Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

NancyPants posted:

Can't disagree that public schools are getting the short end of the stick, but assuming a school teacher would be an absolute authority on education is like thinking a doctor wouldn't hawk snake oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA0wKeokWUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I have a lot of public school teachers in my family. One of them is currently trying to convince her son's middle school to hold him back a year so that he will be bigger than the other boys in his grade and will be more likely to dominate in sports so he can get a scholarship after high school. When the principal pointed out that her son was literally the top of his class and doing this would deeply harm his development she got pissy and claimed he would be getting a call from her lawyer (lol, what lawyer?). She is par for the course when it comes to the critical thinking of my school teacher relatives.

:wtchris: I'm wondering how her son would feel repeating the same year and being bored shitless.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If given the opportunity I would send my kids to private school not because the education is better but because the number of kids who have parents that give a poo poo is a lot higher.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I have a lot of public school teachers in my family. One of them is currently trying to convince her son's middle school to hold him back a year so that he will be bigger than the other boys in his grade and will be more likely to dominate in sports so he can get a scholarship after high school. When the principal pointed out that her son was literally the top of his class and doing this would deeply harm his development she got pissy and claimed he would be getting a call from her lawyer (lol, what lawyer?). She is par for the course when it comes to the critical thinking of my school teacher relatives.

A friend of mine has a brother-in-law whose a school teacher and he's doing the same thing - planning on holding his kid back solely for sports.

There are a lot of stupid teachers.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I went to a private school, and there are two types of kids in private schools: the ones who are there because their parents wanted them to have a better education; and those who are on the verge of expulsion or have been expelled from public school and their parents think sending them to private school will magically fix them (hint: it doesn't). It creates a strange social dynamic.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yes I was thinking of Dr Oz. You're supporting my point.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bad with gas money: http://www.yelp.com/biz/vineland-shell-orlando

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

NancyPants posted:

Yes I was thinking of Dr Oz. You're supporting my point.

I know, I think that clip is awesome and other should watch it too. :hfive:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I don't know if it was that station specifically, but I do remember the last time the whole family visited Orlando for my dad's work conference, we got mega-gouged at a gas station right near the car rental return by the airport. When we saw the price, we pulled a :captainpop:, but by then we were running out of time to return the car and grab their shuttle to the terminal. It was probably 50% above the usual price.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't know if it was that station specifically, but I do remember the last time the whole family visited Orlando for my dad's work conference, we got mega-gouged at a gas station right near the car rental return by the airport. When we saw the price, we pulled a :captainpop:, but by then we were running out of time to return the car and grab their shuttle to the terminal. It was probably 50% above the usual price.

Yeah, same thing happened to us in Orlando. We ran the numbers, and it was just slightly less than taking the penalty from the rental company.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpelledBackwards posted:

Completely your fault. Going to go ahead and say it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

John Smith posted:

Completely your fault. Going to go ahead and say it.

Love to see this kind of bravery in posting :911:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pig slut lisa posted:

Me too

I thought it was a given that you're going to get gouged on any gas that's next to the airport or right on the freeway.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'm not saying these guys should be arrested. It's smart but lovely business.

We definitely should've filled up the night before or just when we left the hotel (I can't remember what the limit is before they stop considering the tank full at drop off). My dad wasn't pleased, but we took our lumps and got out of there.

pig slut lisa posted:

:agreed:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Re Private schools, there's also a ton of network effects from the elite ones, especially in certain areas (east coast). Heck, even in Chicago, which is nowhere near that elitist, people ask each other about what high school they attended all the time, it's really weird.

And as to holding back for sports, that's so stupid. Personally, my coaches thought I was going to be a great player because i was the youngest kid in my class yet in 7th grade I was 5'10 180. Then I never grew again :v:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SpelledBackwards posted:

Yeah those airport stations are pretty infamous here. For a while they didn't have the price signs out front so you didn't even know until you parked at the pump. It took a while but the city finally forced them to post the prices on a sign.

Then a Wawa opened across the street with normal prices. :love: Wawa

The story a few years ago: http://m.clickorlando.com/news/wawa-offers-cheaper-gas-near-orlando-international-airport/21696952

The two airport stations plus the other I posted before have the highest prices in the country: http://www.today.com/money/florida-gas-stations-charges-almost-6-gallon-t26806

Zero One fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 23, 2015

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
The number of people with big incomes that cannot afford their present lifestyles and are also not capable of understanding that they need to compromise their lifestyles to afford them are the best loving evidence I can think of that compensation and merit are completely divorced from each other.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Car chat:

A family I know is having problems with their second car. It's a Volkswagen (and thus, a POS) that they bought used and they owe about 6k on it. Transmission went out entirely, and if they were to fix it, new worth plus repair price is still worth less than the $6k they owe.

