Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Terry hates potty talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Best opening so far.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

Best opening so far.

:perfect:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I thought this episode was one of the weakest I've seen. Based on the lack of activity in this thread I don't think I'm alone. Of course Holt still gave me a few laughs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really liked it, and yeah Holt was excellent. How is his character even better than it was in s1 without too many people complaining about it going 'cartoony'? I thought everyone was on point, like they all wanted the episode to sum up their characters through their actions/dialogue more than any other.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really liked it, and yeah Holt was excellent. How is his character even better than it was in s1 without too many people complaining about it going 'cartoony'? I thought everyone was on point, like they all wanted the episode to sum up their characters through their actions/dialogue more than any other.
The Diaz plot felt a little weak, but it does seem to be part of a longer arc of her softening up generally. I wonder if we're heading in the direction of her realizing she actually likes Charles while he's completely over her.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it's because Holt has gone less cartoony. He's more of a human being who emotes occasionally now instead of a one note killjoy.

I liked the episode. This is the first one to be 'about' the relationship, other than them figuring out how to get around the Vulture, and it worked pretty well. I'm glad they figured out the way to get around people's worries about Jake and Amy actually dating was to just not make it a big deal.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's refreshing to see a previously will-they/won't-they couple on a sitcom not immediately head for a series of disasters for faux drama and actually handle their issues like rational adults.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm super wary of where they're taking Rosa though. I don't really get why they took Marcus away and it's making me worried they're going to try open up the Boyle-Diaz thing again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's because Nick Cannon is terrible and has no chemistry with Beatriz.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It's because the Pontiac bandit is coming back to woo Rosa under the 99's nose

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Democratic Pirate posted:

It's because the Pontiac bandit is coming back to woo Rosa under the 99's nose

Rooooooooosa, Rosa, Rosa, Roooooooooooosssaaaaaaaaa! I can't think of your last name, baby!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

zoux posted:

It's because Nick Cannon is terrible and has no chemistry with Beatriz.

I think it's just this. He was a non entity, allowed for character growth, and now Rosa can move on.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nick Cannon was great in what little we saw of him, it was more that the show was totally unwilling to actually invest in her relationship with him in any significant way and show development so it was a totally pointless "relationship" that they had

mike schur has a problem with developing relationships between a main cast member and a non-main cast member, mostly dealing with keeping them on the show long enough for any chemistry to develop, hence all the problems with Leslie's relationship with Justin Theroux (remember him? thought not) in season 2, or Tom's completely nonexistent romantic life (which they attempted to double down on for comedy but it never really made sense with Tom's established character of actually being socially charming and likeable). The only one who even sorta dodged that trend was Ron and Diane, and that got hosed up in later seasons how the show would just forget that Ron was married to her or that she even existed

anyways, let's be honest:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm super wary of where they're taking Rosa though. I don't really get why they took Marcus away and it's making me worried they're going to try open up the Boyle-Diaz thing again.

this is exactly what they're going to do. like one-hundred-billion-loving percent. like, absolutely zero loving chance they don't end up together by the time this show ends. in all honesty i think Boyle/Gina has better chemistry, is more comedically interesting, and they work a lot better as an onscreen couple but since that began and ended and they're now, legally speaking, siblings, i think there's zero chance of it happening

Which leaves literally speaking the only relationship available on the show Boyle/Diaz which should be....yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
You're discounting the very real possibility of Diaz/Hitchcock.

But it's a problem with a lot of shows of bringing in guest stars that will obviously never commit to a season and having them in a relationship with a character. If it's a side character, you can get away with it for a while like they did with Diaz and hope you get the actor often enough to do things with. But sometimes you want to do new things with the character and have to end it pretty abruptly.

It was pretty lucky that they got Lucy Lawless enough on P&R to keep that going for Ron, but they had the in-built reason of him being incredibly private not to focus on his relationship except for when they had her.

I don't think it's an absolute she'll end up with Boyle, as they haven't even hinted at it since they dropped it. I think it's more likely they'll stop focusing on her love life for a bit, or get a smaller actor who can commit to a guest spot. If they get a few more seasons, it becomes a lot more likely as shows that go too long end up returning to dropped threads out of desperation.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Martman posted:

The Diaz plot felt a little weak, but it does seem to be part of a longer arc of her softening up generally. I wonder if we're heading in the direction of her realizing she actually likes Charles while he's completely over her.

Oh God, I hope not. Their friendship has turned into a real show highlight for me, and the idea that eventually Rosa will see ¨~ the true beauty of Charles's soul~ and bone down with him is not a pleasant one. Plus, looking at the choices they've made when it comes to partners, they're not very well matched romantically speaking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Toxxupation posted:

The only one who even sorta dodged that trend was Ron and Diane, and that got hosed up in later seasons how the show would just forget that Ron was married to her or that she even existed

That was always a real shame, they worked well and I hoped it meant we'd see more of her (not necessarily main-cast amount, but at least appear) but she was barely name checked.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have some deeply tragic news for you.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Still Fluxing posted:

Oh God, I hope not. Their friendship has turned into a real show highlight for me, and the idea that eventually Rosa will see ¨~ the true beauty of Charles's soul~ and bone down with him is not a pleasant one. Plus, looking at the choices they've made when it comes to partners, they're not very well matched romantically speaking.

Hey as long as she's not a GLUTEN FREE VEGAN!!!!! Charles will be okay.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nick Offerman as Andre Braugher's ex. YES.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nick Offerman as Andre Braugher's ex. YES.

:hfive:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
STOP SAYING THAT WORD!!!

This is the best show with real people that's on Sunday Nights.

Also Gina's reaction to everything pregnancy related is fantastic.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

twistedmentat posted:

Also Gina's reaction to everything pregnancy related is fantastic.

I just learned what an Episiotomy is and I need 90 minutes to process it :(

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The opener was magnificent

e: Vaginal Gandalf, Holt chewing gum slowly while staring, Terry's interrogation

this episode is amazing

Jake is fuckin on point in every scene

:laffo: young Holt and he hated the duck for its "weak beak"

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 23, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

old dog child posted:

Flashback Holt is amazing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I really hope they get Frederick to return for future episodes.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

old dog child posted:

Yeah, I loved that he didn't hate it because it was a wooden duck, like you'd see in any other sitcom relationship. He hated that specific wooden duck for its aesthetic qualities.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Capt-Ent Holt.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Practical Demon posted:

Yeah, I loved that he didn't hate it because it was a wooden duck, like you'd see in any other sitcom relationship. He hated that specific wooden duck for its aesthetic qualities.

To be fair if you are gonna spend $700 on a wooden duck decoy it should at least look like a strong, proud duck.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm really hoping that Offerman made that duck. He's an accomplished carpenter.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I will literally never tire of Captain Holt blocking Boyle's attempts to give thanks. It's just not the appropriate time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It should've been me! IT SHOULD'VE BEEN ME! :cry:

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Yay for Riki and Ders

RIP Snackie Chan :(

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's physics, Terry.

UNLEASH THE BEAST

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 7, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Except Danish, it is a garbage language for garbage people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Riki Lindhome should be on every comedy :allears:

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Great episode.

Best line of the night that had me roliing:

Holt- "Boyle, is everything okay, you know, with your brain?"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the best bit was Holt's face after boyle slapped his butt.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I need a youtube video of Andre Braugher saying "UNLEASH THE BEAST" to listen to every time I go to the gym.

Also NDT cameo was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well you are just a fu...n guy

• Locked thread