Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

:synpa:
maybe, just maybe, this my most favorite of polling scenarios will come back from the dead

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_bush_vs_clinton_vs_trump-5551.html

(clinton 43 bush 27 trump 23 based on july-august polling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Had to look up Gary Bauer and now I regret it.

:gonk:

Please enjoy this video of Gary Bauer flipping pancakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWUaN2HagRo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

considering the very narrow band of tolerance the Donald has for what constitutes "fairly", im v excited for his pique-fueled third party run

yeah im pretty sure "fairly" means getting the nomination. Anything else would be inherently unfair to Trump.

oystertoadfish posted:

:synpa:
maybe, just maybe, this my most favorite of polling scenarios will come back from the dead

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_bush_vs_clinton_vs_trump-5551.html

(clinton 43 bush 27 trump 23 based on july-august polling)

there was actually a few later polls where Trump beat Jeb in a three way run.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The AP had climate scientists grade the accuracy of candidates on global warming.

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- When it comes to climate science, two of the three Democratic presidential candidates are A students, while most of the Republican contenders are flunking, according to a panel of scientists who reviewed candidates' comments.

At the request of The Associated Press, eight climate and biological scientists graded for scientific accuracy what a dozen top candidates said in debates, interviews and tweets, using a 0 to 100 scale.

To try to eliminate possible bias, the candidates' comments were stripped of names and given randomly generated numbers, so the professors would not know who made each statement they were grading. Also, the scientists who did the grading were chosen by professional scientific societies.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton had the highest average score at 94. Three scientists did not assign former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley a score, saying his statements mostly were about policy, which they could not grade, instead of checkable science.

Two used similar reasoning to skip grading New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and one did the same for businesswoman Carly Fiorina. Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas had the lowest score, an average of 6. All eight put Cruz at the bottom of the class.

"This individual understands less about science (and climate change) than the average kindergartner," Michael Mann, a Pennsylvania State University meteorology professor, wrote of Cruz's statements. "That sort of ignorance would be dangerous in a doorman, let alone a president."

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, with an 87, had the lowest score among the Democrats, dinged for an exaggeration when he said global warming could make Earth uninhabitable. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush scored the highest among Republicans, 64, but one grader gave him a perfect 100. Bush was the only Republican candidate who got a passing grade on climate in the exercise.

Below Clinton's 94 were O'Malley with 91; Sanders, 87; Bush, 64; Christie, 54; Ohio Gov. John Kasich, 47; Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, 38; Fiorina, 28; Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, 21; businessman Donald Trump, 15; retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, 13; and Cruz with 6.

For the Republicans, climate change came up more in interviews than in their four debates. But Rubio did confront the issue in the Sept. 16 debate in a way that earned him bad grades from some scientists.

"We are not going to make America a harder place to create jobs in order to pursue policies that will do absolutely nothing, nothing, to change our climate, to change our weather, because America is a lot of things, the greatest country in the world, absolutely," Rubio said. "But America is not a planet. And we are not even the largest carbon producer anymore. China is. And they're drilling a hole and digging anywhere in the world that they can get ahold of."

Scientists dispute Rubio's argument that because China is now the top emitter, the U.S. can do little to change the future climate. The U.S. spews about 17 percent of the world's carbon dioxide emissions, "so big cuts here would still make a big difference globally," said geochemist Louisa Bradtmiller at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. Rubio's inference that China is not doing much about global warming "is out of date. The Chinese are implementing a cap-and-trade system in their country to reduce emissions," said Andrew Dessler, a climate scientist at Texas A&M University.

At an August event In California's Orange County, Cruz told an interviewer, "If you look at satellite data for the last 18 years, there's been zero warming. ... The satellite says it ain't happening."

Florida State University's James Elsner said ground data show every decade has been warmer than the last since the middle of the 20th century and satellite data-based observations "show continued warming over the past several decades."

In fact, federal ground-based data, which scientists said is more reliable than satellites, show that 15 of the 17 years after 1997 have been warmer than 1997 and 2015 is on track to top 2014 as the warmest year on record.

Scientists singled out Sanders for overstatement in the first Democratic presidential debate.

"The scientific community is telling us that if we do not address the global crisis of climate change, transform our energy system away from fossil fuel to sustainable energy, the planet that we're going to be leaving our kids and our grandchildren may well not be habitable," Sanders said.