What did the Honda dealership they went to recommend? Default on your old car loan! "You'll take a 40 point hit to your credit", "the bank has to take the car back". I told them they were crazy, and that it's possible in many states for the lender to go after them for the difference between what they owe vs. what the repo'd car is worth as collateral. But the guy at the dealership said it would be fine, so they took his word for it. They rolled away with a loan for a different used car at 22% APR, payments of about $600/mo :shepface:

Why do they need the second car? Their son's school is in the opposite direction from work (where they BOTH work) and they don't want to be bothered to make different arrangements (like, say, having the kid take the bus). They also don't want to move away because the McDojo he attends is so close to home, and if they're a member for only 3 more months (at $150/mo) they will be lifetime members!

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The number of people with big incomes that cannot afford their present lifestyles and are also not capable of understanding that they need to compromise their lifestyles to afford them are the best loving evidence I can think of that compensation and merit are completely divorced from each other.

It's hard for most people to give up concrete things that they care about because some numbers on a spreadsheet say that they won't last. I'm not sure whether it's more of a case of innumeracy or lack of self-discipline.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Being BWM means you're BWM and that's it. Whatever the personality traits or mental makeup that make you BWM could certainly rear their ugly heads in other facets of your life, but you can be a perfectly reasonable employee worthy of high compensation even if you don't have a clue how to responsibly spend it.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Barry posted:

Being BWM means you're BWM and that's it. Whatever the personality traits or mental makeup that make you BWM could certainly rear their ugly heads in other facets of your life, but you can be a perfectly reasonable employee worthy of high compensation even if you don't have a clue how to responsibly spend it.

On some level I agree that BWM is separable from quality of a person as an employee. But past a certain level of compensation I expect people beyond that threshold to have good decision making skills about how to use scarce resources most effectively. Which is a skill that pretty much noone who is BWM exercises.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's a lot easier to dispassionately allocate the resources of an organization than it is to deal with the subjective costs of scarcity in your own life. I've managed budgets 100x my salary with more discipline than my own finances, in part because deviating from the plan is harder than just ordering another bottle of wine at dinner. When you run a large organization, the financial operation piece is mostly about making and communicating the plan. Managing your own finances also involves operating each decision.

I think people tend to be more evidence-based in constructing and operating a corporate budget than they are with their own.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Our society is full of Very Hardworking Individuals Who Deserve Nice Things. Risk is not a consideration for many because personal finance education, at least as I experienced it in the USA, is abysmal. Monetary problems are an abstract concept for most people until they find themselves pinched. This may actually be worse for accomplished people, because they're the ones who can easily find ways to put off their problems longer, either by obtaining a larger line of credit or backloading their expenses.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This won't reach her because she's a moron, but scouts look for that poo poo. The field of pre-college athletic scouting is creepy and involves guys looking for kids who haven't hit puberty yet or haven't begun to physically mature and are already dominating so that when they do hit puberty, they'll be more likely to be even more of a freak athlete.

Edit: Keep your eyes peeled for these two hot 6th graders! http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/02/16/rivals-tracking-sixth-graders-recruiting

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 23, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/high-tide-of-spending-debt-swamps-pair-2/

quote:

Newquist earns about $102,000 a year before taxes as an electrical engineer with the engineering firm of Gray & Osborne in downtown Seattle. His income includes an annual bonus he puts into the family’s savings account.

Mueller is working part time as a mental-health counselor for a Bellevue clinic while she establishes her own business, Work and Play Therapy, in West Seattle.

She expects to earn about $30,000 this year before taxes and expenses. That’s down from the $80,000 she earned last year, when she worked more hours at the Bellevue clinic.

The couple and their 3-year-old daughter live in a West Seattle town house worth about $430,000, on which they owe about $285,000. They have a positive net worth of about $121,000.

But the family’s finances also contained time bombs that were more serious than the couple realized.

They didn’t curtail their spending to match their reduced household income. Newquist and Mueller also had separate credit-card accounts and were unaware of each other’s spending habits.

Their credit-card debt ballooned. They currently have an outstanding balance of about $26,000 on four credit accounts.

Also lurking was an even bigger debt bomb: outstanding student loans.

After earning a bachelor’s degree from Washington State University, Mueller enrolled in a doctoral program at Argosy University. She didn’t earn the doctorate, although she did graduate with a master’s degree in clinical psychology.

It was an expensive degree. Mueller accumulated four student loans from banks and 15 student loans from federal programs. Combined, her outstanding student loans add up to about $208,000.

She is paying $400 a month on her private student loans. Her federal loans, which total about $156,000, are in forbearance. That means she doesn’t have to make payments for now, although the interest on the debt continues to accumulate.

