Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

also the funniest card in the legendary cube is brothers yamazaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gridlocked posted:

RIP my hopes and dreams of seeing mcmagic in the top 8. :smith:

Bad luck bro.

Haha. Maybe next time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

En Fuego posted:

So, figured out that you only get the new commander product via packs from the Legendary Cube. Sure, why not.

Drafting a black/red controlly deck, cause I don't know if that's even a valid archetype. And I draft this.

I will let you figure out what's wrong with it.

I'm tired from standing all day, but I don't see it?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It can only resurrect non-legendary creatures, but was included in a cube where every creature is legendary.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

her -X is pretty bad in the legendary cube

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

I played against the guy randomly at a side table, but all I can tell you is that Thalia is really good against cheerios!

It was a cool deck. Maindeck meddling mages, sky hussar, thalia, and vryn's wingmare if I recall.

e; He was also super nice!

Judge's Familiar too, I thought I saw someone say? Hopefully it will pop up somewhere online.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Elyv posted:

also the funniest card in the legendary cube is brothers yamazaki

is there only one in there?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Rimusutera posted:

is there only one in there?

Nah, there are two. Saw em both.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

En Fuego posted:

Good. :colbert:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

En Fuego posted:

Yeah that's a good call.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Elyv posted:

her -X is pretty bad in the legendary cube

haha derp

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i looked up the top 8 decklists expecting to see stock UR twin having won but instead it was jeskai twin!! now i'm very angry that someone played cool cards like restoration angel in modern, please ban splinter twin to keep this from happening again.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

black potus posted:

i looked up the top 8 decklists expecting to see stock UR twin having won but instead it was jeskai twin!! now i'm very angry that someone played cool cards like restoration angel in modern, please ban splinter twin to keep this from happening again.

Please Ban Modern

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

black potus posted:

Good news! They're definitely going to ban Splinter Twin in the next B/R change. I've seen a lot of pro's talking about it on twitter.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Gridlocked posted:

Please Ban Modern

personally, I am against formats

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Good news! They're definitely going to ban Splinter Twin in the next B/R change. I've seen a lot of pro's talking about it on twitter.

Nah.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Not sure if sarcasm or not, but what I have seen from the pro's is the expect to see some kind of Bloom Titan ban. If you were by chance serious, I'm curious what pro's? I know LSV is expecting a ban from Bloom Titan.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppit15/top-8-decklists-2015-11-22

Haven't seen this posted yet. Wescoe's GW aggro list is my jam and it's nice to see some bears do well at a big event. Other interesting standout is the Titan Scapeshift list, with 4 khalni heart expeditions and 2 Commune with Lava of all things.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
Modern is a super fun and cool format that's far more diverse right now than most people give it credit for. Even if Twin and Affinity make up ~20% of the format, there's still a huge number of Tier 1-1.5 lists that can put in a good showing on any given day. Banning anything right now is dumb as nothing is truly oppressive or broken. 'But I don't like watching/playing against X because its boring!' is always a dumb reason to ban something.

Thanks for your time and for reading my terrible opinions.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Krigen posted:

Modern is a super fun and cool format that's far more diverse right now than most people give it credit for. Even if Twin and Affinity make up ~20% of the format, there's still a huge number of Tier 1-1.5 lists that can put in a good showing on any given day. Banning anything right now is dumb as nothing is truly oppressive or broken. 'But I don't like watching/playing against X because its boring!' is always a dumb reason to ban something.

Thanks for your time and for reading my terrible opinions.

WotC doesn't curate the Modern banlist just for the sake of format health, there's also a big motivation to shake it up in the winter before that year's Modern PT, which is why we so rarely see Modern bans at any other time of year.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppit15/top-8-decklists-2015-11-22

Haven't seen this posted yet. Wescoe's GW aggro list is my jam and it's nice to see some bears do well at a big event. Other interesting standout is the Titan Scapeshift list, with 4 khalni heart expeditions and 2 Commune with Lava of all things.

9th-32nd are up as well, highlights include Naya Burn with 4x Monastery Mentor and a Grixis Control deck running two copies of the Nalaar parents :eyepop:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

C-Euro posted:

9th-32nd are up as well, highlights include Naya Burn with 4x Monastery Mentor and a Grixis Control deck running two copies of the Nalaar parents :eyepop:

aaaaaaaaaaand Deflecting Palm? :eyepop:

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

C-Euro posted:

must be misentered since i assume that's swiftspear.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Unusual decks in there: Living Twin and UB Faeries. Also Fat Elspeth was in the board of the winning deck

C-Euro posted:

There were a couple of helicopter parents in the top 8 as well, people are warming on it as a modern playable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheLawinator posted:

must be misentered since i assume that's swiftspear.

Yeah I was wondering about that, but I wonder if Mentor has a case for being included in Burn. Seems like generating pseudo-Swiftspears would be a nice curve-topper, though Bolt-Bolt-Bolt is probably a better turn 3 play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that, but I wonder if Mentor has a case for being included in Burn. Seems like generating pseudo-Swiftspears would be a nice curve-topper, though Bolt-Bolt-Bolt is probably a better turn 3 play.

It'll eat a removal spell and buy them a full turn.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

aaaaaaaaaaand Deflecting Palm? :eyepop:

deflecting palm has actually seen play in burn for quite a while; in any matchup where they're pressuring your life total, considering the strategy that burn operates, the card is a huge blowout.

lovely fanfic or that one mediocre uncharted realms where lili and jace go on a date, which is it?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

lovely fanfic or that one mediocre uncharted realms where lili and jace go on a date, which is it?

Apparently:

I'm sure there's plenty of fan fiction of the two banging it out though if I were to take five minutes to look at fanfiction.net.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Ari Marmell looks exactly how I'd picture him, based off that writing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Coming soon to you, the new erotic fantasy novel starring your favorite planeswalker: Agents of Orifice.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I bought a copy of that book for everyone in my playgroup. I paid something like $5 for a dozen copies. I don't think anyone made it more than 3 pages in.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Of course Jace is going to be a Coolguy Sex-Haver while simultaneously being manipulated by a female.

Magic players are bad enough with tons of Epic Fantasy(tm) reinforcing their myopic worldviews. Did the world need another trope-ridden waste of trees laser focused on this demographic?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
"oh jace, you don't need to be as strong or as brutish as that awful garruk fellow, i love you for your mind"

There's some prime RedPill poo poo that could work with this.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

From what I've heard on Tumblr, Liliana is pretty terrible to Jace, and a lot of folks who are interested in shipping (yes, they exist) are against that relationship for that reason.

As to why I know this... :negative: is all I can say.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
The only Magic slashfic I found was one of Urabrask and Melira.

It was painful.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Frozen_flame posted:

It was painful.

Did not know Urabrask was a lady (or that Melira's a fellow?), that'll teach me to make assumptions about the gender identities of non-gender-binary extra-dimensional beings in the world of Wizard Poker.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Frozen_flame posted:

It was painful.

Its why he prefers to stay Hidden

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If they don't involve a pairing that combos off in-game I'm not interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tubgoat posted:

Did not know Urabrask was a lady (or that Melira's a fellow?), that'll teach me to make assumptions about the gender identities of non-gender-binary extra-dimensional beings in the world of Wizard Poker.

Urabrask is a dude. The person you're quoting is somehow innocent enough to not know the meaning of slash fiction.

• Locked thread