Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

FlyingCheese posted:

There is some serious Stockholm syndrome going on in this thread. Every year is supposed to be the year Sprint is going to turn things around and with every year comes a few small improvements if any while the other carriers leave Sprint in the dust.

Outside of SERO there's no way I'd stick with Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

EdEddnEddy posted:

What can be good though is Sprint will eventually turn things around (by cutting a ton of Fat that will not be their network hardware since that is the only thing they got) but if they happen to get reorged by their big investor, that either means they will screw all their old time subcribers, or it will make for a bunch of killer deals for new people to join as they need more subscribers which they did get this last quarter.

If by "get reorged by their big investor" you mean "SoftBank, Sprint's owners, has told the public that it will cut 2 BILLION dollars from Sprint's operating budget", then guess what literally just happened.

There is no possible universe in which this is positive news for Sprint or its customers. I don't understand how you think "cutting the fat" is going to help a company that still hasn't finished its LTE rollout in TYOOL 2015.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

FlyingCheese posted:

There is some serious Stockholm syndrome going on in this thread. Every year is supposed to be the year Sprint is going to turn things around and with every year comes a few small improvements if any while the other carriers leave Sprint in the dust.

Absolutely, this is why I am leaving for Google - Fi . At least I get the option of the stronger signal between T-mobile and Sprint for a lower price. I've been waiting on Sprint for over 10 years to catch up and they never have. I'm checking out in 10 days and I am not coming back. If Fi doesn't work out I'll go with the evil that is Verizon.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If by "get reorged by their big investor" you mean "SoftBank, Sprint's owners, has told the public that it will cut 2 BILLION dollars from Sprint's operating budget", then guess what literally just happened.

There is no possible universe in which this is positive news for Sprint or its customers. I don't understand how you think "cutting the fat" is going to help a company that still hasn't finished its LTE rollout in TYOOL 2015.

Well yes and no. Their network literally cannot be hampered from being "finished" in 2016 or else it will cost them even more for failing to meet the spectrum deal they got (forget exactly where I read it, but it was part of the deal for some of the spectrum they purchased, they had to have coverage at a certain percentage of completion by 2016 or incur a huge fine.)

The more Corporate company function parts of course will get cut and customer service may suffer, but their hardware should be good from that list for at least a bit.

However if they don't get in the black by the end of 2016, then things might start going downhill again if they can't afford to keep positive network growth/improvement past the "requirements" they had. Then well, if SERO dies, I leave and won't care less what happens then.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well yes and no. Their network literally cannot be hampered from being "finished" in 2016 or else it will cost them even more for failing to meet the spectrum deal they got (forget exactly where I read it, but it was part of the deal for some of the spectrum they purchased, they had to have coverage at a certain percentage of completion by 2016 or incur a huge fine.)

The more Corporate company function parts of course will get cut and customer service may suffer, but their hardware should be good from that list for at least a bit.

However if they don't get in the black by the end of 2016, then things might start going downhill again if they can't afford to keep positive network growth/improvement past the "requirements" they had. Then well, if SERO dies, I leave and won't care less what happens then.

Are you talking about 2.5ghz? There's no such coverage requirement, they got that from buying Clearwire. Who would fine them and why?

Here are some fun quotes:

"So the peak speeds that we can offer now, basically 50 to 60 megabits per second, in two years will be more like 150 to 180 megabits per second because we have 120 MHz of spectrum on Clearwire and what we are able to do is rather than have a whole bunch of 20s, slap them basically into two big mass of 60s that can go really, really fast and that's leading-edge technology."

--Sprint CEO Dan Hesse, December 2013

"Clearly we've come a long way from where we were. This year we will be able to say we are back in the game."

--Sprint CTO Stephen Bye, January 2014

"We're in the process of enabling 2x20 TDD carrier aggregation within the 2.5 GHz band which will further improve the speed and capacity of the network."

--Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure, May 2015

It's November 2015. Sprint's Big Plans for their giant chunk of 2.5ghz band haven't materialized after more than 3 years of talking about it. They have no plans whatsoever for VoLTE. They just got 2 billion dollars cut out of their operating budget for 2016.

Thinking anything will improve for Sprint in 2016 is pants-on-head delusional based on the evidence at hand.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Krime posted:

Outside of SERO there's no way I'd stick with Sprint.

This

If I ever lose mine for whatever reason it's off to t-mo

e:
So glad they finished the LTE rollout in my area. :smuggo:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 9, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Update: I am checking out tomorrow since my phone comes in tomorrow along with my Fi sim card. I will let you folks know how it does compared to Sprint.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sprint won't turn around. 2.5MHz sucks, their organization isn't there and will get worse with layoffs, and they are bleeding all the good, postpaid customers.

