Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Safety Factor posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rat-Catcher :colbert:

as long as his name is a play on Charlie Kelly

Maybe like Charles Kellerson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bretonian Peasant. Default weapons are a bundle of sticks and a bag of rocks. Can also get a single big stick or one really big rock

If that Peasant's name is "Fat Sniffer" I'm sold.

Modi1024
Nov 15, 2012

President Ark posted:

Yes. They mostly stick to conventional rats, but hanging out in sewers and so on means they have the most knowledge of the Skaven among imperial citizens (skaven being regarded as a kind of boogeyman)... and, since they were generally weirdos before choosing the profession that involves hanging out in sewers all the time, are usually regarded as nutjobs and all reports of giant rats walking like men written off as conspiracy theories and/or madness.

Also canon is that part of their starting equipment in the RPG they were introduced in is "a small, but vicious dog".

That's pretty awesome, and could have some fun gameplay mechanics.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Modi1024 posted:

That's pretty awesome, and could have some fun gameplay mechanics.

I'd love to see the thing leap at the Skaven like the Rabbit of Caerbannog.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skandranon posted:

I'd love to see the thing leap at the Skaven like the Rabbit of Caerbannog.

Their dogs get a special upgrade in the RPG over normal small dogs: They have the Warrior Born trait, meaning they have a natural killer instinct and talent for war that buffs their weapon accuracy and parrying slightly. I was playing the RPG as a stormvermin once and got my rear end handed to me by a simple rat catcher and his terrier.

I want that to happen in this game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll admit that part of why I want the rat-catcher is because I grew up with a Jack Russell Terrier. That little bastard was smart as hell, loyal to a fault, but a complete and utter little jackass when he knew he could get away with it. I am a glutton for punishment and want another when I finally get the time. The best worst best dogs. :3:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 23, 2015

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Night10194 posted:

Their dogs get a special upgrade in the RPG over normal small dogs: They have the Warrior Born trait, meaning they have a natural killer instinct and talent for war that buffs their weapon accuracy and parrying slightly. I was playing the RPG as a stormvermin once and got my rear end handed to me by a simple rat catcher and his terrier.

I want that to happen in this game.

Man you could play as a stormvermin in the RPG? Thats awesome.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

AndroidHub posted:

I don't see them doing joke characters like that, but if the game stays popular and profitable I guess anything is possible.

I figure we could get a Halfling, a Slayer, or a High Elf (probably a sorcerer), plus whatever other humans that make sense (Sister of Sigmar or a warrior priest, Bretonian Knight?)

As cool as a Saurian or Skink would be I just don't see it lore-wise, aside form the fact that they hate skaven a whole lot, though if they did add characters that didn't get acknowledged by the rest it could be a pretty funny addition (nobody talk to it maybe it will go away.)

There's really no reason that a Black Orc merc wouldn't be allowed as long as he wasn't a complete Nob about it. The Empire had no problem hiring the armored orcs, nevermind units like Richter Kreuger just showing up to help when things were lopsided. Elves, dwarves and the various human factions all have an excuse to be there including some of the oddball units like battlefield duelists.

If we're dragging Lizardmen in, it should totally come with one of the human Albion casters in support. Because a half naked guy doing his best Celt impression would be glorious. An Imperial Master Engineer with a multitude of ranged options to go with the Brettonian knight rolling dual melee weapons would be a cool thing too assuming pubbies didn't just use him as a second excuse for friendly fire. Hell, a Dark Elf Ranger or Corsair would work pretty well too. Warhammer as a setting isn't nearly as... stupid as 40k. They never quite lost the tone as much as 40k.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Microwaves Mom posted:

The Skaven book is a mixture of 'Here's how to make ridiculous Skaven villains' and 'Here's how to use the same rules to play as Skaven.' Same for the vampire and Chaos books. It was great fun. We went around being forced to capture increasingly ridiculous things for a Master Moulder to work on while he bet on if we'd all get murdered with our Warlord and laughed at us. :allears:

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

Wfrp 2e Children of the Horned Rat

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nebiros posted:

There's really no reason that a Black Orc merc wouldn't be allowed as long as he wasn't a complete Nob about it.
Dwarves and orcs REALLY do not get along on principle in WH Fantasy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

All the more reason to include an orc, I want to see the grogs poo poo a brick.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Also we are thinking of this in just one way. Why couldn't the next development be playing as bad guys against the Empire? I mean humans aren't a whole lot stronger and tougher than clan rats.

Characters to play as include:

Dark elf something
Dark dwarf something
Chaos warrior
Vampire count something (though don't these guys ally themselves with the Empire in the end times?)
Skaven something (lol)

Personally I think it would be great to go from slaughtering clan rats and then their next DLC or whatever is you slaughtering Empire defenders in some other city.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Somehow, hordes of humans popping out of holes in the ground and running at you in giant ineffectual swarms doesn't seem as fitting

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Even Dark Elves are fighting the Skaven and Chaos in the end times. Vampires and most sentient undead are as well. Literally the point of the End Times is "chaos and skaven vs".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Somehow, hordes of humans popping out of holes in the ground and running at you in giant ineffectual swarms doesn't seem as fitting

Well I wasn't suggesting if you end up fighting Orcs that they just reskin the Skaven as Orcs and run for it.

I imagine it would be more citywatchmen everywhere with the occasional patrol of something marching around, and if you cause too much of a commotion they raise the alarm and more humans converge on you from streets and things.

I mean it's a dumb idea really, the only enemies I can see easily implemented are Orcs, Vampire Counts, and Tomb Kings.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Coolguye posted:

Even Dark Elves are fighting the Skaven and Chaos in the end times. Vampires and most sentient undead are as well. Literally the point of the End Times is "chaos and skaven vs".

