

Also, in researching this, it looks like the "AWD" setting is a kludge that likes to trash transfer cases with sudden engagement. The good thing is that this thing was in Florida until 2010, so it probably hasn't seen a lot of transfer case action. The other nice thing is that the undercarriage looks pristine. I could wax the frame rails if I wanted...

So, tomorrow I have tires (probably going to sit for a while, since they weren't the main problem), various fluids, serp. belt, hub, and a POR15 starter kit.

I've never used POR15, but there is one area on the left rear fender where it rubbed up against something right at the edge of the wheelwell, breaking the paint. I want to get it sealed/prepped so I never have to deal with rust down the road.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Also, in researching this, it looks like the "AWD" setting is a kludge that likes to trash transfer cases with sudden engagement.

That's what I was yammering on about in earlier posts. Its a horrible loving idea, makes people think oh yeah bitches ALL WHEEL DRIVE but its on its way to trashdom.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Must be, my ex's trailblazer ate the passengers side bearing at 67k

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

gently caress whatever bean counter decided to save 38 cents and use a deep transmission pan without a drain plug. There's a loving recess right in the pan for the plug, but nope, gently caress you, customer, enjoy your transmission fluid shower, because the pan won't just drop because it interferes with another bracket underneath, and you can't let it hang or it'll bend the lip of the pan.

Eh, it's been a while since I've had transmission fluid in my eyes, anyway.

Right now the truck has no front diff oil, transmission oil, transfer case fluid or rear diff oil. Big fill up tomorrow.

Right front hub is replaced. I'm a dumbass and put the brake dust shield on backwards and didn't catch it until I went to put the caliper back on, so I got to reinstall the entire hub. :eng99: Old hub was definitely bad, hopefully that takes care of the noise.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
On those a semi bad bearing can make whoop whoop noises. I've had other gms with that style bearing make that noise. And it's usually the big trucks. Truthfully when a chevy product comes in with a bad wheel bearing its poo poo the actual bearings out and has camberuu

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Another pic-less update, since I'm busy working instead of pic taking.

Hub took care of the noise. With new drivetrain fluids, it's feeling very good. There's a bit of minor noise/vibration, but the tires on it are shot and partially cupped, so I'm surprised it's riding as good as it is.

Now attention turns to the motor. Cleaned throttle body, it wasn't that bad, but I was right there for the plugs, anyway. Pulled the plug second from the front and it is obviously original, and has 95k miles on it, so very worn. Pulled the one closest to the firewall and it looked the same, except for oil above the threads. I was worried that it may be a valve cover leak (which is a bitch to change in the 4.2), but I pulled out the fiber optic inspection camera and checked all the spark plug wells and there was a few drops of oil in most of them, but certainly nothing to worry about with this mileage. Good to know.

Unfortunately, the plugs don't get here until tomorrow (Amazon Sunday delivery has already spoiled me, I just ordered them yesterday).

Edit: In summary, from what I've seen so far -- I used to hate GM because their products were stupid and simplistic. As I get older, I am really liking this truck, because it's stupid and simplistic.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 21, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
They really are nice trucks. But like all gms they hit 100k and the electronics go caty wompass. I work on them alot at work and they are easy to wrench on and reliable vehicles. My major qualm with gm is the interior. I mean my 93 camry has a less noisey interior then most 2000 and up gms

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep my '96 Camry's interior is worlds better than our '06 HHR.....Well it's just a better car overall frankly.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

Yep my '96 Camry's interior is worlds better than our '06 HHR.....Well it's just a better car overall frankly.

Wooh best gen camry buddy. Also the HHR is garbage in general. But in thread related news this thing needs some SS wheels

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
To bad they don't use standard GM 6 bolt truck wheels, that would vastly increase rim choices

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SouthsideSaint posted:

Wooh best gen camry buddy. Also the HHR is garbage in general. But in thread related news this thing needs some SS wheels

Our HHR has been a very reliable, solid car. I blew out the rear shocks loading it with tons of poo poo so now it drives like a horse buggy, and it eats end links, but it's not horrible really. It's just that a '96 Camry is better :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 22, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

To bad they don't use standard GM 6 bolt truck wheels, that would vastly increase rim choices

No poo poo. Yukon/Silverado/etc takeoffs are stupid easy to find here, but nope, I'm stuck with Envoy/Trailblazer/things. I already have new tires here, so I'm looking at 17" options only (sorry, no SS wheels on this thing, even though it's in superb shape, it's still third wheel/beater category).