T-Mobile was in a similar boat before Legere turned it around, but there are two differences: 1. T-Mobile at least has a decent data network when you have coverage, and 2. T-Mobile got to lay claim to be the affordable carrier. There isn't room for two "uncarriers."

11 years and counting of not turning a profit.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

e.pilot posted:

This

If I ever lose mine for whatever reason it's off to t-mo

e:
So glad they finished the LTE rollout in my area. :smuggo:

Guess I'll just enjoy it while it last...

Just took another look at that... Wtf Virgin Mobile? Whatever, it was on Cellular and I have Sprint so it still counts.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 10, 2015

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Fuckin' :laffo:

LTE, eh?

I love the ad, too.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
This LTE speed brought to you by James Bond: Spectre (in theaters now!)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I'm only on sprint because it's free to me (corporate account), but we may be porting off due to how lovely it got.

In the meantime - WTF did they do with this weird phone leasing thing? I think we're still grandfathered in (but I have no access to check - my number isn't a sprint number according to sprint) and it's time to get a new phone or I'm wasting money on the carrier subsidy.

I found out how hosed everything is when I went to get a 6P - I have to buy it upfront and keep paying the carrier subsidy while I get nothing for it, or lose my unlimited data.

Goddamnit, why is the US cellphone market so bad?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
This is XPosted from the Recommend me a plan/phone thread:
This is gonna be a long one, and I'll probably XPost to the Sprint thread as well, but wanted to see other options:

Country/Provider:USA- Location: Cape Cod for my wife and me, Eastern Panhandle of WV for my mom
Current contract status: Currently Sprint, out of contract on old EPRP 1600 family plan. Current Bill is $197/month for three lines, including Assurion on two lines. Currently, all three lines have S4's on them. Base cost (no insurance, taxes, etc is $155)
Budget (phone/plan): Phones: Unlimited, I'm willing to shell out $650 for a 128GB Nexus 6P. Plan: I'd like to pay about what we do now, or less. The current plan is set up for subsidized phones, so I know we're paying more for that option.
Features I know I want: I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 6P, my wife is leaning toward 5x, my mom will probably buy an S6, Note 5, or something else... who knows, up to her.

I'm looking to either stay with Sprint and save money on the plan, or switch carriers. Sprint coverage where my wife and I live is great, and aside from the occasional trip to Upstate NY, we have no issues with coverage. Data speeds are usually pretty good, but occasionally we get the usual "Sprint Speed", where I'm getting 200kbps or less on "4G LTE". My mother lives in the ShenTel area where Sprint got majorly upgraded, and she's happy with coverage and speeds. Google Fi is out for us, as it TMobile.
We're keeping all 3 lines, and I often burn through a lot of data when I'm on the road. For example, last month, I used 9GB of 4G and 2 GB of 3G. My wife used around 2GB total, and my mom used 4GB. It's pretty common for me to go through 15-20GB a month. I'd love to see what the costs would be with different providers, but I can't seem to find a way to actually price out the plans without entering all sorts of info that I don't have (Verizon wants the IMEI and phone info on a phone I don't own yet, for example, and Sprint's BYOD system doesn't list the plans, you have to go in-store or call).

So, how much would it cost to get a BYOD plan from Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint for 3 devices, and say 12/24GB (or close) of Data?

Is there a way to stay with Sprint, but cut our bill down? Or should I just renew my contract, use the subsidy to buy 3 i Phone6+'s, and sell them?

::edit:: According to http://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Carriers/Sprint/Lines/4, there's a 40GB BYOD, No Contract plan from Sprint for $120/month for up to 4 lines? :wtf: If this is the case, that's $35/month cheaper, and no contract.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 15, 2015

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

I'm only on sprint because it's free to me (corporate account), but we may be porting off due to how lovely it got.

In the meantime - WTF did they do with this weird phone leasing thing? I think we're still grandfathered in (but I have no access to check - my number isn't a sprint number according to sprint) and it's time to get a new phone or I'm wasting money on the carrier subsidy.

I found out how hosed everything is when I went to get a 6P - I have to buy it upfront and keep paying the carrier subsidy while I get nothing for it, or lose my unlimited data.

Goddamnit, why is the US cellphone market so bad?