Yeah I know the Elves hugged out their millenia long civil war, wasn't 100% sure about Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings

At least that leaves five races they haven't touched yet for heroes: Bretonnia, High Elves, Dark Elves, Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings.

All of those would be pretty cool really.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Coolguye posted:

Dwarves and orcs REALLY do not get along on principle in WH Fantasy.

There's an elf in the party.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nebiros posted:

There's an elf in the party.

Elves and Dwarfs are both on the same side of Order, to be fair. There is a fundamental hatred between Greenskins and Dwarfs, quite literally as a matter of fact: IIRC, all Dwarf units automatically get Hatred (re-roll to hit) against any Greenskin on tabletop.

If they want a playable Orc, they need only leverage the End Times setting. Old grudges fade when the end of the world itself is right in your face.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

No. 6 posted:

This is the best Error signing in. "on authentication failed: Ticket for other app" simulator ever.

It is. I haven't played much lately, because when I've tried I've gotten all kinds of error messages. If I don't manage to join a game, it probably shouldn't crash the entire program. I wonder if the team behind Vermintide has enough manpower to keep the game running?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

If they want a playable Orc, they need only leverage the End Times setting. Old grudges fade when the end of the world itself is right in your face.

If the Grudge is fading that just means you need to re-ink it in the book. :black101: I'm not sure even the literal end of the world would make dwarves give up their grudges.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Except for the fact he's teamed up with a god drat wood elf.

It also doesn't need to apply to all dwarves, just this dwarf. And Bardin doens't give any fucks about anything it seems.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 23, 2015

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010
Do you guys still play Vermintide? I have been trying to get some games on for few nights now but both Mumble and Steam group has been pretty much dead every time I check them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm still interested in the game but i am slammed harder than a crooked nail at work recently

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Does this game have any sort of dynamic map features other than the positioning of pickups?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I'm still interested as well, though Fallout 4 is also very compelling, so time is at a premium. Will definitely be making some time when that horde mode drops though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Geight posted:

Does this game have any sort of dynamic map features other than the positioning of pickups?

No, once you've played through all the levels the only thing stopping them being set pieces you can practice over and over is the dynamic AI director and the loot.

Its still fun though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Geight posted:

there are a couple spots in maps where you'll be sent down one of two paths - one i can think of off the top of my head is on supply and demand shortly before you get to the park with the fountain that leads to the carpenter's guild with the grimoire

other than that, no

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a couple of different places where the tunnel can cave in on the ending run of the enemy below, although it doesn't change much.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Kitchner posted:

No, once you've played through all the levels the only thing stopping them being set pieces you can practice over and over is the dynamic AI director and the loot.

Yikes, I was worried about that being the case. I feel like I caved in to my group's peer pressure and pissed away $30 on a game I don't find that fun or interesting.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Geight posted:

Yikes, I was worried about that being the case. I feel like I caved in to my group's peer pressure and pissed away $30 on a game I don't find that fun or interesting.

How would random walls popping up make it more fun? The fun part is bashing in rat skulls.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Bashing in rat skulls got old fast, a random wall or two might make me less bored as I shuffle through the same handful of missions over and over to get a thing that will help me bash rat skulls better directly or indirectly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would like to see a bit more variation in the level layouts/objectives themselves, a bit like how payday 2 does it on some heists, but the most important thing really is the combat and if the basic gameplay of slapping rats doesn't do it for you then different levels won't change that.

Have you tried every character a few times? Most players have a few characters or weapons that just don't work for them (probably most who don't like a character feel this way about the elf) so if you've been playing the elf then it's no wonder you're not having fun. I find the witch hunter and sgt way more fun than the rest of the crew myself

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You smack a rat with a giant hammer and its skull detonates and your brain starts flooding with dopamine and then you think, WOAH

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I have played every character a few times, trying out various weapons to see if perhaps the fun was merely hiding behind a few hours. The closest thing to a satisfying melee weapon I've found is the Sergeants mace and shield combo, just because the high knockdown rate makes my swings feel like they're doing something instead of just slicing through a mud-colored tide of not-zombies.

I do appreciate the effort, but I think I'm doomed to be bored by this game until my friends find something else to do.

You smack a rat with a giant hammer and its skull detonates and your brain starts flooding with dopamine and then you think, WOAH

I just don't have this reaction, I don't know why. :smith:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
You're probably part rat.

In all seriousness though it's OK to find a game we all like boring. If you're friends play it constantly and you're not a loot fiend I can see how it gets dull. I tend to play a couple of games to try and get better loot and then go back to Fallout 4.

Theres no reason to get the loot other than to increase my rat killing abilities allowing me to get better loot but I find it fun stabbing rats to death and the loot is just a yard stick measuring my relative success.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah I'm not trying to stomp in here and rain on everyone's parade for having fun with it, more just trying to figure out why -this- horde-killing game is suddenly boring to me when I was perfectly fine wasting hundreds of hours on payday, l4d, KF, etc.

For whatever reason I'm not getting a :hellyeah: feeling when I slay rats, and the game is about slaying rats, so.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It might be you just really like guns better than giant hammers and rapiers and poo poo.

I mean I feel basically the same way except it was L4D that bored me a ton while I loving love hitting rats, despite knowing they're both well designed games, and I've figured out it's mostly that I really like the melee aspect.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I like axes the best, as they get stuck in the rats neck sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I don't know... It's like whole generations of those things have died at my hands. Mothers, fathers, grandfathers, little baby rats. Sometimes I wonder if our lives are really more valuable than theirs. You know what I mean?

• Locked thread