Mueller paid little attention to the loans and admits her casual approach to money made it difficult to see the consequences.

Newquist, who is more practical, also knew about the loans, although he underestimated the size of the projected monthly payments.

Between the credit cards, student loans, the mortgage and a car loan, the couple’s monthly debt payments add up to about $3,700 a month. The debt, combined with diminished income, was dragging them down.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

mastershakeman posted:

Re Private schools, there's also a ton of network effects from the elite ones, especially in certain areas (east coast). Heck, even in Chicago, which is nowhere near that elitist, people ask each other about what high school they attended all the time, it's really weird.

I designed a newsletter for a private school high school. It's for alumni, and it's page after page of all these networking events and deals where these people who went to school together schmooze and no doubt hook each other up with jobs. I definitely believe getting embedded in those social circles at an early age can help a lot of people.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

$30,000 earnings before loving taxes and expenses, compared with her current $80,000-a-year job. Bad with money AND bad with career.

Like, there's nothing wrong with getting a job as a play therapist, but not when you rack up two hundred thousand dollars in student debt for a degree that massively overqualifies you. Is she even going to pay off the loan from her earnings across her entire working life at that rate?

e: at her current loan repayment rate she would take 43 years to pay them off before taking any interest into account. :aaa:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Paying for grad school is almost always an indicator of BWM, esp if aiming for a PhD.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
A couple completely unaware of their financial situation are "living the American dream."

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

A couple completely unaware of their financial situation are "living the American dream."

There's definitely a sleepwalking kind of quality to it

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Breetai posted:

$30,000 earnings before loving taxes and expenses, compared with her current $80,000-a-year job. Bad with money AND bad with career.

Like, there's nothing wrong with getting a job as a play therapist, but not when you rack up two hundred thousand dollars in student debt for a degree that massively overqualifies you. Is she even going to pay off the loan from her earnings across her entire working life at that rate?

e: at her current loan repayment rate she would take 43 years to pay them off before taking any interest into account. :aaa:

She might just have a temporary couple of low-earnings years until her own business becomes more established. Or, it could fail and she might need to go back to doing something like she was before, and hopefully with a similar income.

Either way, better spend spend spend like nothing has changed!

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

pr0zac posted:

Paying for grad school is almost always an indicator of BWM, esp if aiming for a PhD.

Especially when it's a for-profit "university".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The best part is if you take their credit card balance and subtract it from their home equity, you almost exactly get their net worth. So they have almost no cash savings and probably literally zero in retirement savings. Couldn't even do IRAs on 180k+?

Edit: unless that figure accounts for the student loans, but I doubt it.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Pretty sure net worth is meant to be assets - liabilities. Not house equity - credit cards. They are pretty far below zero net worth. Unless student loans don't count anymore.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here's an excellent in-depth article on how so many public university athletic programs in the Power 5 conferences consistently run deficits, even though they all take in tens of millions in annual revenue.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Pretty sure net worth is meant to be assets - liabilities. Not house equity - credit cards. They are pretty far below zero net worth. Unless student loans don't count anymore.

If it's assets - liabilities, the student loans are counted and their net worth is in fact 121,000, meaning they probably have around 200k in retirement accounts. Still pretty bad, but at least there's that I suppose, it's more than most have saved by ~40.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I had a meeting at a hotel with a client today and the conference room next door was hosting a forex day trading seminar, complete with sleazy looking guys in cheap suits. I assumed everyone who walked in there was bwm

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Krispy Kareem posted:

A friend of mine has a brother-in-law whose a school teacher and he's doing the same thing - planning on holding his kid back solely for sports.

There are a lot of stupid teachers.
They call it a "redshirt." I thought it was mostly a Ohio or Texas football thing.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I went to a private school, and there are two types of kids in private schools: the ones who are there because their parents wanted them to have a better education; and those who are on the verge of expulsion or have been expelled from public school and their parents think sending them to private school will magically fix them (hint: it doesn't). It creates a strange social dynamic.
Don't forget the crazy religious schools!
"Professional" pscyhology schools are usually bad with money. Hello, psychology as a field is pretty bad with money. The Seattle one isn't even APA accredited.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There's something especially sad about a parent basically saying "our child has no chance to succeed at anything except at sports and I'm willing to compromise their education and social development so that maybe, just maybe, they can be the big tough guy at school for one extra year".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

*taps mic*

Guys? Blue Story's back. Get over there right now, she's in goon doctor.

Here's a tidbit...

Blue Story posted:

I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week. Which means that I can't eat the vast majority of fast food and froofy sandwiches anymore. No more juice, no more massive amounts of apples, no more massive amounts of bread and pasta products. No more potatoes or rice. Any lazy low-carb recipes are appreciated!

To nobody's great surprise...

Fly, you fools

• Locked thread