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

Our HHR has been a very reliable, solid car. I blew out the rear shocks loading it with tons of poo poo so now it drives like a horse buggy, and it eats end links, but it's not horrible really. It's just that a '96 Camry is better :v:

I bag on the HHR and many gm products but there all OK cars. My problem with the HHR is it often can't get out of its own way. And they have poo poo struts even when not overloaded. But I drive a Toyota so I'm use to having struts poo poo out often. But luckily the trailblazer is super comfy and roomy which makes it a great cruise car

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Trailblazer seems like an alright cheap family cruiser, but I'd rather have a Panther if I was gonna go with a body on frame RWD cruiser.

I'm biased though because I've owned two :3:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

The Trailblazer seems like an alright cheap family cruiser, but I'd rather have a Panther if I was gonna go with a body on frame RWD cruiser.

I'm biased though because I've owned two :3:

For a cruiser, yeah, I'd rather have a Panther.

1996+ Panthers aren't rated to tow much though. Being rated for 5000lbs is one of the big reasons we got a used Trailblazer as a third car a couple years ago. Made it a lot easier decision when we got a boat the next year.

Of course, I kinda wanted a Tahoe/Yukon, but those tend to cost a bit more for comparable age/mileage, and the wife didn't want something that "big".

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seven passenger seating was required, so sedans were out. My wife thinks t5hat even the Envoy is too big, so she would have hated a Yukon!

So far, so good. Got the plugs and got them installed. gently caress the guy who decided to permanently mount a wire channel so that you cannot get the #1 plug coil back without getting out of alignment. Then again, nothing is permanent and a quick snap of the channel mount freed it up and the coil went right on.

Idles dead smooth, runs good, brakes good, no noises from the hubs... looks like it's a Thanksgiving travel car.

Up next: Get suspension order ready. Find out what Chinesesum head unit fits and works well. Keep cleaning.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

For a cruiser, yeah, I'd rather have a Panther.

1996+ Panthers aren't rated to tow much though.

Thanks to the stupid watts link suspension :colbert:

I wonder if the tradeoff is worth it, without the watts Panthers would probably be decent for towing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't understand why a watt's linkage would affect tow capacity? Unless the prior design had no panhard rod etc, just very beefy primary links?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

I don't understand why a watt's linkage would affect tow capacity? Unless the prior design had no panhard rod etc, just very beefy primary links?

I don't understand it either, as the Ford Falcon sedan between 1982 and 2002 had a live rear end with a Watt's Linkage and could tow up to 2300kg (5070.632pounds) with brakes on the trailer and it didn't have a ladder chassis like the CV

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I suppose the stock links are weak and can't handle it, but you can get much stronger aftermarket links from ADTR and probably be able to double the stock towing capacity.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You Am I posted:

I don't understand it either, as the Ford Falcon sedan between 1982 and 2002 had a live rear end with a Watt's Linkage and could tow up to 2300kg (5070.632pounds) with brakes on the trailer and it didn't have a ladder chassis like the CV

I don't think tow ratings here usually count braked trailers. I don't know if that would be a big deal at all with trailer brakes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

I suppose the stock links are weak and can't handle it, but you can get much stronger aftermarket links from ADTR and probably be able to double the stock towing capacity.

Didn't bozo truck dude whose name I can't remember for the life of me right now tow an STI on a car trailer from GA to AZ behind a CVPI?