Dessler said, "I would not say that the planet will become uninhabitable. Regardless of what we do, some humans will survive." Harvard's Jim McCarthy also called the comment an overstatement, as did other scientists when Sanders said it. Recent research on the worst heat projections in the hottest area, the Persian Gulf, finds that toward the end of the century there will be a few days each decade or so when humans cannot survive outside, but can live with air conditioning indoors.

Trump brought out some of the more colorful and terse critiques.

"It could be warming and it's going to start to cool at some point," Trump said in a September radio interview. "And you know in the 1920s people talked about global cooling. I don't know if you know that or not. They thought the Earth was cooling. Now it's global warming. Actually, we've had times where the weather wasn't working out so they changed it to extreme weather and they have all different names, you know, so that it fits the bill."

McCarthy, a former president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, called Trump's comments "nonsense," while Emmanuel Vincent, a climate scientist at the University of California, Merced, said, "the candidate does not appear to have any commitment to accuracy."

The eight scientists are Mann, Dessler, Elsner, McCarthy, Bradtmiller, Vincent, William Easterling at Pennsylvania State University and Matthew Huber at the University of New Hampshire.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CLIMATE_COUNTDOWN_2016_FACT_CHECK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-11-22-10-52-15

:lol: at Cruz understanding climatology worse than a kindergartener.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 22, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I really like the climate change issue because it's the only thing I can think of that lets me be objectively more right than my political opponents, instead of just subjectively.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Jewel Repetition posted:

I really like the climate change issue because it's the only thing I can think of that lets me be objectively more right than my political opponents, instead of just subjectively.

To be fair, by virtue of not being a Republican you're already more right than any of the Republican candidates on any single issue, so there's always that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trumps retweet is front page on gawker.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Noice.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

what are these percentages of? and why is this not in a pie chart?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

point of return posted:

what are these percentages of? and why is this not in a pie chart?

If I'm reading this right, it's trying to say that of black people killed, 2% of them were killed by white people, 1% by police, 97% by other black people. And similarly for the white people killed: 3% by police, 16% by other white people, 81% by black people.

Doesn't stop it from being made-up racist bullshit, but the numbers DO at least add up to 100%. Still terrible data presentation though.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Waterboard me, Trump.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
"there will be a few days each decade or so when humans cannot survive outside"
:eyepop:

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

In other news I am so excited for the Jeb Bush campaign!!!

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Skellybones posted:

Completely different from rendering the planet uninhabitable. I can't believe Bernie used such exaggerated rhetoric

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skellybones posted:

In the Persian Gulf, anyway. I wonder why that place gets so drat hot in particular. Mountains in awkward places?

Maybe they're hoping Climate Change will finally bring down the ayatollah.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Skellybones posted:

Good news though, it'll just cancel out areas near the poles that have become habitable!

FYI: they're referring to wet bulb temperatures above 100 degrees. Think 115F with near 100% humidity. Right now the Persian gulf coast can get close to this.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 23, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

can't wait until biden starts saying 'he's gonna put y'all back in chains'

memy posted:

Completely different from rendering the planet uninhabitable. I can't believe Bernie used such exaggerated rhetoric

it is completely different

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's nothing stopping him, and if they play convention games at the GOP in order to keep him from being their nominee, you better believe he'll pull a Ross Perot.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's nothing stopping him, and if they play convention games at the GOP in order to keep him from being their nominee, you better believe he'll pull a Ross Perot.

How funny would it be if Trump got more popular votes running third party than the GOP candidate did in the general.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Immortan posted:

How funny would it be if Trump got more votes running third party than the GOP candidate in the general.

just as funny as 1912 and just as good for the democratic candidate. just look at him laugh

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

oystertoadfish posted:

just as funny as 1912 and just as good for the democratic candidate. just look at him laugh

Yet somehow I don't think Hillary Clinton will fire most of the black people and put the few she can't fire in literal cages at work.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I think today I'm ready to admit that Trump may no longer be the least objectionable republican candidate.

Kasich 2016, sign me up!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Trump Cross is obviously gold, not black :colbert:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Skellybones posted:

http://www.wunderground.com/news/persian-gulf-heat-study

You should be reading Jeff Master's blog if you care anything about weather and climate change. They are describing a Nature magazine article where they project heat index values of 170 degrees occurring regionally lasting for 6 hours happening every decade or so.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

http://www.wunderground.com/news/persian-gulf-heat-study

You should be reading Jeff Master's blog if you care anything about weather and climate change. They are describing a Nature magazine article where they project heat index values of 170 degrees occurring regionally lasting for 6 hours happening every decade or so.