I really want a 6p - can I buy a phone on my contract and sell it to someone, or is it locked until the 2 years are up?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sharkytm posted:

::edit:: According to http://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Carriers/Sprint/Lines/4, there's a 40GB BYOD, No Contract plan from Sprint for $120/month for up to 4 lines? :wtf: If this is the case, that's $35/month cheaper, and no contract.

Good luck trying to get them to give you that price. I spent hours on the phone with them, there's a $15 per line monthly charge on top of that price they absolutely refuse to get rid of for existing customers. I asked multiple times "If I just port all my numbers out to another carrier for a month and come back, you'll give me the pricing you advertise, right?" and they said yes. And then refused to give me the price as long as I was still a customer. So I left, and will never come back.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Harik posted:

I really want a 6p - can I buy a phone on my contract and sell it to someone, or is it locked until the 2 years are up?

Any phone on contract with Sprint will be locked for the duration of the contract.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Good luck trying to get them to give you that price. I spent hours on the phone with them, there's a $15 per line monthly charge on top of that price they absolutely refuse to get rid of for existing customers. I asked multiple times "If I just port all my numbers out to another carrier for a month and come back, you'll give me the pricing you advertise, right?" and they said yes. And then refused to give me the price as long as I was still a customer. So I left, and will never come back.

Hopefully you told them this is the reason you left and aren't coming back because that's ridiculous.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Any phone on contract with Sprint will be locked for the duration of the contract.

Goddamnit. I mean, it's good, all phones should be free of the carriers like this, but the switch is going to be painful for a while.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I did the same thing, except I'm staying, as no one has a plan that comes close on price. Amazingly, I'm happy with my coverage and speeds most of the time... Still, it was ridiculous for them to deny the price unless I ported out and back, which isn't simple of four lines in three states with two mothers who aren't technical at all.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sharkytm posted:

I did the same thing, except I'm staying, as no one has a plan that comes close on price. Amazingly, I'm happy with my coverage and speeds most of the time... Still, it was ridiculous for them to deny the price unless I ported out and back, which isn't simple of four lines in three states with two mothers who aren't technical at all.

T-Mobile will give you 4 lines with 6GB each, which rolls over for a year, for $120 a month. It was 10GB with a promo that just ended, but even still it's equal to or better than Sprint's plans.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

As of 35 minutes ago, I am officially done with my contract and with Sprint altogether. :toot:

See ya in hell, you shitbox phone company.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Infidel Castro posted:

As of 35 minutes ago, I am officially done with my contract and with Sprint altogether. :toot:

See ya in hell, you shitbox phone company.

So am I and it cost me 161 dollars (including my last month's bill.) It was worth every penny. Looks like in the first month alone I'll save 58 dollars a month and get better service.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Darkpriest667 posted:

So am I and it cost me 161 dollars (including my last month's bill.) It was worth every penny. Looks like in the first month alone I'll save 58 dollars a month and get better service.

Out of curiosity, where are you going to get better service for less money? It seems like T-Mobile is the only really comparable provider from a price perspective, but isn't their service is even more location dependent than Sprint's?

I'm open to switching, but Sprint has been okay enough for me. Plus I have 3 lines on the old unlimited data share plan and something like a 22% discount, so I don't know how much I'd actually save in the long run by switching. Even Sprint's own new share plans would end up costing me more money than what I pay now.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

brc64 posted:

Out of curiosity, where are you going to get better service for less money? It seems like T-Mobile is the only really comparable provider from a price perspective, but isn't their service is even more location dependent than Sprint's?

I'm open to switching, but Sprint has been okay enough for me. Plus I have 3 lines on the old unlimited data share plan and something like a 22% discount, so I don't know how much I'd actually save in the long run by switching. Even Sprint's own new share plans would end up costing me more money than what I pay now.

It's called google-fi. my bill is 64 a month and it uses wifi so much that i've literally only used .28 GB of data.. They reimburse your account for everything you don't use looks like I'll be paying about 35 to 50 dollars a month for service instead of 91.

Edit since i've used .21 (sorry I just checked it's not .28) and already been on 10 days of the first 30.. It is very likely that I will not even use a full GB of data a month. Even as much as I do on my phone. it's 20 for service + 10 per GB of data.. I'll be refunded looks like 34 dollars so my service cost per month will be 26 dollars this month. Versus 91 for sprint.. I'll take it.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 21, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I hope they open up g-fi to more devices soon

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
God Sprints website is just the god damned worst. All I want to do is see what a BYOD unl/unl/2gb plan would cost because that $91 a month above sounds awfully high.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

e.pilot posted:

I hope they open up g-fi to more devices soon

It's unlikely they will since most devices are company bound. They don't run all of the radio bands necessary. Google Nexus devices are some of the few, that I know of, that run on all the spectrum. That's an important feature. A few LG phones have been compatible with FI but they drop on some of the bands. It's really about the manufacturers of the devices. Companies like Samsung and others don't want to spend the 3 dollars a device it takes to make sure they receive all the radio bands. Pretty pathetic. I'll never own a non nexus (or google produced) phone again.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

God Sprints website is just the god damned worst. All I want to do is see what a BYOD unl/unl/2gb plan would cost because that $91 a month above sounds awfully high.