American tow ratings are always low. Because we do dumb poo poo with trailers, and lawyers are expensive.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:siren: PAGING HOLDBROOKS :siren:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

in 1998 the Panther went to a watts link rear end and the rating went from 5000 to 2000. The stock control arms look weak as hell too, I honestly wouldn't want to push the limits on one unless I upgraded the watts links and control arms with stronger aftermarket stuff.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Before I got the new truck I towed with mine. Never had a problem but just be mindful that you only have brakes made for one car and allow for more buffer room.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Get ready to enjoy oil changes where, despite the engine and the truck literally being designed for each other, the filter still doesn't have unobstructed drain access.

Jesus. With most other fluids done, I hit the oil today. The placement of the filter is certainly annoying. More so is the way the Valvoline guy turned it 3/4 of a turn past snug. And I don't have any oil filter wrenches. And that thing was so far past what I could do with my hands in that position... man, it was ugly. Pry bar through one of the chassis slots gave me enough leverage on it to get it moving, but that was the hardest job I've had on the car yet.

It made the front hub look like a breeze. Oh well, new fluid and filter are ready to go.

Tomorrow I have a PDR guy coming for a big dent in the liftgate. I've played with some PDR, and this has a couple door dings I'll practice on later, but this is a larger dent that needs someone skilled.

Also have a line on some stock chrome 17" wheels to replace the corroded machined aluminum stock ones that are on there now.

Progress without pictures is annoying, I know, but at least it's progress.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Holdbrooks posted:

Before I got the new truck I towed with mine. Never had a problem but just be mindful that you only have brakes made for one car and allow for more buffer room.

Did you remove the driveshaft on the subaru or something? I know you know what you're doing, just seeing an AWD car like that is always a double take.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 24, 2015

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Sudo Echo posted:

Did you remove the driveshaft on the subaru or something? I know you know what you're doing, just seeing an AWD car like that is always a double take.

The auto subarus have a fuse you can pull that turns it into fwd only, unlocks the center diff and the rear lsd I believe. Maybe pulling that makes it ok for towing?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

Jesus. With most other fluids done, I hit the oil today. The placement of the filter is certainly annoying. More so is the way the Valvoline guy turned it 3/4 of a turn past snug. And I don't have any oil filter wrenches. And that thing was so far past what I could do with my hands in that position... man, it was ugly. Pry bar through one of the chassis slots gave me enough leverage on it to get it moving, but that was the hardest job I've had on the car yet.

First time I changed the oil on my Trailblazer, I ended up having to pull the front passenger wheel, and stab the filter with a screwdriver to get it loose.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The auto subarus have a fuse you can pull that turns it into fwd only, unlocks the center diff and the rear lsd I believe. Maybe pulling that makes it ok for towing?

I didn't know this. When my mom pulled her Forester 30+ hours from Alabama to Montana, she originally rented a front wheel dolly. I made her take it back and get a flatbed for the tow.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

FWD fuse only works when the car is on, and not all autos have one. Assuming holdbrooks unbolted the driveshaft.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Pretty sure it's a fuse you put in, since the center diff fully disengaged when you apply full power to it, so the FWD fuse just passes through 12v to the diff to keep it unlocked, bypassing the TCM.

Technically it's still awd, just with a completely open center diff so you won't destroy things when towing with two wheels on the ground. I think the manual gives a recommended max speed, but theoretically it should be ok for long distances and high speeds.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

even an open diff doesn't like a 70mph speed difference side to side, though. (yeah minus the axle diff gearing i know, still a big difference for the spiders to cope with.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

No actually center diff on most auto subarus, just a rear take off clutch pack. But same difference, you would have poo poo in there turning super fast relative to the trans side and would cook the fluid.

Bajaha posted:

Pretty sure it's a fuse you put in, since the center diff fully disengaged when you apply full power to it, so the FWD fuse just passes through 12v to the diff to keep it unlocked, bypassing the TCM.

Technically it's still awd, just with a completely open center diff so you won't destroy things when towing with two wheels on the ground. I think the manual gives a recommended max speed, but theoretically it should be ok for long distances and high speeds.

Right. So when the fuse is in, but the car is off, is 12v still going through it? I don't know, but would guess not.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 26, 2015

• Locked thread