So global warming is our anti-ISIS strategy now

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Yet somehow I don't think Hillary Clinton will fire most of the black people and put the few she can't fire in literal cages at work.

he laughs at your concerns. oh just look at him laugh

he was awful on civil liberties for whites too. massively overrated

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Lord of Pie posted:

So global warming is our anti-ISIS strategy now

When ISIS takes over Kuwait, then yeah. In a way it kind of serves them right, seeing how oil made those countries so rich and how opposed they are to limiting emissions

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Where is Boosted? Wouldn't mind hearing his hot takes on this rise of American nazism.

What a time for smoothrich to be banned too.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

When ISIS takes over Kuwait, then yeah. In a way it kind of serves them right, seeing how oil made those countries so rich and how opposed they are to limiting emissions

of course they'll just crank up the a/c while the migrant workers die

the nature article is behind a paywall but a more general pnas article it cites is free

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/21/9552.full

quote:

Recent studies have highlighted the possibility of large global warmings in the absence of strong mitigation measures, for example the possibility of over 7 °C of warming this century alone (1). Warming will not stop in 2100 if emissions continue. Each doubling of carbon dioxide is expected to produce 1.9–4.5 °C of warming at equilibrium, but this is poorly constrained on the high side (2, 3) and according to one new estimate has a 5% chance of exceeding 7.1 °C per doubling (4). Because combustion of all available fossil fuels could produce 2.75 doublings of CO2 by 2300 (5), even a 4.5 °C sensitivity could eventually produce 12 °C of warming. Degassing of various natural stores of methane and/or CO2 in a warmer climate (6, 7, 8) could increase warming further. Thus while central estimates of business-as-usual warming by 2100 are 3–4 °C, eventual warmings of 10 °C are quite feasible and even 20 °C is theoretically possible (9).

We conclude that a global-mean warming of roughly 7 °C would create small zones where metabolic heat dissipation would for the first time become impossible, calling into question their suitability for human habitation. A warming of 11–12 °C would expand these zones to encompass most of today’s human population. This likely overestimates what could practically be tolerated: Our limit applies to a person out of the sun, in gale-force winds, doused with water, wearing no clothing, and not working. A global-mean warming of only 3–4 °C would in some locations halve the margin of safety (difference between TW max and 35 °C) that now leaves room for additional burdens or limitations to cooling.

If warmings of 10 °C were really to occur in next three centuries, the area of land likely rendered uninhabitable by heat stress would dwarf that affected by rising sea level. Heat stress thus deserves more attention as a climate-change impact.

The onset of TW max > 35 °C represents a well-defined reference point where devastating impacts on society seem assured even with adaptation efforts. This reference point constrasts with assumptions now used in integrated assessment models. Warmings of 10 °C and above already occur in these models for some realizations of the future (33). The damages caused by 10 °C of warming are typically reckoned at 10–30% of world GDP (33, 34), roughly equivalent to a recession to economic conditions of roughly two decades earlier in time. While undesirable, this is hardly on par with a likely near-halving of habitable land, indicating that current assessments are underestimating the seriousness of climate change.

bernie's exaggeration is way better than cruz' exaggerations, and the scientists agreed based on the scores they assigned the two candidates

here's a discussion of the paper
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/21/9483.full

quote:

Public concern over climate-change impacts has mostly focused on the economic, physical, and political domains. The consequences for various industries, agriculture, livelihoods, national gross domestic product, property, infrastructure, and electoral prospects have captured most attention. In this issue of PNAS, Sherwood and Huber (1) apply a longer than usual perspective on climate change and conclude that, because of limits to human tolerance of heat, much of Earth’s surface may not be habitable by 2300. Their important, related, and overarching statement is that “current assessments are underestimating the seriousness of climate change” (1). They argue that, whereas high-profile threats such as sea-level rise and economic slowdown have caused widespread anxieties, their impacts on human communities would pale into insignificance in a world that might, thermally, become partly or wholly uninhabitable by humans.

The authors may seem—at least on current thinking—to have stretched the limits of plausibility (1). To date, we have not had to think seriously about a foreseeable future world that is 10–12 °C warmer than today. However, as they point out, such temperature increases are not off the predictive scale if current trajectories continue and if full consequent global heating is realized over the next three centuries. Furthermore, given inherent scientific uncertainties about the future behavior of the climate system under changing conditions, recent modeling is as likely to have underestimated future changes as to have overestimated them. Indeed, much recent trend data indicate just that type of disparity between previous forecasts and actual geophysical outcomes (3, 4).