I was on a grandfathered unlimited everything plan. Even their lowest tier plan still costs 73 a month after taxes. They charge you a poo poo ton in fees and taxes. It's 14 dollars a month.

EDIT this was my plan

59.99 unlimited everything
10 dollar fee for "premium data" (4G)
21 dollars in fees and taxes ...

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 22, 2015

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Darkpriest667 posted:

It's called google-fi. my bill is 64 a month and it uses wifi so much that i've literally only used .28 GB of data.. They reimburse your account for everything you don't use looks like I'll be paying about 35 to 50 dollars a month for service instead of 91.

Edit since i've used .21 (sorry I just checked it's not .28) and already been on 10 days of the first 30.. It is very likely that I will not even use a full GB of data a month. Even as much as I do on my phone. it's 20 for service + 10 per GB of data.. I'll be refunded looks like 34 dollars so my service cost per month will be 26 dollars this month. Versus 91 for sprint.. I'll take it.

Fi's mobile data operates on both Sprint and T-Mobile networks and auto selects the best one (assuming it can't find an open WiFi network). It's pretty great. On Sprint I could only get mediocre 3G at work, but right now I'm on a solid 4G connection (which I would assume is a T-Mo signal).

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Infidel Castro posted:

Fi's mobile data operates on both Sprint and T-Mobile networks and auto selects the best one (assuming it can't find an open WiFi network). It's pretty great. On Sprint I could only get mediocre 3G at work, but right now I'm on a solid 4G connection (which I would assume is a T-Mo signal).

I am assuming the same thing. I am using so little data every month I will probably get two months for the price of one. So about 30 a month versus 90. The 583 dollar 6P will pay for itself and the ETF in less than a year.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

$30 for 2gb plan plus $20 access fee plus taxes.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wizard of Smart posted:

$30 for 2gb plan plus $20 access fee plus taxes.

plus 10 dollar "premium" data charge for all 4G devices

and taxes with sprint are between 18 and 24 dollars a month depending on the month.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Darkpriest667 posted:

plus 10 dollar "premium" data charge for all 4G devices

Is this really still a thing outside of SERO/EPRP? They can't possibly sell a single device that uses data but doesn't have 4G capabilities.

edit: and taxes are dependent on the state, and sometimes even the city, and also the amount of the bill.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is this really still a thing outside of SERO/EPRP? They can't possibly sell a single device that uses data but doesn't have 4G capabilities.

edit: and taxes are dependent on the state, and sometimes even the city, and also the amount of the bill.

Yes, though only for existing customers. They do not include these charges on new accounts.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes, though only for existing customers. They do not include these charges on new accounts.

I had no idea.. so I could have cancelled and come back and saved 10 a month.. wow... pricks.. so glad I left them

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

While I realize Sprint is under no sort of obligation to do so, it seems like pissing all over the existing customer base is a good way to ensure that you keep on hemorrhaging customers to everyone else. At the end of the year I'm making two of my family plan lines no longer my problem, and the one I'm keeping is getting the gently caress off of Sprint (at least directly). Can't decide between Ting and Cricket for that one.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Darkpriest667 posted:

I am assuming the same thing. I am using so little data every month I will probably get two months for the price of one. So about 30 a month versus 90. The 583 dollar 6P will pay for itself and the ETF in less than a year.

I'm just waiting for my invite.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can't decide between Ting and Cricket for that one.

I'm leaning towards Cricket (AT&T network) over Page plus (Verizon network). I'm just taking my good ole time before I leave Sprint.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
If I pay an ETF, can I get my S5 unlocked and use it on Tmobile?

Also, can I do this on only the primary line on a family account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Triikan posted:

If I pay an ETF, can I get my S5 unlocked and use it on Tmobile?

Also, can I do this on only the primary line on a family account?

The S5 can't be domestic SIM unlocked. Only the S6 and newer.
https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Yes for question two. Porting the number will cancel your line. It won't cancel your other lines.