Most of the prevailing discussion and modeling of climate change extends only to 2100 or even earlier, whereas this paper looks out further to 2300. This extension is important and necessary. First, as Sherwood and Huber (1) point out, climate change will not stop in 2100 if emissions continue. Therefore, because the trajectory beyond 2100 will depend largely on what is done or not done in this century, the longer vision should guide us now. Second, the further into the future our outlook, the more serious it gets—potentially, catastrophic. Climates that differ drastically from the present are well within the long experience of Earth but well outside human experience. However, such climatic conditions are not impossible in the relatively near future.

so the first link is the real paper and the second is a somewhat more readable discussion

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 23, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr Hootington posted:

Where is Boosted? Wouldn't mind hearing his hot takes on this rise of American nazism.

What a time for smoothrich to be banned too.

Smoothrich agrees that "six million [Jews] is a little bit high."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

memy posted:

quote:

Dessler said, "I would not say that the planet will become uninhabitable. Regardless of what we do, some humans will survive."

nope unless every last human being is wiped out bernie sanders is a big fat liar

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

quote:

"The scientific community is telling us: if we do not address the global crisis of climate change, transform our energy system away from fossil fuels to sustainable energy, the planet that we’re going to be leaving our kids and our grandchildren may well not be inhabitable," Sanders said. "That is a major crisis."

the article above projects regional uninhabitability at the upper end of projections by 2100 and offers the possibility of most of the inhabitable surface becoming uninhabitable by 2300. assuming a reasonable lifespan for our children and grandchildren sanders seems to have exaggerated. i'm sure plural scientists have said more extreme statements though

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

oystertoadfish posted:

the article above projects regional uninhabitability at the upper end of projections by 2100 and offers the possibility of most of the inhabitable surface becoming uninhabitable by 2300. assuming a reasonable lifespan for our children and grandchildren sanders seems to have exaggerated. i'm sure plural scientists have said more extreme statements though

Pretty sure the planet that we're leaving our kids may one day become uninhabitable? That very same planet.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

The Real Paddy posted:

Pretty sure the planet that we're leaving our kids may one day become uninhabitable? That very same planet.

so the scientific umma says half the planet might be uninhabitable in 300 years. there's some sort of a baseline

sanders says our grandkids may find the planet to be uninhabitable, using language that could extend his timeline indefinitely. graded 87/100 on truthiness

cruz says 'there's been zero warming'. graded 6/100

it's true that sanders literally can't be incorrect. maybe the scientists took that into account when they assigned their meaningless score. but the characterization seems pretty fair to me

edit: ima walk my original glib little bullshit statement back. what sanders said and what scientists say aren't 'completely different'. nobody's giving concrete statements, aside from that according to one measure sanders is 14.5 times more awesome than cruz. i assume clinton gets a higher score because she avoided saying anything interesting on the subject

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 23, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Depicting trump as hitler is a good way to try to get the democratic base to rally behind hillary more so. It only serves the purpose of trying to convince bern outs to vote for hill dog. It doesn't really make people less likely to vote for trump.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Third World Reggin posted:

Depicting trump as hitler is a good way to try to get the democratic base to rally behind hillary more so. It only serves the purpose of trying to convince bern outs to vote for hill dog. It doesn't really make people less likely to vote for trump.

Remember when the right made all the "Obama is literally Hitler" political cartoons in 2008 and liberals abandoned him in droves and voted for Romney? That worked almost as well when as we got "George W Bush is literally Hitler" memes after Iraq that convinced everyone and ensured Kerry won the White House. I'm sure this time we got it guys, we found the real, actual Hitler, get the word out on facebook and twitter ASAP.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

I gotta imagine there will be a few people who will be turned off by such blatant fascism

Like, I gotta imagine for the sake of my soul

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
When your friend or coworker says something good about Trump, DO NOT try to discuss it with him, or his policies, just pull out a portrait of Trump and a portrait of Hitler from your wallet, put them next to each other in his face and yell CANT YOU SEE?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Zelder posted:

I gotta imagine there will be a few people who will be turned off by such blatant fascism

Like, I gotta imagine for the sake of my soul

It can't be fascism if I agree with it

• Locked thread